ADVERTISEMENT

Workout/Health Thread

big_country90

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
Picturing Carl doing yoga in his garage got me thinking that we haven't had a thread like this in a while. I’m always down for sharing health/diet/workout tips.

I lift weights about 4 times per week, play full court basketball 3-4 mornings each week, and run on the days I don’t play ball. At 6’4, 290 ish, that’s no small feat, imo. Achilles’ heel has always been my diet. As I get older, now 41, it gets harder and harder to maintain or lose weight. I have recently decided to start doing a one meal per day fast, where I only eat in the evenings. The only other thing I consume would be water or a diet drink with 0 calories. This week alone, I’ve lost 6 pounds. I really think that this might be my magic bullet. I’m obviously cutting a lot of calories, plus I am fasting for over 20 hours each day. I know I cannot do this every day of my life, but if I cycle this in for a few weeks every month, it’s hard telling how much weight I can lose. After 3 days, I wasn’t even hungry anymore at noon. It’s going well. I’d like to think I have a decent build. I’m fairly muscular under my cushion. 30-40 pounds or so would do me good. I think I can do it.

How dare you accuse me of yoga? Im in the garage doing embarrassingly low weight barbell lifts and drafting manifestos.

Last edited:
I try to lift 3 days/week, mostly total body conpound lifts. Been trying to do more zone 2 cardio (which is basically just fast walking or very slow jogging). My resting HR is pretty low (53) but I’m not in great cardio shape/VO2max is probably not good.

My diet is actually decent but I have terrible cholesterol in spite of good diet (low triglycerides, low Hg A1c, BMI 23, low-ish HDL, high LDL with high ApoB) so have been contemplating starting a statin. For now trying to eat more oats and fiber while keeping protein high. Cutting back some on saturated fat and increasing olive oil/fatty fish.

I too never eat breakfast. Black AM coffee only then lunch then dinner.

My resting HR is pretty low (53) but I’m not in great cardio shape/VO2max is probably not good.
That is pretty impressive. My oral surgeon asked me if I am a runner, prior to putting me under because my heart rate was around 55 or so, maybe lower. For some reason he did not want me to die on his watch.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
That is pretty impressive. My oral surgeon asked me if I am a runner, prior to putting me under because my heart rate was around 55 or so, maybe lower. For some reason he did not want me to die on his watch.

I wish I could take credit but I think it’s mostly genetics (like my bad cholesterol). It definitely trends lower when I’m doing cardio and low stress work week but even when I was sedentary I was around 60-61.

I mean im not in great cardio shape . In fact my HR gets to 140-150 with not a ton of output. I doubt I could do a mile in under 7 minutes. When I try to do zone 2 (purposefully keeping HR around 120-130ish) I’m at a very brisk walk, rarely a slow jog.

If you want to lose weight, you simply have to burn more calories than you take in. I did it through running five days a week, drinking water and no soda of any kind, and watching added sugars in what I eat.

If you want to lose weight, you simply have to burn more calories than you take in. I did it through running five days a week, drinking water and no soda of any kind, and watching added sugars in what I eat.
You can consumer sugar, just run longer.

How dare you accuse me of yoga? Im in the garage doing embarrassingly low weight barbell lifts and drafting manifestos.

There are days that I get embarrassingly low weights and simply try to do as many reps as I possibly can. There is science behind lifting that way, and a lot of times I get just as good a workout, if not better, from doing low weights and high reps. I will end my week that way more often than not.

Picturing Carl doing yoga in his garage got me thinking that we haven't had a thread like this in a while. I’m always down for sharing health/diet/workout tips.

I lift weights about 4 times per week, play full court basketball 3-4 mornings each week, and run on the days I don’t play ball. At 6’4, 290 ish, that’s no small feat, imo. Achilles’ heel has always been my diet. As I get older, now 41, it gets harder and harder to maintain or lose weight. I have recently decided to start doing a one meal per day fast, where I only eat in the evenings. The only other thing I consume would be water or a diet drink with 0 calories. This week alone, I’ve lost 6 pounds. I really think that this might be my magic bullet. I’m obviously cutting a lot of calories, plus I am fasting for over 20 hours each day. I know I cannot do this every day of my life, but if I cycle this in for a few weeks every month, it’s hard telling how much weight I can lose. After 3 days, I wasn’t even hungry anymore at noon. It’s going well. I’d like to think I have a decent build. I’m fairly muscular under my cushion. 30-40 pounds or so would do me good. I think I can do it.
Dude, there is literally NOTHING about IF that appeals to me. Proponents like to argue the science behind why it may be more effective compared to traditional reduced calorie diet, but I am confident they are exaggerating the actual effects on % increase in weight loss.

What's more likely happening is a simple, logical explanation of a reduction in energy consumed from restricting opportunities to eat. Fvck that noise. I've dropped ~60# from closely tracking my caloric intake combined with common sense strategies for optimal health: reduce SFA, whole grains, avoiding processed foods.

One thing I struggle giving up is cocaine and hookers.

Dude, there is literally NOTHING about IF that appeals to me. Proponents like to argue the science behind why it may be more effective compared to traditional reduced calorie diet, but I am confident they are exaggerating the actual effects on % increase in weight loss.

What's more likely happening is a simple, logical explanation of a reduction in energy consumed from restricting opportunities to eat. Fvck that noise. I've dropped ~60# from closely tracking my caloric intake combined with common sense strategies for optimal health: reduce SFA, whole grains, avoiding processed foods.

One thing I struggle giving up is cocaine and hookers.
There’s a pretty good randomized trial (Ethan Weiss at UCSF) that suggests no major benefit to IF. So I think you’re probably right.

I just do it because I like it.
Hard to argue with calories in vs calories out. Some people just accomplish lower calories easier with a smaller feeding window.

There’s a pretty good randomized trial (Ethan Weiss at UCSF) that suggests no major benefit to IF. So I think you’re probably right.

Hard to argue with calories in vs calories out. Some people just accomplish lower calories easier with a smaller feeding window.

I think it’s a combination of the two. Your body has to burn energy somehow, and if there is no food to create that energy, your body uses your stored energy. That’s what IF does if you do it right. Likewise, you’re simply eating fewer calories by OMAD fasting. No doubt I’m cutting 1,500-2,000 calories/day...easily. I also feel way better right now than when I eat multiple meals, even though I’m going 22 hours without eating.

And black, nobody is giving up their hookers. Let’s not go crazy.

I think it’s a combination of the two. Your body has to burn energy somehow, and if there is no food to create that energy, your body uses your stored energy. That’s what IF does if you do it right. Likewise, you’re simply eating fewer calories by OMAD fasting. No doubt I’m cutting 1,500-2,000 calories/day...easily. I also feel way better right now than when I eat multiple meals, even though I’m going 22 hours without eating.

And black, nobody is giving up their hookers. Let’s not go crazy.
What about the cocaine?

Bro science tells me IF combined with fasted cardio works because it forces your body to use energy from glycogen stores instead of the readily-available food you ate prior.

I have been eating once a day for a couple years. I can easily maintain single digit body fat while indulging on snacks as much as I want during my 2 hour eating window.

Reactions: big_country90
Bro science tells me IF combined with fasted cardio works because it forces your body to use energy from glycogen stores instead of the readily-available food you ate prior.

I have been eating once a day for a couple years. I can easily maintain single digit body fat while indulging on snacks as much as I want during my 2 hour eating window.
The trial wasn’t done in bro population (
athletes/lifters) …just regular people, so there may be some wiggle room.

As I recall - Layne Norton (the science bro) isn’t convinced IF is best. Attia mentioned he’s seen clients (?presumably not on TRT?) lose too much lean mass and end up with worse body fat % when they do IF - though I think he mentioned they were doing 1 day per week fasts.

I’m of the belief that if it works for you then stick with it. A lot of people swear by fasted steady state cardio and as you know sometimes the anecdotes are out in front of the “research.”

Last edited:

Cut the shit bro. We all know the main difference here is you can afford the expensive hookers and top shelf blow when guys like me are snorting stomped on baking soda and banging $20 hookers.

I try to lift 3 days/week, mostly total body conpound lifts. Been trying to do more zone 2 cardio (which is basically just fast walking or very slow jogging). My resting HR is pretty low (53) but I’m not in great cardio shape/VO2max is probably not good.
Speaking of VO2 Max, for some reason mine is dropping. It’s not for lack of effort. Been training for a half, do HITT, & bike on days I don’t run. I’ve heard different theories, even that running on grades over 5% could effect the readings. I run a lot of hills but something isn’t right.

Speaking of VO2 Max, for some reason mine is dropping. It’s not for lack of effort. Been training for a half, do HITT, & bike on days I don’t run. I’ve heard different theories, even that running on grades over 5% could effect the readings. I run a lot of hills but something isn’t right.
I’m not we’ll versed on VO2 stuff, but I wonder how accurate the watch is at calculating.

I’m not we’ll versed on VO2 stuff, but I wonder how accurate the watch is at calculating.
A very valid question. My watch used to have it at a level that seemed fairly accurate but it nosedived. I've tried resetting & other "fixes" on Apple's site to no avail. I can't justify ditching for a Garmin just yet (I haven't had my current watch two years) but I think it's on the horizon.

A very valid question. My watch used to have it at a level that seemed fairly accurate but it nosedived. I've tried resetting & other "fixes" on Apple's site to no avail. I can't justify ditching for a Garmin just yet (I haven't had my current watch two years) but I think it's on the horizon.

I really know little to nothing about running/biking.

I do have a good friend/colleague that is a guru in that area and he is big on long zone two training. Which is boring to me but I think the data is solid. I also think spending long times in high heart rates isn't great...

Amazon product ASIN 1937715884

Reactions: SamSwimmer
Just an update. 5-6 weeks into this (can’t recall exact start date) and I’ve lost about 15 lbs. This is by changing nothing about my otherwise normal routine, with the exception of eating one meal a day. I eat one meal in the evening, then whatever snacks I want, and usually stick to about a 2 hour window. In roughly 40+ days, I’ve “had” to eat lunch 5-6 times, and I’m still down that much. I feel great. It really does do wonders.

Also, with the exception of one or two days, I have lost literally no energy and I’ve seen other benefits. My gut health is way better, and I have even started to notice more definition in my arms. I’m going to stick this out and see where it takes me. It has been great so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT