ADVERTISEMENT

A Wasted Basketball Season

I was never impressed with this teams play all year. Did we win games for sure, but no defense and constantly watching sloppy shots. It was only a matter of time. This type of basketball isn’t enjoyable to me. I want defense and smart shots. Kinsey with the ball in his hand at the end had a shot blocked and bad shot. Smh, Elmore will always be my GOAT at Marshall!

Last edited:
DD shut the rest of the offense down to get Kinsey his reward, and then gave him the ball every time to basically take everyone else out of the offense, until a few seconds when he found out he couldn't get off a shot.

This is another clear case of being out coached. You win when your clearly much more talented, we've lost when the talent is close or barely in our favor.

We should have known when we lost the first game in that high school gym we were in trouble. Elmore is the GOAT and the legendary coach DD would not have made it to the dance without him. I really hope Spears moves on to a coach that can recruit - and coach.

This is the first time I’ve said this. Because I don’t think DD ever got the credit deserved for how monumental an achievement making the round of 32 was for us. That and the lower expectations/commitment of basketball here, he had a long leash in my opinion.

But time to give someone else a chance, if you can’t even SNIFF winning the conference tourney with this team? I don’t know what else you need.

Well, all those who've blindly followed the Danny D party line for almost a decade now and have spent their time and money to journey to Pensacola and have now had all their weekend hopes and championship dreams rudely shattered, all I can say is "Have Fun the next couple of days"!! After all, according to Danny it's all about "having fun", not winning, not championships, but having "FUN". Are we all "Having Fun", Herd Fans??

Reactions: RhinoD
I wanted to give Dan Dan and another season, especially if finished regular season champs, Conference champs, made the big dance or any of the above.. but we didn’t get any of that… fire the guy and let someone else build a new team, I’ll take the suffering till then because it can’t get any worse really.

DD shut the rest of the offense down to get Kinsey his reward, and then gave him the ball every time to basically take everyone else out of the offense, until a few seconds when he found out he couldn't get off a shot.

This is another clear case of being out coached. You win when your clearly much more talented, we've lost when the talent is close or barely in our favor.
Any smart team could have face guarded Cam, just like they did tonight. They shut him down, and it never allowed us to play the way we normally do…that and forcing the ball into Kinsey, which isn’t how he should operate.

It’s no surprise that we lost. They didn’t miss the first half, and we didn’t hit anything. Then we pull up and slow down the game up 7 with 3 to play, that’s also not how we should have played. Awful coaching, per usual.

We should have known when we lost the first game in that high school gym we were in trouble. Elmore is the GOAT and the legendary coach DD would not have made it to the dance without him. I really hope Spears moves on to a coach that can recruit - and coach.
Very good point.
DD had Elmore
Doc had Cato
Amazing how one player can elevate a program.

All that matters is the tournament he says.

He was talking about the senior citizens shuffle board tournament.

2022-singles-tournament-mens-consolation-2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Just like football… no one gives a shit if you win 70% of your games in a mediocre conference when you lose the ones that matter. Beat ODU last week and guarantee the NIT (nope). Beat a below .500 Texas State team to make the conference semis after a two round bye (nope). They’re lucky anyone shows up to any Marshall sporting events when they consistently lose any game that means anything.

I would wager they will go for a p2play. We sell tickets, which is the only metric that matters in those set ups….
I thought the CBI or whatever those tourneys are called were being played in 1 location (Daytona?) so I don't think we would be paying to play.

I thought the CBI or whatever those tourneys are called were being played in 1 location (Daytona?) so I don't think we would be paying to play.
There is a fee. About $27,000. Probably not worth it since no games at the Cam for us to sell tix.

Pay for play..the younger guys need the experience ..tough loss.. that was a much improved team that beat them..not the coaches fault the players lost the game.
This is a terrible take... Did you watch the game? We got out-coached at every turn.

Its time to pass the hat, send an intern downtown and put together DD's retirement gift... Pay his first and last at a nice condo in Myrtle Beach and wish him well.

Here is a recap of the season --
• Schedule is released -- Immediately clear that its the weakest schedule in Marshall history.
• DD's preseason presser -- We purposely scheduled down because we want to get easy wins to "build confidence" because all that matters is conference play/conference tournament.
• Opening loss to DII until 9 months ago Queens College.
• Mostly a cakewalk through the next 12 games made up of literally the worst teams in all of DI. MAC bottom feeders, Horizon League bottom feeders, Glenville State, etc.
• Mostly good run in the conference regular season with a couple glaring f-ck ups (Georgia Southern, La. Monroe)
• Chance to win the regular season by beating a below average ODU team -- Absolute choke
• Still the 3 seed in the league tournament, get lucky that ODU loses to the 11 seed -- Absolute choke

Last edited:
This is a terrible take... Did you watch the game? We got out-coached at every turn.

Its time to pass the hat, send an intern downtown and put together DD's retirement gift... Pay his first and last at a nice condo in Myrtle Beach and wish him well.

• Schedule is released -- Immediately clear that its the weakest schedule in Marshall history.
• DD's preseason presser -- We purposely scheduled down because we want to get easy wins to "build confidence" because all that matters is conference play/conference tournament.
• Mostly a cakewalk through the next 12 games made up of literally the worst teams in all of DI. MAC bottom feeders, Horizon League bottom feeders, Glenville State, etc.
• Mostly good run in the conference regular season with a couple glaring f-ck ups (Georgia Southern, La. Monroe)
• Chance to win the regular season by beating a below average ODU team -- Absolute choke
• Still the 3 seed in the league tournament, get lucky that ODU loses to the 11 seed -- Absolute choke
Those MAC teams Marshall beat were not bottom feeders including Toledo who was the champ of the league, Akron and Ohio. The schedule was not as weak as you claim and that team that beat them held Old Dominion to 36 points which is unheard of. They had a very good defensive team and shot the ball better than they usually do in that game. I still do not think Marshall can get a better coach than DD. Who would you suggest could do a better job considering Marshall is just a mid major school in sports.?

Last edited:
This is the first time I’ve said this. Because I don’t think DD ever got the credit deserved for how monumental an achievement making the round of 32 was for us. That and the lower expectations/commitment of basketball here, he had a long leash in my opinion.

But time to give someone else a chance, if you can’t even SNIFF winning the conference tourney with this team? I don’t know what else you need.
Yes he did. It just fell flat when he failed to build off of that success starting with completely face planting the next season.

Reactions: Tim_N_Montana
Yes he did. It just fell flat when he failed to build off of that success starting with completely face planting the next season.
Get another coach unless it is his brother Mike which is highly doubtful and we start losing again . We cannot recruit like the major universities do . It is even worse now that this pay for play thing has been approved.

Toledo 25-6 1st in MAC
Akron 21-10 3rd in MAC
Ohio 18-13 5th in MAC
Miami 12-19 8th in MAC out of 12 teams

Morehead State 21-11 1st in Ohio Valley Conference
Tennessee Tech 16-17 2nd in Ohio Valley Conference

Duquesne 20-11 6th out of 15 Teams in the Atlantic 10

Robert Morris 16-17 7th out of 11 teams in the Horizon

Queens University 18-15 9th out of 15 Teams in ASUN

Coppin State 9-22 6th out of 8 teams in the MEAC

Chicago State 11-20 No affiliation this year, left the Western Athletic conference 6/22.

Where are the bottom feeders you are talking about? I suggest the only teams that could qualify on this list would be Coppin State and Chicago State. Thou dost exaggerate too much!!

I agree that we choked. I don't believe any of us feels as bad as the Team.

Last edited:
The CBI tournament is likely to offer the University of Detroit Mercy a spot in their tournament despite a 14-19 record. The reason being, that Detroit Mercy has a player, Antoine Davis, who is only 3 points shy of Pete Maravich's record for all-time points scored: (3,667 points). Antoine Davis has (3,664 points). Maravich played only 3 years and that was before 3 pointers were part of the game. Davis has played 5 full seasons ( I assume he got 5 seasons instead of four because of covid, but he played in 2020-21. Did players get a free year of eligibilty then because of Covid?) Detroit Mercy only has to pay $27,500 to get into this year's CBI tourney. Should they do it? it would be great publicity for the school.

The CBI tournament is likely to offer the University of Detroit Mercy a spot in their tournament despite a 14-19 record. The reason being, that Detroit Mercy has a player, Antoine Davis, who is only 3 points shy of Pete Maravich's record for all-time points scored: (3,667 points). Antoine Davis has (3,664 points). Maravich played only 3 years and that was before 3 pointers were part of the game. Davis has played 5 full seasons ( I assume he got 5 seasons instead of four because of covid, but he played in 2020-21. Did players get a free year of eligibilty then because of Covid?) Detroit Mercy only has to pay $27,500 to get into this year's CBI tourney. Should they do it? it would be great publicity for the school.

I have an idea. Donate the $27,000 to the general scholarship fund and don’t embarrass your school with gimmicks.

Toledo 25-6 1st in MAC
Akron 21-10 3rd in MAC
Ohio
Kent State the number 2 team in the MAC lost to Houston ranked number 1 in the nation lost by 5 on the road. You people simply understate how good the MAC is. Marhsall had a schedule good compared to other mid major schools. DD has done a great job for the talent Marshall is able to attract.

Except this kid has played 5 years and Pete played only 3. best of luck to him but he played something like 60 more games to get there.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999

They shouldn't even consider that breaking Pistol Pete's record.

Except this kid has played 5 years and Pete played only 3. best of luck to him but he played something like 60 more games to get there.
Yes. Antoine Davis has played in 144 college games. I don’t know how many Maravich played in but it couldn’t have been more than 90. Plus Maravich played before 3 pointers.

Those MAC teams Marshall beat were not bottom feeders including Toledo who was the champ of the league, Akron and Ohio. The schedule was not as weak as you claim and that team that beat them held Old Dominion to 36 points which is unheard of. They had a very good defensive team and shot the ball better than they usually do in that game. I still do not think Marshall can get a better coach than DD. Who would you suggest could do a better job considering Marshall is just a mid major school in sports.?

Good lord, your comment is riddled with such nonsense I don't know where to start.

The schedule will get a final judgement of its value if a NIT at large bid is received.

Kent State the number 2 team in the MAC lost to Houston ranked number 1 in the nation lost by 5 on the road. You people simply understate how good the MAC is. Marhsall had a schedule good compared to other mid major schools. DD has done a great job for the talent Marshall is able to attract.
The MAC is garbage on the same level as the SBC, and there are absolutely no metrics that say Marshall's schedule was "good" even when compared to other mid-major programs.

Here are the actual numbers following our final game of the season...

Record -- 24-8
NET ranking -- 84
OOC Strength of Schedule -- 295
Overall Strength of Schedule -- 225
Quality wins -- 0 (BPI)
Quad 1 record -- 0-0 (We didn't play a "good" team all season)
Quad 2 record -- 2-2 (Teams regarded as "above average")
Quad 3 record -- 8-5 (Teams regarded as "below average")
Quad 4 record -- 13-1 (Teams regarded as "bad")
DII record -- 1-0

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT