ADVERTISEMENT

A Wasted Basketball Season

The schedule will get a final judgement of its value if a NIT at large bid is received.
Southern Miss already has an NIT bid locked up as regular season champions... I would venture there is about a 0% chance the NIT is going to take two teams from the SBC.

And depending on who wins tonight, there is a chance ULL would also be ahead of us in the pecking order (if South Alabama wins and makes the NCAA).

We will either pay the $27,500 to play in the CBI, or turn in uniforms next Monday.

What are you even talking about? I wouldn’t describe 2018-19 as a face plant at 23-14 and a banner, however you slice it.
You're going to tout winning the CIT? Beating up on teams like IUPI, Presbyterian, Hampton, and Green Bay. Wow what an accomplishment.

Yes we faceplanted. The season after going to the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 we finish 6th and win only one conference tournament game. Still having Elmore, Burks, West, Williams, and other players from the previous season.

Reactions: CamJoanBaller
Kent State the number 2 team in the MAC lost to Houston ranked number 1 in the nation lost by 5 on the road. You people simply understate how good the MAC is. Marhsall had a schedule good compared to other mid major schools. DD has done a great job for the talent Marshall is able to attract.
We can use transitive properties to make Marshall football almost as good as Alabama too. Fact is we played a bunch of nobodies. It's a pathetic resume that doesn't have us in any at-large conversations. However the Dandy Dan cultists like yourself will make every excuse for him like he's some hero that is doing Marshall some huge favor with his hands tied behind his back. Forgetting he stood there on the sideline with his arms crossed as the team completely cam unglued in the final minutes not knowing the situation and choking away a regular season title and an auto-bid to the NIT and then again stood there doing almost nothing as we allowed our lead to completely get taken from us letting a lesser team dictate the end of the game.

If Dan were not Dan he would have been fired well before this season. Except you olds want to hang on to your guy so much you'd sacrifice the program to do it.

Southern Miss already has an NIT bid locked up as regular season champions... I would venture there is about a 0% chance the NIT is going to take two teams from the SBC.

And depending on who wins tonight, there is a chance ULL would also be ahead of us in the pecking order (if South Alabama wins and makes the NCAA).

We will either pay the $27,500 to play in the CBI, or turn in uniforms next Monday.
Turn in the uniforms....if we wanted to play in post season we had ample opportunity to do so!

The MAC is garbage on the same level as the SBC, and there are absolutely no metrics that say Marshall's schedule was "good" even when compared to other mid-major programs.

Here are the actual numbers following our final game of the season...

Record -- 24-8
NET ranking -- 84
OOC Strength of Schedule -- 295
Overall Strength of Schedule -- 225
Quality wins -- 0 (BPI)
Quad 1 record -- 0-0 (We didn't play a "good" team all season)
Quad 2 record -- 2-2 (Teams regarded as "above average")
Quad 3 record -- 8-5 (Teams regarded as "below average")
Quad 4 record -- 13-1 (Teams regarded as "bad")
DII record -- 1-0
The fact that you think the SBC is as good as the MAC in football is asinine. That would be about as dumb as saying the MAC is as good the the SBC in football. Akron is the 4th or 5th best team in the MAC and would be the hands down best team in the SBC.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
The fact that you think the SBC is as good as the MAC in football is asinine. That would be about as dumb as saying the MAC is as good the the SBC in football. Akron is the 4th or 5th best team in the MAC and would be the hands down best team in the SBC.
You couldn't be more wrong... And unlike most uninformed folks, I have the numbers to back me up.

Conference RPI (as of 3/6/23)

14. SUN BELT
19. MAC

That's out of 32 leagues. (CUSA is 9th, for those who are curious)

But don't let facts get in the way of your nonsense argument for MAC greatness.

I was never impressed with this teams play all year. Did we win games for sure, but no defense and constantly watching sloppy shots. It was only a matter of time. This type of basketball isn’t enjoyable to me. I want defense and smart shots. Kinsey with the ball in his hand at the end had a shot blocked and bad shot. Smh, Elmore will always be my GOAT at Marshall!
Jon was a great player for the HERD.....But, I will bet you our all-time leading scorer, Mr. KINSEY will be making Big BUCK$ in the NBA next season.....which Elmore never achieved.

• Haha
Reactions: GoHerds
DD shut the rest of the offense down to get Kinsey his reward, and then gave him the ball every time to basically take everyone else out of the offense, until a few seconds when he found out he couldn't get off a shot.

This is another clear case of being out coached. You win when your clearly much more talented, we've lost when the talent is close or barely in our favor.
I beg to differ whf2....Kinsey should have passed LESS and taken more shots! His reasoning was he chose to get OTHER PLAYERS in the mix.

TOTAL TEAM PLAYER beside his (Kinsey) picture in the Dictionary!

Reactions: Elkview
Jon was a great player for the HERD.....But, I will bet you our all-time leading scorer, Mr. KINSEY will be making Big BUCK$ in the NBA next season.....which Elmore never achieved.
I like Kinsey, but he won't be playing in the NBA next year... No NBA team in this day and age is going to spend a draft pick on a 23 year old who played five years of college ball.

The most likely path is Kinsey ends up playing against Elmore in the G-League next season as an undrafted signee.

Kind of glad the suffering is over for this season. How is the baseball team doing?
Geenie.....they are performing better....record to date is (4-5).....got swept by St Johns [Big East] in Charleston, WV this weekend. They opened with 3-wins over St. Louis in Hoover, AL....lost 2of 3 @ Charleston Southern.

They host Radford (03/07)....and have a 3-game set with Canisius this weekend [March 9-11]..

Last edited:
Reactions: greengeezer
We should have known when we lost the first game in that high school gym we were in trouble. Elmore is the GOAT and the legendary coach DD would not have made it to the dance without him. I really hope Spears moves on to a coach that can recruit - and coach.
SO SPEAKS COACH Badger369.....ha ha ha ha

Any smart team could have face guarded Cam, just like they did tonight. They shut him down, and it never allowed us to play the way we normally do…that and forcing the ball into Kinsey, which isn’t how he should operate.

It’s no surprise that we lost. They didn’t miss the first half, and we didn’t hit anything. Then we pull up and slow down the game up 7 with 3 to play, that’s also not how we should have played. Awful coaching, per usual.
SO SAYS---COACH FreeddyReff.......how many wins do you have in basketball?

SO SAYS---COACH FreeddyReff.......how many wins do you have in basketball?
Well…

We won the county in 5th grade, so at least 10 wins there. I also played some church league bball. I also dominated the NBA2K franchise. Aside from the playing part… I’ve also met the professor from AND1, and watched the globetrotters a few time.

Id say I’m just about as qualified as everyone else on this board to coach the Herd the way we do.

Well…

We won the county in 5th grade, so at least 10 wins there. I also played some church league bball. I also dominated the NBA2K franchise. Aside from the playing part… I’ve also met the professor from AND1, and watched the globetrotters a few time.

Id say I’m just about as qualified as everyone else on this board to coach the Herd the way we do.
GREAT REPLY, FreddyReef....You make a lot of Cent$......much more than several dummies on this social medial board.

Carry on--my man!

You're going to tout winning the CIT? Beating up on teams like IUPI, Presbyterian, Hampton, and Green Bay. Wow what an accomplishment.

Yes we faceplanted. The season after going to the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 we finish 6th and win only one conference tournament game. Still having Elmore, Burks, West, Williams, and other players from the previous season.
If Elmore didn't have a chance at the scoring title, that CIT was never happening for us.
It literally is the only reason MU participated, and it was a great narrative, but really, that was it.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

That teams fate was decided when Peneva left.

The MAC is garbage on the same level as the SBC, and there are absolutely no metrics that say Marshall's schedule was "good" even when compared to other mid-major programs.

Record -- 24-8
NET ranking -- 84
Quality wins -- 0 (BPI)
DII record -- 1-0
Lowly Eastern Michigan beat Michigan on the road. upset or not the big ten is hightly overrated . Look at their teams road records. You know the big schools get higher rankings and a lot of it because they wont play lower level schools on the road. What major team wants to play the MAC on the road?. I am not a MAC fan but the truth is they are not a garbage conference.

Record -- 24-8
NET ranking -- 84
Quality wins -- 0 (BPI)
DII record -- 1-0
So you say Toledo is not a good team? Then you do not know basketball. Your rankings are just your opinion.

I would rather play MAC teams than Sun Belt teams. At least I can find the MAC teams locations on a map.

So you say Toledo is not a good team? Then you do not know basketball. Your rankings are just your opinion.
That's the thing... None of the rankings I post every week are my opinion -- Those numbers are FACTS.

Your stance that the MAC is good (its not) is your opinion and its clearly not based in reality.

Conference RPI (as of 3/6)

14. SUN BELT
19. MAC

That isn't my opinion. That's where those two leagues rank out of the 32 leagues (CUSA is 9th).

The MAC blows, and the winner of the MAC is no better than Southern Miss, Marshall or James Madison... According to the NET, RPI and every other legitimate ranking system those are either Quad 2 or Quad 3 teams, meaning they are not "good" by the NCAA's standards.

Take the Kelly green glasses off.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Coach is 75 years old. With all the years of experience everyone touts, the guy watched the clock tick down to 7 seconds with the confidence we would either make a half court shot or a double teamed three point shot to tie. All while forgetting the other team can just foul us, send us to the line and win the game.

The other coaches must have been shitting their pants as the clock ticked down. Giddy. Wondering if it was real life.

I'll be on the team of spare me of his past great moments. Only thing I recall is a tourney win some 5 years ago... & A very lucky championship.. Coach can't think cognitively anymore. Hire a young up and coming talent and pay him the 200k. I've seen enough.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
That's the thing... None of the rankings I post every week are my opinion -- Those numbers are FACTS.

Your stance that the MAC is good (its not) is your opinion and its clearly not based in reality.

Conference RPI (as of 3/6)

14. SUN BELT
19. MAC

That isn't my opinion. That's where those two leagues rank out of the 32 leagues (CUSA is 9th).

The MAC blows, and the winner of the MAC is no better than Southern Miss, Marshall or James Madison... According to the NET, RPI and every other legitimate ranking system those are either Quad 2 or Quad 3 teams, meaning they are not "good" by the NCAA's standards.

Take the Kelly green glasses off.
Those national rankings are opinion only too . They are facts only in their minds and the believers of them like you.

Those national rankings are opinion only too . They are facts only in their minds and the believers of them like you.
Lol... I can't argue with someone who doesn't understand how NET rankings, Ken Pom, RPI, etc work. Math is hard, and at this point, you aren't going to figure it out. It's not subjective.

The SBC is solidly mediocre at 14 out of 32 leagues... The MAC isn't even mediocre at 19 of 32.

The only place the MAC is "good," is your fantasy land.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
start explaining . I took the time to explain my thoughts.
Yeah, and they suck. Stop trying to think.
The fact you said My couldn't get a better coach than DD should disqualify you from posting on this thread.

You said, given MU being a mid major, they'd not get any coach who could top Dan's coaching?
You do realize every year, a mid major is actually pretty good, isn't the #1 team in America, from a mid major conference?
Look and see how many mid majors are in the top 25 and how many are getting votes.

To say DD is the best we can get, is token. Goddamn Sam is right. That means we expect to make the NCAA tournament about once a decade, in a lesser conference than we were in before...which also stagnates the program and leaves them as an afterthought.

Look at MU in football this year...you hire the right coach, you can beat the best.

Who does MU hire? Someone from a lower level, like D2, but has won championships and is a proven winner.

As I have said, someone motivated to be smarter than everyone else...because you need that more than anything as a mid major...and DD has proven, twice in a row, he isn't smart, at all.

You couldn't be more wrong... And unlike most uninformed folks, I have the numbers to back me up.

Conference RPI (as of 3/6/23)

14. SUN BELT
19. MAC

That's out of 32 leagues. (CUSA is 9th, for those who are curious)

But don't let facts get in the way of your nonsense argument for MAC greatness.
You're right about RPI... unfortunately they include the bottom of the conferences as well. The top 4 teams in the MAC are better than any team in the SBC. You can whine about that all you want, but its true.

You're right about RPI... unfortunately they include the bottom of the conferences as well. The top 4 teams in the MAC are better than any team in the SBC. You can whine about that all you want, but its true.
Again... This isn't that hard to figure out.

Average NET ranking of the top 4 teams ---
SBC -- 88.25
MAC -- 98.25

Don't like the NET rankings because you don't understand them? -- OK, here's average RPI of top 4 --
SBC -- 67.25
MAC -- 90.5

The MAC, is in no way, better than the SBC... It's just not and some of you guys are delusional.

Last edited:
That teams fate was decided when Peneva left.
I don't buy that at all. You're telling me that Peneva was so good he's the difference in 6 spots? We went from defending champ to 6th place all the while still having two of the top five scorers in program history on that roster. I'm not saying we should have won it all again, but we darn sure shouldn't have been as down as we were.

Sorry Dan did not use that appearance to spring board the program. He did the same thing Doc did after 2014. He started to coast and it showed.

Dude, no. Please stop. What @RhinoD is doing to you is uncomfortable to watch.

Again... This isn't that hard to figure out.

Average NET ranking of the top 4 teams ---
SBC -- 88.25
MAC -- 98.25

Don't like the NET rankings because you don't understand them? -- OK, here's average RPI of top 4 --
SBC -- 67.25
MAC -- 90.5

The MAC, is in no way, better than the SBC... It's just not and some of you guys are delusional.
I can tell you this much if Houston had been in the MAC they would not be number 1. Playing on the road at those top MAC teams is a real task.

• Haha
Reactions: HerdnBucks
I can tell you this much if Houston had been in the MAC they would not be number 1. Playing on the road at those top MAC teams is a real task.
No Thanks Luc Belaire GIF by Dot Cromwell

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT