ADVERTISEMENT

A Wasted Basketball Season

Are we still really trying to make an argument that Houston wouldn't walk to NCAA Tournament bid like 99% of the time in the MAC?
You are making a new argument . I only stated that the MAC is not a garbage team basketball league. I only stated a few facts that do solidify my argument. No one is saying Houston is not a great team.

You are making a new argument . I only stated that the MAC is not a garbage team basketball league. I only stated a few facts that do solidify my argument. No one is saying Houston is not a great team.

season 9 running in circles GIF

Houston is a great team and I am aware who the beat on road including one of the hardest places being Memphis. But the MAC is one of the most or the most places to play on the road and if you do not think Kent State,Toledo and Akron are not garbage teams then you do not follow them very closely.

Houston is a great team and I am aware who the beat on road including one of the hardest places being Memphis. But the MAC is one of the most or the most places to play on the road and if you do not think Kent State,Toledo and Akron are not garbage teams then you do not follow them very closely.

I've never said those teams were garbage.

You stated Houston would not be ranked #1 in the MAC insinuating that they would lose more games than they have this season.

I stated you were wrong, and provided information to back that up.

I'm stating that Houston would RUN THROUGH the MAC, CUSA, SB, etc.....

They're playing at a different level than the teams in those conferences are.

I've never said those teams were garbage.

You stated Houston would not be ranked #1 in the MAC insinuating that they would lose more games than they have this season.

I stated you were wrong, and provided information to back that up.

I'm stating that Houston would RUN THROUGH the MAC, CUSA, SB, etc.....

They're playing at a different level than the teams in those conferences are.
Going through a whole season without losing one game in MAC or any mid major school is nearly impossible . One loss in the MAC will hurt you much more than one loss in Houstons league. Do you not agree?

Reactions: FreddyReef
Going through a whole season without losing one game in MAC or any mid major school is nearly impossible . One loss in the MAC will hurt you much more than one loss in Houstons league. Do you not agree?

I've already provided the fact that they lost a game to a 16-15 Temple squad whose NET ranking is 118, so no I don't think a loss to a Toledo (79 NET), Kent State (68 NET), or Akron (105 NET) would hurt them any worse.

I've already provided the fact that they lost a game to a 16-15 Temple squad whose NET ranking is 118, so no I don't think a loss to a Toledo (79 NET), Kent State (68 NET), or Akron (105 NET) would hurt them any worse.
I was assuming Houston was a member of the MAC . Would they get the same consideration as they do now?

The only two numbers that really matter, IMHO, are averaging nearly 5,000 fans in attendance per game, and a player forecast to go in the early rounds of the NBA. Maybe some influence from the overall power rating; the key is beating the teams you are supposed to beat. No one knows how good you are if you beat those you are supposed to because of the coaching decisions made during the games; who's played, etc., how many minutes, etc.

We aren't an NIT team because of the automatic qualifiers, but we would be in a process that didn't include that requirements.

But overall, our worst representation in getting into the NIT is that we lost our last two games to teams that won't be in any tourney at all.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The only two numbers that really matter, IMHO, are averaging nearly 5,000 fans in attendance per game, and a player forecast to go in the early rounds of the NBA. Maybe some influence from the overall power rating; the key is beating the teams you are supposed to beat. No one knows how good you are if you beat those you are supposed to because of the coaching decisions made during the games; who's played, etc., how many minutes, etc.

We aren't an NIT team because of the automatic qualifiers, but we would be in a process that didn't include that requirements.

But overall, our worst representation in getting into the NIT is that we lost our last two games to teams that won't be in any tourney at all.
I might as well jump into this circular stupidity by asking you how many rounds comprise the NBA draft. No looking it up. ;-)))

Tom Cruise Reaction GIF

A few points here...

Since when is "nearly 5,000 fans" in attendance impressive?

The early rounds of the NBA draft? -- There are only two rounds in the NBA draft. Kinsey will not be in either of them. NBA teams aren't going to spend a pick on a 23 year old that played 5 years of college. Especially when they know he's out of eligibility and can be signed as an undrafted free agent.

We aren't an NIT team because we finished third in a weak league and played a schedule outside the top 200.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I really thought we had something this season. The soft OOC schedule didn't prepare us well enough and killed any chance at the posts season. I don't care what the experts say, until we play a more rugged schedule and have the players to be physical, this is what we are going to get. Sad and disappointing ending to what could have been a signature season for Herd b'ball.

I really thought we had something this season. The soft OOC schedule didn't prepare us well enough and killed any chance at the posts season. I don't care what the experts say, until we play a more rugged schedule and have the players to be physical, this is what we are going to get. Sad and disappointing ending to what could have been a signature season for Herd b'ball.
When you look at it objectively we really didn't have anything. This team while it played a little better than last year it was still doing the same stuff that cost us last season. The difference is that the schedule was easier. Look at the games we lost and how we lost them. The most glaring three are Queens, ODU, and TXST. In the final two minutes we allowed the other team to dictate the game and get what they want all the while our head coach just stood there with his arms crossed watching it implode.

The ODU game makes me the most mad because Taylor was all over the place and no one on the floor seemed to understand that we were down 3 with under a minute to play. Dan didn't call any timeouts to settle Taylor down or draw up any plays. No he just let's the boys go out and play a fun brand of backyard hillbilly ball.

When you look at it objectively we really didn't have anything. This team while it played a little better than last year it was still doing the same stuff that cost us last season. The difference is that the schedule was easier. Look at the games we lost and how we lost them. The most glaring three are Queens, ODU, and TXST. In the final two minutes we allowed the other team to dictate the game and get what they want all the while our head coach just stood there with his arms crossed watching it implode.

The ODU game makes me the most mad because Taylor was all over the place and no one on the floor seemed to understand that we were down 3 with under a minute to play. Dan didn't call any timeouts to settle Taylor down or draw up any plays. No he just let's the boys go out and play a fun brand of backyard hillbilly ball.
I think Taylor could be a really good player if he had some discipline! Love to see us bring Alzhiemer's Bobby Knight in to straighten him out.

Heck Bleeds. It's ALL about "Fun" with Danny Boy! NOTHING else matters!! Championships! NO! NCAA and/or NIT participation a few times, at least, a decade! NO!! Banners in the CAM! NO!! Nope, it's all about having "fun" as Danny has preached and barked for nearly a DECADE now!! OBVIOUSLY, Bleeds, you have NOT been listening!! For that, you are required to re-live the same experience again during the 23-24 HERD Basketball Season!!!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Heck Bleeds. It's ALL about "Fun" with Danny Boy! NOTHING else matters!! Championships! NO! NCAA and/or NIT participation a few times, at least, a decade! NO!! Banners in the CAM! NO!! Nope, it's all about having "fun" as Danny has preached and barked for nearly a DECADE now!! OBVIOUSLY, Bleeds, you have NOT been listening!! For that, you are required to re-live the same experience again during the 23-24 HERD Basketball Season!!!
Banners? We don’t need no stinking banners!!

Seriously - if you are referring to NCAA Natty champ or NIT banners - meaning Marshall won either - you might want to dial back your expectations.

you might want to dial back your expectations.
And that's the problem. If we can't expect our team to go to the dance every few years then what's the point? If all we're going to do is just "exist" then it's a waste of everyone's time and money.

Just because b'ball hasn't been to the post season much in the past doesnt mean we can't make attempts to improve the program.
Glad men's soccer didn't just accept the thought of - well we've never been good, why try now.
Moon, Marcum and Hamrick were all football first guys. That doesn't help.

And that's the problem. If we can't expect our team to go to the dance every few years then what's the point? If all we're going to do is just "exist" then it's a waste of everyone's time and money.
Tell that to the more than 10,000 division 1 male and female basketball scholarship recipients. I'm sure they would disagree.

Last edited:
Tell that to the more than 10,000 division 1 male and female basketball scholarship recipients. I'm sure they would disagree.
I bet if I went and told them that their fans don't expect them to win and just exist they'd roll their eyes at that. Some of you act like we should treat this stuff like it's biddy ball and we're just out here to have fun. This is D-I athletics. Coaches get paid 6-7 figures and now the players do too. If those 10,000 athletes don't like that the expectation of winning comes with that free ride then maybe they should look to something else.

Why on earth would any sane person give their money and time to a program that doesn't even care about winning? Where they're just fine and dandy with just existing.

NCAA and/or NIT participation a few times, at least, a decade! NO!!
So, what I read into your comment is that you would be satisfied if MU basketball participated in the NCAA or the NIT a few times per decade?
Well, in that case what are you complaining about?
MU was in the NIT in 2012 and then our historic NCAA run in 2018. Only 6 years apart!
By your own metric, we still have 9 years to make 2 tourneys in a decade. (2012-2022) (2023-2033)

In the real world, if you don’t measure up at your job, you are fired. They should do that now in college sports. Evaluate players at the end if the season and if they performed poorly they can be told to hit the portal or pay for their own tuition for the next school term.

If we are going to ruin college sports, we might as well go all the way. Make it strictly a business.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
I bet if I went and told them that their fans don't expect them to win and just exist they'd roll their eyes at that. Some of you act like we should treat this stuff like it's biddy ball and we're just out here to have fun. This is D-I athletics. Coaches get paid 6-7 figures and now the players do too. If those 10,000 athletes don't like that the expectation of winning comes with that free ride then maybe they should look to something else.

Why on earth would any sane person give their money and time to a program that doesn't even care about winning? Where they're just fine and dandy with just existing.
Ask the students, families and communities that support all of these programs. Everyone certainly wants to win but that is not possible. Just maybe there is more to it than just winning!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Ask the students, families and communities that support all of these programs. Everyone certainly wants to win but that is not possible. Just maybe there is more to it than just winning!
Not in D-I. I am not saying they need to win every season, but it should happen more often than once every 20-30 years. That is just piss poor leadership. Again scholarships are given to athletes that the staff believes can help the program win not elevate their team GPA or just get kids an education. If that were the case we wouldn't spend money scouring the country and in Dan's case the eastern block of Europe to find players. Nope we'd just hand them out to kids from the local community so they could get a free education.

D-I athletics is a BIG business. If you don't like it then don't participate and don't ask people to invest. Multi-million dollar practice facilities aren't built and millions spent on nutrition and strength training just so kids can get an education.

Look at some of these schools and the "kids" they bring in. I'm sure Urban Meyer recruited Aaron Hernandez and ignored his behavior just because he wanted him to get an education. I'm sure the administration in Happy Valley turned a blind eye and covered up the Sandusky stuff just because they were so worried about players getting their degrees. I'm sure Art Briles covered up all those allegations because he was afraid some kids wouldn't be graduating if everyone found out. Those Miami Hurricane teams in the 90s and 00s were loaded with Rhodes Scholars.

Again if it wasn't about winning your head coaches shouldn't be the highest paid employees in the university let alone the entire state. Coaches make more than the school presidents. They make more than the governors. They make more than POTUS. If it's just about getting kids and education then maybe those millions being paid to athletic staff should be given to the professors instead. Remember. It's not about winning.

In the real world, if you don’t measure up at your job, you are fired. They should do that now in college sports. Evaluate players at the end if the season and if they performed poorly they can be told to hit the portal or pay for their own tuition for the next school term.

If we are going to ruin college sports, we might as well go all the way. Make it strictly a business.
At universities that actually cared about winning and their coach wasn't closing the deal they would be fired.

Just maybe there is more to it than just winning!
……exactly ‘72. And if any school, really in the world can relate to that sentiment, it is We are….Marshall. Beyond that, looking back at the last decade of facilities improvements, there certainly has been a financial commitment made, including the soccer complex, the IPF, the privately funded improvements to Gullickson, and now the historic pending completion of our 1st evah on-campus baseball stadium. The future certainly looks bright, especially with the hiring of Brad Smith & Christian Spears. I think you can see where Spears is headed from the hiring of the new baseball coach.
Before you jump down my throat, I know that Coach Len-gal goes on to say “someday we’ll be like all the rest, where winning is everything.”
I believe that holds true for schools like the Alabamas, UGas & Clemsons of the P5. But even their fans have to swallow seasons where they don’t win the CFP or even qualify for same. I don’t think they are reducing their “investments” or questioning whether continuing the athletics programs should even be a ?
Maybe we HN Herd fans love complaining about what we don’t have/haven’t achieved more than the average Herd fan. The attendance #’s don’t seem to indicate dissatisfaction among “The faithful”, at least not at the Cam….

Reactions: Herd1972
Marshall has won an NAIA national championship, 2 division 1 AA national championships in football, Division 1 National Championship in Soccer and seems to be competing each year. We have done very well as a small college/university with limited financial resources over the years. I do believe our current AD will help us to improve in that area which can help us to compete at a higher level in all sports. The vast majority of schools will never win a national championship at any level, will continue to play sports, provide athletic scholarships, raise funds for facilities and improvements. Kids at all levels of competition deserve these opportunities as much as the most skilled athletes that may or may not complete their educations because of professional opportunities. Only a few will be able to achieve that level. I am hopeful we can improve our performance in all sports. Our fans certainly love Marshall and have supported the programs throughout thick and thin. We need to encourage and support the student athletes that choose to represent us and the coaches that help these young people to develop athletically, academically, and as productive individuals. We will never get universal agreement about coaches hired, decision making of administrators, coaches or student athletes. But none of us are in any position to change any of those factors. We can choose not to support our athletic programs and that would certainly hurt our efforts to get better. I choose to support them. Been a fan since 1964. Always attended games even when we were not very good. I have enjoyed watching all of our programs compete, improve, win and even sometimes losing. The game we lost to Marquette in 1971-72 season was a great game that we should have won. We have not been at that level in basketball for quite some time, but we have certainly had our moments and we are quite capable of being there again in all sports. Go Herd!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT