ADVERTISEMENT

A Wasted Basketball Season

I believe our tennis doubles team was a NC runner up a few years ago and our forensics team won a NC a few years ago. As you say, for a small school, we have done OK.
I certainly agree. Softball team has been good, baseball has made it to the college World Series, and I’m sure we may missing some other achievements. To me, the wins against Xavier and Bowling Green were amazing wins.

I was never impressed with this teams play all year. Did we win games for sure, but no defense and constantly watching sloppy shots. It was only a matter of time. This type of basketball isn’t enjoyable to me. I want defense and smart shots. Kinsey with the ball in his hand at the end had a shot blocked and bad shot. Smh, Elmore will always be my GOAT at Marshall!
How many wins do you want? All of them? Follow some other team.

Reactions: Herd1972
The MAC is garbage on the same level as the SBC, and there are absolutely no metrics that say Marshall's schedule was "good" even when compared to other mid-major programs.

Here are the actual numbers following our final game of the season...

Record -- 24-8
NET ranking -- 84
OOC Strength of Schedule -- 295
Overall Strength of Schedule -- 225
Quality wins -- 0 (BPI)
Quad 1 record -- 0-0 (We didn't play a "good" team all season)
Quad 2 record -- 2-2 (Teams regarded as "above average")
Quad 3 record -- 8-5 (Teams regarded as "below average")
Quad 4 record -- 13-1 (Teams regarded as "bad")
DII record -- 1-0
Ummm, sounds like a formula for "No post season tourneys" to me!!

How many wins do you want? All of them? Follow some other team.
It'd be nice to not continually choke at the end of the season and be able to win more than 1 championship in 9 seasons. The number in the win column is debatable. However, they should include conference tournament wins and championships. Instead we get to the end of the season with everything on the line and fail to close the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Didn’t we beat Morehead this season? They are in the round of 32 after beating Clemson last night. Maybe we should join that league.

Reactions: rvntx
Not in D-I. I am not saying they need to win every season, but it should happen more often than once every 20-30 years. That is just piss poor leadership. Again scholarships are given to athletes that the staff believes can help the program win not elevate their team GPA or just get kids an education. If that were the case we wouldn't spend money scouring the country and in Dan's case the eastern block of Europe to find players. Nope we'd just hand them out to kids from the local community so they could get a free education.

D-I athletics is a BIG business. If you don't like it then don't participate and don't ask people to invest. Multi-million dollar practice facilities aren't built and millions spent on nutrition and strength training just so kids can get an education.

Look at some of these schools and the "kids" they bring in. I'm sure Urban Meyer recruited Aaron Hernandez and ignored his behavior just because he wanted him to get an education. I'm sure the administration in Happy Valley turned a blind eye and covered up the Sandusky stuff just because they were so worried about players getting their degrees. I'm sure Art Briles covered up all those allegations because he was afraid some kids wouldn't be graduating if everyone found out. Those Miami Hurricane teams in the 90s and 00s were loaded with Rhodes Scholars.

Again if it wasn't about winning your head coaches shouldn't be the highest paid employees in the university let alone the entire state. Coaches make more than the school presidents. They make more than the governors. They make more than POTUS. If it's just about getting kids and education then maybe those millions being paid to athletic staff should be given to the professors instead. Remember. It's not about winning.

I respectfully dispute some of your points.

Ask Stanford, Vanderbilt, or Northwestern if they really care about winning over GPA and academic standards in the two major sports.
You think the Ivy League, if they REALLY wanted to, couldn't phone up the NCAA and demand to be FBS using their political power, and then use THEIR financial power to buy teams or enter bidding wars with the SEC and win?
Sorry, some institutions actually do have academic standards, which is why, they don't win but continue to exist.
It actually is why Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc., aren't better.
You really think Alabama could keep up with them if they wanted to just bring in athletes and forego the whole academics thing?

Is it piss poor leadership when the higher level of D1 stacks the deck completely against your mid major program to really win?
You are right, D1 sports is a business and business is winning...but it's also a monopoly and total politics within. 94% of the programs aren't ever going to achieve what they set out to...and for the few who can win the whole thing, and do, remind everyone else that just being in the same conversation is a win...and every now and then, that happens.

I have always said Marshall achieves at a very high level all things considered. I respectfully disagree that the SB or MAC are bush league. Like others on here I want to win conference titles . However I do not feel as if all is lost if we don't win every year.As @GoHerdMarshallYes has stated the deck is stacked against most schools and that included Marshall. So what can we do? I say be the best we can be at everything we do and then enjoy the trip.

I feel fans are frustrated and they have every reason to be...and this is more mid majors than the P5.

MU soccer PROVED what is actually capable when you have the right facilities, the right hires, and just go out and win often.

Did you ever think soccer, attendance-wise, would have higher percentages than football or basketball to the point they expanded the stadium whereas football and basketball tarped off their seats?

Soccer was able to put MU at the pinnacle of achievement in a short period of time. Whereas football has tried for decades to give MU even a glimmer of the same success and it simply isn't attainable, entirely out of our control too...and it's getting harder each year to do.
Same with basketball...who, theoretically, could win it all but simply hasn't and is distancing themselves further from having a chance.

That's the frustration for, I think, MU fans more than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT