ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting

Dec 12, 2023
Apparently two guards in the portal that Marshall offered have committed to other school. Kai Johnson has committed to Montana and Alex Oglesby committed to MTSU.

Here's my hypothesis: Most mid majors (& high majors) in the portal are trying to jump up a level and get their NIL bag. Most will not find a home doing so, but they're all trying right now. In a few weeks they'll come to realize that they aren't good enough to play in the SEC/ACC/Big10/Big12 and set their sights on mid majors that offer playing time, not bags of NIL money.

I'll start to worry in a month if we don't have multiple commitments, but right now, my feeling is many of them are trying to find a spot where a spot probably isn't available.

With what essentially amounts to wide open free agency every year, why not enter the portal after every season (unless you are already a starter at a top 10 program and making bank)?

There is no downside for shopping yourself for more NIL dollars/more playing time every single year -- one of the many problems with the current system.

There are teams all over the place turning over 10 or more roster spots in a single offseason... The bad news is there you have no idea to know how good you are going to be next year (you have to rebuild every April/May/June)... But the good news is, bad teams can turn it around in one offseason. You hit on 3-4 portal guys that fit together and boom, back in business.

With what essentially amounts to wide open free agency every year, why not enter the portal after every season (unless you are already a starter at a top 10 program and making bank)?

There is no downside for shopping yourself for more NIL dollars/more playing time every single year -- one of the many problems with the current system.

There are teams all over the place turning over 10 or more roster spots in a single offseason... The bad news is there you have no idea to know how good you are going to be next year (you have to rebuild every April/May/June)... But the good news is, bad teams can turn it around in one offseason. You hit on 3-4 portal guys that fit together and boom, back in business.

I also wonder about graduation rates and if the portal has changed the rates any.

Reactions: marshallsig
I wonder how a national search or at least an East Coast search could have brought a few ballers in quicker…. But I guess I’m left to wonder…

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I also wonder about graduation rates and if the portal has changed the rates any.
Graduation rates? -- Nerd.

These kids aint going to college to "play school" as a famous Ohio State quarterback once said... They are going to college to cash NIL checks and play ball.

Seriously though, this whole idea of being a "student athlete" is long gone. The "student athletes" play tennis, golf, soccer, etc... In football and mens basketball, they are temporary employees.

College sports, under this new ESPN dictated system, is just minor league basketball and football. Players come in for a year and then move up or down based on how they did. Leaving behind the local rubes and hicks to root for a whole new team next year. Any pretense that they are trying to actually graduate is gone (you see players moving between schools with grossly different academic profiles and missions such that no regular student would expect to be allowed to move credits from one to the other). Not that the talking heads at ESPN won't pontificate about the unfairness of it all when some dope who played for 5 schools over 6 years and ended up pissing away the NIL pay and about 100 credits shy of a degree in some fake major like "sports management".

And ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, should remember that minor league baseball and hockey have dozens of fans and make tens of dollars. I cannot wait for them to go bankrupt.

These kids aint going to college to "play school" as a famous Ohio State quarterback once said... They are going to college to cash NIL checks and play ball.

Seriously though, this whole idea of being a "student athlete" is long gone. The "student athletes" play tennis, golf, soccer, etc... In football and mens basketball, they are temporary employees.

You got me. I am a nerd. But most of these athletes will never go pro. Would be an interesting report to see 5 years down the road what impact the portal has had.

The term "student-athlete" is and has always been bullshit. It was invented in the late 50's to avoid liability in the death of a football player. It was incorporated into the NCAA bylaws by Walter Byers in the mid-60's purely for propaganda purposes.

Reactions: RhinoD
Mikal Dawson (HHS) has committed to the Herd. From Akron. 6’5” 222lb SG not sure how many years of eligibility. Enrolled at Akron fall of 2019. So, Covid year at the least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT