ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 "exploring" adding up to 4 teams... (here we go again)

Yeah but local rivals also helps build a program. For instance OU Marshall- that game is/was the best game of the year because of the rivalry. I'd much rather watch that than Old Dominion. I'd much rather play Miami OH than Southern Miss. It meant more to me growing up than games do now. I miss those games. We can still schedule big OOC and keep the local rivalries if we were smart, but we try to do too much IMO

I go to Marshall games to see Marshall.

I'm old enough to have seen MU come and go from the MAC to playing random independents to the SoCon back to the MAC and then to 2 versions of CUSA. The local media gins up a "rivalry" with this one and that one, but truth be told we don't have any rivals, at least any who will play us.

There are not any teams in this AAC that has any more appeal as a team than CUSA. Not saying the level of football is not better, or that there would not be more competive games, but I'm going to MU-North Texas to see MU, not North Texas. And I would go to MU - Tulane to see MU. In fact I have.
I am with you, I go to watch Marshall play. I even had the unfortunate privilege to see us lose to New Hampshire. On the other hand, there are many fans that get more interested when Marshall is playing someone noteworthy and show up, like WVU games, like K State, like Purdue, even Ohio games, what did we draw for them last time, 32-33K? I would bet that a home Navy game would definitely outdraw a home Rice game and even a home USM game. And every school not in the SEC, B1G etc faces that. Even the school up north. When they play a no name opponent, they do not sell out. It is what it is and we do pretty good for G5 school.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
The MAC talk doesn't go over well, around here. I'm a MAC supporter, myself. When that conference gets much better payouts for TV than anything MU is seeing from c-usa, it's an embarrassment. I'd take an invite to AAC almost any day, as the ECU rivalry should last forever. But the MAC has more natural rivalries.

8-11k empty in a 39,000 seat stadium is a problem. Upper half of G5 doesn't mean anything. If we want a bigger bid then we can't be 'above average'. Boise can't even get a bid to the big 12 despite their history of dominance the last decade. And yet we want to make our case because it's the upper half of G5 in attendance and because we had a couple decent seasons in a mid major conference. I would love nothing more than to have that prestige, but realistically it takes one step at a time. Build the atmosphere, fill the seats, schedule and beat the team's first, then get the invite. It doesn't work the other way around. Look at the debacle that Syracuse is in- they got to the ACC because of tv market- yet they still suck, even more so than before. Jumping to a better conference isn't going to fill our seats permanently. Like you said, the luster wears off. Beating Louisville and South Carolina would be a great start, but are people going to show up against ODU after that? I doubt it

We aren't going to a P5 conference anytime soon, I am not sure what in the world you are getting at. We, whether its wrong or right, are in a G5 conference, playing ALOT of crap G5 schools, some even the average fan doesn't even know is FBS. Boise doesn't sell out, whats that tell you? They are much like us, they sellout or come close to it when the opponent being played draws more excitement. Marshall has one of the best atmosphere's at the G5 level and rivals some p5's, that's been written over and over by authors not associated with MU. We have a core base of fans, probably around 24K, the rest are fair weather fans, whether its the opponent not being excitable or its bad weather. So when we pop over the 30K mark, especially if its not a home p5 game, its something to be proud of. There is nothing wrong with that. With the declining population in WV, people losing high paying mining jobs etc, I would say that its even more amazing that we get the turn out that we do.

Reactions: oldeherd
Beef cake I don't disagree with what you're saying. My point is that since we ARENT a P5 school then why are we pressing to stay out of the Mac, which has better revenue (and ticket sales for us) than CUSA is providing. In the Mac we could have our cake and eat it too. Northern Illinois has done just fine finding national levels in the Mac

In other words in my opinion the AAC is going to, eventually, be the same thing that CUSA is.. Leftovers. The big 5 will all eventually be 16 teams (look it up). We won't be one of those teams, be it because of tv market, whatever. So why not go back to where we truly fit geographically, have more ticket sales for local rivalry, and try to get one of the remaining 3 playoff spots after the P5 when it moves to 8 spots? Running the table in the MAC vs running the table in AAC will have the same results since in OOC would be the same regardless. And in the meantime we would sustain the local rivalries, which is what sports is all about.

Well, I could not tell you if the admin is pressing to stay out of the MAC or not and I'm not sure anyone else could tell you that either. Our fans on here are split about it. From what I gather, many are against mid week games in November. I'd have to agree with that part of it. I am one of those that would take the MAC or the AAC if USM leaves CUSA. I'm not fond of the CUSA of today, things started out fine with the new schools but quickly went mediocre, minus MTSU and WKY. Bottom line is, without USM and us and a couple other schools, CUSA is nothing more than the belt. So if some core schools leave, I would jump on a wagon with them or go to the MAC, but that's just me.

And they will leave eventually. The Mac will someday be better than it ever was and I would love to be a part of it again.

The pay the players deal will cause a MAC break up in the near term.

The lowly MAC is just a bunch of wannabes. The schools are so large and the states they are in USED TO BE so wealthy that they could piss away student and taxpayer $$ on play pretending they were I-A when everything about the schools screams I-AA in every way. As costs go up due to this pay the players idiocy, and as the rust rusts yet more, some of the MACers are realizing they have no business doing this and others are willing to continue. And this play on random weeknights has killed what little live gate they had.

In any event, the lowly MAC has nothing for us. We would dominate, yes, but no thanks.

No thanks I'm not a dork, I just have realistic opinions which obvious makes me a troll among morons.

I know... That's pretty much all you people can say when someone has something to say that requires thinking. Someone disagrees with me- whaaaaa it's a troll! Whaaaaaa

Nah not all the time, only when a WVU fan tries to masquerade as a Marshall fan. I mean troll need attention. You must live a pathetic life when you can just be yourself.

You probably catfish dudes too in your spare time

Reactions: cottrell75
Whatever you say dork... Find me a comment I made that was a troll comment and not just something you disagree with. You can't.. And it's ok. I know you're frustrated.

If your aren't a troll why you so mad and serious? I mean you can do what I said and it will all go away

Interesting, I didn't know freshman had to be 18. And it's 'you were' not 'you was'. Maybe you should try college too before you call me a troll bub. I'm not mad at all, I'm actually laughing at you getting frustrated that I won't post a picture for you to stare at. If you can find a comment let me know, if not have a good day troll.

bmuk1vu2numppveiuut9.jpg

Haha.. The funniest part of that is Andy has no comment at all because he knows he's wrong and Fever can't respond without sounding like he didn't pass 3rd grade. But cool pic man! Thumbs up

Jesus Herd ass. Just how Marshall obsessed are you?

You might be the worst of all time.

Listen I am here to help. It's okay . We all know MIFART is a 2nd tier P5 and Marshall is a top tier "G 5. Not a whole lot of difference except marketing.

Do us all a huge favor. Take that welfare check , load up on some good meth, lock yourself in your double wide for the weekend and don't post another post on HN until say, Wednesday when the meth finally starts wearing off.

Thanks man, your a great example of why I prefer not to play MIFART U!

In Fever's defense, he is a ghetto @$$ douche, that pulls his ebonics card when he gets frustrated.

I guess that's better than Greenhouse. I can't even read his jibberish. Apparently if you grow up liking Marshall but also knowing about WVU (since its in your family) that you are a fool. What a bunch of butthurt sheep. At least some of you on this board respect a productive conversation and can see multiple points of view. But there's certainly a few that think if you don't have the EXACT mentality they do then you're a troll. way to be open minded...

Other than fighting over funding, MU and WVU aren't rivals. Maybe in Herd fans' eyes, but it's just not there. I lived in Morgantown for 30 years, and I can tell you that WVU, it's students, and it's teams don't even think about MU. Hell, even when I was a freshman there and would wear Herd gear or have my Herd coffee mugs with me no one batted an eye at me.

Andy will grow on you, if you let him. He's a grumpy old fella, but he loves his Herd and has a logical approach to everything (maybe not politics ;))

If I were going to think of a word to describe my impression of how WVU students, alumni, faculty, and otherwise unaffiliated sports fans feel toward Marshall, I'm not sure I would choose "ambivalence."

Somewhere along the line, I got really fatigued of having strangers engage me in conversations about the non-existent rivalry between WVU and Marshall, droning on at length about the superiority of WVU and implying that the relationship between the schools correlated in some way to the relationship between us, and then capping off the whole diatribe with "its not a rivalry, we don't care about you." Content to have my ears and my life back, I usually just let them walk away without further comment, but it has caused me to cut back on the amount of MU gear I wear or display. That's the only way to avoid it.

Hypothetically let's say the 5 power conferences all go to 16 teams eventually; which is what I've read many times will happen- That's 80 teams. Obviously we are a top 80 team so where does that ultimately put us? Are we an ACC market? Or are we hoping it becomes a P6 and the AAC is the 6th?

We aren't going to a P5 conference anytime soon, I am not sure what in the world you are getting at. We, whether its wrong or right, are in a G5 conference, playing ALOT of crap G5 schools, some even the average fan doesn't even know is FBS. Boise doesn't sell out, whats that tell you? They are much like us, they sellout or come close to it when the opponent being played draws more excitement. Marshall has one of the best atmosphere's at the G5 level and rivals some p5's, that's been written over and over by authors not associated with MU. We have a core base of fans, probably around 24K, the rest are fair weather fans, whether its the opponent not being excitable or its bad weather. So when we pop over the 30K mark, especially if its not a home p5 game, its something to be proud of. There is nothing wrong with that. With the declining population in WV, people losing high paying mining jobs etc, I would say that its even more amazing that we get the turn out that we do.

Well said, beefcake. This would honestly make a great topic for some serious discussion. However, it seems that we have at least one "veteran" poster with 70 some posts who has resorted to name calling, etc. in about 60 or so of his posts. How does something get "old" to someone who only has about 70 or so posts????

Anyway, as to the MAC, I would doubt our MAC attendance would be higher than our current CUSA game attendance is if we had to factor in one or two Tuesday and Wednesday home games a season!! And, really, you would have living under a rock somewhere to argue that we have a lot of great "rivalries" with MAC schools, other than Ohio U. Yeah, there were 2 or 3 great games with little Cryami when they had Big Ben, but for nearly a decade now, they have been fighting with mighty Eastern Michigan for the coveted basement position in that league. They never bring a great fan contingent to Huntington; only an occasional demented coach or two who goes berserk and tries to destroy a pressbox!! And, as noted, Herd fans will just about outnumber the home folks in Oxford when we play there even though there are NO, repeat NO, modern roads whatsoever in or out of that town from any direction, south, west, east, etc.

Going out on a limb here, strictly guessing, I will predict that Charlotte will probably have about as many fans in the Joan for their game with the Herd that the mighty Zips of Akron will have for theirs. Absent a chance for MU to get into the AAC, and any defections from CUSA in the next couple of years, I see NO good reason whatsoever for Marshall to contemplate for a second a move back to the MAC and all of its so called "great rivalries" !!

There are a couple scenarios here. One, this is all BS smoke by the B12 to get more money out of ESPN and Fox. If the B12 expands, the TV networks are on the hook for 1 Billion more TV dollars over the life of the contract. And let's just say it is UConn, Cincy, Houston, and BYU. TV guys may say, "We are not getting 1Billion dollars out of those 4. How about we give you existing 10 schools 500 mil to share among yourself, and call it good?" There is still a possibility of that happening.

One other option is to add BYU for football only, and call it good. Or add BYU for football only, and somebody else. The conference would still be able to double round robin in hoops.

Don't sleep on Colorado State. Not an obvious choice, but the academic folks like them. They are brothers in kind with ISU, OSU, KState, and Tech. If CSU is added with UConn or Cincy, it gives Iowa State a "travel partner" for scheduling, since WVU and ISU are now "travel partners and WVU would hook up with UConn or Cincy. I'm well aware UT and OU run the conference, but the "Aggies" in the Big12 would like CSU.

That is what the (paywalled) Sports Business Journal and Yahoo's Pat Forde are saying.

ESPN's and Fox's empty suits screwed up. The league can add ANY team and gets paid that much more money (if it added 2 teams then it gets 120% of what the contract says) . So the B12 is conducting a race to the bottom. What schools will take the "last chance" to get out of the AAC by agreeing to take little to nothing from the conference TV deal, so that the other 10 can get that 20% more paid to them. And then the league is playing that off against ESPN/Fox, saying, in effect, "hey, we can screw you over for big $$ by adding two fanless cupcakes from the AAC, how about you pay us half of that not to?"

But there is a problem. All contracts run out. This one after the 24 season. And paybacks are hell. The quickest they could get a team (other than independent BYU) would be 18 or 19. So for just 5 or 6 years of extra $$, they would be screwing over their TV "partners". When the next deal comes around, the "grant of rights" poison pill expires (but not ESPN's money losing Longhorn Network deal) . So ESPN and Fox engineer Texas and Oklahoma to one of the other conferences (Pac 12 probably) which has the side effect of getting ESPN out of the LN, since no other league allows such a thing, and the leftovers are leftover. Welcome to the Group of 6.

FYI- the big 12 isn't the only conference that expanded for money reasons. It's just the one you hate the most.. For some reason o_O

Fake Sam- your long shot whim attempt at logic is baseless. Every school eventually gets paid the full amount of share. WVU started the same way and now will be making equal shares. You think ESPN gives a rats ass how much each school makes? The ratings aren't going to go down when they add cincinatti, quite the contrary because now it matters towards a conference championship, and including a conference championship. As for everyone's argument of big 2 little 8- I'm sure it's frustrating to see Baylor and TCU with one foot in the playoffs the last two years to hurt your argument but that's just the way it is. You wonder why WVU fans live here rent free? Because you make the dumbest comments and they want to call you out for it. It has nothing to do with hating Marshall, it has to do with Marshall fan logic. I am here to change that as a fan who actually has some common a sense.

In this order:

1. Houston
2. BYU
3. Cincy
4. Memphis

IMO, it is a coin flip as to whether two or four get in...but I see two for now.

Nah not all the time, only when a WVU fan tries to masquerade as a Marshall fan. I mean troll need attention. You must live a pathetic life when you can just be yourself.

You probably catfish dudes too in your spare time
see if he can pass a basic Herd Football quiz. Like who coached the Young Thundering Herd in 71? Or who kicked the win FG in the 1992 1AA championship game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT