ADVERTISEMENT

But why?

One conference championship in 15 years. Much of that time was after the conference was weakened. That is pretty mediocre. Embarrassing home losses. Finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division constantly. Multiple losing seasons, one as recent as 2016. Marshall has not finished first in their division since 2014. Our current coach is 45-27 in conference. I wouldn't say that is stellar nor terrible. But, yes, mediocre considering two teams in our division was either IAA(and not a great IAA) and one never had a program 10 years ago. FAU and FIU really have no great tradition. WKU and Middle Tenn came from the Sunbelt and were not exactly world beaters. Mashall has only won their division twice under the current coach in nearly a decade.

As I have said, schools like FIU and FAU have plenty of resources to make themselves compete and frankly, don't need much to compete against a resource depleted and fickle fanbase of MU. You said that a few schools were FCS before, and as I have said once more, they are actually motivated with money and resources to move up to where we are. Unless we get an economic boom where we have money coming in more steadily over people unwilling to donate because goal posts aren't painted, MU will never have what they do, to compete.
Lots of offseason posts in the past were all about what CUSA teams were building, or doing, around campus to improve, people kept kicking around saying, "Well why can't MU do that?"
Then get upset and call MU a failure when they lose a game to these schools.

Reactions: The Real SamC
As I have said, schools like FIU and FAU have plenty of resources to make themselves compete and frankly, don't need much to compete against a resource depleted and fickle fanbase of MU.

You're simply clueless. What resources are you suggesting FIU has? They have abysmal facilities. Fvcking abysmal. Their coaches - unless it has changed over the last two years - sat on the corridor above the bleachers with a blue tarp over their head. It was completely open air that would allow fans to come right up behind the coaches and talk shit. But that was never an issue, because nobody goes to the games.

Resources? They have a large enrollment that is completely apathetic to football. They are in a good recruiting area. Other than that, they have nothing on Marshall. They don't have nearly the fan support, don't have nearly the facilities, don't have nearly the tradition, don't have nearly as low academic admittance policies.

you consider the great teams we play to be cupcakes. If you do not see what a great schedule we have this year, you really should move on to something else.

What great teams are on Marshall's schedule this year? Boise loses a bunch. They will still be good, but great? No. Cinci will be an 8 win team. Good? Sure. Great? No.

Really, who are these great teams Marshall plays this season? And where is this "great schedule"?

Seriously if Doc can't rack up a lot of wins with this years schedule in year 10 something is wrong. I see one game that it would take a big upset on our part to win. That is Boise State on the road. Other than that we should be a favorite or stand a really good shot at winning. You get Ohio and UC in Hungtington. Middle Tenn and FAU on the road. Please. The rest should be cupcake city. Every year Marshall should look at it schedule and chalk 7 or 8 wins up that should be token.
I think we have a better chance of beating Boise St than Cincy to be honest. Boise St lost their all-world QB and RB. Outside of VMI, UNCC, and Rice the schedule is more difficult than you think as several of our opponents should be better teams in 2019, and we will be challenged by FAU and FIU for the East Division title and maybe even MT as well. We have 4 teams on the home schedule and 3 teams on the road schedule that could beat us if we don't bring it. The game against FIU at the end of the season should be a really big one.

Have at it and slay me on this message board, but I couldn't give a shit about beating Cincinnati and/or Boise if a CUSA East title and CUSA championship game doesn't come with it.

If we go 10-2 and lose a tie-breaker to FIU/FAU, I'm not going to be happy. If we go 8-4 and win a tie-breaker to FIU/FAU, I'll be thrilled. I know, it's f'd up logic, but I need some meaningful post season play in football.

We're getting to where our CUSA title game appearances are closer to being a decade away than the games themselves.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
In CUSA, or ANY G5 league, there are two possible results:

- Go 13-0, get in the access bowl.

- Have any other record that has 6 wins, and go to a early random bowl with a (IMHO purposefully) stupid sponsor in some random place against either a 6-6 P5 loser or a random other G5 program.

CUSA championship would be nice, but it does not make the post-season any more meaningful.

Yeah all those bowl games we played in in the 90’s and early 2000s were huge deals. I remember they were nationally recognized as games probably bigger than the national championship!

But in all seriousness, If we aren’t playing in a conference championship every year we are failing?

Also... Danny better start getting some of the same anger from all of you who hate Doc. Because he’s been as underwhelming if not more so.

You (redsfan5590) need to visit more often.
..Danny is catching HELL and some of it is deserved...and I'm family. Until, Dan recruits some big, strong aircraft carriers that can RUN like the wind.... HERD Hoops will continue to "live & die" from 3-point land.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: herd66
This is such a tired ass topic! Aren't you-all sick to death of it? I am. Nothing new. Regurgitated opinions about SoS, P5>G5, how many P5's on the sked? Terrible OOC opponents, why can't we be more like ______?, Our recruiting classes never pan out, Why do we take props?, 8 glorious days in March, program is a dumpster fire, Doc vs Bobby vs TanMan vs Donnan who set the table for Chaump, wins are mainly over teams with losing records, Why can't we get a decent OC? Cramsey's gonna be great, Cramsey sucks! Legg's playbook was 2 pages and the 2nd one was blank, Danny is a genius, Danny couldn't coach his way outta a paper bag, we don't have D1 players, 304 boys rule, Danalytics, we'll never be good enough in basketball, why aren't we more successful in football?
I swear to God, if I never hear any of this again, I will be a better person for it!!
Why can't we all just get along?

Basketball is going in the wrong direction and football is on the rise.This will never be recognized by the Doc haters.

Dan & staff and players are going in the wrong direction?
Damn, the last time I checked, Marshall Hoops has 4 more regular season tilts & a CUSA tourney to complete.

What if they "go on a winning streak akin to last season---- win all of them and return to the Big Dance?" Will you (herd66) come on here & eat crow shit?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

This is such a tired ass topic! Aren't you-all sick to death of it? I am. Nothing new. Regurgitated opinions about SoS, P5>G5, how many P5's on the sked? Terrible OOC opponents, why can't we be more like ______?, Our recruiting classes never pan out, Why do we take props?, 8 glorious days in March, program is a dumpster fire, Doc vs Bobby vs TanMan vs Donnan who set the table for Chaump, wins are mainly over teams with losing records, Why can't we get a decent OC? Cramsey's gonna be great, Cramsey sucks! Legg's playbook was 2 pages and the 2nd one was blank, Danny is a genius, Danny couldn't coach his way outta a paper bag, we don't have D1 players, 304 boys rule, Danalytics, we'll never be good enough in basketball, why aren't we more successful in football?
I swear to God, if I never hear any of this again, I will be a better person for it!!

AMEN and some more AMEN.
Two claps & a Ric Flair. Clpa...Clap...woooooooo.

WHY can't we not just get along and Love Marshall for who she is! For Pete's Sake...we could be Charlotte football/basketball or Rice football/basketball....

Guess what HERD Baseball went 3-1 last weekend in Wilmington.....they just might be pretty good this season. TIME will tell.

WE Are..........................................................................Marshall

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

There is a segment of our fan base that struggles with realignment and our position in the new world order. It’s never going end for that group....because nothing short of a AAC invite will right the wrong. Our AD is spot on about how we would fair in the AAC. Poorly. But Mike catches hell for those statements because some would say...he’s not a visionary and supports Doc Holiday. Mike has delivered over his pay grade since day one for Marshall. But that’s not good enough....Not Mike, or Doc, or Dan or CUSA will ever meet some peoples dreams of Access Bowls, Final Four or Championships that should be achieved on the back of a school that does a remarkable job with little resources. There is a difference in dreaming big or hallucinating. I’m afraid some have slipped into the world of delusion...and can’t get back.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Yeah all those bowl games we played in in the 90’s and early 2000s were huge deals. I remember they were nationally recognized as games probably bigger than the national championship!

Since you bring it up, we were actually able to see many games played in the national spotlight back then. That has nothing to do with Doc, but just needed to point out you sound like an idiot with that above statement.

As I have said, schools like FIU and FAU have plenty of resources to make themselves compete and frankly, don't need much to compete against a resource depleted and fickle fanbase of MU. You said that a few schools were FCS before, and as I have said once more, they are actually motivated with money and resources to move up to where we are. Unless we get an economic boom where we have money coming in more steadily over people unwilling to donate because goal posts aren't painted, MU will never have what they do, to compete.
Lots of offseason posts in the past were all about what CUSA teams were building, or doing, around campus to improve, people kept kicking around saying, "Well why can't MU do that?"
Then get upset and call MU a failure when they lose a game to these schools.
You can't be serious.

You're simply clueless. What resources are you suggesting FIU has? They have abysmal facilities. Fvcking abysmal. Their coaches - unless it has changed over the last two years - sat on the corridor above the bleachers with a blue tarp over their head. It was completely open air that would allow fans to come right up behind the coaches and talk shit. But that was never an issue, because nobody goes to the games.

Resources? They have a large enrollment that is completely apathetic to football. They are in a good recruiting area. Other than that, they have nothing on Marshall. They don't have nearly the fan support, don't have nearly the facilities, don't have nearly the tradition, don't have nearly as low academic admittance policies.

What great teams are on Marshall's schedule this year? Boise loses a bunch. They will still be good, but great? No. Cinci will be an 8 win team. Good? Sure. Great? No.

Really, who are these great teams Marshall plays this season? And where is this "great schedule"?
I am waiting on those great teams on this years schedule as well. I gave him Boise because of their program's tradition. So, I will give him one.

Have at it and slay me on this message board, but I couldn't give a shit about beating Cincinnati and/or Boise if a CUSA East title and CUSA championship game doesn't come with it.

If we go 10-2 and lose a tie-breaker to FIU/FAU, I'm not going to be happy. If we go 8-4 and win a tie-breaker to FIU/FAU, I'll be thrilled. I know, it's f'd up logic, but I need some meaningful post season play in football.

We're getting to where our CUSA title game appearances are closer to being a decade away than the games themselves.
I think that is what most people are asking for, including me. Win some championships!

In CUSA, or ANY G5 league, there are two possible results:

- Go 13-0, get in the access bowl.

- Have any other record that has 6 wins, and go to a early random bowl with a (IMHO purposefully) stupid sponsor in some random place against either a 6-6 P5 loser or a random other G5 program.

CUSA championship would be nice, but it does not make the post-season any more meaningful.
That is a bad mentality. Half of the teams go to bowl games. Winning the conference championship is what should matter.

That depends on the program. For WVU fans like yourself it would be dumb*, as you have never won a major sports championship and really do not recruit at the level of national championship programs. For Alabama football fans, Kentucky/Duke/UNC basketball fans, etc. it makes perfect sense.

*Really this is irrelevant, as all WVU fans are dumb regardless of fan expectations

Is it unrealistic to expect MU football to win more than one conference championship a decade? Absolutely not.

As a fan of both programs, I root for them to succeed regardless of what moron moderators like yourself think is a black and white ceiling. If a team is trying to rebuild, has a new coach, reaches the tournament for the first time in decades, makes it to a conference championship on a year they weren't necessarily expecting to, and other factors- those are all things to consider. You can't just stamp 'conference champion or bust' on every year you play the game. That's stupid, and anyone who thinks that way definitely did not play at a high level in sports- like yourself.

Those teams are only great when Sam wants to justify his argument. If other teams played those same teams he would be fully critical of those programs.

Since you bring it up, we were actually able to see many games played in the national spotlight back then. That has nothing to do with Doc, but just needed to point out you sound like an idiot with that above statement.

I was talking about bowl games. You are saying we played many games in the national spotlight. Are you referring to bowl games?
People outside of Huntington cared about the GMAC bowl (before the comeback)? What about the motor city bowls, or the Fort Worth Bowl, or the Little Ceasars Pizza Bowl?

Come on man. If there was national interest it was because we had Chad, Randy, Byron. That was it. There wasn't national interest beyond that.

Was there more interest than there is today? Sure. But that is more due to the current state of college football where we are saturated with Bowl Games.

That is a bad mentality. Half of the teams go to bowl games. Winning the conference championship is what should matter.

And, half do not.

But you contradict yourself. On one hand you discount CUSA as being this awful combination of teams that we should beat easily, yet you have set winning it as this all over goal. And you are unable to articulate any reason why MU is naturally so much above the other CUSA members, other than "it is". That is something you expect out of a 10 year old.

Our football program is doing very well. It is in good hands. Doc will be here until he retires.

You can't just stamp 'conference champion or bust' on every year you play the game. That's stupid, and anyone who thinks that way definitely did not play at a high level in sports- like yourself.

I specifically mentioned more than once a decade for MU. You are stupid, and definitely did not participate in a level of academics higher than secondary school.

As a fan of both programs, I root for them to succeed regardless of what moron moderators like yourself think is a black and white ceiling.

Says the moron that does not know the difference in once a decade and every year.

I'm only letting you stay because you are moderately entertaining. Kinda like a drunk raccoon....which is perfect for WVU trash

GOOD response [drunk raccoon].....Raoul. BTW, did you major in JRN at Marshall?

Last edited by a moderator:

lol thats actually basically this board in a nutshell.

After decades of empty promises and lack of action, MU finally has announced a baseball stadium. That should be something people could ride on until spring camps start.

It took less than a week for the board to complain about the baseball field renderings, mainly led by the most ok baseball player to ever play at MU, so the sad thing is these debates tend to lead towards the negative regardless of whats spoken about.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
After decades of empty promises and lack of action, MU finally has announced a baseball stadium. That should be something people could ride on until spring camps start.

It took less than a week for the board to complain about the baseball field renderings,

The renderings weren't released for more than a few hours before I commented on my disappointment with them. When you wait two decades for something you were promised, you have high expectations that it will be done correctly when it is finally done. The renderings didn't fulfill two decades of expectations. I was far from the only one who is knowledgeable about the subject who expressed disappointment with the design.

mainly led by the most ok baseball player to ever play at MU,

How is somebody the "most ok" baseball player, moron? I started every year at Marshall. I was nominated multiple times for the conference player of the week. Catchers are usually one of the two worst hitting positions in baseball due to the beating their bodies take all game, yet I still put up very respectable offensive numbers . . . and my strength was defense . . . not to mention coaches and players voted me as a captain for my final three years. "The most ok" doesn't end up starting every year. Coaches are tasked with trying to recruit better players at each position every year, but even though they gave a JUCO all-american catcher a scholarship, gave a full scholarship (rare in baseball given to only superstars) to another catcher who had Big 10 offers, and gave yet another scholarship to a catcher (not to mention two walk-on catchers), I still beat them out. Now, run along you jealous little bitch.

And, half do not.

But you contradict yourself. On one hand you discount CUSA as being this awful combination of teams that we should beat easily, yet you have set winning it as this all over goal. And you are unable to articulate any reason why MU is naturally so much above the other CUSA members, other than "it is". That is something you expect out of a 10 year old.

Our football program is doing very well. It is in good hands. Doc will be here until he retires.
I have articulated it and you just don't want to hear it. So have others.

neither does DD

HA HA HA.19MU88......

how about you (if you can get inside the locked security gate to Dan's house) try to sneak & peek when we [family & INVITED friends===not you] Honor & Celebrate the Life of Uncle Lewis D this summer, ever though he passed about 2 years ago. It's called FAMILY REUNION----Duh!

HerdZilla22 [G Sweeney] in Charlotte

The renderings weren't released for more than a few hours before I commented on my disappointment with them. When you wait two decades for something you were promised, you have high expectations that it will be done correctly when it is finally done. The renderings didn't fulfill two decades of expectations. I was far from the only one who is knowledgeable about the subject who expressed disappointment with the design.

How is somebody the "most ok" baseball player, moron? I started every year at Marshall. I was nominated multiple times for the conference player of the week. Catchers are usually one of the two worst hitting positions in baseball due to the beating their bodies take all game, yet I still put up very respectable offensive numbers . . . and my strength was defense . . . not to mention coaches and players voted me as a captain for my final three years. "The most ok" doesn't end up starting every year. Coaches are tasked with trying to recruit better players at each position every year, but even though they gave a JUCO all-american catcher a scholarship, gave a full scholarship (rare in baseball given to only superstars) to another catcher who had Big 10 offers, and gave yet another scholarship to a catcher (not to mention two walk-on catchers), I still beat them out. Now, run along you jealous little bitch.

RYAN is 100% Correct.....in fact he gave some constructive tips to a good catcher from a Charlotte HS on "blocking the ball and proper throwing technique for sound catchers." That catcher in now a major league pitcher in the Cinny Reds organization----in Spring training (Arizona) trying to win his way back to the BIGS after suffering a shoulder injury!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

HA HA HA.19MU88......

how about you (if you can get inside the locked security gate to Dan's house) try to sneak & peek when we [family & INVITED friends===not you] Honor & Celebrate the Life of Uncle Lewis D this summer, ever though he passed about 2 years ago. It's called FAMILY REUNION----Duh!

HerdZilla22 [G Sweeney] in Charlotte
i'm not family, but I've been to his house. I really enjoyed it, great view up there on top of the world and awesome home. but again, i'm not family

RYAN is 100% Correct.....in fact he gave some constructive tips to a good catcher from a Charlotte HS on "blocking the ball and proper throwing technique for sound catchers." That catcher in now a major league pitcher in the Cinny Reds organization----in Spring training (Arizona) trying to win his way back to the BIGS after suffering a shoulder injury!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
His instruction and tips were so damn good the catcher became a pitcher, by God. Play Ball!

God Bless Uncle Lewis

Da0nqcPh_400x400.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT