ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Coach Huff

This board was in meltdown when it was first heard Huff was already sending feelers to the P5 after one season...everyone was quick to be critical of his coaching
The board was...I wasn't. A p5 comes calling on you (he didn't send out feelers) for an interview you're going to interview.

Sure, like our QB room has been loaded with talent since the 90s. We aren't a P5 with 5 star guys beating down our door to come here. You're going to use the portal to build depth, especially when we had no depth. Every coach is using the portal to do it.

Maybe not loaded with P5 talent, but seeing the starter out there with potentially better QB's riding the bench is entirely on the HC.
With what MU has at QB, they should be better, but they aren't utilizing their QB's and simply forcing the least qualified one to play, sometimes injured, instead of opening the position.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Maybe not loaded with P5 talent, but seeing the starter out there with potentially better QB's riding the bench is entirely on the HC
Who is the potential "better" QB in the room right now. I havent seen them. Yes. That is on the HC. Why are we debating this???

The same thing it meant to Parrish, Chaump, Donnan, and even Pruett.

Well, Parrish was gone after 2 years 13-8-1, not sure what it meant to him.
Chaump and Donnan stayed longer than Huff is likely to be.
Pruett really shouldn't be listed because he never actually left.

But all three were FCS HC's and got hired by bigger programs. Glad it worked out for Donnan.

"Caring about winning"
Your take: "Conference championship, double digit win seasons."

Coaches take: "We are winning. I want an opportunity at a bigger program."

Again, coaches will only care about winning because that is what they are paid to do.

A conference title is great, but not a HC requirement to go elsewhere.
^^^FIFY^^^

"To go elsewhere" requires WINNING. That's what coaches are paid to do.....WIN.

If your HC actually cares about the program, he'll at least try to make it right.
Is this why Doc's locker room was a complete shitshow the last couple of years he was here? He "cared" so much? Drug dealers, players charged with Fed hate crimes, fights between teammates outside the facilities...I guess he learned how to "make it right" via his time with Urban Meyer.

Whether you like Huff or not, there is no evidence that this is remotely tolerated with his group of players.

Who is the potential "better" QB in the room right now. I havent seen them. Yes. That is on the HC. Why are we debating this???

Since Fancher is partially injured and can't throw to save his life (as it has been pointed out here).
You have a former NFL QB's son and a transfer who has playing experience among them.
Pretty much anyone else at this point.

Well, Parrish was gone after 2 years 13-8-1, not sure what it meant to him.
Chaump and Donnan stayed longer than Huff is likely to be.
Pruett really shouldn't be listed because he never actually left.

But all three were FCS HC's and got hired by bigger programs. Glad it worked out for Donnan.
We knew what it meant to Parrish. The same it meant to everyone else. Got a better offer and was gone.
Pruett never left because he got a large chunk of coin to stay in the final hour. He was gone to Houston.
Chaump stayed 4 seasons. Donnan 5. We have no idea how long Huff will be here. My guess, he will likely be gone after year 4, and probably wont be by his choice if things continue to go the way they have been going.

Last edited:
Since Fancher is partially injured and can't throw to save his life (as it has been pointed out here).
You have a former NFL QB's son and a transfer who has playing experience among them.
Pretty much anyone else at this point.
More hope and smoke. Sounds like a Huff press conference these days.

^^^FIFY^^^

"To go elsewhere" requires WINNING. That's what coaches are paid to do.....WIN.

Except, and goodness I'll say it again,

Winning in a HC's mind means getting to the next level. The more the merrier but for many, it's just the next level.

Huff interviews for Duke after going 7-6.

That's "WINNING" in his eyes.

Is this why Doc's locker room was a complete shitshow the last couple of years he was here? He "cared" so much? Drug dealers, players charged with Fed hate crimes, fights between teammates outside the facilities...I guess he learned how to "make it right" via his time with Urban Meyer.

Whether you like Huff or not, there is no evidence that this is remotely tolerated with his group of players.

Well, he could have just left it the way it was. How many coaches have left programs in complete disarray after tons of infractions or legal problems?
You think this is anything new? Plenty of programs (minus the service academies) have had pretty substantially horrible things happen. Some are better than others at hiding it.
Hell, there was a whole book written about Pruett and MU.
I can't say Huff tolerates things or not but given the transfer portal and NIL, it's much easier to just leave than stay and create drama.

More hope and smoke. Sounds like a Huff press conference these days.

Seriously, what's to lose at this point? Pennington and anyone else plays a full game, sucks, then I guess anyone who said, including me, Fancher is not the best QB to play is wrong.

Huff interviews for Duke after going 7-6.

That's "WINNING" in his eyes
You would turn down a potential bigger job with more opportunities even if you had only been in your current job 1 year?? I'm calling BS if you say yes.

Well, he could have just left it the way it was.
He didn't have to. His contract wasn't renewed because of the troubles that were going on.

The board was...I wasn't. A p5 comes calling on you (he didn't send out feelers) for an interview you're going to interview.
Apologies to Raleigh, but it was easier to quote this in reference to Huff's interview instead of sifting through that 10 chapter novel.

For the record @Herdguy04 we weren't pissed, I would say more like appalled that our new head coach was willing to travel for an interview barely midway into his first season.

You know that it wasn't after he completed the season, right?? By doing so, he made a statement practically from the get go that he had no intentions of staying a day longer than he has to at Marshall.

Reactions: Herdguy04
You would turn down a potential bigger job with more opportunities even if you had only been in your current job 1 year?? I'm calling BS if you say yes.

He didn't have to. His contract wasn't renewed because of the troubles that were going on.

No, I wouldn't. I'd take the Duke job in a heartbeat.
But that's the point. It's about ME, not MU. My definition of "winning" was what got me to a higher paying job.

Your definition "winning" got you nowhere.

Guess what? As the former HC of MU, it's not his problem anymore.
...and you'll sit there scratching your head saying, "but, but, I was promised the energetic young coordinator was gonna win me championships and like...not go 1 win above .500??"

Dysfunctional as ever, but somehow managed to make the title game. The supposed squeaky clean program (and it isn't, no program is) Huff is running can't cobble together an offensive TD in, what, 8 quarters now?

Apologies to Raleigh, but it was easier to quote this in reference to Huff's interview instead of sifting through that 10 chapter novel.

For the record @Herdguy04 we weren't pissed, I would say more like appalled that our new head coach was willing to travel for an interview barely midway into his first season.

You know that it wasn't after he completed the season, right?? By doing so, he made a statement practically from the get go that he had no intentions of staying a day longer than he has to at Marshall.

As I have said, you shouldn't be appaulled anymore.
This will literally be the norm.

"No intentions of staying a day longer than he has to."
You are absolutely right and that's going to be the mentality of 9/10 HC's that come here and it's a potentially horrible thing for MU.

As I have said, you shouldn't be appaulled anymore.
This will literally be the norm.

"No intentions of staying a day longer than he has to."
You are absolutely right and that's going to be the mentality of 9/10 HC's that come here and it's a potentially horrible thing for MU.
Almost every program in D-1 is a "stepping stone". If a coach isn't looking to get to the Mountain top then you probably don't want them. But what you do want is someone to be fully invested in the area, winning and the future health of your program while they are here.

Reactions: mlblack16.
No, I wouldn't. I'd take the Duke job in a heartbeat.
But that's the point. It's about ME, not MU. My definition of "winning" was what got me to a higher paying job.

Your definition "winning" got you nowhere.

Guess what? As the former HC of MU, it's not his problem anymore.
...and you'll sit there scratching your head saying, "but, but, I was promised the energetic young coordinator was gonna win me championships and like...not go 1 win above .500??"

Dysfunctional as ever, but somehow managed to make the title game. The supposed squeaky clean program (and it isn't, no program is) Huff is running can't cobble together an offensive TD in, what, 8 quarters now?
Your rambling incoherent thoughts at this point. Continue to talk to yourself. Clearly you're debating yourself.

Reactions: sluggo72
But what you do want is someone to be fully invested in the area,
Huff and his family are as involved in the area as Pruett was (minus the terrible steakhouse that someone else funded so he could get another check). And certainly more involved than the last guy.

Almost every program in D-1 is a "stepping stone". If a coach isn't looking to get to the Mountain top then you probably don't want them. But what you do want is someone to be fully invested in the area, winning and the future health of your program while they are here.
Very few are around long enough to do that. Not saying MU couldn't land someone like that, but it's a constant gamble.
I always look at Southern Miss, who had a consistent head coach, very similar to Doc, but they let him go, or fired him, whatever, because he wasn't getting the program more.
They got Fedora who was a young coordinator. He did get them a CUSA title and then left.
It's been a complete dumpster fire since then. An occasional good season but nothing like they once were and wanted to be.

Your rambling incoherent thoughts at this point. Continue to talk to yourself. Clearly you're debating yourself.

I'm not, actually.
You've essentially put yourself in a bind and you know it.
You have too much pride on an online forum to admit you're a bit stuck with your argument.

Very few are around long enough to do that. Not saying MU couldn't land someone like that, but it's a constant gamble.
I always look at Southern Miss, who had a consistent head coach, very similar to Doc, but they let him go, or fired him, whatever, because he wasn't getting the program more.
They got Fedora who was a young coordinator. He did get them a CUSA title and then left.
It's been a complete dumpster fire since then. An occasional good season but nothing like they once were and wanted to be.
Good example, but I think a proper AD is where a school can also go wrong. Look at Marcum and the complacency he enjoyed during his tenure. We finally made advancements in facilities under Hamrick. I really don't know a lot about Spears, but I hope he will think outside the metro area for the next head football coach.

There are mid-majors out there getting it done though, and it depends on whether or not you are willing to strive to be champions or settle with meh. Ultimately it is a gamble but you'll never be on top if you're not willing to assume risk.

Good example, but I think a proper AD is where a school can also go wrong. Look at Marcum and the complacency he enjoyed during his tenure. We finally made advancements in facilities under Hamrick. I really don't know a lot about Spears, but I hope he will think outside the metro area for the next head football coach.

There are mid-majors out there getting it done though, and it depends on whether or not you are willing to strive to be champions or settle with meh. Ultimately it is a gamble but you'll never be on top if you're not willing to assume risk.
Hiring a new coach may involve some degree of luck, but not changing coaches once you know he's bad is just plain stupid. The analysis you have to make is whether or not the current guy can win. If he can't, you move on.

Most of this thread greatly over complicates the issue.

I'm not, actually.
You've essentially put yourself in a bind and you know it.
You have too much pride on an online forum to admit you're a bit stuck with your argument.
What's my bind exactly? You've been spinning and re-spinning every assertion you've attempted to make since this started. I believe a coach's job is to win. Your position is a coach's job is to care. There is no "stuck" in my opinion. Your definition of "winning" is "caring", which may or may not lead to a winning program. My definition of "winning" is "winning" which leads to opportunities.

Your assertion appears to be Huff has one foot out the door. Aside from Doc, most of our coaches have had 1 foot out the door and I dont have a problem with it.

What's my bind exactly? You've been spinning and re-spinning every assertion you've attempted to make since this started. I believe a coach's job is to win. Your position is a coach's job is to care. There is no "stuck" in my opinion. Your definition of "winning" is "caring", which may or may not lead to a winning program. My definition of "winning" is "winning" which leads to opportunities.

Your assertion appears to be Huff has one foot out the door. Aside from Doc, most of our coaches have had 1 foot out the door and I dont have a problem with it.

Ok, if you don't have a problem with it then I fully expect you to not complain about Huff coaching, or the team performing under par, for the remainder of the season.
Also, to not say anything except good things about Huff if he leaves because of opportunities for, apparently, both MU and Huff.
You will be warned and reminded if you do, because you'd be a hippocrite.

Cheers!

Ok, if you don't have a problem with it then I fully expect you to not complain about Huff coaching, or the team performing under par, for the remainder of the season.
I most certainly can have a problem with Huff...NOT WINNING. That's not hypocritical to anything I've said.
Also, to not say anything except good things about Huff if he leaves because of opportunities for, apparently, both MU and Huff.
Huh? English please.

I most certainly can have a problem with Huff...NOT WINNING. That's not hypocritical to anything I've said.

Huh? English please.
I thnk he's telling us, he doesnt have a degree, without telling us, he doesnt have a degree.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT