ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Doc

Doc has no 'fire' in him. All he does is pace the sideline game after game. This lack of 'fire' or lack of is seen on the field by the players. They seem to just go thru the motion. I truly feel the program is in worse shape than when Snyder left.

He does that because that's all he knows how to do. He's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator so he's never put together a game plan. No one in the country was ever willing to put him in charge of half the team until Hamrick decided to put him in charge of 100% of ours. He doesn't adjust because he doesn't know how. Clint VanHorn said on Herdfans that Doc doesn't even talk to the team at halftime, he goes with the special teams guys and the coordinators and position coaches handle everything else.

. Clint VanHorn said on Herdfans that Doc doesn't even talk to the team at halftime, he goes with the special teams guys and the coordinators and position coaches handle everything else.

That’s more the norm than the exception.

The head coach spends a brief moment with the whole staff, then offense and defense split. Position coaches talk to their guys for about half of the time, then coordinators get a few minutes with their entire side, then the HC may get one minute at the end with the entire team for a motivational/stay focused lecture. Sometimes, the order of the coordinators and position coaches splitting may switch, but I’ve never seen a HC spend more than a minute or two of halftime with the entire team or a certain position unless it’s his offense.

Last edited:
I would trade our entire staff for North Dakota State's staff.

South Dakota State’s staff may be more impressive. The NDSU staff walked into a goldmine of talent, stability, fandom, and tradition. They’ve done a good job of keeping things rolling after two other dominant head coaches, but the SDSU staff (at least the current head coach and o-coordinator who left this season) actually built a highly successful program.

Now, the HC did get popped for a DUI a couple of years ago, and he did it while drinking a rather embarrassing drink, but by most accounts he is a good guy.

South Dakota State’s staff may be more impressive. The NDSU staff walked into a goldmine of talent, stability, fandom, and tradition. They’ve done a good job of keeping things rolling after two other dominant head coaches, but the SDSU staff (at least the current head coach and o-coordinator who left this season) actually built a highly successful program.

Now, the HC did get popped for a DUI a couple of years ago, and he did it while drinking a rather embarrassing drink, but by most accounts he is a good guy.

Not the best decision by Coach Stiegelmeier with the drink or DUI.

He's been at SDSU for what, 30 plus years? Twenty or so of those seasons as head coach too.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
We might not have another win this season.

ODU toss up
Charlotte L
WKU L
FIU toss up
FAU L
Rice L
LA Tech L

He does that because that's all he knows how to do. He's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator so he's never put together a game plan. No one in the country was ever willing to put him in charge of half the team until Hamrick decided to put him in charge of 100% of ours. He doesn't adjust because he doesn't know how. Clint VanHorn said on Herdfans that Doc doesn't even talk to the team at halftime, he goes with the special teams guys and the coordinators and position coaches handle everything else.
That’s true

Doc has no 'fire' in him. All he does is pace the sideline game after game. This lack of 'fire' or lack of is seen on the field by the players. They seem to just go thru the motion. I truly feel the program is in worse shape than when Snyder left.

I like this, but, for some reason, your phone keeps auto correcting the word "brain" as "fire."

I’m not an insider - don’t know anyone actually on the team or on the staff. I am a member of the Big Green, but not in a big enough way anyone would want to take my call or know my name. I am simply a 30+ year die hard supporter of the the Herd who plans my family vacations/activities around football games in the fall and makes the 8+ hour one way drive to Huntington or other locations a couple times a year with the family to watch them play.

BUT, IMHO, Mike Hamrick should reach out to former Herd greats and solicit their help in getting us back where we once were. Moss may be a lost cause, but get a round table together of Pennington, Leftwich, Troy Brown, Mike Barber, Lee Smith, Darryl Roberts, Vinny Curry, anyone that will listen, to get their thoughts. If we are searching for a new coach, have them call the prospective targets and let them know there is a rich tradition here and former players want us to be successful and will back them. I know that not everyone is going to jump on board, but some will and there are countless other folks that they could ask that I couldn’t possibly list here.

Help us (fill in former play name here), you’re our only hope.

I’m not an insider - don’t know anyone actually on the team or on the staff. I am a member of the Big Green, but not in a big enough way anyone would want to take my call or know my name. I am simply a 30+ year die hard supporter of the the Herd who plans my family vacations/activities around football games in the fall and makes the 8+ hour one way drive to Huntington or other locations a couple times a year with the family to watch them play.

BUT, IMHO, Mike Hamrick should reach out to former Herd greats and solicit their help in getting us back where we once were. Moss may be a lost cause, but get a round table together of Pennington, Leftwich, Troy Brown, Mike Barber, Lee Smith, Darryl Roberts, Vinny Curry, anyone that will listen, to get their thoughts. If we are searching for a new coach, have them call the prospective targets and let them know there is a rich tradition here and former players want us to be successful and will back them. I know that not everyone is going to jump on board, but some will and there are countless other folks that they could ask that I couldn’t possibly list here.

Unless it’s fundraising, no ones help is desired.

Last edited:
Doc will not resign/quit and Mike Hamrick will not do it unless Jerome tells Mike do so or else. We all know home attendance is now going to take a big hit with our remaining home games. The Joan would have to be completely empty to get the message across to the AD and even then he would hesitate. Regardless of how poor this team plays I will still be watching.

Might the fundraising campaign be the biggest hurdle to making a coaching change this season? Seems unlikely MU has enough cash laying around (half a mil?) to buy out Doc’s last year, let alone staff... wouldn’t that have to come from donors? If so, any funds raised for this effort could take away from the campaign, which is Hamrick’s top financial priority. Just wondering.

Might the fundraising campaign be the biggest hurdle to making a coaching change this season? Seems unlikely MU has enough cash laying around (half a mil?) to buy out Doc’s last year, let alone staff... wouldn’t that have to come from donors? If so, any funds raised for this effort could take away from the campaign, which is Hamrick’s top financial priority. Just wondering.
Could go both ways. If a couple big donors say the cash stops unless a change is made things might move quickly

Reactions: Elkview

I think our athletic department needs a change of pace. But this is not how to do it. Those guys were amazing players. Doesn’t mean that’s who we should talk to to give us a direction. This is essentially the approach that USC’s athletic department has taken... “let’s just hire the most famous former football player we can because he was great”. They hired Lynn Swann. It didn’t work out.

We need a new AD and we need to better the relationship with alumni. And we need a new football coach. We don’t need to ask former players to be defacto ADs.

Reactions: Sash19
Good players from the past would help if they could motivate some of our players if they would have access
to them.If Doc leaves we need to give Pruitt a position in the AD dept.His just being there would help.Maybe he could help with the Big Green .Every time I have seen him he is positive and would be a good asset to be around the program.

I think our athletic department needs a change of pace. But this is not how to do it. Those guys were amazing players. Doesn’t mean that’s who we should talk to to give us a direction. This is essentially the approach that USC’s athletic department has taken... “let’s just hire the most famous former football player we can because he was great”. They hired Lynn Swann. It didn’t work out.

We need a new AD and we need to better the relationship with alumni. And we need a new football coach. We don’t need to ask former players to be defacto ADs.

I don’t think we get their input on picking a coach, only get them to help once one is targeted to help us get across the finish line. Give them a way to be involved and close to the program. We have to get some of these past players to support the program and elevate the status of the job.

Just a thought. I know it won’t happen, just would like to see some energy from former players. Rumors are numerous that there is some tension there.

Current contract due to the stupidity of the AD does not expire until 2021.

Where does Marshall have or where would Marshall find or come up with the $$$ to buy out his contract and then make a new hire? Not gonna happen.

Probably stuck with him until the end of his contract as I seriously doubt he would do the honorable thing and resign. Then again win another game this season and Hamrick might extend the contract again..lol.

Marshall77 while the contract is set to expire in 2021 you need to remember that Doc - IF he would win the CUSA East Division. ; IF he would go on and win the CUSA title, and if he wins yet another bowl game - well all that translates into contract extensions and pay raises - all courtesy of MH when he began doing the contracts. It will take the utter collapse of the program for MH to fire Doc.

I'm an outsider looking in from a WVU point of view so my opinion may not be well received on this forum, and that's okay. I'd just like to know if y'all realize that many assistant coaches and coordinators at P-5 programs get paid much more than what Doc is getting paid to be your head coach. For instance, Bud Foster is getting $1 millon for his last year as VT's defensive coordinator. WVU defensive coordinator Vic Koenning gets $ 650,000 per year in his first year at WVU. And Doc, as a head coach is getting $755,000 per year in his role as Marshall's head coach. Face it guys, the Marshall athletic department cannot pay the kind of money it takes to get a hot new up and coming coach to come to Huntington. You should appreciate Doc a little more than what I see on this forum. I'm sure he could have made more money elsewhere but he chose to stay and do the best he could do for the Herd.

Face it guys, the Marshall athletic department cannot pay the kind of money it takes to get a hot new up and coming coach to come to Huntington.

You're an idiot. There are plenty of top FCS head coaches and FBS coordinators/assistants who would kill for the job.

Scott Satterfield was making less at App State. Graham Harrell, Jake Spavital, and numerous others are considered hot coordinators who would have taken it any of the last few years.

I'm sure he could have made more money elsewhere but he chose to stay and do the best he could do for the Herd.

Oh, really? Tell us which school would offer him a head coaching position for more than $750K.

I'm an outsider looking in from a WVU point of view so my opinion may not be well received on this forum, and that's okay. I'd just like to know if y'all realize that many assistant coaches and coordinators at P-5 programs get paid much more than what Doc is getting paid to be your head coach. For instance, Bud Foster is getting $1 millon for his last year as VT's defensive coordinator. WVU defensive coordinator Vic Koenning gets $ 650,000 per year in his first year at WVU. And Doc, as a head coach is getting $755,000 per year in his role as Marshall's head coach. Face it guys, the Marshall athletic department cannot pay the kind of money it takes to get a hot new up and coming coach to come to Huntington. You should appreciate Doc a little more than what I see on this forum. I'm sure he could have made more money elsewhere but he chose to stay and do the best he could do for the Herd.
Yeah when you bring stupid shit like that it won’t be well received. Feel free to copy and paste some of what you read here for when you all want your new guy drawn and quartered after you lose about 5 more in a row

Jeebus, you cherry pick much? Of course you would pick an extreme example like this.

There are nearly 50 FBS assistant coaches, most of whom are coordinators, who make more than Doc annually. Included in that are some coordinators who are making up to $2.5 million annually on multi-year deals. That's about three times more than what Doc makes annually.

The truth is that Doc was an assistant coach for 30 years at what are now called P5 schools. In those 30 years he was never promoted to, or offered, an offensive or defensive coordinator position. He was certainly not offered a head coaching position.

So, it you want to show me where he could make more money, you'll have,to show me position coaches who are making $800,000 a year and prove to me Doc could take their jobs.

Reactions: Timtnt9
I don’t think we get their input on picking a coach, only get them to help once one is targeted to help us get across the finish line. Give them a way to be involved and close to the program. We have to get some of these past players to support the program and elevate the status of the job.

Just a thought. I know it won’t happen, just would like to see some energy from former players. Rumors are numerous that there is some tension there.

I see what you’re saying. And honestly it’s not a terrible idea to have them involved. I misread what you were saying. I think we need to better the relationship with them in some ways. And make them feel appreciated.

Good players from the past would help if they could motivate some of our players if they would have access
to them.If Doc leaves we need to give Pruitt a position in the AD dept.His just being there would help.Maybe he could help with the Big Green .Every time I have seen him he is positive and would be a good asset to be around the program.

I don’t know if Pruitt would be interested though. I always got the impression he’d wAnt to be the one in charge. I don’t think that’s a good idea. Having him in the department is fine if he can do something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT