ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Doc

I'm an outsider looking in from a WVU point of view so my opinion may not be well received on this forum, and that's okay. I'd just like to know if y'all realize that many assistant coaches and coordinators at P-5 programs get paid much more than what Doc is getting paid to be your head coach. For instance, Bud Foster is getting $1 millon for his last year as VT's defensive coordinator. WVU defensive coordinator Vic Koenning gets $ 650,000 per year in his first year at WVU. And Doc, as a head coach is getting $755,000 per year in his role as Marshall's head coach. Face it guys, the Marshall athletic department cannot pay the kind of money it takes to get a hot new up and coming coach to come to Huntington. You should appreciate Doc a little more than what I see on this forum. I'm sure he could have made more money elsewhere but he chose to stay and do the best he could do for the Herd.

Disagree, I think if any school wanted him, the local media would have known. To date only Pitt has interviewed him and I think Doc asked for the interview, they didn't. I may be wrong, on that. If so, I apologize. For someone as successful as he has been (how do we interpret that) - seems like other schools would have come calling.
I like Doc, seems like a decent guy and loyal. But he is too old school and certainly has issues letting go of the reigns. I really question his recruiting prowess these days. Seems like he relies on NQ's to get eligible way too much. jmo.

There are a couple of things going here.

- First, there is a “politics makes strange bedfellows” theme, linking the WVU posters (and of the WVU posters, the one posting in this thread is among the less delusional) and the hometown hero Marshall people. The WVU crowd said at the time Doc was hired “he is not a head coach” to cover for Manchin and horseface, and they have a vested interest in it. The hometown hero crew have a two-fold deal going. They are the true WVU haters and will never accept Doc because he wore the yellow and blue; and they are the people who spew out name after name of MU graduates who are somehow going to have their first coaching job in all of football as a HC at the DI level. The less delusional of that crowd somehow think that some cabal of MU lettermen has a short list of who would be a good HC if just asked. Think about it, if you graduated from MU, do you have clue one who would make a good dean or department chair for your major?

- The shiny object crew is doing what delusional such posters do. They get on the internet and see who is having a good year at Southwest Stumptown Community Tech and say “I would hire their whole staff”. Of course, DI football does not work that way. The next MU HC, whenever that is, will H A V E to be from the ranks of DI assistants and be tuned into the MU recruiting system (AKA Florida). Some rando who gets Nebraska’s culls to go to school in North Dakota would have zero traction trying to recruit in our time zone.

- Then we have the BP crew. Sometimes combined as “BP as a figurehead, with CP taking over in a few years”. BP is pushing 80. CP is coaching a Christian HS and has zero experience in college coaching or recruiting. Not happening.

- Lastly, we have the over-reactors. Fire everyone. OK, with specifics, list exactly who you would hire (and “coach at X” covered about is an automatic fail) exactly how you would fund it, and why that person would come here.

Memo: the next HC, whenever that is (and, yes, Doc’s seat is very warm now, he has a chance to lose this team and go 3-9 or so, will be either a DI assistant none of you have every heard of who has ZERO connection to MU, WV or the Tri-State; or a retread LOSER who failed elsewhere.

It is time to get real and see if Doc can right the ship.

We all know what happens next. We go on and finish 8-4 or 9-3, may play for the CUSA championship, and play in a bowl and Doc gets an extension and we start this thread all over again. No end.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We all know what happens next. We go on and finish 8-4 or 9-3, may play for the CUSA championship, and play in a bowl and Doc gets an extension and we start this thread all over again. No end.

Slight correction...you speak as if we are in the CUSA Championship game with any consistency. It's more like we reach that overall W-L record without sniffing the Conference Championship game and then we win some low level bowl game convincingly which creates hope and optimism going into the 2020 season.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
If we win out, and certainly that is a big if, we not only win the east division, as we would own the tiebreaker with all other contenders, but it should bring the championship game to Huntington, since we would own the tiebreaker with LT, assuming they win the west.

It's all in what you consider success. All things considered we were much more successful as a 1-AA and MAC member than we have ever been in CUSA which is when you look at it from top to bottom a very weak conference. Winning CUSA in football still does not get you a really great bowl game , win it in hoops and get the one bid available.

Have never dominated football , hoops , baseball , track , golf ...occasionally we show up in a semi final or final , but for the most part very average success.

Somehow this semi success in football leads to Holliday being granted another extension and on and on we go...biggest problem with Marshall athletics - the AD.

It's all in what you consider success. All things considered we were much more successful as a 1-AA and MAC member than we have ever been in CUSA which is when you look at it from top to bottom a very weak conference. Winning CUSA in football still does not get you a really great bowl game , win it in hoops and get the one bid available.

Have never dominated football , hoops , baseball , track , golf ...occasionally we show up in a semi final or final , but for the most part very average success.

Somehow this semi success in football leads to Holliday being granted another extension and on and on we go...biggest problem with Marshall athletics - the AD.

how is that any different than when we were in the MAC?

.......yeah, and who was running the ship when we were in the MAC circa 1997? I have no idea, but he wouldn’t have been able to carry Hammy’s Tommy Johns. MH has done more to advance MU athletics in 10 years than many on here thought possible. Baseball stadium, so long a field of dreams, took another tangible step today towards reality.
This bull sheet that our AD is the cause of the Herd’s problems is 100% garbage....

.......yeah, and who was running the ship when we were in the MAC circa 1997? I have no idea, but he wouldn’t have been able to carry Hammy’s Tommy Johns. MH has done more to advance MU athletics in 10 years than many on here thought possible. Baseball stadium, so long a field of dreams, took another tangible step today towards reality.
This bull sheet that our AD is the cause of the Herd’s problems is 100% garbage....
Honestly, how has he advanced MU athletics? I am being serious. I live out of town and I don't see how it has been advanced. The baseball stadium is nice and 100 years over due, but how does that advance MU athletics. I think MU gets less exposure and notoriety now thamin many years. Football has certainly slipped and that is really a big face (if not the face) of the university or at lease it was.

I just don't see how it has been advanced or is growing. For two decades or more MU was always trying to get better and even move upwards. I don't see that now at all. Frankly, I don't get the love affair and I don't see the vision.

Honestly, how has he advanced MU athletics? I am being serious. I live out of town and I don't see how it has been advanced. The baseball stadium is nice and 100 years over due, but how does that advance MU athletics. I think MU gets less exposure and notoriety now thamin many years. Football has certainly slipped and that is really a big face (if not the face) of the university or at lease it was.

I just don't see how it has been advanced or is growing. For two decades or more MU was always trying to get better and even move upwards. I don't see that now at all. Frankly, I don't get the love affair and I don't see the vision.
He has advanced facilities considerably and I appreciate that. He has done little else IMO to advance the program.

Are you serious with this quote?? In the 8 years we were in the MAC we won the MAC East 6 times the overall MAC 5 times and finished second in the MAC the other 2 years. In the one year we didn’t go to a bowl we were 8-4 and beat the number 6 team and BCS bowl team Kansas State. In our worst year in the MAC where we finished 6-5 overall and 6-2 in the MAC we took Ohio State and Georgia to the wires.

The MAC was awful nobody is denying it but we dominated it! We were the premier program, when we played terrible teams like ODU and Western Ky at home we stomped them. Plus when we were in the MAC it was when we first went back to FBS. But now 22 years after coming back to FBS and recruiting and winning and all of those things if we are in a conference that is as crappy as the old MAC wouldn’t it reason that if we developed in these past 22 years we would be dominating this MAC like conference like we did that version of the MAC?

He has advanced facilities considerably and I appreciate that. He has done little else IMO to advance the program.

I would say he has upgraded the basketball program leaps & bounds. 1st NC2A basketball win, upgraded recruitment of quality talent in basketball / Facilities are exponentially better (IPF, baseball stadium (2021) separate basketball practice facility (??) We have been decent in some of the non-rev sports W Tennis/ W Golf/ post-season appearances for W Softball & W basketball / graduation rates improved for the student athletes / All of these make MU a more attractive place for recruits as well as good PR in general for enrollment.....He has stuck with his guy in football, and painting w/a broad brush even the nay sayers would admit we have seen FAR leaner times on the gridiron....
I guess it depends on how you define success for an AD at a mid major small enrollment school that has ALWAYS had to do more with less, and is the epitome of the little engine that could. On balance I believe he gets a B+ - would like to see the Joan get some love...

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Are you serious with this quote?? In the 8 years we were in the MAC we won the MAC East 6 times the overall MAC 5 times and finished second in the MAC the other 2 years. In the one year we didn’t go to a bowl we were 8-4 and beat the number 6 team and BCS bowl team Kansas State. In our worst year in the MAC where we finished 6-5 overall and 6-2 in the MAC we took Ohio State and Georgia to the wires.

The MAC was awful nobody is denying it but we dominated it! We were the premier program, when we played terrible teams like ODU and Western Ky at home we stomped them. Plus when we were in the MAC it was when we first went back to FBS. But now 22 years after coming back to FBS and recruiting and winning and all of those things if we are in a conference that is as crappy as the old MAC wouldn’t it reason that if we developed in these past 22 years we would be dominating this MAC like conference like we did that version of the MAC?
cali - alls I’m sayin’ is this: We were a team with extraordinary talent coming into a doormat league. We disrupted the MAC to such a degree that they played catch-up the 1st, what 6 seasons? By the time we left they had been forced to upgrade talent and philosophy big time. We came into a new league, made a poor coaching hire/ were hurt by NCAA penalties that had a lingering effect on the program. We look back nostalgically at the Pruett years and they were phenomenal! But anyone whose name doesn’t start and end with “A” usually sees highs and lows, ebbs and flows....

Reactions: ohio herd
cali - alls I’m sayin’ is this: We were a team with extraordinary talent coming into a doormat league. We disrupted the MAC to such a degree that they played catch-up the 1st, what 6 seasons? By the time we left they had been forced to upgrade talent and philosophy big time. We came into a new league, made a poor coaching hire/ were hurt by NCAA penalties that had a lingering effect on the program. We look back nostalgically at the Pruett years and they were phenomenal! But anyone whose name doesn’t start and end with “A” usually sees highs and lows, ebbs and flows....
We also came out of IAA into the MAC. We went into a strong CUSA, but this version of CUSA is not good at all. The team we beat today lost to a FCS(IAA team) this year. And, we have now been playing IA ball for 22 years. This CUSA is a shell of its former self.

I often wonder how many I-AA/FCS titles MU would've won if the program had never moved up to the FBS.

I enjoy the FBS level and playing against certain teams. However, I miss the excitement of the playoffs and actually having a chance to win a National Championship. Instead it seems we only get to fight for table scraps as a reward for being a FBS school. One has to ask if that outcome is worth the investment.

I often wonder how many I-AA/FCS titles MU would've won if the program had never moved up to the FBS.

I enjoy the FBS level and playing against certain teams. However, I miss the excitement of the playoffs and actually having a chance to win a National Championship. Instead it seems we only get to fight for table scraps as a reward for being a FBS school. One has to ask if that outcome is worth the investment.
king - can you imagine this board in super- Chernobyl mode if we didn’t make the move up? Talk about crisis hot-line!! :eek:

I honestly didn’t think with the turnaround since the UC and MTSU losses that there would people on here finding a way to diminish the win, especially with a clear path to the C-USA title game. I was obviously wrong. Unless Doc would win every single game he coaches convincingly, there are some on here that are going to find some way to criticize him and lessen the value of wins.

The most important job for an AD is hiring coaches. You can win with mediocre facilities you cannot win with mediocre coaches. Players pick schools for the coach, everything else is frosting.

Reactions: whf2
I honestly didn’t think with the turnaround since the UC and MTSU losses that there would people on here finding a way to diminish the win, especially with a clear path to the C-USA title game. I was obviously wrong. Unless Doc would win every single game he coaches convincingly, there are some on here that are going to find some way to criticize him and lessen the value of wins.
Because Doc's winning percentage should be about 15 to 20% higher and he should win more titles. Just being honest. That is what I expect of Marshall Football. His winning percentage should be around 75% and Marshall should win the conference ever 3 years or so. My expectations of MU football are high. The conference is basically a dud. We should win it more times than not. Went golfing yesterday and I had to hear about my buddies App St Mountaineers being ranked 21 in the country. I want bragging rights.

this is what I was responding to:It's all in what you consider success. All things considered we were much more successful as a 1-AA and MAC member than we have ever been in CUSA which is when you look at it from top to bottom a very weak conference. Winning CUSA in football still does not get you a really great bowl game , win it in hoops and get the one bid available.We still play in low level bowls and are in a one bid conference in basketball ....like the MAC

As all paying attention understand, the truly delusional crew wants MU to win every game, every year, but considers that to be no accomplishment. And coming back with wanting to win "only" every third year is just bet hedging.

But let us talk about this I-AA and MAC stuff. Everyone is approaching the matter with 20-20 hindsight having the knowledge of how the sports business world has turned out.

- I-AA. DURING THE ERA, MU was loosing its ass at I-AA. Over long playoffs made regular season meaningless. NCAA had no interest in the division and spent zero. There was no such thing as internet live video and the number of channels meant no on was on TV except us, and us only because of our late friend. CBS covered the final, because it had too in its basketball contract with the NCAA, and put it against Army-Navy. Today, there are almost 20 live sports channels, and every game is on TV or internet. Gambling is legal nationwide and the thirst for action means even I-AA games are playable. The NCAA is flush with cash from basketball and tosses enough at I-AA to make it viable. Now, unless you can point to where you said any of this was going to happen back in 1996, you have no point to make.

- MAC. DURING THE ERA, the MAC was a steaming pile. Just before MU joined the NCAA has just given up trying to relegate the MAC, which was just the Big 10's culls playing 1960s Big 10 football. Fat linemen hit each other and three yards and a cloud of dust. It was small time. BP brought in fast modern Southern football and fast Southerners, and we know what happened. But, the winner of the league, and ONLY the winner of the league, went to a made up bowl played before fundamentally no one but MU fans, in frozen Detroit. Lose the conference=no bowl. And we lost money at it. Again, TV was very different, people did not just expect to get a game and bitch and moan that it was "only" on this or that channel (again no internet). Now ESPN has eight channels, just to itself, no to mention its competitors, so it has ginned up a system where it has more bowl games than there are good teams and 6-6=bowl. Now every game is on TV, and there are multiple games on weeknights after baseball is over. And Texas started the LN which destroyed the original B12, which kicked off a great realignment that made CUSA somewhat weaker than before and so on. Now, unless you can point to where you said any of that was going to happen back in 2005, you have no point to make.

At least people realize that MAC schools are FBS schools while a lot have no idea that the bulk of CUSA is actually on the FBS level
that is a crock of a statement.Who have you been talking to? More people know who Rice is than Eastern Michigan.I could go on. Both conferences are full of directional s etc. Both are about the same in terms of talens and so forth.

that was my point. very well stated

How was that well stated? He stated nothing. No examples. Nothing. His job is to hire good coaches which he has. Make changes when needed which he has. Build facilities when needed which he has. Raising money which he has. Put together incredible schedules which he has

He even got our b-ball team into the NCAA tournament for the first time since like a decade before the internet even existed.

What exactly is the problem? Is it because he has stuck behind one of our winningest football coaches ever?

Is it because he hurt your feelings at some point

Is it because he made you and others switch your seats by a row or two?

Is it because chuck landon said he offended some former players because ...gasp.. he took away the free beer at game time and wanted them to go in and watch the football team play?

Seriously. What is it? Because that was a pretty lame remark to make by herdmeister and then you agreed with it?

Not trying or be rude. Just genuinely curious.

Last edited:
the truly delusional crew wants MU to win every game, every year, but considers that to be no accomplishment.

Winning more than one conference title per decade in what is always the last or 2nd to last ranked conference in all of I-A is the same thing as "winning every game."

Yup, that pretty much sums things up...if you are in your own little world when it comes to communicating with adults, that is.

Show us proof where anyone said the expectation is "winning every game." Until then, you will continue to be known, among many things, as the board liar.

Reactions: caliherd
that is a crock of a statement.Who have you been talking to? More people know who Rice is than Eastern Michigan.I could go on. Both conferences are full of directional s etc. Both are about the same in terms of talens and so forth.

I would disagree with that simply because nearly all of the MAC schools have been "FBS" schools for at least 75 years. College football fans know them from decades of "Mac-tion" on ESPN. They have been playing Big Ten teams for decades, which gives name exposure.

We have what, one team in CUSA east that has 20 years at the FBS level, which is Marshall. We have zero holdovers from CUSA 2.0 on our side of the bracket.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would disagree with that simply because nearly all of the MAC schools have been "FBS" schools for at least 75 years. College football fans know them from decades of "Mac-tion" on ESPN. They have been playing Big Ten teams for decades, which gives name exposure.

We have what, one team in CUSA east that has 20 years at the FBS level, which is Marshall. We have zero holdovers from CUSA 2.0 on our side of the bracket.
There are way more ways for a school to be known than how long they have been playing FBS football.

Because Doc's winning percentage should be about 15 to 20% higher and he should win more titles. Just being honest. That is what I expect of Marshall Football. His winning percentage should be around 75% and Marshall should win the conference ever 3 years or so. My expectations of MU football are high. The conference is basically a dud. We should win it more times than not. Went golfing yesterday and I had to hear about my buddies App St Mountaineers being ranked 21 in the country. I want bragging rights.

iahm - I’ll make this easy, cuz you’re a mod and I wouldn’t want to be on the naughty list:

List 5 G5 HC who have been at or above .750 for their career?

hell, list 3 P5 HC who are currently doing it (career)?
I’ll wait.......

iahm - I’ll make this easy, cuz you’re a mod and I wouldn’t want to be on the naughty list:

List 5 G5 HC who have been at or above .750 for their career?

hell, list 3 P5 HC who are currently doing it (career)?
I’ll wait.......

Without research I’ll say Dabo, Urban, and maybe Nick.
Well I guess Urban is “retired” for the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT