ADVERTISEMENT

Huff isn’t resigning after all, but this thread delivers!

I'll tell you what, if they wait to fire him or he leaves after the bowl, the admin has absolutely fvcked the pooch on this entire situation.
Chalk it up with all the other dumbass, Bush League decision making over the past two decades.

The leadership has been a fvcking clown show.

Only reasonable explanation would be Spears has his next pick already lined up from one of his previous stops and feels confident that waiting to dismiss Huff will be of no consequence.

Is there a stand-off, maybe — Huff waiting/hoping for the administration to fire him while administration waiting/hoping for him to resign?

Let me make this abundantly clear. BS and CS are rockstars. CS will go with BS whenever and wherever he goes. They are a tandem. As for CH, he has no hesitation firing any coach who does not meet his expectations (see e.g. Women’s Soccer). My guess is CH coach’s the lame bowl game then resigns. As for DD, he will resign with dignity at the end of the season. He is basketball royalty. And CS and BS understand and appreciate that fact.

Let me make this abundantly clear. BS and CS are rockstars. CS will go with BS whenever and wherever he goes. They are a tandem. My guess is CH coach’s the lame bowl game then resigns. As for DD, he will resign with dignity at the end of the season. He is basketball royalty. And CS and BS understand and appreciate that fact.
Jesus man, spell people's last names or something.

"As for CH, he has no hesitation firing any coach who does not meet his expectations ..."

Did you mean Spears? Or in your cryptic speak, CS?

Last edited:
That has to be what he meant - CS: sluggo72’s hero
real story in case anyone is interested, as to why the Beni Kedem Shriners are no longer ushering the Marshall football and basketball games. The
athletic director told the powers at be, at Beni Kedem, "Thanks for 50 years of service greeting our alumni, faculty and fans, but we've hired 50 new people and we just don't need your services any more. We know all the money we pay you, is donated to the Lexington and Dayton Children's hospitals, so we're sorry. Maybe we can help with another fundraiser?" Unfortunately, every request that was made to the athletic director was a no. They said, "Oh, not that parking lot. Oh, sorry. Not that day. Maybe next time." Well, I am proud to be a graduate of Marshall University, and "We are Marshall", but I am not proud of the athletic choices being made, whether it's in regard to firing the services of Beni Kedem or cancelling the opportunity for the entire band to go to the Bowl Game. The lives that just

Interesting story sluggo. What time frame was this? I don’t recall ever seeing anyone with a Shriners hat being at either football or basketball games…

Let me make this abundantly clear. BS and CS are rockstars.
BS, is a non-traditional choice for a university president. He has a lot of great ideas, but remember the enemy is always out there. And there are 2 100% anti-Marshall candidates running for governor. Either would 100% frustrate any plans BS has.

CS is, well, some guy who has been on the back office side of athletic administration, making sure the buses have fuel, the uniforms get washed, the bills get paid, that sort of thing. Useful, but not exciting. He is in his first run at the big chair, and so far has shown little to deserve "rockstar" status. (And, please don't mention baseball, that was, as explained in other threads, 100% Big Jim. Thanks Big Jim.)
CS will go with BS whenever and wherever he goes.
Yeah, OK. BS is not going to move to be the president of some bigger college. Either he is going to succeed in his innovative plans to transform MU, or he is going to go back to just being some rich guy. Maybe, with a capital M, he gets into WV politics, but I doubt it. Wherever BS is next, it is pretty certain it won't have an athletic department.
As for CH, he has no hesitation firing any coach who does not meet his expectations (see e.g. Women’s Soccer).
DD? CH? Both had failed seasons. Neither fired. CH goes further and goes on this disgusting and unfair rant. Still not fired. CH gets a press release that says what he did this year was "unacceptable', and then it is accepted.

Yeah, but boy, he sure showed that women's soccer coach.
My guess is CH coach’s the lame bowl game then resigns.
He should be fired. Today.

But allowing him to say the disgusting things he said, without a response, is lack of leadership.
As for DD, he will resign with dignity at the end of the season. He is basketball royalty. And CS and BS understand and appreciate that fact.
Basketball royalty?

He is some guy from Mullens, WV, who, smartly, parlayed his basketball skills into a free education from Marshall, and then, smartly, GTFO of WV and spent a lifetime as a teacher and HS basketball coach in South Carolina. Smart. Then, in his retirement, he carried a clipboard for his brother, who, likewise parlayed his skills into a similar free education and then his eligibility for Italian citizenship into a career playing and then coaching in Europe and then, nearing his own retirement, became a journeyman NBA coach, not that coaches matter a whit in the NBA anyway.

Royalty?

Really?

Keeping DD was the price any prospective AD was told was necessary to get the job. CS agreed. We will never know how many other candidates turned that deal down. DD will be here until he wants to quit or can physically not do it any more, and will name his own replacement.

Interesting story sluggo. What time frame was this? I don’t recall ever seeing anyone with a Shriners hat being at either football or basketball games…
I do. Up to a couple years ago. I saw Shriners at games. Not a lot, but a few.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Let me make this abundantly clear. BS and CS are rockstars. CS will go with BS whenever and wherever he goes. They are a tandem. As for CH, he has no hesitation firing any coach who does not meet his expectations (see e.g. Women’s Soccer). My guess is CH coach’s the lame bowl game then resigns. As for DD, he will resign with dignity at the end of the season. He is basketball royalty. And CS and BS understand and appreciate that fact.
Is this Navajo code talker stuff?

• Haha
Reactions: herdfan06
I'll tell you what, if they wait to fire him or he leaves after the bowl, the admin has absolutely fvcked the pooch on this entire situation.
Not necessarily. National signing day is coming up, so it allows us to sign this class(which can leave by choice if Huff leaves). It gives us some sort of continuity through the bowl game. Let’s say we do bring on a Rich Rod or an FCS coach, it gives them the opportunity to coach their bowl or playoff game.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Not necessarily. National signing day is coming up, so it allows us to sign this class(which can leave by choice if Huff leaves). It gives us some sort of continuity through the bowl game. Let’s say we do bring on a Rich Rod or an FCS coach, it gives them the opportunity to coach their bowl or playoff game.
Rich rod would be monumental, I also like North Dakota State head coach, Defensive guy and running one of the nations best FCS teams for the last 4-5 years

Go ahead and hire Huggins as the new Basketball Head… why not

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green

I hadn't noticed the guys in the Shriner hats were no longer at the games but now that it is mentioned... Interesting indeed.

Those guys wore green blazers and Shriner hats. They acted as ushers at the football and basketball games. At the football games they would also manage the lines for the elevators to the boxes. Usually the same guys at the same locations for every game. I always spoke to them and they always spoke back.

I'll be on the lookout at the next home basketball game. I know where they usually stood.

BS, is a non-traditional choice for a university president. He has a lot of great ideas, but remember the enemy is always out there. And there are 2 100% anti-Marshall candidates running for governor. Either would 100% frustrate any plans BS has.

CS is, well, some guy who has been on the back office side of athletic administration, making sure the buses have fuel, the uniforms get washed, the bills get paid, that sort of thing. Useful, but not exciting. He is in his first run at the big chair, and so far has shown little to deserve "rockstar" status. (And, please don't mention baseball, that was, as explained in other threads, 100% Big Jim. Thanks Big Jim.)

Yeah, OK. BS is not going to move to be the president of some bigger college. Either he is going to succeed in his innovative plans to transform MU, or he is going to go back to just being some rich guy. Maybe, with a capital M, he gets into WV politics, but I doubt it. Wherever BS is next, it is pretty certain it won't have an athletic department.

DD? CH? Both had failed seasons. Neither fired. CH goes further and goes on this disgusting and unfair rant. Still not fired. CH gets a press release that says what he did this year was "unacceptable', and then it is accepted.

Yeah, but boy, he sure showed that women's soccer coach.

He should be fired. Today.

But allowing him to say the disgusting things he said, without a response, is lack of leadership.

Basketball royalty?

He is some guy from Mullens, WV, who, smartly, parlayed his basketball skills into a free education from Marshall, and then, smartly, GTFO of WV and spent a lifetime as a teacher and HS basketball coach in South Carolina. Smart. Then, in his retirement, he carried a clipboard for his brother, who, likewise parlayed his skills into a similar free education and then his eligibility for Italian citizenship into a career playing and then coaching in Europe and then, nearing his own retirement, became a journeyman NBA coach, not that coaches matter a whit in the NBA anyway.

Royalty?

Really?

Keeping DD was the price any prospective AD was told was necessary to get the job. CS agreed. We will never know how many other candidates turned that deal down. DD will be here until he wants to quit or can physically not do it any more, and will name his own replacement.
24 wins is a failed season?

• Sad
We missed the boat on Rich Rod.

Jacksonville state took the risk , we wouldn’t give him an interview. (Full transparency, I supported that stance)

He shows he can be successful and stay out of negative headlines for a couple years and he’ll be back at a P5 school.

He doesn’t need Marshall to do that.

real story in case anyone is interested, as to why the Beni Kedem Shriners are no longer ushering the Marshall football and basketball games. The
athletic director told the powers at be, at Beni Kedem, "Thanks for 50 years of service greeting our alumni, faculty and fans, but we've hired 50 new people and we just don't need your services any more. We know all the money we pay you, is donated to the Lexington and Dayton Children's hospitals, so we're sorry. Maybe we can help with another fundraiser?" Unfortunately, every request that was made to the athletic director was a no. They said, "Oh, not that parking lot. Oh, sorry. Not that day. Maybe next time." Well, I am proud to be a graduate of Marshall University, and "We are Marshall", but I am not proud of the athletic choices being made, whether it's in regard to firing the services of Beni Kedem or cancelling the opportunity for the entire band to go to the Bowl Game. The lives that just
Who cares. I don't think anyone could have told you they were involved in the first place.

Rockstars are they? Dan will resign with dignity will he? Everything in your post is hero worship garbage.

So Smith and Spears are such rockstars that they allowed an aging basketball coach to dictate his terms, get extended twice, and now he's going to resign after 1 year into his 3 year extension.

So when they could have parted ways with Dan with no financial obligations, they didn't, and after Dan gets a new deal with a buyout he's going to resign after that first year.

In the scenario you pained the the AD and President got played for chumps and Dan has so much dignity and love for the school he did all this to just fleece more money. That is if we're going by what you just said in your post.

Last edited:
Rockstars are they? Dan will resign with dignity will he? Everything in your post is hero worship garbage.

So Smith and Spears are such rockstars that they allowed an aging basketball coach to dictate his terms, get extended twice, and now he's going to resign after 1 year into his 3 year extension.

So when they could have parted ways with Dan with no financial obligations, they didn't, and after Dan gets a new deal with a buyout he's going to resign after that first year.

In the scenario you pained the the AD and President got played for chumps and Dan has so much dignity and love for the school he did all this to just fleece more money. That is if we're going by what you just said in your post.

The timeline of everything is hazy for me, when was Spears signed onto being the AD of MU?
What year was Dan's contract going to?

The timeline of everything is hazy for me, when was Spears signed onto being the AD of MU?
What year was Dan's contract going to?
His final season. Then we gave him a 1yr deal and then at the end of last season we gave him a 3yr extension.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Keith Morehouse @KeithMorehouse

Coach Huff opens news conference with statement:

"I want to apologize for my remarks being misinterpreted...I inserted opinions over facts which ultimately created a sandstorm../ was speaking more out of frustration over a small minority of fans"

What part of “the fans hated him.” is open to being misinterpreted?

• Sad

"I want to apologize for my remarks being misinterpreted...I inserted opinions over facts which ultimately created a sandstorm../ was speaking more out of frustration over a small minority of fans"

Not good enough. If that's all he was going to say he could have done that a week ago

Bull$hit!

There are lots of reasons to your answers, but I think the more important question is why you deny the things that have been mentioned in this thread. Marshall's assistant coaching salary is very low. Public schools, overall (doesn't mean every single one), are substandard in the state. Huntington has a high crime rate. Huntington and the state are near the bottom of the national rankings in just about all of the things that most people find important. That's not a knock- it's reality of why recruiting assistant coaches (especially those with families) isn't as ideal as say Boca Raton.

Have you not been following along? If their name is on the portal tracker then they're not playing.

I think Huff missed the point once again, he apologized for the fans misinterpreting his remarks, wow. He should get a "messaging" coach for himself, what he meant, or should have meant, is that he apologizes for his remarks which created a windstorm in the community, and restated what he actually meant. He, once again, blames the fans for misinterpreting what he said; well they didn't. He said the WRONG thing, if he didn't mean it. Oh well, maybe his intentions were good with the apology; but I'm betting they were a negotiated effort...not necessarily spurred on by his own decision or choice.

So then what he said was in fact false. Fancher never said it like he stated that he did. He stated his opinion as Facnher's words.

The one, the ONLY superlative that can be attached to a B.S. artist? The ability to communicate.
So, now the greatest b.s’r in the history of Marshall athletics is admitting to fouling up a text? God almighty. And still backhandedly blaming us fans for misinterpreting what he typed!

I'm listening to the press conference now, he said a lot more than the quote and tried, perhaps at his best, to apologize and put it behind us all. While struggling to make his point, I think he sees the error and will be more careful next time. So I'm moving on now; thanks CH for trying....

Reactions: Jbabbington
I'm listening to the press conference now, he said a lot more than the quote and tried, perhaps at his best, to apologize and put it behind us all. While struggling to make his point, I think he sees the error and will be more careful next time. So I'm moving on now; thanks CH for trying....
Agreed. I just finished it as well. He self-labeled his comments as “idiotic.” Go get ‘em Herd!

Reactions: whf2
then why wait a week to come out and say that. And seriously it's not hard to say. I made a dumb comment.. I'm sorry

WS-HerdFan looking directly at his "source"

Meme Reaction GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT