ADVERTISEMENT

Huff isn’t resigning after all, but this thread delivers!

Not good enough. If that's all he was going to say he could have done that a week ago
In some fairness to Huff:
He flew out to Vegas to attend a coaches meeting/conference/banquet. He was not in Huntington while the whirlwinds were blowing (he called it a sandstorm). Also, he insists that if a player wants to go to the portal, he has to come into his office and tell him face to face. Not why, but just that he has decided to. Huff then can say: “Is there anything that I can do that will allow you to stay”. In Cam’s case (of course!) it was done over the phone, since Huff wasn’t in Huntington.

In some fairness to Huff:
He flew out to Vegas to attend a coaches meeting/conference/banquet. He was not in Huntington while the whirlwinds were blowing (he called it a sandstorm). Also, he insists that if a player wants to go to the portal, he has to come into his office and tell him face to face. Not why, but just that he has decided to. Huff then can say: “Is there anything that I can do that will allow you to stay”. In Cam’s case (of course!) it was done over the phone, since Huff wasn’t in Huntington.
Hmm if only there was some way to communicate. I don't know maybe something where you can type out something and send it electronically to others, like the mail, or a video statement.

Hmm if only there was some way to communicate. I don't know maybe something where you can type out something and send it electronically to others, like the mail, or a video statement.

And I am sure if he did that, you and others would not say anything at all about him being lame with an email or “I wonder who typed that for him, “ etc

Can’t win for losing. Nothing he or anyone associated with Marshall ever does enough for most of you guys

I mean i'm glad he apologized. But it still seemed like he was blaming fans. He just doesn't seem to have a lot of humility. He talked in his statement about loving the kids and wanting to protect them, but when Cam was struggling he never said "hey, we as coaches have to be better. its on us, not on him." And when Pennington struggled in his first game he was quick to throw him under the bus by saying he was making mistakes too.

Its been said already, but Marshall really needs a PR team. Those comments went national and our coach couldn't make a statement because of distance? Come on. Can you imagine any major program having their head coach make statements like that, and then the excuse for almost a week of silence being "he was out of town..." We are bush league in so many things we do and its little things we could change.

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the next year with a coach who doesn't like our fans or my alma mater.

I swear, I hate that you all are making me agree with Perkins in anything. But some of you guys are as bad as my wife, let it go bro. We all say and do stupid crap, at this point you are gonna do more harm than good.

Reactions: Herd1972 and rvntx
I swear, I hate that you all are making me agree with Perkins in anything. But some of you guys are as bad as my wife, let it go bro. We all say and do stupid crap, at this point you are gonna do more harm than good.

It’s ok man! It feels good to be on the right side doesn’t it? Go ahead, come on over full time!

Reactions: MUMAN3419

My bad... super excited guys! Go Herd! Take my money, even though we suck at the most basic aspects of running an athletic program! If you have my money surely you will figure it out! Go Herd! Love it here. I am excited for what CH brings to the table.

Happy Happy Happy

It's not just saying something stupid. This just shows you how he sees thing and it's not his first off comment about the fans or the town. Under his leadership this program has fallen off and he has never wanted to be here.

Most of us are just ready to move on from him.

His apology was crap and shows he lied. He's not sorry that he said it. He's sorry that he caught so much crap for it and he's just attempting to damage control. Saying something dumb is one thing. Inserting your own opinion as a statement of your QB as the reasons he left the team to the media is another.

I mean i'm glad he apologized. But it still seemed like he was blaming fans. He just doesn't seem to have a lot of humility. He talked in his statement about loving the kids and wanting to protect them, but when Cam was struggling he never said "hey, we as coaches have to be better. its on us, not on him." And when Pennington struggled in his first game he was quick to throw him under the bus by saying he was making mistakes too.

Its been said already, but Marshall really needs a PR team. Those comments went national and our coach couldn't make a statement because of distance? Come on. Can you imagine any major program having their head coach make statements like that, and then the excuse for almost a week of silence being "he was out of town..." We are bush league in so many things we do and its little things we could change.

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the next year with a coach who doesn't like our fans or my alma mater.

Get used to it...because it's going to happen more and more.

Absolutely nobody has loyalty and the Almighty buck controls everyone and everything.

Does a new HC want to win? Sure! Build the resume and overall image of their program.
Is it a requirement?
Well, considering Huff was already reaching out to other programs and turned down the Duke offer in, what, less than a season?

As I have said, the next HC doesn't have to win championships to get hired away, and because of that, your standards will not be met.
However, their standards will be...and that's all that matters to them.

Y'all wanted this and are seeing just how bad it can get.

In the age of NIL, I'm really starting to believe a small school having a coach for more than 4 years might be a bad sign. I'm a Pruett guy but even he almost left for Houston.

Get used to it...because it's going to happen more and more.

Absolutely nobody has loyalty and the Almighty buck controls everyone and everything.

Does a new HC want to win? Sure! Build the resume and overall image of their program.
Is it a requirement?
Well, considering Huff was already reaching out to other programs and turned down the Duke offer in, what, less than a season?

As I have said, the next HC doesn't have to win championships to get hired away, and because of that, your standards will not be met.
However, their standards will be...and that's all that matters to them.

Y'all wanted this and are seeing just how bad it can get.

See this is the attitude that gets us what we currently have at Marshall. "eh, get used to it... just the way things are in college sports these days. blah blah blah". That's bull. His comments, and his apology were crap. You don't see other coaches in the country making those comments. JMU's coach never made them. He left for a bigger job.

"You guys wanted this"... yeah, we wanted a successful coach who would build the program and then move on after building something. We didn't want someone who was going to try and "flip" the program and not actually build anything of value before moving on. Those are two very different philosophies.

Our athletic program is broken and the longer it is broken the more I begin to think that our BoG is actually a larger part of the problem.

Also side note, he didn't turn the Duke offer down (from what I was told), he didn't get the job. They didn't want him.

"You guys wanted this"... yeah, we wanted a successful coach who would build the program and then move on after building something. We didn't want someone who was going to try and "flip" the program and not actually build anything of value before moving on. Those are two very different philosophies.
Yeah, he totally lost me at that part. Doesn't even make sense. Nobody asked for a self-serving, arrogant blowhard prick who doesn't appear to appreciate or value the opportunity he was given. The man was trying to leave from the moment he got here.

I have yet to see anyone deny that we fully expected his time here to be short and were fine with that as long as he actually accomplished something of notoriety before bolting.

• Love
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
See this is the attitude that gets us what we currently have at Marshall. "eh, get used to it... just the way things are in college sports these days. blah blah blah". That's bull. His comments, and his apology were crap. You don't see other coaches in the country making those comments. JMU's coach never made them. He left for a bigger job.

Well, it's people like you who complain about how MU is so imperfect all the time. Didn't you complain about the field goal posts not being painted a brighter color, then go on some tirade about how bad everything looks while saying, "well, this is what we're stuck with"??
Way to betray yourself.

Huff could have had his own Gundy "come after me, I'm a man, I'm 40" speech in regards to the real criticism of his players, directing the focus into himself...but he didn't.

Did you just compare Huff to Cignetti? Are you that much of a dullard?
Why in the blue hell would Cignetti EVER make a comment like that? JMU was a top 25 team and made national news and hosted Gameday.

He had absolutely no reason to complain about anyone.

Good lord, your ineptitude of logic in that statement alone should be grounds for dismissal from this board or any rational discussion...but for the sake of all this, I'll continue.

You guys were fine in accepting MU as being "a stepping stone" for any new HC who wants to elevate themselves in the world, while somehow dismissing the notion that MU is going to somehow be routinely competitive with such a House of Cards mentality.
The two can't exist in the same realm, and if they do, it's literally for one season, and nobody can predict how consistent that will be.
"Move on after building something" let me finish that statement for you, "building something for themselves."

Being a stepping stone, literally means being stepped on by someone so THEY can move forward, where does the stone go? It stays in the same spot.

Once more, with your past posts of complaining, as does everyone, get used to it.

Also side note, he didn't turn the Duke offer down (from what I was told), he didn't get the job. They didn't want him.

Regardless of what happened with Duke, he was still actively trying to leave MU. He didn't stop there either.

Yeah, he totally lost me at that part. Doesn't even make sense. Nobody asked for a self-serving, arrogant blowhard prick who doesn't appear to appreciate or value the opportunity he was given. The man was trying to leave from the moment he got here.

I have yet to see anyone deny that we fully expected his time here to be short and were fine with that as long as he actually accomplished something of notoriety before bolting.

As I have said a million times before...

Any new HC is going to tout WANTING to make MU a champion.
That doesn't mean they actually NEED to for themselves.
They just need to show they can run a team and maybe win more games than they lose.
Do that for 2 years and you're gone to the P5.
While MU fans sit there, scratching their heads wondering, "We were promised championships?"

I think what's more insulting is Huff treating, of all programs, MU this way. MU being one of the original G5 programs that burst into the scene and showed they could compete too...as well as being a good blueprint on how to really skyrocket yourself as a program.
If MU were any other random G5 program with no history, I'd get it. But this isn't the case.

All that history, ignored by someone who cares only about themselves, money, and not the program or the fans.
He likely won't be the last.

Get used to it.

Until our AD takes the attitude of - "We work for the fan base"; as opposed to " give money, shut up and don't ask questions", we'll continue to see shrinking numbers in attendance and donors/BG members. jmho

Until our AD takes the attitude of - "We work for the fan base"; as opposed to " give money, shut up and don't ask questions", we'll continue to see shrinking numbers in attendance and donors/BG members. jmho

To be fair, they checked all the boxes when they first hired Huff:
Past stop, he coached at Penn State and currently at Alabama.
Known for recruiting, one of the best in the NCAA.
Young and energetic (crazy to think he's like only 40 years old).

Without anything you knew about him now, that's basically what everyone wanted.

It was a very fanbase oriented approach since they could have just hired within.

As for the rest of your comment?
If MU were in a real state with an actual economy, then yeah, that would be the mantra. It's also the mantra of all the major colleges/universities. They can afford to lose donors because more will graduate and donate.
Whether that's ethical or not is a different story
Also, sweet TV money is included, and all it takes is one good season to bring those people back, since we're all slaves to seeing competitive sports.

Once more, you're asking a head coach to put the program ahead of themselves, when the entire landscape of college football has changed to where it's individually driven.
Given MU's position, regardless of its fanbase/donors, it will be a struggle.

Well, it's people like you who complain about how MU is so imperfect all the time. Didn't you complain about the field goal posts not being painted a brighter color, then go on some tirade about how bad everything looks while saying, "well, this is what we're stuck with"??
Way to betray yourself.

Yep... sure did. And I would do it again. There is no reason our facilities should look bad because we can't do the simple things. Our athletic department honestly can't do the basic things. Also side note on your revisionist history here, it wasn't that the goal posts weren't a brighter color... it's that the goal posts had never been painted from the time we got them. So they faded and looked awful.
Huff could have had his own Gundy "come after me, I'm a man, I'm 40" speech in regards to the real criticism of his players, directing the focus into himself...but he didn't.

Huff could have not thrown the program under the bus by blaming fans and the lack of money.... but he didn't. He seems pretty interested in one thing and that's himself.
Did you just compare Huff to Cignetti? Are you that much of a dullard?
Why in the blue hell would Cignetti EVER make a comment like that? JMU was a top 25 team and made national news and hosted Gameday.

He had absolutely no reason to complain about anyone.

Good lord, your ineptitude of logic in that statement alone should be grounds for dismissal from this board or any rational discussion...but for the sake of all this, I'll continue.
Well a few things here:
1. I brought up Cignetti because you claimed that part of the reason Huff ripped everyone was "thats just how things are now for G5 programs"... we'll come back to Cignetti in a minute.

2. Your statement was that no one has loyalty and the almighty buck controls everything. JMU doesn't have resources that far outweigh Marshalls. Do they have some advantages? Sure. But they are well run, we are not. My point in bringing up JMU was that they face many of the same challenges we do (including their coach leaving) and instead of saying "get used to it" they are becoming the standard for G5.
You guys were fine in accepting MU as being "a stepping stone" for any new HC who wants to elevate themselves in the world, while somehow dismissing the notion that MU is going to somehow be routinely competitive with such a House of Cards mentality.
The two can't exist in the same realm, and if they do, it's literally for one season, and nobody can predict how consistent that will be.
"Move on after building something" let me finish that statement for you, "building something for themselves."

Being a stepping stone, literally means being stepped on by someone so THEY can move forward, where does the stone go? It stays in the same spot.

Ok, lets get into this ridiculous diatribe. Yep, we were ok with Marshall being a stop on the way for someone as they want to elevate themselves. Let's think about that for a second. Do you want someone who wants to be a G5 coach for the rest of his life? Someone who is ok with the status quo? So you of course, want to defend your mediocrity loving philosophy by saying "the alternative is to have a coach that only builds for himself!"

Having a coach with ambition is not a bad thing. Look at Luke Fickell among others, it is a regular occurrence for a G5 coach to build a successful program and then jump to a P5 job when it opens up. The difference is a difference in philosophy. You can either have a coach that builds something, makes you a consistent winner over several years and proves himself. Then jumps to the next opportunity. Or you can have a coach that tries to leave the very second he gets a job offer from anywhere else. It's like people that flip houses. Some people come in and literally remodel the entire house and make changes to make the house worth substantially more money. Others come in and paint it a different color and stage the house and try and sell it immediately. One, makes lasting changes and add more value, the other is out for a quick buck.

If we are going to be a stepping stone, that is great. But we need to be a stepping stone where the coach is building something and is not trying to leave the second he gets here.

And once again, what is the alternative? a coach ready for the retirement home who wants to hang around the rest of his career with zero ambition?
Once more, with your past posts of complaining, as does everyone, get used to it.
Got it. So just be happy that we are mediocre and don't do the basic things right?

Here's where we get back to JMU and Cignetti. They did the little things right, they have began building something and it shows. We haven't. We are getting left behind because "eh, what're you gonna do! the almighty buck controls everything and we are poor."

As I have said a million times before...

Any new HC is going to tout WANTING to make MU a champion.
That doesn't mean they actually NEED to for themselves.
They just need to show they can run a team and maybe win more games than they lose.
Do that for 2 years and you're gone to the P5.
While MU fans sit there, scratching their heads wondering, "We were promised championships?"

I think what's more insulting is Huff treating, of all programs, MU this way. MU being one of the original G5 programs that burst into the scene and showed they could compete too...as well as being a good blueprint on how to really skyrocket yourself as a program.
If MU were any other random G5 program with no history, I'd get it. But this isn't the case.

All that history, ignored by someone who cares only about themselves, money, and not the program or the fans.
He likely won't be the last.

Get used to it.

Yep that history is great and we could be a marquee program again. But we can't do the basic things right. And when it is brought up, certain people shout us down and tell us we're being ridiculous for expecting our program to have standards. They tell us we just need to get used to it because this is the way things are. But yeah... history.

The difference is a difference in philosophy. You can either have a coach that builds something, makes you a consistent winner over several years and proves himself. Then jumps to the next opportunity. Or you can have a coach that tries to leave the very second he gets a job offer from anywhere else.

Out of everything you said, I have tried to find the least contradictory to what you continue to say.

It has been stated that you are fine with a coach coming here briefly, then leaving...yet continue to say,
coach that builds something, makes you a consistent winner over several years and proves himself. Then jumps to the next opportunity.

What is several years? 2-3? That's the longevity of a G5 coach it seems.

Concerning your analogy, yeah, house flippers are about the quick buck. Nothing wrong with that, just know that's what you're getting.
You were sold a flipped house but expected to have the flipper call in and check on the house, ask about how you are, and actually care.
Flipper doesn't even remember who you are.

Same with coaches.

Here's where we get back to JMU and Cignetti. They did the little things right, they have began building something and it shows. We haven't. We are getting left behind because "eh, what're you gonna do! the almighty buck controls everything and we are poor."
Oh god, you're one of those simple minded people...
Easily impressed by a team having a good season or two and think they're the gold standard for everything.
Remember when ECU was supposedly the gold standard for the G5 back in the CUSA days? They had like 2 good seasons and now are dirt poor and suck worse than we do?
Give them another 3-5 years and we'll talk.

Pont is, nobody in the G5 has managed to remain consistent with hiring head coaches to their level of demand, except maybe Boise and Cincy, with the latter now in the P4...we'll see how it goes.

Yep that history is great and we could be a marquee program again. But we can't do the basic things right. And when it is brought up, certain people shout us down and tell us we're being ridiculous for expecting our program to have standards. They tell us we just need to get used to it because this is the way things are. But yeah... history.

Basic things require money. Basic things require people to cooperate. Basic things require people, like you, to stop complaining about every little thing you see.
Those are things MU doesn't have nor can afford.

Id suggest you buy the field goal paint for MU and donate it, but you'd complain that it's not your job.
Then complain when MU does something else.

MU doesn't have the money to fire coaches left and right and try to make things go well.
For one, the BG leadership is terrible, as it has been pointed out here.
But also, fans think by not donating, MU is somehow going to be able to afford to correct the mistakes they have made.

How many times has someone said, "Well, that's MU, that's Huntington, that's WV...woe is me, we'll never be like Alabama..."

When you are easily fooled and impressed by JMU on TV like a simpleton, but actually see and deal with MU's situation in WV, you put MU in an identity crisis:

Appealing enough for a coach to treat us more like a complete remodel and less like a house flip...
But also with the basic things not met, complaining about FG posts, and little things not done, with a budget a quarter of what one has to work with.

Last edited:
Out of everything you said, I have tried to find the least contradictory to what you continue to say.

It has been stated that you are fine with a coach coming here briefly, then leaving...yet continue to say,

Concerning your analogy, yeah, house flippers are about the quick buck. Nothing wrong with that, just know that's what you're getting.
You were sold a flipped house but expected to have the flipper call in and check on the house, ask about how you are, and actually care.

Same with coaches.

Easily impressed by a team having a good season or two and think they're the gold standard for everything.
Remember when ECU was supposedly the gold standard for the G5 back in the CUSA days? They had like 2 good seasons and now are dirt poor and suck worse than we do?

Pont is, nobody in the G5 has managed to remain consistent with hiring head coaches to their level of demand, except maybe Boise and Cincy, with the latter now in the P4...we'll see how it goes.

Basic things require money. Basic things require people to cooperate. Basic things require people, like you, to stop complaining about every little thing you see.

Id suggest you buy the field goal paint for MU and donate it, but you'd complain that it's not your job.

MU doesn't have the money to fire coaches left and right and try to make things go well.
But also, fans think by not donating, MU is somehow going to be able to afford to correct the mistakes they have made.

How many times has someone said, "Well, that's MU, that's Huntington, that's WV...woe is me, we'll never be like Alabama..."

When you are easily fooled and impressed by JMU on TV like a simpleton, but actually see and deal with MU's situation in WV, you put MU in an identity crisis:

Appealing enough for a coach to treat us more like a complete remodel and less like a house flip...
But also with the basic things not met, complaining about FG posts, and little things not done, with a budget a quarter of what one has to work with.

1. I'm contradictory? you keep saying that people should just be happy and get used to it, while also saying "How many times has someone said, 'Well, that's MU, that's Huntington, that's WV...woe is me, we'll never be like Alabama..."

2. The little things: I'm sorry I offended you years ago with my take on the field goal posts. It seems that really caused some trauma for you. The little things are often times not something that requires large budgets, the little things, the details, are more about planning and devotion to detail. Overall: competency. Take the situation with Huff for example. The report of his comments breaks last week, and it takes almost a week for the school to make any sort of statement. There is no statement from the AD, nothing from Huff, crickets... Then, a week later he gives a press conference and makes his "apology". That's something that should have been addressed well before that. We couldn't put out a statement because we didn't have the resources? Get out of here. It was stated on here that Huff was in Vegas for the coach meetings and that is why he couldn't make a statement, if that's the case it's even worse than I thought.

3. Answer this for me: who is the standard for G5 schools? Who should we be trying to beat when it comes to having a well run athletic program? And what is the answer for the football program? What kind of coach should we try to go get?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
1. I'm contradictory? you keep saying that people should just be happy and get used to it, while also saying "How many times has someone said, 'Well, that's MU, that's Huntington, that's WV...woe is me, we'll never be like Alabama..."

2. The little things: I'm sorry I offended you years ago with my take on the field goal posts. It seems that really caused some trauma for you. The little things are often times not something that requires large budgets, the little things, the details, are more about planning and devotion to detail. Overall: competency. Take the situation with Huff for example. The report of his comments breaks last week, and it takes almost a week for the school to make any sort of statement. There is no statement from the AD, nothing from Huff, crickets... Then, a week later he gives a press conference and makes his "apology". That's something that should have been addressed well before that. We couldn't put out a statement because we didn't have the resources? Get out of here. It was stated on here that Huff was in Vegas for the coach meetings and that is why he couldn't make a statement, if that's the case it's even worse than I thought.

3. Answer this for me: who is the standard for G5 schools? Who should we be trying to beat when it comes to having a well run athletic program? And what is the answer for the football program? What kind of coach should we try to go get?
I agree about the little things. SImple projects such as pressure washing the front of the Schewey, landscaping, cosmetic improvements, etc. Doesn't take a lot of money but makes a much better first impression.

As to number three. As much as I hate to say it, JMU seems to be at the top of the heap. Football, soccer, basketball, all ranked or were. Their AD did one hell of a job, I'd like to hire him as a consultant. They just made a very good hire to replace Cignetti AND likely got their next QB in the process.

Their fans are darn arrogant, but I guess they can be at this point. ugh!

Reactions: redsfan5590

Same with coaches.

How many times in the last 30 years has anybody who coached MU football used it as a rung on the ladder to jump to a P5 job? Exactly zero. I'll give you 1 more year and we can include Donnan.

JMU reminds me of a team that moved up when we rejoined the MAC.
That team is UCF. We stood still while they passed us like a rocket.
We have a habit of riding a bycycle while others zoom by in a Lambo.
We are still on that same bike with worn out tires.

JMU reminds me of a team that moved up when we rejoined the MAC.
That team is UCF. We stood still while they passed us like a rocket.
We have a habit of riding a bycycle while others zoom by in a Lambo.
We are still on that same bike with worn out tires.
Yeah but we just put a new baseball card in the spokes! You can’t beat that! Get used to it.

How many times in the last 30 years has anybody who coached MU football used it as a rung on the ladder to jump to a P5 job? Exactly zero. I'll give you 1 more year and we can include Donnan.
If excluding Donnan, minus MU's all time winningest head coach ever, Rick Minter, ALL of them are from West Virginia.
Hardly has MU ever really hired a true outsider minus Huff.

I agree about the little things. SImple projects such as pressure washing the front of the Schewey, landscaping, cosmetic improvements, etc. Doesn't take a lot of money but makes a much better first impression.

As to number three. As much as I hate to say it, JMU seems to be at the top of the heap. Football, soccer, basketball, all ranked or were. Their AD did one hell of a job, I'd like to hire him as a consultant. They just made a very good hire to replace Cignetti AND likely got their next QB in the process.

Their fans are darn arrogant, but I guess they can be at this point. ugh!

Didn't they say they cleaned up the front of the Shewey not too long ago? Had a few pics taken and everything.
You do realize MU does do plenty of landscaping, but because MU doesn't win, it is somehow inferior looking.

JMU fans have plenty to be happy about, but like all G5 programs, they'll come and go.
The best part is you can remind their arrogant fans, the most prominent years of their program didn't count at all.
They're a Great Value UCF.

1. I never said people should be happy. If I did, it was in error (and show me if I did).
I said people should take whatever wins MU can get, because no longer is MU guaranteed to win like they once did.
MU doesn't have the resources nor committed fanbase to compete with others in the present NCAA football landscape.

MU has been firmly put into a position that MU fans don't enjoy, admit all the time however, but dislike when someone else says it.
People who aren't part of MU or connected to WV, are gonna not want to be here for reasons constantly listed, by MU's own fans.

That's what they need to get used to.

2. Initially, I wasn't sure if it was you who complained about the goal posts...or the bleachers in the Cam as well. It's not traumatic, just really dumb stuff you have said is memorable.
The Huff situation has lots that nobody on this board knows about for sure.
Frankly, I THINK MU retaining him is punishment of not just firing him, as a response to his words which to me yelled, "I want to be fired." MU wasn't going to let him off easy.
Is the MU AD that petty? Probably. We've seen how petty and personal it has gotten in the past. MU certainly isn't the only program to be such a way...all programs are dirty liars...well, minus the service academies.
Also, no AD would ever admit that because they'd be a complete idiot to do so...but so much happens behind closed doors anyway.

3. There is no standard for the G5 anymore. Every year a program will pop up and strike gold with a coach who lasts, at most 3 years with the last 2 being notable. Then they usually slip back into relative obscurity. How's Hawaii been since the UGA BCS Bowl game? NIU? WMU? Boise is, well, not the Boise they once were. WKU's greatest two seasons, were then followed up with losses to FCS programs. How's FAU doing since Kiffin left? USM since Fedora? They haven't won 10 games since.
Nobody really has been consistent enough to declare themselves a true standard. At least to me. Those who have, aren't G5 anymore.

MU should focus on MU and the SBC. Be the team with the athletes who play best together. That doesn't mean you have to buy everyone.
MU needs to focus on the strengths of MU and the area. Yeah, it's limited, but get used to it. MU can only do so much with what WV gives it.
It doesn't help when everything is meticulously nitpicked by you. MU can't afford to look good when they win, but to just win at this point.
MU shouldn't really compare themselves to anyone directly. The AD and school president have to be creative with marketing. Ideas from other programs, sure, but good lord at least try to tailor it to MU better (I hated that ripoff Michigan banner MU used to do).

I don't want anyone from a prestigious P5 program. Not saying they aren't good, but they're spoiled, and aren't aware of how much of a downgrade MU (the G5) can be.
Wouldn't shock me if just the OC of Alabama had a bigger budget than MU's entire football program.
Such a situation can be more restrictive.
Give me an FCS head coach who has beaten some P5 programs and consistently makes the FCS playoffs. Maybe not all the time, but who can have a losing season one year, then turn it around the following year.
Put them into the HC of MU, they'll have what they're used to, and expand their skills.
Plus, they'll actually be creative with their coaching, they'll have to be, they'll know they can't buy their way into winning.

1. I never said people should be happy. If I did, it was in error (and show me if I did).
I said people should take whatever wins MU can get, because no longer is MU guaranteed to win like they once did.
MU doesn't have the resources nor committed fanbase to compete with others in the present NCAA football landscape.

MU has been firmly put into a position that MU fans don't enjoy, admit all the time however, but dislike when someone else says it.
People who aren't part of MU or connected to WV, are gonna not want to be here for reasons constantly listed, by MU's own fans.

That's what they need to get used to.

2. Initially, I wasn't sure if it was you who complained about the goal posts...or the bleachers in the Cam as well. It's not traumatic, just really dumb stuff you have said is memorable.
The Huff situation has lots that nobody on this board knows about for sure.
Frankly, I THINK MU retaining him is punishment of not just firing him, as a response to his words which to me yelled, "I want to be fired." MU wasn't going to let him off easy.
Is the MU AD that petty? Probably. We've seen how petty and personal it has gotten in the past. MU certainly isn't the only program to be such a way...all programs are dirty liars...well, minus the service academies.
Also, no AD would ever admit that because they'd be a complete idiot to do so...but so much happens behind closed doors anyway.

3. There is no standard for the G5 anymore. Every year a program will pop up and strike gold with a coach who lasts, at most 3 years with the last 2 being notable. Then they usually slip back into relative obscurity. How's Hawaii been since the UGA BCS Bowl game? NIU? WMU? Boise is, well, not the Boise they once were. WKU's greatest two seasons, were then followed up with losses to FCS programs. How's FAU doing since Kiffin left? USM since Fedora? They haven't won 10 games since.
Nobody really has been consistent enough to declare themselves a true standard. At least to me. Those who have, aren't G5 anymore.

MU should focus on MU and the SBC. Be the team with the athletes who play best together. That doesn't mean you have to buy everyone.
MU needs to focus on the strengths of MU and the area. Yeah, it's limited, but get used to it. MU can only do so much with what WV gives it.
It doesn't help when everything is meticulously nitpicked by you. MU can't afford to look good when they win, but to just win at this point.
MU shouldn't really compare themselves to anyone directly. The AD and school president have to be creative with marketing. Ideas from other programs, sure, but good lord at least try to tailor it to MU better (I hated that ripoff Michigan banner MU used to do).

I don't want anyone from a prestigious P5 program. Not saying they aren't good, but they're spoiled, and aren't aware of how much of a downgrade MU (the G5) can be.
Wouldn't shock me if just the OC of Alabama had a bigger budget than MU's entire football program.
Such a situation can be more restrictive.
Give me an FCS head coach who has beaten some P5 programs and consistently makes the FCS playoffs. Maybe not all the time, but who can have a losing season one year, then turn it around the following year.
Put them into the HC of MU, they'll have what they're used to, and expand their skills.
Plus, they'll actually be creative with their coaching, they'll have to be, they'll know they can't buy their way into winning.
So get a coach from FCS (I don’t disagree) but that’s no guarantee that they won’t bolt the first chance they get.

You and I just have a difference of philosophy. I think we should control the things we can control, and be the best version of the university we can be. That means being on top the little things, maybe look at the bathrooms in the stadium, expanding concourse, etc…. Yep goal posts should look faded and awful, there shouldn’t be puddles of dried blood on the bleachers in your basketball arena… that stuff isn’t cost prohibitive. There are a lot of things we could be better at, and are not.

You on the other hand want us to pat them on the back and tell them a good job. Like they’re your toddler that gave you some of their “art” and you smile and say “that’s great sweetie!”

Didn't they say they cleaned up the front of the Shewey not too long ago? Had a few pics taken and everything.
You do realize MU does do plenty of landscaping, but because MU doesn't win, it is somehow inferior looking.

JMU fans have plenty to be happy about, but like all G5 programs, they'll come and go.
The best part is you can remind their arrogant fans, the most prominent years of their program didn't count at all.
They're a Great Value UCF.
I drove by there the other day and it looked a little ragged. If they did pressure wash the front, they need their money back. LOL!

The non apology apology was as predictable as it was pathetic. As with the original rant it blames the fans for the one who has failed. Charles Huff. An ACTUAL apology expresses REGRET that the one apologizing now has for past actions. CH expresses no such feelings, mainly because he has no such feelings. Rather, he blames the fans, or some unnamed subset of us, as somehow "misunderstanding" his vile and repugnant comments.

We did no such thing.

Fire Charles Huff.

So get a coach from FCS (I don’t disagree) but that’s no guarantee that they won’t bolt the first chance they get.

You and I just have a difference of philosophy. I think we should control the things we can control, and be the best version of the university we can be. That means being on top the little things, maybe look at the bathrooms in the stadium, expanding concourse, etc…. Yep goal posts should look faded and awful, there shouldn’t be puddles of dried blood on the bleachers in your basketball arena… that stuff isn’t cost prohibitive. There are a lot of things we could be better at, and are not.

You on the other hand want us to pat them on the back and tell them a good job. Like they’re your toddler that gave you some of their “art” and you smile and say “that’s great sweetie!”

That last part, sort of encapsulates the middle part you said and focusing on what can be controlled/done, but I guess you don't see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT