ADVERTISEMENT

If we win the next two are we assured at least an NIT bid

Wouldn't they have to win the regular season conference title (and fail to get into the big dance) in order to receive the auto-bid to the NIT? Thought Southern Miss was still ahead of them by a game in the standings. They would need to drop one for the Herd to win the regular season title.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Wouldn't they have to win the regular season conference title (and fail to get into the big dance) in order to receive the auto-bid to the NIT? Thought Southern Miss was still ahead of them by a game in the standings. They would need to drop one for the Herd to win the regular season title.
Honestly I'm not sure how they sort out the NIT bids after the field of 64/68 is set for the NCAA tournament. I suspect a lot of politics in that decision, stinking WVU probably finish the season with 15 losses and they'll be a lock for the NIT.

I don't see us having a home game over WVU. Their net is in the 30's. They likely would be chosen as a bubble team for the big dance. Alternate universe and we're both in the NIT then.... they would have the home game, and we would be going to them, I'd say. Big 12 is the number 1 conference in bball overall. Helps their net tons . Its an exciting time to be a MBB fan in March! But , politely screw WVU.

• Haha
Reactions: GeauxHerd
I don't see us having a home game over WVU. Their net is in the 30's. They likely would be chosen as a bubble team for the big dance. Alternate universe and we're both in the NIT then.... they would have the home game, and we would be going to them, I'd say. Big 12 is the number 1 conference in bball overall. Helps their net tons . Its an exciting time to be a MBB fan in March! But , politely screw WVU.
No way to really dispute the BIg 12 perception of being the #1 conference but I watched WVU beat a woefully bad OSU Cowboy outfit Monday night. We would beat the Cowboys to death as well, half their shots didn't catch rim. Do they seed the NIT and the higher seed gets the home bid?

No way to really dispute the BIg 12 perception of being the #1 conference but I watched WVU beat a woefully bad OSU Cowboy outfit Monday night. We would beat the Cowboys to death as well, half their shots didn't catch rim. Do they seed the NIT and the higher seed gets the home bid?
I'm not 100% certain, but my ever fading memory seems to suggest the opening round games are played at the venue the NIT expects to bring in the most revenue, regardless of seed. I may be wrong though.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I'm not 100% certain, but my ever fading memory seems to suggest the opening round games are played at the venue the NIT expects to bring in the most revenue, regardless of seed. I may be wrong though.
I'm in the same boat memory wise but I seem to remember politics/money being the driver of the boat as well.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
NIT is now seeded 1-8 in each bracket with the better seed being the home team. If for some reason the home team can’t host due to scheduling conflicts then the other team can host.

Any conference regular season champion that fails to win its conference tournament, and does not get an "at large" NCAA bid gets an automatic bid to the NIT. For example, last year the Big West, CUSA, CAA, Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, MAC, Missouri Valley, Southland, SWAC, and Sun Belt regular season champions/tournament losers, were in the NIT. After that it is up to a committee in "consultation" with ESPN.

MU has zero point zero chance at an "at large" selection to the NIT. It is win the conference tournament and be about a 14 seed in the NCAA, or pay to play. This year there are two pay to plays, one is an on-campus deal, the other is a weekend tournament at Coastal Carolina's gym.

As to WVU, MOVE ON. There was a very long era, maybe 30 years or a little longer, where MU and WVU were on the same level in men's basketball. It was a great time. It is over. WVU has invested in their program and moved to a different tier. We tarp over seats and play Glenville State. We play WVU in baseball and are in the some conference in men's soccer. I think we play them in women's soccer too. Maybe some other sports. Enjoy those.

Reactions: Finnius
Any conference regular season champion that fails to win its conference tournament, and does not get an "at large" NCAA bid gets an automatic bid to the NIT. For example, last year the Big West, CUSA, CAA, Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, MAC, Missouri Valley, Southland, SWAC, and Sun Belt regular season champions/tournament losers, were in the NIT. After that it is up to a committee in "consultation" with ESPN.

MU has zero point zero chance at an "at large" selection to the NIT. It is win the conference tournament and be about a 14 seed in the NCAA, or pay to play. This year there are two pay to plays, one is an on-campus deal, the other is a weekend tournament at Coastal Carolina's gym.

As to WVU, MOVE ON. There was a very long era, maybe 30 years or a little longer, where MU and WVU were on the same level in men's basketball. It was a great time. It is over. WVU has invested in their program and moved to a different tier. We tarp over seats and play Glenville State. We play WVU in baseball and are in the some conference in men's soccer. I think we play them in women's soccer too. Maybe some other sports. Enjoy those.
Somewhat agree but somewhat disagree....for the last 10 years or so we couldn't beat them ...but this year we'd have a real chance, they very flawed team but certainly we have weakness's as well but the game would be no mismatch.

Somewhat agree but somewhat disagree....for the last 10 years or so we couldn't beat them ...but this year we'd have a real chance, they very flawed team but certainly we have weakness's as well but the game would be no mismatch.
Maybe. But lets go across the Big Sandy and make an analogy. Kentucky is very mediocre and Louisville is dog s***. Probably there are fans of Eastern, Western, Northern, Murray, and even Morehead, who think that, this year, maybe they could beat either one. I, for one, would take most anybody in the country over Louisville.

But that doesn't change the fact that UK is in the SEC and UL is in the ACC.

Yeah, could the best MU team in a decade (and not saying that this one is, really cannot know, haven't played any body) have a puncher's chance against the worst WVU team in the same time period? Sure. But WVU has moved up to a different level and we have stayed behind. We used to be piers, and we used to have a chance every year. Actually, we were slightly higher level than them for most of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Its over. Move on. Whining about WVU and fixating on WVU makes us look like ECU or Appy. All ate up with "little brother" syndrome. We are better than that.

Sam is correct as far as possible regular season outcomes... Here they are by likelihood according to ESPN's matchup predictor...

1. We split our last two and Southern Miss wins out.... USM then wins the regular season and locks up the NIT spot if they lose in the conference tournament.
2. We split our last two and so does Southern Miss... USM then wins the regular season and locks up the NIT spot if they lose in the conference tournament.
2. We win out and so does Southern Miss... USM then wins the regular season and locks up the NIT spot if they lose in the conference tournament.
3. We win out and Southern Miss loses one... We win the regular season and lock up the NIT bid, if we lose in the conference tournament.

MU will absolutely not be receiving an at-large bid to either the NCAA or the NIT... We don't have any NCAA resume at all, and the NIT has an even more limited number of at-large spots, thus they want bigger schools to ensure their event makes money.

If we want to play in the NCAA, we have to win the conference tournament... The only way to the NIT is winning the regular season title and losing in the tourney... Otherwise, it will be the CBI or some lesser event, or nothing.

I am not being dogmatic here but I am not convinced if we were to split our last two games and end the regular season at 24-7 and then say go 2-1 in the tourney lose in the finals . End up at 26-8 we don't get an NIT bid. our NET is about 80? Maybe I am wrong but I think we have a chance for an at large in the NIT. The NCAA it's win the SB tourney or go home LOL. If we play in the CIT I'll take it this year although I would be disappointed.

I am not being dogmatic here but I am not convinced if we were to split our last two games and end the regular season at 24-7 and then say go 2-1 in the tourney lose in the finals . End up at 26-8 we don't get an NIT bid. our NET is about 80? Maybe I am wrong but I think we have a chance for an at large in the NIT.

After the automatic bids for the one-bid conference losers, the NIT is all about the $$. We tarp over seats and have played the easiest schedule imaginable. Nobody wants us to host a game, and no team that fell short of the NCAAs is going to be excited about Marshall coming to town with its cupcake resume.
The NCAA it's win the SB tourney or go home LOL. If we play in the CIT I'll take it this year although I would be disappointed.
The CIT no longer exists. The two pay to plays are the CBI, which is now a weekend tournament in Daytona Beach (I said Myrtle Beach, above, sorry) and The Basketball Classic, which is pay to play and pay to host.

I am not being dogmatic here but I am not convinced if we were to split our last two games and end the regular season at 24-7 and then say go 2-1 in the tourney lose in the finals . End up at 26-8 we don't get an NIT bid. our NET is about 80? Maybe I am wrong but I think we have a chance for an at large in the NIT. The NCAA it's win the SB tourney or go home LOL. If we play in the CIT I'll take it this year although I would be disappointed.
The NIT is a 32-team field... Most years they have 11-13 auto bids (teams from small leagues that win their regular season and lose in their respective tournament). Last year there were 11 auto-bids.

Here is a list of teams from mid-major conferences that got at-large bids in 2022 --

Dayton
VCU
Belmont
Missouri State
Utah State
Santa Clara
* All of the above teams are from bigger/better leagues than the SBC

The rest of the NIT spots were filled by 8th, 9th, 10th place teams from the P5 leagues/Big East/AAC... And the bigger schools got all the home games (to assure the event made money).

Are we one of the top 6 mid-major teams in Net right now?... Nope.

San Diego State, Boise State, Florida Atlantic, Nevada, Oral Roberts, North Texas, Liberty, New Mexico, College of Charleston, Sam Houston State, Bradley, Kent State, UAB, Iona, Yale, Drake, Utah Valley, VCU, Dayton... All ahead of us. Obviously some of those teams will make the dance, but not all will.

And if we lose 2 of the next 5, as your example states, we will drop even further in NET ranking due to taking on two Quad 2 or Quad 3 losses.

Why would you take some 3rd/4th rate pay for play tournament that means absolutely nothing? None of us should be remotely happy with playing in that stuff.

Thus far Dan has done a good job this season and this is probably one of the better teams we have ever had. Couple that with the road to a conference championship being the best road we've probably ever had or at least had in a long long time. This conference is wide open and we are playing pretty darn good ball.

Falling on our faces in the post season again and ending in 3rd rate tournament should be inexcusable. At some point it's got to be about winning the championship or bust for this staff. We lose Kinsey and losing Taylor is also a possibility. There are people also afraid someone comes after Micah.

Why would you take some 3rd/4th rate pay for play tournament that means absolutely nothing? None of us should be remotely happy with playing in that stuff.

Thus far Dan has done a good job this season and this is probably one of the better teams we have ever had. Couple that with the road to a conference championship being the best road we've probably ever had or at least had in a long long time. This conference is wide open and we are playing pretty darn good ball.

Falling on our faces in the post season again and ending in 3rd rate tournament should be inexcusable. At some point it's got to be about winning the championship or bust for this staff. We lose Kinsey and losing Taylor is also a possibility. There are people also afraid someone comes after Micah.

Good Lord. Personally, as someone who loves this bball team, i want to watch them as many times as I can and I dont care where they play at, or what tournament they play in. The fact that we have three freshman is enough that any fan of this team should want them to play in as many games as possible.

Reactions: ohio herd
The two pay to plays are the CBI, which is now a weekend tournament in Daytona Beach (I said Myrtle Beach, above, sorry) and The Basketball Classic, which is pay to play and pay to host.
And both are pointless battles to decide who is the 101st best team in the country.

Good Lord. Personally, as someone who loves this bball team, i want to watch them as many times as I can and I dont care where they play at, or what tournament they play in. The fact that we have three freshman is enough that any fan of this team should want them to play in as many games as possible.
I want to see them play as much as possible as well. The difference is I want to watch them play in tournaments that actually matter. Mediocrity should not be acceptable.

Then again you did once say that Herrion got a raw deal and shouldn't have been fired.

You can't say you love the Herd and be happy/content with almost never winning championships. At some point those charged with leading and influencing the direction of the program need to be held accountable.

In all honesty, what do you posters believe it would take for Marshall basketball to become dominant in our league so we can at least show up occasionally in the major tournaments? Better facility? Better coach? More general funding?

You guys are like women! You have a Herd team that has won 24 reg season games with a game left. We win that one & grab reg season title, NIT auto bid if not NCAA & the #1 seed in next weeks tournament!!! Quit your bitchin’ & enjoy the ride, my dudes!!!!

Reactions: islandherdfan
In all honesty, what do you posters believe it would take for Marshall basketball to become dominant in our league so we can at least show up occasionally in the major tournaments? Better facility? Better coach? More general funding?
My guess would be to post more Ws. which, in turn, might mean more championships. Winning solves everything.

First of all, I haven’t seen anything g from Joe Linardi, but WVU is turning it on in the back half of the season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the NCAA. As for us, I wouldn’t want to play wvu, not this year. They’re so hot or cold…I still think they’d stomp a mud hole in us, especially in Morgantown. Next, even a conference championship probably won’t qualify us into the NIT. We could get a low seed in the tourney and scrap though, or end up in the CBI or whateve it was that we won’t with Elmore and company.

After the automatic bids for the one-bid conference losers, the NIT is all about the $$. We tarp over seats and have played the easiest schedule imaginable. Nobody wants us to host a game, and no team that fell short of the NCAAs is going to be excited about Marshall coming to town with its cupcake resume.

The CIT no longer exists. The two pay to plays are the CBI, which is now a weekend tournament in Daytona Beach (I said Myrtle Beach, above, sorry) and The Basketball Classic, which is pay to play and pay to host.
What? The CIT no longer exists? Man, that makes TWO post season Tournament Championship Banners that we now having hanging in the CAM, the NAIB and now the CIT, representing champions of tournaments NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE!! What a BUMMER, Sam!! Thanks a LOT!! :mad::mad:

The NIT is a 32-team field... Most years they have 11-13 auto bids (teams from small leagues that win their regular season and lose in their respective tournament). Last year there were 11 auto-bids.

Here is a list of teams from mid-major conferences that got at-large bids in 2022 --

Dayton
VCU
Belmont
Missouri State
Utah State
Santa Clara
* All of the above teams are from bigger/better leagues than the SBC

The rest of the NIT spots were filled by 8th, 9th, 10th place teams from the P5 leagues/Big East/AAC... And the bigger schools got all the home games (to assure the event made money).

Are we one of the top 6 mid-major teams in Net right now?... Nope.

San Diego State, Boise State, Florida Atlantic, Nevada, Oral Roberts, North Texas, Liberty, New Mexico, College of Charleston, Sam Houston State, Bradley, Kent State, UAB, Iona, Yale, Drake, Utah Valley, VCU, Dayton... All ahead of us. Obviously some of those teams will make the dance, but not all will.

And if we lose 2 of the next 5, as your example states, we will drop even further in NET ranking due to taking on two Quad 2 or Quad 3 losses.

What? Double What??

We have NET ranking low than Yale? "YALE"? Lower than Sam Houston Institute of Technology? Lower than Utah Valley? UTAH VALLEY!!

For goodness sake, RhinoD, you're even 're a Bigger "PARTY POOPER" than SAM!!!!! :):D

Reactions: RhinoD
First of all, I haven’t seen anything g from Joe Linardi, but WVU is turning it on in the back half of the season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the NCAA. As for us, I wouldn’t want to play wvu, not this year. They’re so hot or cold…I still think they’d stomp a mud hole in us, especially in Morgantown. Next, even a conference championship probably won’t qualify us into the NIT. We could get a low seed in the tourney and scrap though, or end up in the CBI or whateve it was that we won’t with Elmore and company.
Being 5-10, likely 5-11 after Saturday, is not exactly what I would call turning it on in the back half of the season.

An effort.

This is a really bad league. Worse than CUSA. The talking heads tend to just lump all the "one bid conferences" together, but that isn't really true. There is a hierarchy among the one-bid conferences, and the SBC is very near the bottom.

Why? Simple. Most of the one-bid leagues don't play football. The main most sport on campus is basketball, and the schools have come together to join other schools that are trying to be on the same level in basketball. Not so for the SBC. Diverse, spread out, institutions whose ONLY commonality is a desire to play football at a particular level. A level probably 150 schools have the resources to play at, but only about 50 have the balls to do so.

So football takes the vast majority of the resources at most of these schools. Leaving crumbs. And basketball is really just not a focus at many of these schools, particularly in the deep south. At least a third of the league would say their #2 sports is baseball. But the NCAA says they have to have a basketball team, so they do. No one really cares. No one really comes to the games. Token efforts.

Leaving behind a handful of programs that really have the fan base, the money, and the interest, to make a serious run at men's basketball. You can see them at the top of the standings. Not just this year, but for years to come.

We can settle this league among those top programs, not just this year, but most every year.

Or we can do what, IMHO, only we have the ability to do. Dominate. No one else has the history, the fan base, and the resources to do so. Only us.

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
I want to see them play as much as possible as well. The difference is I want to watch them play in tournaments that actually matter. Mediocrity should not be acceptable.

Then again you did once say that Herrion got a raw deal and shouldn't have been fired.

You can't say you love the Herd and be happy/content with almost never winning championships. At some point those charged with leading and influencing the direction of the program need to be held accountablI

I want to see them play in the best tournament possible as well. But if we dont get in the NCAA, or into the NIT, and the CIT/CBI is the next best tournament available, then I want to play in that one.

Reactions: ohio herd
So you have a link to where the things RhinoD has pointed out about our position in all these methods are wrong? How many Quad A or B wins do we actually have and how exactly is the internet wrong?

Look forward to reading it.

WVU has as many quad 1 wins as just about anyone in the country. They also don't have a bad loss. They also beat Florida and Auburn, and stomped Pitt out of conference, two of which are tourney teams as well. I don't understand the obsession other than hatred. But anyone can be hated. I personally hate Ohio State, the Ravens, Miami OH, Lebron James, Kamala Harris, and so on... But I don't have to obsess about them.

WVU will be in the tourney if they win 2 of their last 3 games, or go 1-2 and then win a couple in the Big 12 tourney. I personally don't want to play a WVU team that is 16-14 but very good, and then lose. That just makes us look bad. And what do we get from beating a 16-14 team? Bragging rights?

It's not worth it

WVU has as many quad 1 wins as just about anyone in the country. They also don't have a bad loss. They also beat Florida and Auburn, and stomped Pitt out of conference, two of which are tourney teams as well. I don't understand the obsession other than hatred. But anyone can be hated. I personally hate Ohio State, the Ravens, Miami OH, Lebron James, Kamala Harris, and so on... But I don't have to obsess about them.

WVU will be in the tourney if they win 2 of their last 3 games, or go 1-2 and then win a couple in the Big 12 tourney. I personally don't want to play a WVU team that is 16-14 but very good, and then lose. That just makes us look bad. And what do we get from beating a 16-14 team? Bragging rights?

It's not worth it
Best case scenario, we dont even have to worry about it because we win the SBC tourney. Go Herd

If anyone is interested... Joe Lunardi just updated his Bracketology on ESPN.com at 9 a.m. this morning.

In Orlando --
5. Xavier
12. Marshall - aq

In Greensboro --
6. San Diego State - aq
11. West Virginia

But, CamJoanBaller, unlike the others on your "hate" list, the totally obnoxious, and largely inbred, WVU fan base coupled with their insufferable also totally obnoxious windbag and constantly self-promoting douchebag of a President totally make everything related to, and about, the Chickeneer University very EASY TO OBSESS ABOUT!!!

If anyone is interested... Joe Lunardi just updated his Bracketology on ESPN.com at 9 a.m. this morning.

In Orlando --
5. Xavier
12. Marshall - aq

In Greensboro --
6. San Diego State - aq
11. West Virginia
After tonight's abortion of a performance by Danny's guys, no doubt Lunardi will quickly revise his Bracketology prediction regarding the HERD!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT