ADVERTISEMENT

My challenge to anyone still behind Doc

Take Tyson Bagent for example, I spoke with a high school coach last night and said he watched every game film of Tyson the last two season in preparing to play Martinsburg, and he said the improvement he has made over the last two years is amazing. So to me Doc and staff did not keep track of Tyson and how he has improved.

Well, if they have why have they not called to at least invite them to walkon? Because trust me these kids are good enough to at least walkon at Marsahll.

Because everything you typed here is YOUR opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.

Well guess what, Doc has an opinion too. And right or wrong, he runs the Marshall program. Not you.

You clearly have a problem with Doc and have a vendetta against the man for what you perceive to be snubs against kids form the eastern panhandle. And when presented with facts you continue to move the needle and create strawman arguments that had/have absolutely nothing to do with your previous stance.

Just drop it, man. This conversation has run it's course.

What else might be left to be said on this thread; I'm betting not much.
Because everything you typed here is YOUR opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.

Well guess what, Doc has an opinion too. And right or wrong, he runs the Marshall program. Not you.

You clearly have a problem with Doc and have a vendetta against the man for what you perceive to be snubs against kids form the eastern panhandle. And when presented with facts you continue to move the needle and create strawman arguments that had/have absolutely nothing to do with your previous stance.

Just drop it, man. This conversation has run it's course.

Start with why this thread was created. Recruit kids with character! Build a roster with something other then kids from florida, and yes, he is changing that this year and looking forward to more of this in the future. It not just about the Eastern Panhandle but its also about more then the Kanwaha Valley and Huntingtion area.

lets move on

You are so dead on about Doc being biased against the 304 kids. We don't scout them and don't show any interest in them until they start getting interest & offers from other teams. I don't think we ever recruit kids from Martinsburg (though it is W.Va.'s nearest thing to being a football factory) or the rest of the Northern part of the state. We got Beckley's Van Horn (all-conference) and our present LB Chase Hancock (a probable all-conference) as walk-ons.

I totally agree that Doc needs to scoop up some of your kids on an annual basis...if Dave Walker does it with smoke & mirrors, then Doc needs to learn how.
Your statements couldn't be further from the truth. We have recruited WV hard the last few years. In the 2017-2019 classes we have offered a total of 17 WV recruits and have 4 commits from those offers so far. In the Doc Era, we have offered 29 WV recruits in the 2010-2019 classes so far and have had 11 commits from those offers. That's pretty good for a state that produces very little FBS talent per capita. I live in Virginia beach and there have been 24 recruits offered scholarships in comparison to the State of West Virginia, which has just 9 total and we have offered 6 of those guys. Face it, its great if we can land some local recruits that are good enough to play at the FBS level, but there just isn't much talent overall in the state so expecting the coaching staff to take 5-10 from the state per year and still play for championships isn't realistic.

He has changed and yes its noticed but why did it take him to like year 8? He is an experienced coach that should know how to build a roster.
He built our roster so well that we won 33 games from 2013-2015. Attrition happens everywhere, players get in trouble everywhere, and one of Doc's main responsibilities he had for about 20+ years was recruiting and roster building. He knows what he is doing in that area.

Half of our commits don't have a D1 offer outside of Marshall...
Several of our commits completely shut down their recruitment after committing so it somewhat distorts the number of offers. We have a pretty good class going so far with the OL class looking to be the top class in CUSA right now, the LB class is very good as well with a couple of WV boys in that group, and we have good commit at DT. The flashy recruits with all the offers will be coming soon.;)

Reactions: 31Herd55
The offers are coming, but even a person like me seeing Bagent playing against one of the best and most athletic teams in the state and could tell he was the kind of kid you want in your program.
I just wonder how many games those two teams would win if they were playing down here in Virginia Beach where they would be facing schools where half the starters have FBS or FCS scholarship offers. My guess is they wouldn't win more than a couple per year. Bagent sounds like a pretty good kid and solid QB, but we offered Grant Wells in the class, have a commitment from another QB (Underwood) from the State of FL that is the QB of one of the best HS teams in the country, and we even offered Kerry Martin as an athlete. It seems to me that we would have offered Bagent if he was the best choice for our offense.

So your proving my point. You don't need other offers to recruit a kid. Keep in mind this is the first year Doc has gone local.

also, totally different with walkons.

Doc needs to be camping at Capital Highs front door step. They have players. What about the Collier kid from Beckley? Doc in touch with him yet? What about Wes Ours son at Keyser? Doc call him yet?
We actually offered 5 WV recruits in the 2017 class, 6 in the 2018 class, and 6 so far in the 2019 class. We offered 12 WV recruits from 2010-2016. There is a common denominator, the Recruiting Coordinators in those years were Seider and Hartley , and both focused on recruiting the South and FL. Goebbel took over at RC in 2016 and since that time we have offered 18 WV recruits.

While I'm a huge proponent of pointing out Doc's many flaws Dobson isn't the best example. The WR that Doc recruited to WVU in the 2009 class was Stedman Bailey...
Don't forget Tavon Austin as well.

I think I ment say WVU had its fill of WR's and Doc was still taking problems kids over a local kid that made it to the NFL

Its the same with Eugene German from Martinsburg. The kids goes to Charlotte and is a three starter
At Charlotte.o_O

Go back to it

Is Marshall recruiting the kid from Beckley. Are they recruiting Wes Ours son?
Has phone call been made to the high school to see if they were still available. Maybe even only as a walkon. At least in this part of WV no one from Marshall will call and check about a kid. If a kid wants to walkon he will have to make the effort.l
Load of hogwash.

I heard we took him for granted and quit showing good interest in him. Is there a possibility that Seth will end up at Marshall?
NO, LSU offered and he couldn't pass up the opportunity! He quit at LSU and moved to TX--so no.

Well Capital it self has 4 kids, Martin, Pittman, big lineman, and the middle linebacker talking to Ohio. The other thing is you got to develop kids. You have to be able to look at a kid and project how he fits into your program after working hard in the weight room over a number of years, and I know for a fact the two dlineman from Martinsburg are kids that can develop types. Just call the coach and ask if they get Promise money and bring them in and develop the heck out of them. No one is not making these calls from Marshall. And if you do don't wait until the last minute.

Perfect example, Jefferson High school had a QB(Issac Myers) last year that also played on defense. Stud! Jeff Casteel at Navada found his video and loved him. Wanted him to come out. He said it was to fair away. Finally after many phone calls to Marshall they finally attempted to call but he had already commited to Glennville state. He started as a freshman at Glennville this year(he was a tightend fullback but Casteel wanted him at safety). He was a Promise kid with high character.

There are kids around they just need developed.
Our QB in the 2017 class was Isaiah Green. He was the starting QB on one of the best teams in the State of GA and was rated as one of the 2-3 best in the state. There's a big freaking difference between a WV QB that ends up at Glenville and a recruit that was highly regarded in one of the top recruiting states in the country.

Reactions: ohio herd
Docs problem is recruiting. Period! He does not like taking suggestions, he does not like getting leads from outside his staff, and he is trying to keep his pipeline open down south in case he gets another job. Now, he is doing better, but he still needs to improve, and Tyson Bagent is a perfect example.
That's not true at all. A poster on here knew about QB DeShaun Phillips from NC, and sent the staff his film and he was given a preferred walk-on offer because we were out of counter spots.

CHAD PENNINGTON.......enough said. Would Doc have recruited Chad? Your answer?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
He would have gotten a look because he only got a look from Donnan because of Elwood's ties to the school. Luckily, Donnan liked what he saw, offered him, and the rest is history.

We have one of the most successful walk-on programs in the conference. Go back through Doc’s tenure and look at the kids who were/are walk-ons and developed into great players.
We have at least 20 former walk-ons that have earn scholarships during Doc's time at MU.

and guess what? They will never play at Marshall. Its easy to offer the kids everyone else wants but it takes, time, skill, and effort to recruit the kids that can be developed.
We know Tavis Lee won't play at MU because he committed to WVU.

Our QB in the 2017 class was Isaiah Green. He was the starting QB on one of the best teams in the State of GA and was rated as one of the 2-3 best in the state. There's a big freaking difference between a WV QB that ends up at Glenville and a recruit that was highly regarded in one of the top recruiting states in the country.
I said he spot in college was tightend or safety

Sorry Josh, I felt some things needed to be said. I haven't laughed this much in a thread in a very long time.:D
Its no laughing matter when a program comes off of two championship type years and you had so many kids leave due to character issues that you end up 3-9 and having a difficult time fielding a team by the end.

Btw, anyone see the Collier kid from Beckley go nuts last night. As Doc been in touch yet?

He built our roster so well that we won 33 games from 2013-2015. Attrition happens everywhere, players get in trouble everywhere, and one of Doc's main responsibilities he had for about 20+ years was recruiting and roster building. He knows what he is doing in that area.

I want to make a remark about Doc's good heart.

During conversation once during a Coaches Caravan...I privately asked him why he gambled on Props or Guys with some high school baggage? Doc's reply......"I believe in granting players a second chance to help them start a new life...If we [Marshall] do not invest in their lives---who will step up to help them gain an education that will lead to a better life for them?" It was not a statement about football--it was a declaration of players gaining an education.

This is the first time I have shared this conversation with anyone......should Doc find out he may not be happy I reported this. Last night, I watched the You Tube presentation of the recent Memorial Fountain Celebration of Life. Folks, Doc wiped away tears and had to pause to speak how important it is to Marshall Football...that we continue to honor the 75. Doc spoke about how new players to the program, along with the rest of the team--- watches WE ARE MARSHAL when reporting to camp.....how in the hot Summer morning sun they make their annual run from campus to Spring Hill Cemetery.....how they joined arms when entering the playing field against WKU in unity to honor The 75 that did not return Nov. 14, 1970. You can't facade this stuff.....it comes from his heart and he is man enough to show it.

To me its more than X & Os, being loyal to your coaches, playing it close to the vest. It is having a caring heart for the players whose parents trust their sons to. I don't know what goes on in the locker room that causes players to be dismissed or chose to leave Huntington...not my business to know why! But I am in Doc's corner when it comes to loving the University that I invest in with Time & Money.

What does the future hold? I don't know......I too become disappointed....and voice it. Why? Because like you...we want what's best for Marshall. Families fight....but at the end of the day...Families come together for the betterment of their members.

We Are....MEMBERS of the Marshall FAMILY......it's time to join arms in Unity.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

During conversation once during a Coaches Caravan...I privately asked him why he gambled on Props or Guys with some high school baggage? Doc's reply......"I believe in granting players a second chance to help them start a new life...If we [Marshall] do not invest in their lives---who will step up to help them gain an education that will lead to a better life for them?" It was not a statement about football--it was a declaration of players gaining an education.

This is the first time I have shared this conversation with anyone......should Doc find out he may not be happy I reported this. Last night, I watched the You Tube presentation of the recent Memorial Fountain Celebration of Life. Folks, Doc wiped away tears and had to pause to speak how important it is to Marshall Football...that we continue to honor the 75. Doc spoke about how new players to the program, along with the rest of the team--- watches WE ARE MARSHAL when reporting to camp.....how in the hot Summer morning sun they make their annual run from campus to Spring Hill Cemetery.....how they joined arms when entering the playing field against WKU in unity to honor The 75 that did not return Nov. 14, 1970. You can't facade this stuff.....it comes from his heart and he is man enough to show it.

To me its more than X & Os, being loyal to your coaches, playing it close to the vest. It is having a caring heart for the players whose parents trust their sons to. I don't know what goes on in the locker room that causes players to be dismissed or chose to leave Huntington...not my business to know why! But I am in Doc's corner when it comes to loving the University that I invest in with Time & Money.

What does the future hold? I don't know......I too become disappointed....and voice it. Why? Because like you...we want what's best for Marshall. Families fight....but at the end of the day...Families come together for the betterment of their members.

unfortunately, this is a business. Doc is being stubborn and the Marshall football brand is hurting. Changes need to be made and if he won't do then he needs to be let go.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Its no laughing matter when a program comes off of two championship type years and you had so many kids leave due to character issues that you end up 3-9 and having a difficult time fielding a team by the end.

Btw, anyone see the Collier kid from Beckley go nuts last night. As Doc been in touch yet?
I think Mookie Collier plays for AA Bluefield...is he originally from Beckley?

This is a great story and thanks for sharing. I just think MU can help kids but you cant have an entire roster full of kids that need help.

If there happened to be a better football player with no baggage that Marshall could get, they would take him in front of the kid with baggage. So why no second chance there? It isn't about wanting to give a kid a second chance so that he can get an education. By doing that, we are taking away an opportunity for a kid with no baggage to get an education. See how that doesn't make sense?

This is the first time I have shared this conversation with anyone......should Doc find out he may not be happy I reported this.

You're an idiot. Why would he be mad that you made that comment? Do you think he shares some top-secret information with a random whacko at a fan event who has a reputation of interrupting and annoying people?

Josh, Do me a favor and ask the staff if they have called Brady Ours from Keyser. His dad played at WVU. He would be a perfect high profile kid for Marshall. Have they called the Collier kid from Beckley kid. Also, check out Trey Henry and Jalen Hessen from Martinsburg. The lineman.

These are perfect examples
FYI

Jalen Hesen from Martinsburg had 19 tackles today in the state championship. He is 6-1, 260 lbs and is a starter on the basketball team. He is also the starting offensive tackle and backup center. He has college defensive tackle written all over him. Also, the family is huge Marshall fans. Hope someone makes a call to check in on him

We have to have the highest attrition rate over the last 2-3 years or so than any program in the country. Makes on wonder what could have been.

I just wonder how many games those two teams would win if they were playing down here in Virginia Beach where they would be facing schools where half the starters have FBS or FCS scholarship offers. My guess is they wouldn't win more than a couple per year. Bagent sounds like a pretty good kid and solid QB, but we offered Grant Wells in the class, have a commitment from another QB (Underwood) from the State of FL that is the QB of one of the best HS teams in the country, and we even offered Kerry Martin as an athlete. It seems to me that we would have offered Bagent if he was the best choice for our offense.
lol, Grant Wells, is 6 foot and 170 lbs, does that sound like a D1 QB to you?

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT