ADVERTISEMENT

New ESPN bracketology... 2 CUSA teams in

Reactions: chuck1069
No, we wouldn't.

WHY NOT?

I will assure you the Herd will give WKU a strong test in Kentucky in a few weeks....providing they take two starting tonight & Saturday. The Toppers can not play anywhere like they did in Huntington.....Charlotte lost by 10 points at home to WKU.... and the 49ers are BAD

IMPORTANT Home games...for sure!

Zilla22

For MU to be inside "bracketology" it would mean...

A. Lunardi thinks we will win the CUSA tourney.

B. We will get an at-large spot.

The first option is the only real chance we have. The Herd would almost have to win out to be in at-large territory and that aint happening.

Right now he has WKU pulling an upset and winning the tourney, but MTSU still getting an at-large.

WHY NOT?

I will assure you the Herd will give WKU a strong test in Kentucky in a few weeks....providing they take two starting tonight & Saturday. The Toppers can not play anywhere like they did in Huntington.....Charlotte lost by 10 points at home to WKU.... and the 49ers are BAD

Zilla22

11-6 (13-6 if we win those two games) and and RPI of 110+ (138 currently). There's no chance for any team with that record and RPI ranking to get in the tournament unless you win the conference tourney.

11-6 (13-6 if we win those two games) and and RPI of 110+ (138 currently). There's no chance for any team with that record and RPI ranking to get in the tournament unless you win the conference tourney.

Exactly....The HERD needs to put together a long WIN streak...It's possible! The Golden Retriever (Dan) has some bark in his bite.....

Zilla22

Exactly....The HERD needs to put together a long WIN streak...It's possible! The Golden Retriever (Dan) has some bark in his bite.....

Zilla22

With the 6 losses that the Herd have, the only win streak to get them in the tournament would be 4 games in Cusa.. it wouldn’t matter if they won every game until the CUSA tourney and then lost in the tournament- they wouldn’t get in. The bad losses are atrocious. And when they look at the bubble teams they simply look at good wins and bad losses to break the ties. And since the Herd has NO good wins, the bad losses will most certainly be a factor. The best way, and easiest way, would be to win the CUsA tourney

true, hopefully we show well and position ourselves for an NIT this year.

WHY NOT?

Zilla22

And Charlotte, a BAD team, lost by 8 at home to MU. So your point is ???????

The NCAA discussion is certainly delusional. As has been exhaustively explained, our O N L Y shot is "get hot in the CUSA tournament and who knows". We have lost our way out of ANY consideration otherwise.

But I fail to understand this NIT talk. Likewise, pure delusion. First the NCAA does not take the "top 68 teams". Because of autobids, it really takes about the top 40. If you look at the brackets the lowest "at large" teams are usually 10th or 11th seeds. So we have the top 40 teams in the NCAA, plus some autobids.

Now we move to the NIT. Does it take "the next 32" ? Nope. Because it has autobids as well. Any team that wins its regular season but loses its conference tournament and does not get an "at large" to the NCAA gets an autobid to the NIT. That averages about 12 teams per year, winning a one-bid league and losing its tournament. So 32 - 12 = 20.

So 40 + 20 = 60. You are telling me this bunch is in the top 60 teams in the country?

Delusional.

No tournament. Again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Are we just going to all gloss over the fact that he just called Dan “The Golden Retriever”?

WIN STREAK AT 1........HERD 73...MTSU 63...snaps Raiders CUSA win streak at 15....

I told you so....when the HERD is Healthy....they can defeat any team in CUSA...including the Toppers!

Zilla22

The NCAA discussion is certainly delusional. As has been exhaustively explained, our O N L Y shot is "get hot in the CUSA tournament and who knows". We have lost our way out of ANY consideration otherwise.

But I fail to understand this NIT talk. Likewise, pure delusion. First the NCAA does not take the "top 68 teams". Because of autobids, it really takes about the top 40. If you look at the brackets the lowest "at large" teams are usually 10th or 11th seeds. So we have the top 40 teams in the NCAA, plus some autobids.

Now we move to the NIT. Does it take "the next 32" ? Nope. Because it has autobids as well. Any team that wins its regular season but loses its conference tournament and does not get an "at large" to the NCAA gets an autobid to the NIT. That averages about 12 teams per year, winning a one-bid league and losing its tournament. So 32 - 12 = 20.

So 40 + 20 = 60. You are telling me this bunch is in the top 60 teams in the country?

Delusional.

Win streak at 1 game....HERD 73....MTSU 63......I TOLD YOU SO....Sad Sam

Zilla22

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
In another post comparing Doc & Dan.......................someone referred to Doc as a Pitbull....Dan's personality is akin to a Golden Retriever....

Do your RESEARCH before questioning?

Zilla22
Oddly enough nothing came up when googling Dan D’Antoni golden retreiever. It does return a nice article from Business Insider on Mike though. Unfortunately no talk of golden retreievers that I could see.

Sam, while you're point is correct, your theory that Dan needs to be fired and that Marshall basketball is in a bad spot is laughable and ignorant. I laugh when I read your posts now.

No basketball team is perfect. Jirsa wasn't that long ago...Herrion either. Remember where this program was before being so negative towards being 13-6 after beating the #35 RPI team in the country last night by 10. We showed the ability to battle with a team that slows us down and MU defended the post effectively by doubling from the middle and being VERY active off the ball. Hopefully it wills translate to UAB, we will see. Also, a team completely healthy. Marshall has a good basketball PROGRAM that is growing in success. Would be sad for unreasonable, ignorant expectations for immediate tournament gratification to derail long term success. Grow a set, enjoy the season.

When did I say Danny needs fired? What I said, and still say, is that the delusional green colored glasses crazy optimism about basketball makes us look, with all due respect, like WVU fans, who are, IMHO, the most out-of-touch and delusional know nothings in college sports.

When people start talking about the NCAA, or even the NIT, they make our whole fan base look crazy.

The fact is MU, which is to say MH, is simply not willing, or perhaps able, to put sufficient resources into basketball, such that we have any realistic shot at even the NIT, this year, next year, any year.

I enjoy the games. I hope we win. Go Herd. But leave me out of a WVU-esque requirement that I buy into things that simply are not true in order to enjoy the games.

I will be at opening day for the Reds this year as well. Root like heck for my team. My fandom is not based on having to believe that we are going to the World Series. .500 would be an acomplishment.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I agree with that, which is why I believe we are doing this the only way possible to have long term success. I don't believe the resources are there period and that we are lucky to have Dan here willing to lead our school to success in basketball. It's not going to result in a national title or anything but we'll eventually be competitive enough to knock down the door to the tournament from time to time in the future.

We are in a one bid conference, I'm not sure we can reasonably expect a tournament each year without winning the conference tournament, which we have proven to be competitive in. I disagree that it won't ever happen. We are currently capable

The only thing unreasonable is your overall negativity towards the program. The only way to grow resources is to take these wins and build our fan base back. All you're doing is trying to undercut long term success by damping other folks hope for the program. Leave it alone, we need excitement

This.

Sam, you are a real puzzle to me. On the one hand, you have excruciatingly high expectations for Marshall sports in general & the basketball program in particular. On the other hand, you realize the Reds aren't going to the World Series, and you cheer for them regardless of the results. I assume when they win a ball game, you are happy? .500 ball for the Reds is an accomplishment, but anything less than 32-0 for the Herd basketball team is a major disappointment? The Reds getting into the Series once every 15 years is great, but if Marshall doesn't bust into the Big Dance every season, we are cursed and unwilling to provide the resources necessary to be "successful". Seems like you have 2 different standards here. Tell me that I misinterpreted your comments. I am sure you will have your own version of reality in your response!!

Go HERD !!!

When did I say Danny needs fired? What I said, and still say, is that the delusional green colored glasses crazy optimism about basketball makes us look, with all due respect, like WVU fans, who are, IMHO, the most out-of-touch and delusional know nothings in college sports.

When people start talking about the NCAA, or even the NIT, they make our whole fan base look crazy.

The fact is MU, which is to say MH, is simply not willing, or perhaps able, to put sufficient resources into basketball, such that we have any realistic shot at even the NIT, this year, next year, any year.

I enjoy the games. I hope we win. Go Herd. But leave me out of a WVU-esque requirement that I buy into things that simply are not true in order to enjoy the games.

I will be at opening day for the Reds this year as well. Root like heck for my team. My fandom is not based on having to believe that we are going to the World Series. .500 would be an acomplishment.

Same with my beloved Orioles...

Delusional.

IF we beat wku...we should use ucf's model for sports...

Since wku beat Purdue and IF we beat wku, we should be ranked #2 in the nation...
Guaranteed a #1 region spot come tournament time!!!

Oddly enough nothing came up when googling Dan D’Antoni golden retreiever. It does return a nice article from Business Insider on Mike though. Unfortunately no talk of golden retreievers that I could see.

No mackdaddypapaw......another poster on HN referred to Doc's & Dan's personalities as being===Doc a pitbull; Dan a golden retriever...I think it is funny and going forward..... I will call my Cuz-in-Law...The Golden Retriever. Believe me, he has been called worse inside the family!

Zilla22

Reactions: mackdaddypapaw
No mackdaddypapaw......another poster on HN referred to Doc's & Dan's personalities as being===Doc a pitbull; Dan a golden retriever...I think it is funny and going forward..... I will call my Cuz-in-Law...The Golden Retriever. Believe me, he has been called worse inside the family!

Zilla22
Haha I bet! Here’s the link to the article I was talking about. Not sure if it’s been posted yet. Has some quotes from Dan in it as well. Pretty good read.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/mike-dantoni-offense-shaped-nba-2017-11

This.

Sam, you are a real puzzle to me. On the one hand, you have excruciatingly high expectations for Marshall sports in general & the basketball program in particular.

So, asking to make the NCAA tournament more than zero times in the last 30 years is "excruciatingly high expectations".

...but anything less than 32-0 for the Herd basketball team is a major disappointment?

32-0?

How about, make the tournament (zero times in 30 years) or even, make the NIT (2 unrelated times in 30 years). 100s of teams have at least made the tournament ONCE in the last 30 years. More than half of the Division has made it once. We have not.

but if Marshall doesn't bust into the Big Dance every season, we are cursed and unwilling to provide the resources necessary to be "successful".

"Every season". How about ANY SEASON? THIRTY YEARS.

But here is the real answer. We have had two long basketball threads and two football threads. Both basketball ones fueled by the same coach relative/poster.

I have lived a lifetime in WV. Almost done. And through my entire lifetime the one thing that has, IMHO, separated MU fans from WVU fans is a grasp on reality. To be a WVU fan, from as long as I can remember, and that is a long time, one has to buy into things that were/are just idiotic. A delusional (and unique to WVU fandom, as far as I can tell from a lifetime of travel and reading other team's material) level of idiocy. Meanwhile, and I take great pride in this, Herd fans know what the Herd is, what our university is, what our state is, and what is going to happen. Frim grasp of reality. Which lead to a great pride in what we acomplish, which, I would say, is MORE WITH LESS than any program at any level anywhere.

However, just this year, we have had two long basketball threads and two long NFL draft football threads that are born of PURE DELUSION. And, I, and several other posters, who simply point out reality, get jumped on for it.

We are Herd fans. We are Marshall. We know better than to conduct ourselves like that crowd. We are the normal ones.

Reactions: PullmanFinger
So, asking to make the NCAA tournament more than zero times in the last 30 years is "excruciatingly high expectations".

32-0?

How about, make the tournament (zero times in 30 years) or even, make the NIT (2 unrelated times in 30 years). 100s of teams have at least made the tournament ONCE in the last 30 years. More than half of the Division has made it once. We have not.

"Every season". How about ANY SEASON? THIRTY YEARS.

But here is the real answer. We have had two long basketball threads and two football threads. Both basketball ones fueled by the same coach relative/poster.

I have lived a lifetime in WV. Almost done. And through my entire lifetime the one thing that has, IMHO, separated MU fans from WVU fans is a grasp on reality. To be a WVU fan, from as long as I can remember, and that is a long time, one has to buy into things that were/are just idiotic. A delusional (and unique to WVU fandom, as far as I can tell from a lifetime of travel and reading other team's material) level of idiocy. Meanwhile, and I take great pride in this, Herd fans know what the Herd is, what our university is, what our state is, and what is going to happen. Frim grasp of reality. Which lead to a great pride in what we acomplish, which, I would say, is MORE WITH LESS than any program at any level anywhere.

However, just this year, we have had two long basketball threads and two long NFL draft football threads that are born of PURE DELUSION. And, I, and several other posters, who simply point out reality, get jumped on for it.

We are Herd fans. We are Marshall. We know better than to conduct ourselves like that crowd. We are the normal ones.

You know better than to admit that we have a pretty good basketball program that is on the rise? It simply is not getting 25-30 wins year right now? Neato bro

You know better than to admit that we have a pretty good basketball program that is on the rise? It simply is not getting 25-30 wins year right now? Neato bro

Every year it’s ON THE RISE! I’m so sick of being on the rise. Make the GD tournament one time. ONCE.

I think they’re playing better too. But better than shitty doesn’t get me excited.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Every year it’s ON THE RISE! I’m so sick of being on the rise. Make the GD tournament one time. ONCE.

I think they’re playing better too. But better than shitty doesn’t get me excited.

We are 14-6 and just played in a conference title game you dimwit.

Reactions: ToesMU
Someone please find some old tapes of the Dwight Freeman and Ron Jirsa era so a couple of the guys on here can remember how far we have come. Or maybe they enjoyed that B-ball. 14 wins so far so can only win 1 more for that 15-15 prediction.

LRR

Dimwit?

No. Realist.

14-6?

Yes. But so what?

NON-CONFERENCE WINS:

Tennessee-Martin from one-bid OVC, 7-14
Southern from the one-bid SWAC, 7-13
North Carolina Central from one-bid MEAC, 10-9
Concord College from Div. II, 9-8
Akron from the one-bid MAC, 9-9
Tennessee-Chattanooga from the one bid SoCon, 6-13
Toledo from the one-bid MAC, 13-6
Ohio from the one-bid MAC, 9-9
Eastern Kentucky from the one bid OVC, 8-13

Exactly ONE win versus a team that can even manage a winning record against schedules similarly lighter than air.

NON-CONFERENCE LOSSES:

Morehead State, 6-13, 3 of those wins versus NAIA schools.
Illinois 10-10, currently 0-7 and LAST in the Big 10
W&M from the one-bid CAA, 13-6
Xavier, 18-3

CONFERENCE:

Southern Miss, 11-10
Louisiana Tech, 12-9
assreamed by 112-87 by 14-6 WKU
UNCC, 5-13
easily handled by 15-4 (versus a schedule lighter than ours) ODU
MTSU, 14-5, the only win of this cupcake collection that in any way can be looked on as more than nothing at all.
UAB, 13-7

14-6.

Really?

This team has accomplished very little. It beat a good, by CUSA standards, Middle, and a mediocre UAB and Toledo. It was exposed by WKU. It will muddle about for another 6 weeks, probably end up, percentage wise, slightly lower than it is now. Not really much at all.

How is that being a "dimwit"? From where I set it is the ability to see beyond a MEDIOCRE record against LIGHT competition. It is the ability to live in the real world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT