ADVERTISEMENT

New ESPN bracketology... 2 CUSA teams in

I havent once complained about the players. I AM however complaining about fans who think we are 'on the rise' because we have beaten a few decent CUSA teams (in the same season we lost to Morehead ****ing state). I think our players are actually doing very well (minus the laughable defense 33% of games that will end up costing us one in the CUSA tourney). I AM complaining that DD is a hero to a couple people on here like somehow he is the next Sean Miller or Chris Beard. My point is simply this- PROVE IT

If this was DD's first or 2nd year that would be different. But it's been many years, and as Sam (who I also sometimes disagree with) says: Lather rinse repeat

Some of us just aren't blind to history. People want us to love this team- well don't lose horrid non conference games. The proof is in the pudding

Its a waste of time to argue with someone who requires greatness to earn their precious fandom, but refuses or is unable to recognize a successful process to get there. Demanding something in 5 years that hasn't been done in 30 is ridiculous. As earlier stated, it took Kermit Davis 10 seasons at MTSU to make the NIT, 11 for the NCAA. Zero 20 win seasons in the first 9 and very mediocre seasons by some standards. I think it was worth the wait and thankfully for MTSU someone trusted the process to get them where they are now.

There are 351 (up nearly 100 since the ancient times when MU actually devoted the resources to basketball that are necessary to actually WIN) teams in Division I. Of which at least 80 are in ridiculous gym based bus leagues that are kidding themselves by being Div I, and another 100 or so are in leagues like the SoCon, MAC, or CUSA that are solid one-bid leagues. Despite that, almost half of the division has made the tournament at least once in the last 30 years. MU has not.

And now we have the obscene idea that 13-6, against a schedule lighter than air, moral victories (AKA losses), a lucky streak in a conference tournament or two, and not sucking as bad as we sucked previously is "not mediocre".

It is mediocre.

That is what it is. Mediocre. .666 ball. Playing randos and, apparently, totally ignoring the results every time we play a team with a pulse.

This is the buy-in necessary for MU basketball fandom, c.2018. ACCEPTING that the team will NEVER contend, and DELUDING oneself into believing that what one is seeing is "fun" and ignoring the scoreboard when it does not go our way. PRETENDING that the pot of gold is just over the next hill, or the next, or the next.
I havent once complained about the players. I AM however complaining about fans who think we are 'on the rise' because we have beaten a few decent CUSA teams (in the same season we lost to Morehead ****ing state). I think our players are actually doing very well (minus the laughable defense 33% of games that will end up costing us one in the CUSA tourney). I AM complaining that DD is a hero to a couple people on here like somehow he is the next Sean Miller or Chris Beard. My point is simply this- PROVE IT
we definitely are improving. We should reach 20 plus wins again this year and that is with a team that some thought would be lucky to win 15..... do you know any of them?? Next year will be the year to judge where we are as a program under DD. We have good kids on the team that play an exciting game of basketball. The problem we have at Marshall is we don't want to take the time to build the program the right way. DD is doing that. I remember sitting at the old Field House as a kid watching the 72-73 team. The 2 years before we had Mike Dantoni and Randy Noll etc and had 2 great seasons back to back. After that we lost plenty until the Rick Huckabee era when I was a student at Marshall. I want to see us build a foundation better than a 1-2 year run. DD gives us a chance IMO

Its a waste of time to argue with someone who requires greatness to earn their precious fandom, but refuses or is unable to recognize a successful process to get there. Demanding something in 5 years that hasn't been done in 30 is ridiculous. As earlier stated, it took Kermit Davis 10 seasons at MTSU to make the NIT, 11 for the NCAA. Zero 20 win seasons in the first 9 and very mediocre seasons by some standards. I think it was worth the wait and thankfully for MTSU someone trusted the process to get them where they are now.

Demanding somethng in 5 years that hasn’t been done in 30.... yes we should give Dan 31 years to win the 12th best conference 1 time. Ok is this candid camera?

we definitely are improving. We should reach 20 plus wins again this year and that is with a team that some thought would be lucky to win 15..... do you know any of them?? Next year will be the year to judge where we are as a program under DD. We have good kids on the team that play an exciting game of basketball. The problem we have at Marshall is we don't want to take the time to build the program the right way. DD is doing that. I remember sitting at the old Field House as a kid watching the 72-73 team. The 2 years before we had Mike Dantoni and Randy Noll etc and had 2 great seasons back to back. After that we lost plenty until the Rick Huckabee era when I was a student at Marshall. I want to see us build a foundation better than a 1-2 year run. DD gives us a chance IMO

I guess I just have a hard time with ‘building a program’ and losing to Morehead state after 5 years being in the same sentence.

Pullman and Sam, you need to just stop. Nothing you are saying applies to our situation. We are doing this the way it needs to be done. Every single point you have has been easily rebutted and yet you continue. Enjoy the season, or don't, I don't care. You just sound dumb at this point. We may not make the tournament this year, we also may make the tournament this year. Knowing we have a shot is quite the change from recent years

Pullman and Sam, you need to just stop. Nothing you are saying applies to our situation. We are doing this the way it needs to be done. Every single point you have has been easily rebutted and yet you continue. Enjoy the season, or don't, I don't care. You just sound dumb at this point. We may not make the tournament this year, we also may make the tournament this year. Knowing we have a shot is quite the change from recent years
Just because someone gives a rebuttal doesn’t mean it’s truth.. but thanks for your brilliant insight

Reactions: The Real SamC
Pullman & Sam: As I stated earlier, you are both lost causes. No amount of reasoning & logical thought process will sway you from your ultra-stubborn opinions. Way back when, the Roman army was pursuing the enemy when they reached the Rubicon River (current day NE Itileee). The General had to make a decision on whether to give up the chase or devise a way of getting his army across it. They decided to construct a temporary bridge that allowed the entire army to cross. But they also knew that once they crossed, the temporary bridge would fail and there would be no way of returning his warriors back to the other side. The Romans went across. Ever since, whenever a momentous decision is made from which there is no turning back once made, it is known as "Crossing the Rubicon". The 2 of you are on the other side of the river and there is no way to reach you. You are on your own out there in cyber-space. Best of luck, and don't forget those extra oxygen packs - they will come in handy!
....and thus endeth the lesson.......

WS

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
Pullman & Sam: As I stated earlier, you are both lost causes. No amount of reasoning & logical thought process will sway you from your ultra-stubborn opinions. Way back when, the Roman army was pursuing the enemy when they reached the Rubicon River (current day NE Itileee). The General had to make a decision on whether to give up the chase or devise a way of getting his army across it. They decided to construct a temporary bridge that allowed the entire army to cross. But they also knew that once they crossed, the temporary bridge would fail and there would be no way of returning his warriors back to the other side. The Romans went across. Ever since, whenever a momentous decision is made from which there is no turning back once made, it is known as "Crossing the Rubicon". The 2 of you are on the other side of the river and there is no way to reach you. You are on your own out there in cyber-space. Best of luck, and don't forget those extra oxygen packs - they will come in handy!
....and thus endeth the lesson.......

WS

Or..... we don't agree with you and therefore we are wrong. Congrats on a winning post

Reactions: The Real SamC
I fail to understand all the negativity. This fan base, once one of the best in the country, is sliding headlong into WVU-esque delusion. Football and basketball. Use unwarranted superlatives about MEDIOCRE records. Proclaim low ability program cancer QBs as the next Tom Brady. Speak in glowing terms about a past glory that never really happened. Proclaim every coach as the next Adolph Rupp or Knute Rockne. Aggrandize the program by mentioning it in a list with non-peers light years advanced of it. And, above all, tout whatever happens on the court (field, diamond, whatever) as the greatest accomplishment one has ever seen, and be chock full of excuses when the season ends the same way as every other one has. And be, oh so, certain that the promised land is just one season away.

It is not real. That is all I, and the others who see things as they are and not as we wish them to be, are saying. This team has won exactly two games of any note whatsoever, and has been exposed for what it is multiple times. Keep it real.

How sad. This fanbase is actually having a discussion about just how great a .666 team having played, and lost to, exactly two teams from non one bid leagues, is. Great or really great? Or really really great?

It is mediocre. That is what we are. I'm not happy about it, I want to improve. But, almost as importantly, why the delusion? People read these boards and other places. Non-Marshall people. And this delusional unrealistic nutty touting of non-acomplishment makes us look STUPID.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Look I don’t doubt any of what you’re saying- and I’ve watched them play multiple times. The point is I’ve heard this bedtime story a LOT over the years and it hasn’t come to fruition once. So that’s nice we’re ‘building’. How about finishing a product off ONE time
Look I don’t doubt any of what you’re saying- and I’ve watched them play multiple times. The point is I’ve heard this bedtime story a LOT over the years and it hasn’t come to fruition once. So that’s nice we’re ‘building’. How about finishing a product off ONE time
I started Marshall in 1964 and have been attending Marshall BB & FB since then (except for a 3 year break with Uncle Sam). I do not recall any of our B.B. coach’s doing the work Danny is doing in recruiting student athetes that, not only competes well on the court, but also represents the University positively. Been to several practices and he is an excellent teacher and I have seen development in every player. Most will get their degrees. I also am very hopeful of playing in NCAA on a regular basis.

I fail to understand all the negativity.

That's what we've been saying. Thanks for finally seeing it our way.

This fan base, once one of the best in the country, is sliding headlong into WVU-esque delusion. Football and basketball.

There's that SamC WVU obsession we've become accustomed to.

Use unwarranted superlatives about MEDIOCRE records.

It sure is terrible that people say things like "I enjoy watching the basketball team" or "that game was fun".

Proclaim low ability program cancer QBs as the next Tom Brady.

Hyperbole. If you're going to make this kind of claim, you need to back it up. Let's see a quote about one of our QBs being the next Tom Brady.

Speak in glowing terms about a past glory that never really happened.

Aren't you the one that keeps bringing up the last time we were in the tournament?

Proclaim every coach as the next Adolph Rupp or Knute Rockne.

Hyperbole again. I would ask you to provide a quote from one of our fans, but I know you can't.

Aggrandize the program by mentioning it in a list with non-peers light years advanced of it.

Aren't you the guy that posts about the AAC over and over and over again?

And, above all, tout whatever happens on the court (field, diamond, whatever) as the greatest accomplishment one has ever seen, and be chock full of excuses when the season ends the same way as every other one has.

More hyperbole. Find me one post where someone has said a win has been the "greatest accomplishment one has ever seen". Folks have said that a win was a "good/great" win, which is not the same as what you're claiming.

It is not real. That is all I, and the others who see things as they are and not as we wish them to be, are saying. This team has won exactly two games of any note whatsoever, and has been exposed for what it is multiple times. Keep it real.

How sad. This fanbase is actually having a discussion about just how great a .666 team having played, and lost to, exactly two teams from non one bid leagues, is. Great or really great? Or really really great?

It is mediocre. That is what we are. I'm not happy about it, I want to improve. But, almost as importantly, why the delusion? People read these boards and other places. Non-Marshall people. And this delusional unrealistic nutty touting of non-acomplishment makes us look STUPID.

I'm a Marshall fan first and foremost, and this is a Marshall board. Who gives one iota of a f*ck what someone from another school thinks of something a Marshall fan posts on here?

Frankly, it's more embarrassing to see the constant stream of garbage that you post cluttering up this board, but unfortunately I can't give you the permanent vacation you've deserved for a long time.

I fail to understand all the negativity. This fan base, once one of the best in the country, is sliding headlong into WVU-esque delusion. Football and basketball. Use unwarranted superlatives about MEDIOCRE records. Proclaim low ability program cancer QBs as the next Tom Brady. Speak in glowing terms about a past glory that never really happened. Proclaim every coach as the next Adolph Rupp or Knute Rockne. Aggrandize the program by mentioning it in a list with non-peers light years advanced of it. And, above all, tout whatever happens on the court (field, diamond, whatever) as the greatest accomplishment one has ever seen, and be chock full of excuses when the season ends the same way as every other one has. And be, oh so, certain that the promised land is just one season away.

Boy, I’m glad you’re around to keep the rest of us from looking stupid hahaha.

Jesus ****ing Christ, man. Your posts about “THE AMERICAN” makes me think someone has given a monkey access to our message board.

:eek:

Ahhhhhhhh..............I just ignored Sam & Pullman!! I have replaced the cold douche of reality with the warm fuzzy that comes from loving the HERD!!! Hallelujah....my IQ just went up 10 pts.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)

BELIEVE ME.....both Sean Miller & Chris Beard have attended & been tutored some of the D'Antoni offensive methods of coaching basketball.....and Dan is a master at teaching the D'Antoni System...TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

Zilla22 in Charlotte

I guess I just have a hard time with ‘building a program’ and losing to Morehead state after 5 years being in the same sentence.
I could understand if you were building a program with a young coach. As I said earlier, this is year 4 with just TWO sig home conference wins. There is yet to be a sig road conference win or a sig out of conference win. You chased Jirsa off and he beat WVU TWICE. Yes, this team is exciting to watch. It does show promise, but three benchmarks have yet to be achieved.

I could understand if you were building a program with a young coach. As I said earlier, this is year 4 with just TWO sig home conference wins. There is yet to be a sig road conference win or a sig out of conference win. You chased Jirsa off and he beat WVU TWICE. Yes, this team is exciting to watch. It does show promise, but three benchmarks have yet to be achieved.

So we should have kept Jirsa just because he beat WVU?

:rolleyes:

When’s THE REALIST!!!! going to fix this obsurdity for the betterment of the board? I mean, there are fans of other schools who read our boards...

I’d also like to see any kind of big win OTHER than WVU. When you play a team enough times, you’re bound to win a couple. How about we beat Xavier or Cincy. Or how about beat Illinois when they’re TE
Absolutely! I’m anxious to see what we do next year in non-conference with everyone back.

Like I’ve said earlier, winning with a bunch of freshmen in November is tough. Losing 80% of our starters from last season will do that. But Williams and George look like completely different players now compared to November and they’re giving us some really good minutes off the bench. The addition of Watson has helped a lot too.

Absolutely! I’m anxious to see what we do next year in non-conference with everyone back.

Like I’ve said earlier, winning with a bunch of freshmen in November is tough. Losing 80% of our starters from last season will do that. But Williams and George look like completely different players now compared to November and they’re giving us some really good minutes off the bench. The addition of Watson has helped a lot too.

I think we’re having a better year than expected, no question. I guess I just don’t share the same enthusiasm of Herd Zilla who thinks DD is God and does no wrong.

Fans who “think we are on the rise”. Really you don’t see it as on the rise?
Let’s spell it out
11 wins
13 wins
20 wins and play in championship game

A 6 year old could tell you that is rising.

Will Dan be a hero as a coach? Only time will tell but they are rising

Reactions: ohio herd
Fans who “think we are on the rise”. Really you don’t see it as on the rise?
Let’s spell it out
11 wins
13 wins
20 wins and play in championship game

A 6 year old could tell you that is rising.

Will Dan be a hero as a coach? Only time will tell but they are rising

Who cares? It’s an endless cycle. Soon we will have 24 wins. Not make the tourney and then have a down year and start building again. Cycle cycle cycle

Nope just making fun of you using your own words. Sorry you didn't get the joke,
At least no one called you a senile retard.

I know what you were doing. It’s just sad it took you asking me 4 questions to get to your attempt at a witty joke. Good try though

I think we’re having a better year than expected, no question. I guess I just don’t share the same enthusiasm of Herd Zilla who thinks DD is God and does no wrong.
We're? Nothing like a WVU fan telling Herd fans how their athletic teams should be handled. BTW, sorry about your true 'we' team losing again last night. That had to hurt.

We're? Nothing like a WVU fan telling Herd fans how their athletic teams should be handled. BTW, sorry about your true 'we' team losing again last night. That had to hurt.

Good God... this guy again. What happened- did earn an hour of internet time in the computer lab at the nursing home for not pissing your pants and you decided to jump in this conversation after it's already over? Stop wasting our time and go change your diaper

Concentrate Pully:

11 Wins
13 Wins
20 Wins
TBD

Lots of folks back next year, with bigs coming on board.

National Title worthy? Nope, but 'your' team has never won one either. Tough loss last night. Had to sting.

Concentrate Pully:

11 Wins
13 Wins
20 Wins
TBD

Lots of folks back next year, with bigs coming on board.

National Title worthy? Nope, but 'your' team has never won one either. Tough loss last night. Had to sting.

You can keep repeating yourself over and over with your attempt at an insult and it won't get any funnier. Dementia kicking in has to sting

GREAT REPLY thunderingon......for the love of John Marshall anyone that CAN NOT see the progress Dan, his staff, and (304) players and the other talented HERD players are making====are just BLIND & STUPID.

If the shoe fits wear it
======Sad Sam & Pullman Finger (we have a finger for you)....

Zilla2 (G Sweeney) in Charlotte

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT