ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when...

Singing day is over now of course. Yes the early signing period hurts a little bit.

We had one home game from the end of the season through signing day (not during the dead period) and that was in January vs ODU. The dead period ended just one day before that weekend and we had no one on campus. The next two weekends are our traditionally biggest weekends with visitors and we had no weekend home games.

I would be interested to know the reasoning behind Herdmeister feeling the need to “like” the original post

Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
Singing day is over now of course. Yes the early signing period hurts a little bit.

We had one home game from the end of the season through signing day (not during the dead period) and that was in January vs ODU. The dead period ended just one day before that weekend and we had no one on campus. The next two weekends are our traditionally biggest weekends with visitors and we had no weekend home games.

I would be interested to know the reasoning behind Herdmeister feeling the need to “like” the original post
I’m equally as interested to know why you feel the need to question his like...

That’s fine. I can let you and random both know why I questioned his “like.” Seems to be common place for him to like something that seems to demean the head coach of our football team. I was curious as to what he found negative about this particular post. Pretty simple really.

That’s fine. I can let you and random both know why I questioned his “like.” Seems to be common place for him to like something that seems to demean the head coach of our football team. I was curious as to what he found negative about this particular post. Pretty simple really.

Criticizing, questioning, voicing dissatisfaction, and pointing out errors are not the same as demeaning.

Full disclosure, obviously 75% of me is trolling and triggering the blind Holliday loyalists but the other 25% of me was legitimately curious because of how John would bring recruits to the games in years past. He even attended one or two on his own even when recruits weren’t in.

But now, much like the way you wouldn’t catch him eating in a Huntington restaurant unless it’s take out from Fat Patty’s right after he has said “no question” 45 times on his call in show, you hardly see him outside of the friendly confines of the Shewey.

Outside of the Joan when is Coach Holiday seen anywhere in Huntington?
Homecoming Parade does not count nor do the two Fountain ceremonies as they are on campus.
I have lived here since before he was hired, I have NEVER seen him outside of a Herd event. I run into Danny at Kroger shopping, I used to see Mitch Jacobs (Volleyball) regularly and I also see Tony Kemper (womens basketball) once in a while

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Outside of the Joan when is Coach Holiday seen anywhere in Huntington?
Homecoming Parade does not count nor do the two Fountain ceremonies as they are on campus.

I live in Hurricane and am in Huntington all the time. Never once happened upon him.

I think John exists now only within the confines of Joan C Edwards and opposing stadiums. An automaton, loaded with football game planning and decision making software from the 1980s.

I have lived here since before he was hired, I have NEVER seen him outside of a Herd event. I run into Danny at Kroger shopping, I used to see Mitch Jacobs (Volleyball) regularly and I also see Tony Kemper (womens basketball) once in a while
Yep, this has been my point about Doc. When was the last time you saw Doc at a local high school football game. Or, better yet go to a high school hoops game where a kid my be playing to just let the fans know you have an interest. Its a huge PR move that helps build a fan base. I realize the mods don't like it when I call Doc out but boys its a reasonable request to have your coaches be seen and out an about. As I have said, Blake Hartman from Musselman would be a nice pick-up for Doc but he will not recruit the EP.

So Doc should shop at Kroger in Huntington when he lives in Hurricane?

I've ran into Doc, Coach Cline, Coach Legg and Coach Goebbel (when they were here) in Hurricane as this is where they live(d).

I've never seen Dan in Hurricane once. Is that wrong of him? No, he simply does not live here.

Doc but he will not recruit the EP.

Reality is MU’s traction, in sports and just generally, in the EP is as close to zero as there can be. Most EP people, unless they are in some state related job where there are state wide groups or meetings, or in politics, never go west of US 220 in their lives. They get their TV from DC, follow the DC or Baltimore pro teams, vacation in Ocean City, fly out of IAD, and otherwise generally are a different place where Huntington has no relevance. The locals (the minority) follow WVU, the move ins (the majority) follow whatever richy rich college they went to to qualify them for “work” in the swamp.

Or, better yet go to a high school hoops game where a kid my be playing to just let the fans know you have an interest.

So you think Doc should attend basketball games of kids that he may only be recruiting as a preferred walk-on?

At the moment, I can only think of five (1 signed and 4 underclassmen) current bball players in the state of WV that have football offers from Marshall.

Do we really think that visiting a basketball game some 1-2 years prior to their graduation is really going to sway their decisions? I'll answer that for you.....no it will not.

John used to come to basketball games and bring recruits? Did the early signing day change that? Or did he just decide that showing them the Bad Boy Mower Bowl trophy was enough to seal the deal?

They still do that. The problem this year was that the basketball schedule didn't coicide with our visit dates. The basketball team was out of town the last two weekends before NSD, and those are typically are biggest weekends for visits.

Reality is MU’s traction, in sports and just generally, in the EP is as close to zero as there can be. Most EP people, unless they are in some state related job where there are state wide groups or meetings, or in politics, never go west of US 220 in their lives. They get their TV from DC, follow the DC or Baltimore pro teams, vacation in Ocean City, fly out of IAD, and otherwise generally are a different place where Huntington has no relevance. The locals (the minority) follow WVU, the move ins (the majority) follow whatever richy rich college they went to to qualify them for “work” in the swamp.
More MU grads then you think in the EP. Lots of kids want to get away. When a kid qualifies for the Promise you cant use that money out of state.

So you think Doc should attend basketball games of kids that he may only be recruiting as a preferred walk-on?

At the moment, I can only think of five (1 signed and 4 underclassmen) current bball players in the state of WV that have football offers from Marshall.

Do we really think that visiting a basketball game some 1-2 years prior to their graduation is really going to sway their decisions? I'll answer that for you.....no it will not.
Dude, you always miss the point. Its about building a fan base and working people that may help you or MU in the future. Have you ever seen Doc at the state championship football games?

Dude, you always miss the point. Its about building a fan base and working people that may help you or MU in the future. Have you ever seen Doc at the state championship football games?

No, I get your point. You come here to troll our football coach.

Have you ever seen Dana Holgersen or Neal Brown at the state championship?

Sorta like with all those recruits in Florida. No ties to Marshall. Root for Miama, Florida, or Fla. St. Vacation at Disney. Go to the beach at Ft. Lauderdale. See any difference here? I don't.

No, I get your point. You come here to troll our football coach.

Have you ever seen Dana Holgersen or Neal Brown at the state championship?
Dana went the last year he was here. Neal was seen in the school after the football player passed away(Bluefield?). Its about being seen!

Sorta like with all those recruits in Florida. No ties to Marshall. Root for Miama, Florida, or Fla. St. Vacation at Disney. Go to the beach at Ft. Lauderdale. See any difference here? I don't.
You would be shocked how many MU alums are in the EP.

Dana went the last year he was here. Neal was seen in the school after the football player passed away(Bluefield?). Its about being seen!

I'm gonna need physical proof of Dana being there. I'm calling bullshit on that.

And Neal Brown was there because he signed a kid out of Bluefield and was/is recruiting Isaiah Johnson from there. It's a nice gesture, but if you think that will sway someone in their decision to support WVU (even through losing seasons), you're wrong. If he continues to go 5-7 over the course of the next few years, people will soon forget he ever visited Bluefield, WV.

Oh I guess nick saban showing up to a kids basketball is pointless? I’ll be sure to let nick and gator mate know

I'm gonna need physical proof of Dana being there. I'm calling bullshit on that.

And Neal Brown was there because he signed a kid out of Bluefield and was/is recruiting Isaiah Johnson from there. It's a nice gesture, but if you think that will sway someone in their decision to support WVU (even through losing seasons), you're wrong. If he continues to go 5-7 over the course of the next few years, people will soon forget he ever visited Bluefield, WV.
last time I checked Doc signed a guy from their as well! Btw, Dana went to see the Martin kid

Was the kid a scholarship recruit and/or in his senior year season?
why does it matter. Nick is out visiting high schools. Josh, its a common practice at most schools. saban was seen coming out of Charles Bell's high school in December

Also, in part Dana was pushed out of WVU because he was not out and being seen.

More MU grads then you think in the EP. Lots of kids want to get away. When a kid qualifies for the Promise you cant use that money out of state.
agreed. I used to live over there. I would see many Herd stickers on cars and flags on houses

Reactions: 5150
last time I checked Doc signed a guy from their as well! Btw, Dana went to see the Martin kid

I get that, but you're out here trying to make it sound like Neal Brown would've visited Bluefield no matter if he had signed a Bluefield kid or not and you simply do not know that.

why does it matter. Nick is out visiting high schools. Josh, its a common practice at most schools. saban was seen coming out of Charles Bell's high school in December

Because it matters.

Why would Doc travel all the way to the EP just to see a kid that is likely a preferred walk-on?

You have this mindset that our coaching staff has unlimted time/resources and that's simply not true.

I seriously don't understand why you even comment on Marshall Athletics because your understanding of such is so skewed it's unreal.

Because it matters.

Why would Doc travel all the way to the EP just to see a kid that is likely a preferred walk-on?

You have this mindset that our coaching staff has unlimted time/resources and that's simply not true.

I seriously don't understand why you even comment on Marshall Athletics because your understanding of such is so skewed it's unreal.
Im talking in general since Doc has had the job.

saban was seen coming out of Charles Bell's high school in December

Charles Bell's HS also produces a ton of D1 kids.

Their 2021 class (so far) includes 2 four-stars (both in the Rivals 250) and a three-star DB.

Do you honestly think Nick Saban is visiting Quince Orchard just for the heck of it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT