ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when...

Charles Bell's HS also produces a ton of D1 kids.

Their 2021 class (so far) includes 2 four-stars (both in the Rivals 250) and a three-star DB.

Do you honestly think Nick Saban is visiting Quince Orchard just for the heck of it?
Nope and that is the point. If you have a High School program with talent Doc needs to visit. Bluefield is a great example. Get out of your office! That is the point to this entire thread!

Nope and that is the point. If you have a High School program with talent Doc needs to visit. Bluefield is a great example. Get out of your office! That is the point to this entire thread!

How do you know that he's never been to Bluefield HS?

For that matter, Doc must be doing something right seeing how he signed JJ Davis from there this year and is very involved with Isaiah Johnson albeit he's no longer enrolled there.

I'd worry about your boy up North and leave Marshall's recruiting to the guys who get paid to do so.

I didn't start this thread about Doc and not being seen in the community.

The OP wasn't about Doc being seen in the community. There was simply a question of whether or not Doc still brought the official visitors to the basketball games or not, for which I explained why that didn't happen this year.

The OP wasn't about Doc being seen in the community. There was simply a question of whether or not Doc still brought the official visitors to the basketball games or not, for which I explained why that didn't happen this year.
read real close on Herdmeister's post and you will see something about Dan being seen around but not Doc

read real close on Herdmeister's post and you will see something about Dan being seen around but not Doc

HerdMeister didn't start the thread, and I think we all know why his post was stated in the way it was.

Sorta like with all those recruits in Florida. No ties to Marshall. Root for Miama, Florida, or Fla. St. Vacation at Disney. Go to the beach at Ft. Lauderdale. See any difference here? I don't.

Most of our Florida kids have never been on, nor needed a “vacation”, but yes, there is a difference.

Of course, MU is not anybody in Florida’s first choice, nor their 18th choice. No little boy, when he is 12, envisions himself playing for MU. That is reserved for the True Majors. But, Doc, and about half of the teams east of the Mississippi, have made good teams mining the DEEEEEEEEEEEEP talent pool that is Florida.

However, this tread is somehow criticizing Doc because of some supposed deficiency in recruiting a place, 300 miles away, that because of some accident of history and geography is in the same state as us. Nobody over there cares a whit about MU, sports or generally. The idea to some kid will go to MU over ________ because we have the same color license plates is stupid.

Most of our Florida kids have never been on, nor needed a “vacation”, but yes, there is a difference.

Of course, MU is not anybody in Florida’s first choice, nor their 18th choice. No little boy, when he is 12, envisions himself playing for MU. That is reserved for the True Majors. But, Doc, and about half of the teams east of the Mississippi, have made good teams mining the DEEEEEEEEEEEEP talent pool that is Florida.

However, this tread is somehow criticizing Doc because of some supposed deficiency in recruiting a place, 300 miles away, that because of some accident of history and geography is in the same state as us. Nobody over there cares a whit about MU, sports or generally. The idea to some kid will go to MU over ________ because we have the same color license plates is stupid.
This is about getting out into the community and being seen.

This is about getting out into the community and being seen.

What good is it being “seen” in a community that is 300 miles away, where 90% of people have never been anywhere near Charleston let alone Huntington, where no one cares, and where MU is in no way considered relevant?

Criticizing Doc for “missing” some player out of the EP is the same as criticizing Doc for missing a player from Dayton or Winston-Salem. Both are a lot closer.

Welp, I have just finished reading this thread and honestly I feel that 10 minutes of my life was stolen. I think Senator Comrade Sanders is advertising for the open debating skills position......become a BernieBro!

So Doc should shop at Kroger in Huntington when he lives in Hurricane?

I've ran into Doc, Coach Cline, Coach Legg and Coach Goebbel (when they were here) in Hurricane as this is where they live(d).

I've never seen Dan in Hurricane once. Is that wrong of him? No, he simply does not live here.

That's an issue in and of itself.

At my last school, I had a local businessman (owned numerous bars/restaurants/buildings downtown/golf course) and a realtor tell me that they stopped buying season tickets and donating to the football program because the head football coach didn't live in the city. The coach decided to buy a house 30 minutes away in Austin, a top 12 sized U.S. city, instead of keeping his money in the town of 70,000 people where the school is located. That means not just his house, but his family's travels, food, shopping, etc. all contribute outside of university's city.

I completely understand and agree with that point. Texas State was trying to keep people from that region from driving 30 minutes to watch Texas play each Saturday and stay home and watch Texas State play instead. The head coach was showing up at local business events, alumni events, etc. trying to promote season tickets and donations from these locals. However, he decided to buy and live 30 minutes away in a place that didn't support the university.

It's short-sighted and poor business. I can't imagine Doc deciding to do the same for a place 30 minutes away didn't result in similar sentiments, though it is a little bit different since Hurricane isn't home to another university.

I think Senator Comrade Sanders is advertising for the open debating skills position......become a BernieBro!

giphy.gif

What good is it being “seen” in a community that is 300 miles away, where 90% of people have never been anywhere near Charleston let alone Huntington, where no one cares, and where MU is in no way considered relevant?

Criticizing Doc for “missing” some player out of the EP is the same as criticizing Doc for missing a player from Dayton or Winston-Salem. Both are a lot closer.
As Herdmeister said he has never seen Doc out in the community and I agree. Its his job to get out. I don't care if its at a Huntington high game. WV State title game, or in Bluefield but he needs to be seen. Herdmeister said he sees Dan out an about but has never seen Doc.

That's an issue in and of itself.

At my last school, I had a local businessman (owned numerous bars/restaurants/buildings downtown/golf course) and a realtor tell me that they stopped buying season tickets and donating to the football program because the head football coach didn't live in the city. The coach decided to buy a house 30 minutes away in Austin, a top 12 sized U.S. city, instead of keeping his money in the town of 70,000 people where the school is located. That means not just his house, but his family's travels, food, shopping, etc. all contribute outside of university's city.

I completely understand and agree with that point. Texas State was trying to keep people from that region from driving 30 minutes to watch Texas play each Saturday and stay home and watch Texas State play instead. The head coach was showing up at local business events, alumni events, etc. trying to promote season tickets and donations from these locals. However, he decided to buy and live 30 minutes away in a place that didn't support the university.

It's short-sighted and poor business. I can't imagine Doc deciding to do the same for a place 30 minutes away didn't result in similar sentiments, though it is a little bit different since Hurricane isn't home to another university.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'd imagine that Doc lives in Hurricane to be as close to his parents as possible. I'd do the same thing if I were in his shoes and my parents needed assistance from time to time.

Reactions: The Real SamC
No, I get your point. You come here to troll our football coach.

Have you ever seen Dana Holgersen or Neal Brown at the state championship?
What Marshall supporter gives a crap about what Dana, Neal, or tHuggs do with their recruiting time?

What Marshall supporter gives a crap about what Dana, Neal, or tHuggs do with their recruiting time?

They don’t.

Why does a WVU supporter come to this board to talk Marshall’s recruiting while comparing Doc’s and Neal Brown’s recruiting efforts?

It’s beyond me.

They don’t.

Why does a WVU supporter come to this board to talk Marshall’s recruiting while comparing Doc’s and Neal Brown’s recruiting efforts?

They don't.

Why does a Duke supporter come to this board and try to talk Marshall recruiting?

Rifle has a good point about the residency of the HFC and that's particularly true in a town (<50K is not a 'city') like Huntington where upper and upper middle class incomes are in short supply.

Herdmeister said he sees Dan out an about but has never seen Doc.

Doc recruiting system: recruit DI level talent, albeit often talent with academic or behavior issues, where ever it might be, often Florida, the center of talent.

Dan recruiting system: 304 BOYS!!!! - HILLBILLY BALL!!!!! - recruit WV “talent”, and shore that up with Eastern European projects, none of which have DI level talent.

Of course you will see Dan at games. He is there to beat Concord and Glenville for the top players.

Doc recruiting system: recruit DI level talent, albeit often talent with academic or behavior issues, where ever it might be, often Florida, the center of talent.

Dan recruiting system: 304 BOYS!!!! - HILLBILLY BALL!!!!! - recruit WV “talent”, and shore that up with Eastern European projects, none of which have DI level talent.

Of course you will see Dan at games. He is there to beat Concord and Glenville for the top players.
the 304 Boys won an NCAA hoops game for the first time in school history. That is competing and winning on a national scale. Can Doc say that? When John Beilien was at WVU he recruited to a system. Do you think his son could have played on any other team at a major conference? No! There is more then one way to win. Some win by recruiting to system and some try to win the talent race. Dan is trying the system approach and when he has the right guys he has proven it works. BTW, you said WVU was demanding excellence and look like a sweet sixteen team. Well if they don't get it together they wont make the tourney. Why the hate? Really?

Most bracketology columns have WVU at a 3 or a 4 seed. Believing that WVU will not easily make the NCAA tournament, no lower than maybe a 5, even if they lose out, is illiterate.

Anyway, yes, ONCE, several YEARS ago, from 4th place, MU won the conference tournament and upset a woefully over-seeded team, before being assreamed in the next round. ONCE, a guy drew to an inside straight and got it. Neither is a plan for long term success.

But, really, get real. Winning ONE GAME in the NCAA tournament is “competing and winning on a national scale”. So if I rounded up 1000 random sports fans and asked who was competing and winning on a national scale, how many would answer “Marshall, they won one NCAA game, two years ago.” (Or would answer any of the other dozens of teams that did exactly the same, ONCE.

Most bracketology columns have WVU at a 3 or a 4 seed. Believing that WVU will not easily make the NCAA tournament, no lower than maybe a 5, even if they lose out, is illiterate.

Anyway, yes, ONCE, several YEARS ago, from 4th place, MU won the conference tournament and upset a woefully over-seeded team, before being assreamed in the next round. ONCE, a guy drew to an inside straight and got it. Neither is a plan for long term success.

But, really, get real. Winning ONE GAME in the NCAA tournament is “competing and winning on a national scale”. So if I rounded up 1000 random sports fans and asked who was competing and winning on a national scale, how many would answer “Marshall, they won one NCAA game, two years ago.” (Or would answer any of the other dozens of teams that did exactly the same, ONCE.
sounds to me like the football program is not happy about being pressured into recruiting 304 kids. Sounds like Doc!

Dan did it for one game. Has Doc? Nope! Has he made a run by getting to a big bowl like UCF or Boise? What I find interesting is you want to put down one of you own teams to make another team look better. That is sad!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
sounds to me like the football program is not happy about being pressured into recruiting 304 kids. Sounds like Doc!

Jesus.......

To prove you wrong once again, here is a breakdown of the roster.

Florida - 25 players (29.4%)

West Virginia - 13 players (15.3%)

Georgia - 8 players (9.4%)

Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky - 7 players each (8.2% each)

North Carolina - 3 players (3.5%)

Michigan, Tennesee, New Jersey, Indiana - 2 players each (2.4% each)

Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Illinois, California, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nigeria - 1 player each (1.2% each)

There are 17 states and 1 country represented on this list. In regards to those states, WV only trails Florida, which has the highest percentage of HS players recruited by D-I schools in America (according to the NCAA - see below).

So how in the hell do you think Doc doesn't recruit WV?

Please tell me about some EP kid that didn't receive a single D-I offer, but how they'd be a "good get for Marshall" though.

Please tell me how Doc needs to be "pressured into recruiting 304 kids."

C75-E305-C-6576-4-FE6-8-FB3-68-B6-DF0826-C7.jpg

Reactions: The Real SamC
Pot calling the kettle black, but there is no way I WANT to see the basketball team in the shape it is in. I would love for us to have a plan that results in the consistent and non-fluke success that our level of institutional and fan support justifies. We just don’t. However, the anti-Doc minority is totally different. Much of it, sad to say, born of delusion and much of anti-WVU zealousness.

Anybody who thinks making the Round of 32 (winning one game) is the equal of going to the Access Bowl, should be quiet.

Pot calling the kettle black, but there is no way I WANT to see the basketball team in the shape it is in. I would love for us to have a plan that results in the consistent and non-fluke success that our level of institutional and fan support justifies. We just don’t. However, the anti-Doc minority is totally different. Much of it, sad to say, born of delusion and much of anti-WVU zealousness.

Anybody who thinks making the Round of 32 (winning one game) is the equal of going to the Access Bowl, should be quiet.
I guess I don't understand. The hoops program has had great success the last two seasons and lost three of the schools all time greats. Sure its a rebuilding year but with a late season run this team could improve. What was your expectation this year? The football program had a bad season in 2016 after a huge run(and honestly that was a really bad season). So what are your expectations?

at this point wvu is not a sweet sixteen team

Jesus.......

To prove you wrong once again, here is a breakdown of the roster.

Florida - 25 players (29.4%)

West Virginia - 13 players (15.3%)

Georgia - 8 players (9.4%)

Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky - 7 players each (8.2% each)

North Carolina - 3 players (3.5%)

Michigan, Tennesee, New Jersey, Indiana - 2 players each (2.4% each)

Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Illinois, California, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nigeria - 1 player each (1.2% each)

There are 17 states and 1 country represented on this list. In regards to those states, WV only trails Florida, which has the highest percentage of HS players recruited by D-I schools in America (according to the NCAA - see below).

So how in the hell do you think Doc doesn't recruit WV?

Please tell me about some EP kid that didn't receive a single D-I offer, but how they'd be a "good get for Marshall" though.

Please tell me how Doc needs to be "pressured into recruiting 304 kids."

C75-E305-C-6576-4-FE6-8-FB3-68-B6-DF0826-C7.jpg
lol, you missed the point. Sam wants to talk down about hoops recruiting.

Well, we haven't made it to the access bowl yet, and I doubt that we ever will so, I guess the round of 32 trumps whatever fball has reached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT