ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when...

Pot calling the kettle black, but there is no way I WANT to see the basketball team in the shape it is in. I would love for us to have a plan that results in the consistent and non-fluke success that our level of institutional and fan support justifies.
But then what would you have to talk about, Sammy? You’re full of crap and everyone knows it. You don’t want any of the programs to be successful because you would have nothing to say. Then again, you’ll find a way to throw in a negative spin for any situation. You miserable son of a bitch.

They don't.

Why does a Duke supporter come to this board and try to talk Marshall recruiting?
its what a coach is supposed to do. Get out of your office. I have a little homework project. We all know who JoJo Doleman is and played against him in the EP. He was a good player. Now, go watch Blake Hartman Jr video compared to JoJo's sr film, and see who looks more impressive. Put Donte Grantham's video on? Shoot for that matter put Nick Longerbeam's video on from Jefferson. Nick logged almost 500 career tackles.

its what a coach is supposed to do. Get out of your office. I have a little homework project. We all know who JoJo Doleman is and played against him in the EP. He was a good player. Now, go watch Blake Hartman Jr video compared to JoJo's sr film, and see who looks more impressive. Put Donte Grantham's video on? Shoot for that matter put Nick Longerbeam's video on from Jefferson. Nick logged almost 500 career tackles.

I’ve already destroyed your theory that Marshall doesn’t recruit WV so why are you still going on with this nonsense?

I think what 5150 really wants, is for Marshall to heavily recruit the eastern panhandle. Certainly, there's some talent up that way, but what I feel most here fail to realize, is that the eastern panhandle is pretty far away from Huntington, WV. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing there's not a lot of Herd football players from that particular area, and I'll include Pennsylvania and Maryland within the mix. If you look at Huntington on the map, you can see that there's all of Ohio, most of Indiana, parts of Michigan (including Ann Arbor), Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, that are within similar distance as Martinsburg, WV. I think it's pretty known that most of the football recruiting budget is isolated within the Southern states. Yeah, you can still recruit kids from the panhandle area, but typically, you have to visit them often, in order to secure a commitment, which makes it tough within a limited recruiting budget.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Certainly, there's some talent up that way, but what I feel most here fail to realize, is that the eastern panhandle is pretty far away from Huntington, WV.

You are not wrong. Simply looking at who makes the playoffs or wins the state awards tells us that. But people forget that there are probably 10 or 12 I-A programs, and a host of I-AA programs far closer than MU; that only one or two non-athletes out of those huge HSs is going to even consider MU as a school choice; and that MU is not part of the scene over there. DC TV, no radio coverage, no media coverage. Occasional anti-Marshall spew on Raese Radio, that is all. MU is just not a local team.
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing there's not a lot of Herd football players from that particular area, and I'll include Pennsylvania and Maryland within the mix.

Looking at the 2019 roster, one kid from Martinsburg, one kid from Dumfries, VA (suburban DC). It is just not a thing.

We are not Clemson or Purdue or Auburn. Schools that have a state wide general student draw, a state wide fan following, and a state wide role, despite being not named for the state. We are what we are, and, again, expecting some kid who has never been west of Hancock, MD in his life to want to play for MU because we have the same color license plates is dumb.

I’ve already destroyed your theory that Marshall doesn’t recruit WV so why are you still going on with this nonsense?
You are not wrong. Simply looking at who makes the playoffs or wins the state awards tells us that. But people forget that there are probably 10 or 12 I-A programs, and a host of I-AA programs far closer than MU; that only one or two non-athletes out of those huge HSs is going to even consider MU as a school choice; and that MU is not part of the scene over there. DC TV, no radio coverage, no media coverage. Occasional anti-Marshall spew on Raese Radio, that is all. MU is just not a local team.

Looking at the 2019 roster, one kid from Martinsburg, one kid from Dumfries, VA (suburban DC). It is just not a thing.

We are not Clemson or Purdue or Auburn. Schools that have a state wide general student draw, a state wide fan following, and a state wide role, despite being not named for the state. We are what we are, and, again, expecting some kid who has never been west of Hancock, MD in his life to want to play for MU because we have the same color license plates is dumb.
JoJo Doleman is from Winchester Va which is 30 miles south of Martinsburg. Martinsburg plays his high school every year. Jo was good in high school but most were shocked he got a D1 offer. There are opportunities in the area

JoJo Doleman is from Winchester Va which is 30 miles south of Martinsburg. Martinsburg plays his high school every year. Jo was good in high school but most were shocked he got a D1 offer. There are opportunities in the area

By most, are you talking actual football coaches or people in the stands?

Reactions: 19MU88
By most, are you talking actual football coaches or people in the stands?
Martinsburgs QB Grant Harman rushed for 160 yards in that game and it was all between the tackles. I spoke to an area highs school coach that watched them on film. He had no other D1 offers.

Martinsburgs QB Grant Harman rushed for 160 yards in that game and it was all between the tackles. I spoke to an area highs school coach that watched them on film. He had no other D1 offers.

If you were at that game, then you probably saw him reaggravate his injured hamstring on what was like a 60-yard TD run.....which limited him defensively.

All I can tell you is that he was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Class 4 Northwestern District and Region 4C and a First-team VHSL Class 4 All-State selection as a junior in 2017 and was Second-team All-state in 2018, a year in which Doleman battled injury and recorded 67 tackles, two sacks and an interception.

Doleman also rushed for 641 yards and 20 touchdowns in his final two seasons as a fullback.

If you were at that game, then you probably saw him reaggravate his injured hamstring on what was like a 60-yard TD run.....which limited him defensively.

All I can tell you is that he was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Class 4 Northwestern District and Region 4C and a First-team VHSL Class 4 All-State selection as a junior in 2017 and was Second-team All-state in 2018, a year in which Doleman battled injury and recorded 67 tackles, two sacks and an interception.

Doleman also rushed for 641 yards and 20 touchdowns in his final two seasons as a fullback.
lol, where did you hear that? Look, he never beat Martinsburg. He had no other D1 offers. So what you saying, is Doc gives a Va kid the benefit of the doubt on having a bad season but a kid 20 miles away who kicked his tail for three years in Martinsburg does not get that same benefit?

I didn’t hear that anywhere.

The hamstring I saw on game film and Doleman confirmed it.

The all-state portion of my post came from the newspaper.
That is good info on the hammy. I just watched part of the Martinsburg film from his Jr year and he again did not look good. The Martinsburg lineman Lucas who was a soph at the time took him to school. Lucas is playing at Shepherd next season. He was not doing much reading and reacting they had him blizing a lot. Look I hope the kid does well but the high school coach I just spoke to said he is a rich mans Nick Longerbeam from Jeffrson. Longerbeam had a much more productive career but not as athletic as Doleman. Like I said, Blake Hartman is a rising Sr. and his film just stands out. He is not as big as the Payne kid from Poca but he is just as productive and plays AAA ball(and not AA). Doleman's film does not pop. His hammy issue explains his senior season but the film I watched on his Jr year is not much different.

Again, he was voted 4A DPOTY in his district as a junior so.......
great, but he did not show well against Martinsburg, They never beat them. I hope it works out but he just does not pop on film like Grantham or Hartman on defense.

That’s fine. I can let you and random both know why I questioned his “like.” Seems to be common place for him to like something that seems to demean the head coach of our football team. I was curious as to what he found negative about this particular post. Pretty simple really.

Aaron, I have know HerdMeister for a long time
. He has NEVER [in my company] said anything negative about any coach at Marshall....and for sure Doc.

PLEASE for the love of John Marshall...let´s not turn this forum into a Zoo like what we have in Washington DC with our Congress and candidates for President in 2020.

WE ARE.......PEACE & LOVE and ..................MARSHALL

I approved this and paid for this post.....

HerdZilla22

So Doc should shop at Kroger in Huntington when he lives in Hurricane?

I've ran into Doc, Coach Cline, Coach Legg and Coach Goebbel (when they were here) in Hurricane as this is where they live(d).

I've never seen Dan in Hurricane once. Is that wrong of him? No, he simply does not live here.

I have seen Dan at Sleepy Hollow GC in Hurricane.....to be factual.

HerdZilla22

Are we really having an argument about where coaches play golf?

The coaches, including assistants, baseball, soccer, women, whatever, and the AD are expected to turn out for a half-dozen Big Green functions in the spring. Other than that, I don’t care if they play golf at all.

As to appearing in the community, be that Huntington, Teays Valley, or Martinsburg, not their job. Job is to WIN BALL GAMES.

As to showing up at a HS game, any sport, it can be a way to show a kid you are really interested in them, but, especially in football, it is not done that way any more.

Are we really having an argument about where coaches play golf?

The coaches, including assistants, baseball, soccer, women, whatever, and the AD are expected to turn out for a half-dozen Big Green functions in the spring. Other than that, I don’t care if they play golf at all.

As to appearing in the community, be that Huntington, Teays Valley, or Martinsburg, not their job. Job is to WIN BALL GAMES.

As to showing up at a HS game, any sport, it can be a way to show a kid you are really interested in them, but, especially in football, it is not done that way any more.

Perhaps, not by coaches at Marshall---but, in N & S Carolina---college coaches still attend high school games, community functions, etc ====TO BE SEEN and appearing INTERESTED in the Players & the Community!

Going on about 5-6 BIG GREEN Tour functions is not enough! Hell, they have a captive audience there!

Other, than Dan...most of our football, basketball coaches & AD do not enjoy playing golf! Takes too much time!

HerdZilla22

You've clearly never read a full FBS head coach's contract or been involved in college athletics.

No, I get your point. You come here to troll our football coach.

Have you ever seen Dana Holgersen or Neal Brown at the state championship?

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I stumbled across it and this comment caught my eye...

Please don’t tell me we’re trying to paint Doc in the same league as either of those two coaches. Maybe before he came here, just maybe.. but he isn’t even on the same planet as those two.

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I stumbled across it and this comment caught my eye...

Please don’t tell me we’re trying to paint Doc in the same league as either of those two coaches. Maybe before he came here, just maybe.. but he isn’t even on the same planet as those two.

We're not, but without looking at the numbers I'd bet you could easily argue that Doc has been more successful than Dana and just as successful as Neal Brown.

We're not, but without looking at the numbers I'd bet you could easily argue that Doc has been more successful than Dana and just as successful as Neal Brown.

Possibly but Brown has started with two bad programs, whereas Doc has one..

Bottom line is absolutely no one would take Doc over Brown, Doc over Dana could definitely spark a debate tho..

Brown over Doc is a no brainer. I don't recall any P5 coming after Doc.
I'd take Doc over Dana; not because I think Docs a better coach, just that Dana is slimy and Doc's an old school loyal guy. jmo.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Bottom line is absolutely no one would take Doc over Brown, Doc over Dana could definitely spark a debate tho..
What’s the argument for Doc over Dana? Dana won an orange bowl and beat 10 ranked teams while punching up in conference during his time at WVU. Doc can’t even beat Charlotte to secure a championship game berth.

Troy was not a bad program. They had taken a step back in recent years, but Blakeney won his fair share of games there prior to Brown's arrival.

And WVU is anything but a bad program. Their brand stretches from coast to coast and financially speaking they're growing. Yes, they've struggled for the most part since joining the Big 12, but that was expected. That doesn't necessarily mean their program was bad though. As much as I can't stand those pricks, the right coach could easily have them winning more games than not.

What’s the argument for Doc over Dana? Dana won an orange bowl and beat 10 ranked teams while punching up in conference during his time at WVU. Doc can’t even beat Charlotte to secure a championship game berth.

I would take Dana over Doc, I just said there’s an argument to be made but I think that’s more of an attitude/character decision.

Dana also took over a loaded roster as they were basically coming off their best stretch of football in WVU history.

It would've been interesting to see how Doc's earlier years would've looked had his predecessor been extremely successful.

Dana also took over a loaded roster as they were basically coming off their best stretch of football in WVU history.

It would've been interesting to see how Doc's earlier years would've looked had his predecessor been extremely successful.

Dana took over for Bill Stewart so I’m not sure that’s accurate, maybe if he’d followed Rich Rod but Stewart was taking several steps back each year.

Rich Rod won 10+ games each of his last three years and in his final six years, never finished worse than second in his conference. Stewart was Mr. 9-4 but also never finished worse than second in his conference, but he never won 10+ games. Stewart was a decent coach but he played a huge role in the fall from Rich rod to Dana.. thanks for making me defend Dana..

Dana took over for Bill Stewart so I’m not sure that’s accurate, maybe if he’d followed Rich Rod but Stewart was taking several steps back each year.

Rich Rod won 10+ games each of his last three years and in his final six years, never finished worse than second in his conference. Stewart was Mr. 9-4 but also never finished worse than second in his conference, but he never won 10+ games. Stewart was a decent coach but he played a huge role in the fall from Rich rod to Dana.. thanks for making me defend Dana..

They averaged 10 wins/season (two BCS bowl victories as well) for the six seasons previous to Dana's hire. Yes, they took a step back, but it was a very small step.

They averaged 10 wins/season (two BCS bowl victories as well) for the six seasons previous to Dana's hire. Yes, they took a step back, but it was a very small step.

Bill Stewart went 9-4 every year he coached in Morgantown, with no BCS appearances to his credit.. his claim to fame was being named the interim in the Fiesta bowl, the year WVU beat Oklahoma, also the year Rich Rod bolted.. we all know that game and the results were emotion driving and had nothing to do with Bills ability to coach. And of course, that team was a top ten team..

So in his final three years, Bill went 27-12, whereas Rich went 32-5. Bill took his team to zero BCS games and guided his program to a top 25 end of season ranking twice. Rich took his team to two BCS games in his final three years and finished with a top 10 team every one of those years.

Let’s not try to paint Dana as inheriting a full cupboard, because he didn’t.

But let’s also not allow this to get away from the real point, Dana is a better college head coach than Doc. If that wasn’t the case, other programs would’ve come for Doc and Marshall wouldn’t have been the top of the mountain for him.

Reactions: Dorrej
Bill Stewart went 9-4 every year he coached in Morgantown, with no BCS appearances to his credit.. his claim to fame was being named the interim in the Fiesta bowl, the year WVU beat Oklahoma, also the year Rich Rod bolted.. we all know that game and the results were emotion driving and had nothing to do with Bills ability to coach. And of course, that team was a top ten team..

So in his final three years, Bill went 27-12, whereas Rich went 32-5. Bill took his team to zero BCS games and guided his program to a top 25 end of season ranking twice. Rich took his team to two BCS games in his final three years and finished with a top 10 team every one of those years.

Let’s not try to paint Dana as inheriting a full cupboard, because he didn’t.

But let’s also not allow this to get away from the real point, Dana is a better college head coach than Doc. If that wasn’t the case, other programs would’ve come for Doc and Marshall wouldn’t have been the top of the mountain for him.

Bill Stewart has nothing to do with it. People (recruits) still associated WVU with success based off what they had recently done. Dana could still go to a kid and say, “We just best Georgia and Oklahoma. Come play for us.”

In 2010, Doc couldn’t go to a kid and say, “Look what we did in 1999.” Those kids were 7 years old then and had no clue who Marshall was.

That’s the point.

Bill Stewart has nothing to do with it. People (recruits) still associated WVU with success based off what they had recently done. Dana could still go to a kid and say, “We just best Georgia and Oklahoma. Come play for us.”

In 2010, Doc couldn’t go to a kid and say, “Look what we did in 1999.” Those kids were 7 years old then and had no clue who Marshall was.

That’s the point.
What’s he saying now? “Look what we did in 2014. Won a championship and damn near made a Fiesta Bowl. Too bad we lost to a 6-5 team on senior night.” Those kids were 11 then and had no clue who Marshall was.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT