ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when...

Bill Stewart has nothing to do with it. People (recruits) still associated WVU with success based off what they had recently done. Dana could still go to a kid and say, “We just best Georgia and Oklahoma. Come play for us.”

In 2010, Doc couldn’t go to a kid and say, “Look what we did in 1999.” Those kids were 7 years old then and had no clue who Marshall was.

That’s the point.

Marshall went 11-2 in 2001 and 2002, both time finishing in the top 25.. Doc became head coach in 2010, so why couldn’t he make the same claims to past success?

Especially when Dana came to Morgantown in 2011 but you’d like him to market past victories over Oklahoma (2008) and Georgia (2005), both of which occurred in bowl games with little to nothing on the line?

What’s he saying now? “Look what we did in 2014. Won a championship and damn near made a Fiesta Bowl. Too bad we lost to a 6-5 team on senior night.” Those kids were 11 then and had no clue who Marshall was.

As it stands, our kids won’t have much more in the ways of a clue who Marshall is.. at least not football wise.

What’s he saying now? “Look what we did in 2014. Won a championship and damn near made a Fiesta Bowl. Too bad we lost to a 6-5 team on senior night.” Those kids were 11 then and had no clue who Marshall was.

We were never getting the access bid no matter what happened that Friday afternoon. We still would've ended up playing NIU in Florida and people would still be bitching about not playing Illinois.

Marshall went 11-2 in 2001 and 2002, both time finishing in the top 25.. Doc became head coach in 2010, so why couldn’t he make the same claims to past success?

Especially when Dana came to Morgantown in 2011 but you’d like him to market past victories over Oklahoma (2008) and Georgia (2005), both of which occurred in bowl games with little to nothing on the line?

The difference is that in between 2002 and 2010, Marshall went 36-47 with one bowl appearance. Between the end of the 2007 season and 2010, WVU went 28-12 with 4 bowl apperances (one of which was a BCS bowl win).

There's a huge difference. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

The difference is that in between 2002 and 2010, Marshall went 36-47 with one bowl appearance. Between the end of the 2007 season and 2010, WVU went 28-12 with 4 bowl apperances (one of which was a BCS bowl win).

There's a huge difference. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

Your missing the point..

Your claim was Dana could say, in 2012 or later, “hey we beat Oklahoma and Georgia, come play for us”. But those victories were in 2005 with Georgia or 2008 with Oklahoma (every other matchup since The Sooners have taken them to the woodshed).

The point is you can’t play it both ways, if Dana can use past recent success why can’t Marshall?

Because we all know WVU hasn’t done anything since that 2008 Bowl with over Oklahoma.

I also don’t understand why it seems like the moderators feel the need to insult those who question them, maybe it’s just me? I have no issues being told I’m wrong, as I’ve said multiple times I’m new but there seem to be a lot of times the moderators act like they are high and mighty, whereas the members (those who help make sure they have that job) are looked at as village idiots.

Your missing the point..

Your claim was Dana could say, in 2012 or later, “hey we beat Oklahoma and Georgia, come play for us”. But those victories were in 2005 with Georgia or 2008 with Oklahoma (every other matchup since The Sooners have taken them to the woodshed).

The point is you can’t play it both ways, if Dana can use past recent success why can’t Marshall?

Because we all know WVU hasn’t done anything since that 2008 Bowl with over Oklahoma.

I also don’t understand why it seems like the moderators feel the need to insult those who question them, maybe it’s just me? I have no issues being told I’m wrong, as I’ve said multiple times I’m new but there seem to be a lot of times the moderators act like they are high and mighty, whereas the members (those who help make sure they have that job) are looked at as village idiots.

Dana’s first year was 2011 which is only 3 years after the 2008 won over Georgia.

Doc’s first year was 2010 which is 8 years after 2002 (the last season Marshall had done anything worth mentioning).

Incoming recruits would’ve FR in high school for Dana whereas they would’ve been 5th graders for Doc.

There’s a difference in how relatable the two are.

Dana’s first year was 2011 which is only 3 years after the 2008 won over Georgia.

Doc’s first year was 2010 which is 8 years after 2002 (the last season Marshall had done anything worth mentioning).

Incoming recruits would’ve FR in high school for Dana whereas they would’ve been 5th graders for Doc.

There’s a difference in how relatable the two are.

Inaccurate..

The WVU win over Georgia was 2005, I know because I’m a Georgia fan. It was the Sugar Bowl 38-35. Dana’s first season was 2012, making it a 7 year gap.

Roughly the same time span as the 2001-2002 period I referenced in relation to Docs first season. So honestly, not much of a gap.. a year, maybe two tops.

But ultimately, I think we can agree that individual victories are among the most overrated tactics in recruiting.

Last edited:
Inaccurate..

The WVU win over Georgia was 2005, I know because I’m a Georgia fan. It was the Sugar Bowl 38-35. Dana’s first season was 2012, making it a 7 year gap.

Roughly the same time span as the 2001-2002 period I referenced in relation to Docs first season. So honestly, not much of a gap.. a year, maybe two tops.

But ultimately, I think we can agree that individual victories are among the most overrated tactics in recruiting.

Sorry, Oklahoma.

Dana won the Football Writers Association of America Coach of the Year in 2011 as the HC of WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT