ADVERTISEMENT

Stewarts gone?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Internet rumors say MU has cancelled concession contract with Stewarts Hot Dogs due to a petition signed by 700 people, a third of them non-locals, on some website, due to the owner's (Del. John Mandt) political and religious views.

Reactions: putnam green
If true, I may cancel my season tickets and follow the games on tv (well, Facebook).

Not because I love Stewart’s. Not because these people are right or wrong. But because they’ve allowed 700 or so morons to control what thousands of others may choose to spend their money on.

This society of allowing the loud minority have control is getting out of hand. And it’s the places that allow this to happen (such as Marshall in this case, if true) are the biggest problem.

This decision has nothing to do with Marshall University.

Sodexho, the University's food service provider, chose to not renew THEIR contract with Stewart's.

No one affiliated with Marshall University had any influence on this decision.

I have no idea what influenced Sodexho's decision, but to hold this against Marshall would be simply wrong and misinformed.

Sodexho, the University's food service provider, chose to not renew THEIR contract with Stewart's.

I have no idea what influenced Sodexho's decision, but to hold this against Marshall would be simply wrong and misinformed.

MU contracts Sodexho therefore this decision falls back to Marshall.
I’m familiar with this story and if the OP is correct then this is nothing more than Old Main running for the weeds with tail tucked between their legs.

I’m familiar with this story and if the OP is correct then this is nothing more than Old Main running for the weeds with tail tucked between their legs.

Do you have any idea what a large corporation Sodexo is? $23b in revenue last year. They DGAF what anyone at Marshall says. Marshall can choose not to renew the contract when the time comes, but that is about it.

Sodexho has a non compete clause, so any food vendor that is even allowed to breathe on campus is lucky.

I’m fairly neutral on the quality of Stewart’s hotdogs. There are better in this area. That said, Gino’s pizza was hit with some shrapnel in this debate. Hey now! That’s getting personal!

Also, it’s funny that I read many of your posts in a voice I form in my head based on your avatar (if i don’t know you obviously). For instance, I read every post by Josh Stowers in the voice of Dwight Schrute.

Fair enough and good to hear.

I have to add Jim's watered down spaghetti to that list as well

Gotta agree with you. When I moved to Huntington in the early 90's all I heard about, was how good Jim's Spaghetti House was. Now Jim was a hell of a businessman and marketer, greeting everyone who came into his restaurant, but the Spaghetti had never been anywhere near an Italian

If true, I may cancel my season tickets and follow the games on tv (well, Facebook).

Not because I love Stewart’s. Not because these people are right or wrong. But because they’ve allowed 700 or so morons to control what thousands of others may choose to spend their money on.

This society of allowing the loud minority have control is getting out of hand. And it’s the places that allow this to happen (such as Marshall in this case, if true) are the biggest problem.

If you're willing to give up all that because of hot dogs then wow.

*Edit

I read your response.

Welcome back!

Last edited:
I don't think people realize how much Sodexo has been involved with elements relating to MU athletics.
Haven't they financed some of the upgrades to the facilities?

First, it's Sodexo. Second, this comment is very misleading. While Sodexo holds the contract to all food service at Marshall, Marshall pulls the purse strings. In the past, whatever Marshall has wanted, Sodexo has provided. If Marshall wanted Stewart's to be served at Marshall athletic events, it would happen. To say otherwise is 100% inaccurate.

I don't think people realize how much Sodexo has been involved with elements relating to MU athletics.
Haven't they financed some of the upgrades to the facilities?

Yes. They are heavily involved in all food service on campus including sporting events. You will ALWAYS see huge investments in the dining areas of campus when it's time for a new contract.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
First, it's Sodexo. Second, this comment is very misleading. While Sodexo holds the contract to all food service at Marshall, Marshall pulls the purse strings. In the past, whatever Marshall has wanted, Sodexo has provided. If Marshall wanted Stewart's to be served at Marshall athletic events, it would happen. To say otherwise is 100% inaccurate.

Yeah, that was an auto-correct on my phone. One of my customer's name is Sodexho. Nonetheless, Marshall had no say so in this and were not given the option to say otherwise. As others have stated, Marshall University is a drop in the bucket for them.

Reactions: ATOesMU
Yeah, that was an auto-correct on my phone. One of my customer's name is Sodexho. Nonetheless, Marshall had no say so in this and were not given the option to say otherwise. As others have stated, Marshall University is a drop in the bucket for them.

This is 100% incorrect. I worked at Marshall for 10+ years and know everybody involved in the Sodexo contract. If Marshall wanted Stewart's, they would have Stewarts.

I love me some Stewies, a mug of that ice cold root beer on the drivers door glass. Ginos - the secrets in the grease! Loved Ginos pizza bread as well when I was in high school (HEHS) and the Ginos was just across the street. Wiggins was pretty decent when I was passing through. I don't think Del Mandt's hot dog biz is dependent on concourse sales inside the womb of the Joan! Take a stroll through the West Lot on home game Saturdays this fall and count the number of boxes of Stewarts dogs wrapped in their napkin - 12 for $12? That will sell strong all day long!! Go HERD !!!

A spokesperson for Marshall University released the following statement Tuesday afternoon, “Marshall University has no contractual agreement with Mr. Mandt. The contract is between Stewarts and Sodexo, a state-selected vendor for food service on our campus.“

A spokesperson for Marshall University released the following statement Tuesday afternoon, “Marshall University has no contractual agreement with Mr. Mandt. The contract is between Stewarts and Sodexo, a state-selected vendor for food service on our campus.“
I believe them too.

While The Herald-Dispatch has not been able to reach Sodexo or Stewarts for comment, John Mandt Jr., owner of Stewarts, said on a local radio show Tuesday morning the contract was ended Friday after a compromise could not be reached.

“We met with a regional manager and the campus manager…They told me we had a few differences, and I can’t get into those right now – I don’t want to because there are a few other things going on,” Mandt said. “…There was an old contract that we had signed, gosh, back in 2010 that our portion of what they charge at $3.50, our portion was 74 cents. People think that there can be a whole lot to be made over there – there can, if you sell a lot of product. But as long as Marshall has the open door policy where you can go in and out, for vendors over there, it makes it a little bit more difficult to know what you are going to sell.

“In the contract, it calls for mutually agreed upon. When the price was raised to $4, we changed what our portion would be. Not much more but a little bit more. Contractually they wanted to go back and honor that old price, which for nine years they paid the newer price.”

Mandt said he paid for the wieners and buns, bought locally. Stewarts also supplied equipment and staffed two workers on either side of the stadium.

“They did turn around and give me the option at the 74 cents, said we will give you a stand at each side or we can work something out – well I’m going from 11 to two stands. How does that help our customer? How does that help the fans?”

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/_za...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

While The Herald-Dispatch has not been able to reach Sodexo or Stewarts for comment, John Mandt Jr., owner of Stewarts, said on a local radio show Tuesday morning the contract was ended Friday after a compromise could not be reached.

“We met with a regional manager and the campus manager…They told me we had a few differences, and I can’t get into those right now – I don’t want to because there are a few other things going on,” Mandt said. “…There was an old contract that we had signed, gosh, back in 2010 that our portion of what they charge at $3.50, our portion was 74 cents. People think that there can be a whole lot to be made over there – there can, if you sell a lot of product. But as long as Marshall has the open door policy where you can go in and out, for vendors over there, it makes it a little bit more difficult to know what you are going to sell.

“In the contract, it calls for mutually agreed upon. When the price was raised to $4, we changed what our portion would be. Not much more but a little bit more. Contractually they wanted to go back and honor that old price, which for nine years they paid the newer price.”

Mandt said he paid for the wieners and buns, bought locally. Stewarts also supplied equipment and staffed two workers on either side of the stadium.

“They did turn around and give me the option at the 74 cents, said we will give you a stand at each side or we can work something out – well I’m going from 11 to two stands. How does that help our customer? How does that help the fans?”

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/_za...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
its the big C takeover just like Barnes and Noble did with the Bookstores on Campuses!

Problems with the country and our society as a whole supersede any fandom ... priorities buddy.

But since Josh has explained that this wasn’t a Marshall knee-jerk reaction to the outspoken few, then no worries on that front.

That's good. I wouldn't stop being a fan over the decision of a multi-national French corporation, and I am glad you won't either.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT