ADVERTISEMENT

Stewarts gone?

Gotta agree with you. When I moved to Huntington in the early 90's all I heard about, was how good Jim's Spaghetti House was. Now Jim was a hell of a businessman and marketer, greeting everyone who came into his restaurant, but the Spaghetti had never been anywhere near an Italian
I am pretty sure that the owner was Lebanese, not Italian.

First, it's Sodexo. Second, this comment is very misleading. While Sodexo holds the contract to all food service at Marshall, Marshall pulls the purse strings. In the past, whatever Marshall has wanted, Sodexo has provided. If Marshall wanted Stewart's to be served at Marshall athletic events, it would happen. To say otherwise is 100% inaccurate.

Agreed. No one with brain activity believes the Marshall company line.

Reactions: mlblack16.
This decision has nothing to do with Marshall University.

Sodexho, the University's food service provider, chose to not renew THEIR contract with Stewart's.

No one affiliated with Marshall University had any influence on this decision.

I have no idea what influenced Sodexho's decision, but to hold this against Marshall would be simply wrong and misinformed.
~
I have not read all of the replies....however...why can't "people" contact Sodexho and voice their displeasure with this decision?

Coach Stowers, on this issue, is correct. The decision not to renew the contract with Stewart’s was theirs. Now let’s mi e on. What is going to replace those gawd awful hot dogs?

That's good. I wouldn't stop being a fan over the decision of a multi-national French corporation, and I am glad you won't either.
Me either. At the end of the day is a damn hot dog. Hot damn, we have one conference championship in umpteen years and we are like watching paint dry. At one time we were the worst program in the country, lost the entire football program, had old worn out stadium with portable shitters but by God people are going to pack it in over a damn hot dog.

Here is a hint you can damn near walk to from the stadium and buy one of those hot dogs. Hell, you can buy a dozen of them. Hell, you can mail order them. Problem solved!

I like to bitch. Believe me, but I am not going to not be a fan of my school over a damn hot dog.

Coach Stowers, on this issue, is correct. The decision not to renew the contract with Stewart’s was theirs. Now let’s mi e on. What is going to replace those gawd awful hot dogs?

Bombshells BBQ & Burgers was posting on Facebook that they will be served at 3 locations at Marshall games.

If a hot dog is going to break the deal for people attending a game.....I’m going to believe there are not many Marshall fans in that camp. Plus those dogs are just a concession filler in the world of stadium food.

Sad thing is those are the types who call themselves long time fans.

Do you have any idea what a large corporation Sodexo is? $23b in revenue last year. They DGAF what anyone at Marshall says. Marshall can choose not to renew the contract when the time comes, but that is about it.

Still, they are not in the business of pissing off their clients. Marshall isn't as huge as some of Sodexo's contracts, but it is certainly a big enough contract that Aramark or a handful of others are always chomping at the bit to come in and take from a dissatisfied client. Sodexo knows this and will try its best not to allow it to happen. Marshall can put pressure on what it wants from their services and Sodexo will likely comply, as long as it is within reason.

Yeah, that was an auto-correct on my phone. One of my customer's name is Sodexho. Nonetheless, Marshall had no say so in this and were not given the option to say otherwise. As others have stated, Marshall University is a drop in the bucket for them.

You are merely speculating. Clearly you do not understand P/L accounts and how contracted service companies operate. Marshall has say so in most of what occurs. You're acting like Sodexo is the client when it's the other way around. Now then, if something is not important enough to Marshall to push back when Sodexo approaches its client and says, "we would like to terminate concessions for ______ ," that's an entirely different possibility. Sodexo could have sweetened the pot by saying they will donate towards construction of something, and, in turn, Marshall agrees not to allow certain vendors to continue, that's also a likely scenario on how this happened.

Reactions: MarshallManiac
I have to add Jim's watered down spaghetti to that list as well
that's what I was wondering. folks bent out of shape over a hot dog. I can't remember last time I've eaten anything inside a stadium. Plus, it messes up the pregame beer buzz.
Though I have never had a "beer buzz" I also never eat anything inside the arena or the stadium. I leave my house and get to my seat about 30 mins before game time. I stay in my seat until the final whistle blows then, depending on the time, I head out to a fine restaurant for dinner. In the case of a night game, like most basketball games and some football, I have the nice dinner first

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Though I have never had a "beer buzz" I also never eat anything inside the arena or the stadium. I leave my house and get to my seat about 30 mins before game time. I stay in my seat until the final whistle blows then, depending on the time, I head out to a fine restaurant for dinner. In the case of a night game, like most basketball games and some football, I have the nice dinner first

Fine restaurant after or before a game, you must have your own plane. :D

that's what I was wondering. folks bent out of shape over a hot dog. I can't remember last time I've eaten anything inside a stadium. Plus, it messes up the pregame beer buzz.

I couldn't care less about whether or not Stewart's hot dogs are served in the stadium. I just know how that stuff works and will be damned if I let Coach Stowers keep talking like he knows what the hell he is saying. He is simply trying to toe the company line and be a good ambassador for Marshall. I can respect that, but not when it comes to just making shit up and hoping people will be uninformed enough to believe it.

My advice to those who do care about the food would be to complain to Marshall, not Sodexo. Marshall is the client and dictates what they want. Sometimes decisions look good on paper, but backfire when executed. I sincerely doubt there was any ill intentions behind this decision.

You are merely speculating. Clearly you do not understand P/L accounts and how contracted service companies operate. Marshall has say so in most of what occurs. You're acting like Sodexo is the client when it's the other way around. Now then, if something is not important enough to Marshall to push back when Sodexo approaches its client and says, "we would like to terminate concessions for ______ ," that's an entirely different possibility. Sodexo could have sweetened the pot by saying they will donate towards construction of something, and, in turn, Marshall agrees not to allow certain vendors to continue, that's also a likely scenario on how this happened.

Marshall was told they would no longer be serving Stewart's hot dogs at university events and that was basically the end of the conversation.

When my company terminates/changes vendors, I tell the same thing to my customers and it works just fine.

Sure there may be some blow back from time to time, but it seldom, if ever, changes the outcome.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Bad business move on Stewart's part. Gays like wieners and buns too.

I heard the female fans were more partial to the larger wiener of the Thunder Dog.

Hearing Bombshells will be selling more of their good stuff at the games. That's a huge upgrade.

Get Hillbilly Hot Dogs....The Home Wrecker could be the official hot dog of Herd sports. I’ve never eaten there but it was on the Food Network.

Still, they are not in the business of pissing off their clients. Marshall isn't as huge as some of Sodexo's contracts, but it is certainly a big enough contract that Aramark or a handful of others are always chomping at the bit to come in and take from a dissatisfied client. Sodexo knows this and will try its best not to allow it to happen. Marshall can put pressure on what it wants from their services and Sodexo will likely comply, as long as it is within reason.

This. Exactly this. There is a reason Sodexo just completely remodeled the food court in two different areas on campus...because Marshall wanted it. That was what they did to get a renewed contract last year. Again, if Marshall wanted Stewart's, they would get Stewart's.

This. Exactly this. There is a reason Sodexo just completely remodeled the food court in two different areas on campus...because Marshall wanted it. That was what they did to get a renewed contract last year. Again, if Marshall wanted Stewart's, they would get Stewart's.
Oh I think Marshall at the end of the day dumped Stewarts and put the blame of Sodexo as an out. Wasn't us. Sodexo. If Marshall wanted Stewarts hot dogs at the games they would have Stewarts hot dogs at the games.

I wonder if this will leave them scrambling to provide concessions like a hot dog or burger, or if they have something already in place?

Oh I think Marshall at the end of the day dumped Stewarts and put the blame of Sodexo as an out. Wasn't us. Sodexo. If Marshall wanted Stewarts hot dogs at the games they would have Stewarts hot dogs at the games.

Exactly...it's kinda like when they said "Mark Snyder resigned" or "We couldn't suspend that kid that raped 3 girls."

Reactions: The Real SamC
I can't believe so many are worried about a hot dog. Who cares and who cares who pulled the plug. I would be more worried about what they are selling and if they can get it around the stadium. Quite frankly I thought it was disgusting but that was me. I would prefer the cheesesteak from the vendor on the west side near the beer garden.

UK is going to sell Chik Fil A at their stadium this year. I wish we would do that. Of course...I very seldom buy anything more than a popcorn at a game so I don't have to worry about what food is or is not there.

Reactions: Elkview
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT