ADVERTISEMENT

Stewarts gone?

I can't believe so many are worried about a hot dog. Who cares and who cares who pulled the plug. I would be more worried about what they are selling and if they can get it around the stadium. Quite frankly I thought it was disgusting but that was me. I would prefer the cheesesteak from the vendor on the west side near the beer garden.

UK is going to sell Chik Fil A at their stadium this year. I wish we would do that. Of course...I very seldom buy anything more than a popcorn at a game so I don't have to worry about what food is or is not there.

Personally, I don't even live in Huntington any more and Stewart's is definitely no my "go-to" place for hot dogs. However, for some, it's about nostalgia. For instance, my uncle moved away from Huntington years ago but always tries to come back for a game. When he goes to a game he enjoys Stewart's, Gino's and Marshall football because he may only get it once a year, if that. So I don't think it's hard to understand why people are upset. You may not love Stewart's. The people discussing it may. For me, if I'm at a Marshall game I will probably tailgate somewhere or eat outside of the stadium. I would have to be pretty desperate to eat a Thunderdog. I just don't care for the misinformation. I know for a fact, because I know the people involved, that Marshall has a say in the vendors that are used by Sodexo. That's why La Famiglia is now in the student center. That's why Sodexo does renovations around contract time every 10 years or so...because Marshall demands those things for the company that is going to win the contract for food service.

Still, they are not in the business of pissing off their clients. Marshall isn't as huge as some of Sodexo's contracts, but it is certainly a big enough contract that Aramark or a handful of others are always chomping at the bit to come in and take from a dissatisfied client. Sodexo knows this and will try its best not to allow it to happen. Marshall can put pressure on what it wants from their services and Sodexo will likely comply, as long as it is within reason.

I doubt Marshall has the stroke to tell a giant corporation that it has to sell Rootin' Tootin' Trumpin' Hotdogs. Which is what Junior has decided to portray himself as, as such seems to win votes at the moment.

But it turns out that like most things in capitalism, it came down to dollars and cents. Oh well.

Anybody who does not understand that decisions about MU concessions have been driven, for years, by brands that have big pull in the Huntington/Marshall community, and that MU, and not the contractor, makes the decisions relative to these, such as Pepsi. Atomic Distributing/Miller-Coors, and Craigo/Ginos; and the printing contract with Champion Industries/Reynolds is naive. Anybody who does not see that the MU administration is using "it was the vendor" as a cover does not understand how the world works. And anybody who does not understand this is a PC move due to Del. Mandt's politics does not understand how college administrations work. That simple.

It was a cowardly move and the last thing MU needs to do is piss off A N Y local politician of A N Y political viewpoint.

Anybody who does not understand that decisions about MU concessions have been driven, for years, by brands that have big pull in the Huntington/Marshall community, and that MU, and not the contractor, makes the decisions relative to these, such as Pepsi. Atomic Distributing/Miller-Coors, and Craigo/Ginos; and the printing contract with Champion Industries/Reynolds is naive. Anybody who does not see that the MU administration is using "it was the vendor" as a cover does not understand how the world works. And anybody who does not understand this is a PC move due to Del. Mandt's politics does not understand how college administrations work. That simple.

It was a cowardly move and the last thing MU needs to do is piss off A N Y local politician of A N Y political viewpoint.

MU wanted out because of the guys' comments, threw it off to Sodexo and being a European publicly traded company did what most companies do(and Marshall being a state institution) they caved to politically correctness. Marshall pushed it off on the big company Sodexo and they are big enough they don't give a flip but were like MU probably trying to avoid any public fallout.

That is painfully obvious to see. Marshall took the chicken way out and pushed it off to Sodexo with a message to make it go away.

That being said, i am still a Marshall fan.

I doubt Marshall has the stroke to tell a giant corporation that it has to sell Rootin' Tootin' Trumpin' Hotdogs. Which is what Junior has decided to portray himself as, as such seems to win votes at the moment.

But it turns out that like most things in capitalism, it came down to dollars and cents. Oh well.
I don't know. Sodexo probably has a sales rep or account manager. They would want to keep Marshall's business and if that involves letting a local hot dog vendor sell hot dogs they would make it work.

I think Marshall was afraid of fall out from the owners comments and probably told the rep to make it go away. All he has to do is tell the corporate people what this guy said and they say hey this guy has to go away.

Marshall gets to blame Sodexo. These big companies and public schools and their admin like Marshall are so afraid of being connected to these things they would make it go away.

Personally, I don't even live in Huntington any more and Stewart's is definitely no my "go-to" place for hot dogs. However, for some, it's about nostalgia. For instance, my uncle moved away from Huntington years ago but always tries to come back for a game. When he goes to a game he enjoys Stewart's, Gino's and Marshall football because he may only get it once a year, if that. So I don't think it's hard to understand why people are upset. You may not love Stewart's. The people discussing it may. For me, if I'm at a Marshall game I will probably tailgate somewhere or eat outside of the stadium. I would have to be pretty desperate to eat a Thunderdog. I just don't care for the misinformation. I know for a fact, because I know the people involved, that Marshall has a say in the vendors that are used by Sodexo. That's why La Famiglia is now in the student center. That's why Sodexo does renovations around contract time every 10 years or so...because Marshall demands those things for the company that is going to win the contract for food service.

I have been gone for over 20 years and there is no nostalgia with me over a hot dog. I have been gone longer than that form southern WV and there is nothing I get worked up concerning food. I don’t get it. It is a hot dog.

To be honest I am more concerned about my mothers hot dog chili than any fast food chili dog. What you get in a stadium anywhere is nothing to get excited about at least in all the stadiums I have been to across the country.

If someone really uses this as an excuse to not be a fan or to be mad at Marshall then white drably they are looking for a reason to pull money or stop going.

Again...it is a hot dog. There are plenty of bigger issue to worry about with Marshall and the State of WV as a whole.

per the HD story, they did NOT throw him out. They told him what they would pay for his product. He wanted more and thus, he chose to walk away.

I just read this whole thread and I am thoroughly entertained...

As an adult, who can choose to eat whatever i desire, the thought of eating any hotdog isn't something that comes to mind very often. And I doubt anyone under the age of 12 is going to care what brand hotdog MU is selling at the concession stand for 300% profit.

Skip the hotdog and save room for an extra beer on gameday.

I don't know. Sodexo probably has a sales rep or account manager. They would want to keep Marshall's business and if that involves letting a local hot dog vendor sell hot dogs they would make it work.

I think Marshall was afraid of fall out from the owners comments and probably told the rep to make it go away. All he has to do is tell the corporate people what this guy said and they say hey this guy has to go away.

Marshall gets to blame Sodexo. These big companies and public schools and their admin like Marshall are so afraid of being connected to these things they would make it go away.

I'm sure the local guy would want to keep the account. But you know how it goes when higher ups get wind of stuff.

Anyway, Junior himself came out and said it was a dollar and cents deal. Believe me, if it was about his political views he would be riding that horse as far as he could. That he is not is very telling.

I have been gone for over 20 years and there is no nostalgia with me over a hot dog. I have been gone longer than that form southern WV and there is nothing I get worked up concerning food. I don’t get it. It is a hot dog.

To be honest I am more concerned about my mothers hot dog chili than any fast food chili dog. What you get in a stadium anywhere is nothing to get excited about at least in all the stadiums I have been to across the country.

If someone really uses this as an excuse to not be a fan or to be mad at Marshall then white drably they are looking for a reason to pull money or stop going.

Again...it is a hot dog. There are plenty of bigger issue to worry about with Marshall and the State of WV as a whole.

Being a bit dramatic don't ya think? Do you really think that a bunch of guys on a Marshall message board are going to stop cheering for Marshall over a hot dog at the game?

And just because it's not important to you doesn't mean it's not important to other people. If you don't like the conversation, move along.

I'm sure the local guy would want to keep the account. But you know how it goes when higher ups get wind of stuff.

Anyway, Junior himself came out and said it was a dollar and cents deal. Believe me, if it was about his political views he would be riding that horse as far as he could. That he is not is very telling.

You should probably check his social media.

You should probably check his social media.
I would say that Del. Mandt ran on God & country issues, very conservative positions that translated well to the 16th District. + he & Del. Linville hit the trail very hard & both ran aggressive social media campaigns. With 2 Republicans not running for re-election, I would never have thought 2 newcomers to politics could overcome the Dem advantage in voter registrations! But they beat the odds.

Stewart’s is gone, finished, extinct. Go up to the location prior to home games and buy all you want. I’m more interested in who is going to replace them. Insofar as I’m conserved I hope they don’t renew with Gino’s either. There are better hot dogs and pizza offered by other local businesses other than Stewart’s and Gino’s.

Stewart’s is gone, finished, extinct. Go up to the location prior to home games and buy all you want. I’m more interested in who is going to replace them. Insofar as I’m conserved I hope they don’t renew with Gino’s either. There are better hot dogs and pizza offered by other local businesses other than Stewart’s and Gino’s.

I am good with portions of Roccos at the games... Lasagna baby

You forgot the part about Sodexo raising the amount they got per hot dog sold. Mandt said they were also reducing his spaces for stand from like 11 to 2.
You could go further and say this was all motivated by the petition and the comments spoken, but one can't prove that, merely speculate.
It would make sense because it no longer is seen as a politically motivated event but a revenue and business related one instead.

The state journalism is a complete cluster**** as it is and this is evident of it...since there are multiple headlines saying MU was the sole cause of this and others saying different.
I think that's actually what has gotten me most ticked off. Stewart's hot dogs sucked and I only bought them because they soaked up the alcohol I drank, better than what else was offered.
But report the damn thing accurately and make sure its clear whats going on.
I get it, state newspapers are losing money, but a catchy headline sacrifices accuracy which has begun to backfire for places like MU.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I'm going to go out on a limb and without looking guess he didn't run on the Green New Deal, single-payer health care, and gun control.

Edit: I looked at FB....nothing, zilch, nada.

I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure at one point he posted that the campus director of Sodexo mentioned his politics. He could have deleted it but I also could've been mistaken.

Although Frostop is by far my favorite hot dog place in Huntington I also have total respect for Midway and Stewart's and I think kicking Stewart's out is really sad.

Jim's Steak and Spaghetti is totally acceptable if you get a ribeye medium rare and don't care about the spaghetti and get pie for desert..

As for people who disparage Gino's. Gino's varies greatly in quality from location. The South Charleston Gino's is top quality and is always really good. The East end of Charleston location on Washington St, it's total garbage. It's like they took the same ingredients and didn't know how to make the dough correctly or how to cook the pizza correctly. Anyone who says Gino's sucks, have you ever been to the South Charleston location? Also the Gino's sandwiches at the South Charleston location are awesome especially the Italian or the Sicilian. Instead of eating a hot dog at the game I would love to be eating an Italian Sub and a slice of pizza from Gino's while watching the game.

As for people who disparage Gino's. Gino's varies greatly in quality from location. The South Charleston Gino's is top quality and is always really good. The East end of Charleston location on Washington St, it's total garbage. It's like they took the same ingredients and didn't know how to make the dough correctly or how to cook the pizza correctly. Anyone who says Gino's sucks, have you ever been to the South Charleston location? Also the Gino's sandwiches at the South Charleston location are awesome especially the Italian or the Sicilian. Instead of eating a hot dog at the game I would love to be eating an Italian Sub and a slice of pizza from Gino's while watching the game.

The Kenova location is good quality as well. They also have some damn good fried chicken!!

You forgot the part about Sodexo raising the amount they got per hot dog sold. Mandt said they were also reducing his spaces for stand from like 11 to 2.
You could go further and say this was all motivated by the petition and the comments spoken, but one can't prove that, merely speculate.
It would make sense because it no longer is seen as a politically motivated event but a revenue and business related one instead.

The state journalism is a complete cluster**** as it is and this is evident of it...since there are multiple headlines saying MU was the sole cause of this and others saying different.
I think that's actually what has gotten me most ticked off. Stewart's hot dogs sucked and I only bought them because they soaked up the alcohol I drank, better than what else was offered.
But report the damn thing accurately and make sure its clear whats going on.
I get it, state newspapers are losing money, but a catchy headline sacrifices accuracy which has begun to backfire for places like MU.
I am sales. Sometimes your "fire" customers. Just make a ludicrous offer. Sodexo could make him go away by reducing his space and making a ludicrous offer knowing the odds are he is going to walk away.

Not saying this is what happened but, then they can say we made an offer and he walked.

I’ll chime in this convo...

I grew up 4 houses away from a Stewart’s and have always loved eating 4 to 6 everything with slaw.. going to the games through the years I’ve always enjoyed the option of a Stewart’s hotdog, even though they are not quite the simple Stewart’s dog you get at the stand ( bigger dog and kinda sloppy from setting in a steam box for ever ) the option was good because I love Stewart’s dogs.....

I’m ok with a change but I will no longer be spending my at the stadium.. Stewart’s as been in the stadium since like the beginning... so now that they made it political I’ll no longer support the whining party..

My opinion Stewart’s should have took whatever deal was offered and took the short term loss...

See ya at the stand.!

Reactions: ohio herd
I am sales. Sometimes your "fire" customers. Just make a ludicrous offer. Sodexo could make him go away by reducing his space and making a ludicrous offer knowing the odds are he is going to walk away.

Not saying this is what happened but, then they can say we made an offer and he walked.

I think thats what they want people to think on the outside.

Gino's varies greatly in quality from location...Also the Gino's sandwiches

When I lived in Elkins, the Gino's there had the best damn jalapeno poppers on Earth. Not a single other Gino's I ever ate at had the same poppers. I never did understand that.

The sandwiches aren't bad at all, although I stuck to the boring hot ham and cheese. But the pizza is greasy garbage, period. It is like the very opposite of Papa John's nasty, dry, cardboard paper crust. My judgement is based on the signature item, the pizza. Hell, anyone can make a decent sandwich....really good pizza is damn near an art form, it's all about the dough, and great dough is art.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
When I lived in Elkins, the Gino's there had the best damn jalapeno poppers on Earth. Not a single other Gino's I ever ate at had the same poppers. I never did understand that.

The sandwiches aren't bad at all, although I stuck to the boring hot ham and cheese. But the pizza is greasy garbage, period. It is like the very opposite of Papa John's nasty, dry, cardboard paper crust. My judgement is based on the signature item, the pizza. Hell, anyone can make a decent sandwich....really good pizza is damn near an art form, it's all about the dough, and great dough is art.

The best pizza is ALWAYS local places. Chain pizza blows.

Franchised locations will always differ in quality of products sold, but in regards to smaller franchises like Gino's, Giovanni's, etc., there isn't much pressure on the individual franchisees to be consistent with purchasing the recommended products. Some of this could also be from limitations in the wholesale vendor the franchisee has to use in their location (GFS, US Foods, Sysco). I don't know much about those companies, but I'm guessing there isn't a central production plant which produces the sauce, dough, etc, and then ships to its franchise locations? Or maybe it's just the sauce and the rest is up to variability?

I've also eaten at Giovanni's which are the bomb (Coal Grove) and others which were nowhere near as good.

Franchised locations will always differ in quality of products sold, but in regards to smaller franchises like Gino's, Giovanni's, etc., there isn't much pressure on the individual franchisees to be consistent with purchasing the recommended products. Some of this could also be from limitations in the wholesale vendor the franchisee has to use in their location (GFS, US Foods, Sysco). I don't know much about those companies, but I'm guessing there isn't a central production plant which produces the sauce, dough, etc, and then ships to its franchise locations? Or maybe it's just the sauce and the rest is up to variability?

I've also eaten at Giovanni's which are the bomb (Coal Grove) and others which were nowhere near as good.

Dough is simple in ingredients. The art is in the proof. This is how you get a nice, light crust with some actual flavor that isn't from grease lol.

I hate to bring this up the night before the opening game.....but the Stewart’s chili sauce cook was laid off this week after the announcement, and has placed a Lebanese’s curse on all things associated with Marshall football. Omar the chili cook..not sure of his last name spit three times in the direction of the stadium as he slit the neck of a goat. This information was given to me by a Syrian friend in Charleston. This could get ugly.

Last edited:
Yes. They are heavily involved in all food service on campus including sporting events. You will ALWAYS see huge investments in the dining areas of campus when it's time for a new contract.

It's because people are required to use them. You have an on campus event that serves food, you have to use Sodexo. They're not doing anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

But I do think Stewart's serves a pretty crappy hot dog.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT