ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs Old Dominion - Tale of the Tape

ODU is one of the very few FBS teams in the country that will not play an FCS school this year, so you have to take some of these rankings with a grain of salt. Imagine if we had played Virginia and Liberty instead of Norfolk State and Gardner-Webb how differently our numbers (and likely record) would be.
Offensively, there's not much to write home about here. 323 of their 826 rushing yards on the season came against Coastal Carolina - that's an average of 72 per game against everyone else. Georgia State held them to 16 yards on 22 carries on Saturday.
QB Hayden Wolff (14 TDs and 3 INTs) has significant playing time/starts over their last 3 seasons (ODU sat out 2020) but has only thrown 1 pass against us in his career. Last year we faced former UCF transfer DJ Mack Jr. who is still on the team but typically only comes in for run/pass option situations (3 passes and 5 runs on the year).
ODU has the 3rd worst 3rd down offense in the country. We have the best 3rd down defense in the country.
Defensively, from a yards allowed perspective this is the 2nd worst defense in the conference behind only Georgia Southern. However, they're able to hold the scoring down because they've had one of the better Red Zone defenses in the country - 30 Red Zone trips allowed but only 15 touchdowns and 6 field goals allowed. Conversely, we have the 4th worst Red Zone offense in the country - 31 trips and only 16 touchdowns and 5 field goals.
Similar to the last two games, this will most likely be decided by turnovers and/or special teams miscues.
This feels like another 16-13 game one way or the other.

Marshall (4-4)Old Dominion (3-5)
PPG24.9 (91st)24.6 (92nd)
Points Allowed17.5 (15th)27.0 (70th)
Total Offense390.9 (71st)356.5 (96th)
Rush Offense189.4 (36th)103.2 (116th)
Pass Offense201.5 (104th)253.2 (54th)
Offensive Pass Effic128.67 (94th)134.92 (75th)
3rd Down Offense35% (102nd)26% (129th)
Total Defense282.8 (8th)442.0 (116th)
Rush Defense87.1 (6th)184.9 (106th)
Pass Defense195.6 (30th)257.1 (101st)
Defensive Pass Effic107.44 (5th)140.76 (99th)
3rd Down Defense21% (1st)42% (95th)
Turnover Margin Per Game+0.50 (31st)+0.50 (31st)
Penalty Yards Per Game55.88 (68th)67.5 (111th)
Reactions: pdbailey

Huff at JCE (2-5 vs FBS)

I was really shocked to see this on social media: Huff is 2-5 at home against FBS teams. TWO AND FIVE! I didn't double check, but I believe we were favored in every single game:

1. ECU--infamously blow a 17-point lead in about half a quarter. Last quarter riddled with coaching errors and odd decisions. Has walkthrough after the game to prepare for App State game.

2. ODU--sleep walked for almost the entire game, and genuinely got lucky to win in OT

3. FIU--Beat one of the worst D1 programs badly, as almost every single team in the nation would have, including a lot of FCS schools. Got accused of running up the score by Butch Davis after the game. Not the first time Huff has done odd things while winning a game to draw actual criticism from opposing teams' fans and coaches and some of our fans. We haven't won a home D1 game since this game. It was over a year ago.

4. UAB--significant game against an all-together average team. Again, sleepwalked for an entire game. Managed 14 total points.

5. WKU--Blow a 14-point lead and then completely melt down to get totally blown out in a de facto east division championship game. One of the more embarrassing games ever played in the stadium.

6. Louisiana--10-point favorite at home against a genuinely bad team on ESPN2. Show very little desire during the second half. Have zero offensive punch. Score a grand total of 13 points. I can't emphasize enough that Louisiana is not good.

7. Coastal--Again, a favorite at home on national TV. Get down 21 in first quarter. Coastal's D then tries to give us the game for 3 straight quarters, and we are too bad on offense to take the gift. Again, simply not a good team.

TWO AND FIVE. Beyond anything even Snyder put up.

I don't know if people realize how low we are right now. Huge, objective evidence of incompetence. Desperately need to change this.

Ali and LaBorn

I’m sure everyone remembers when Chad Pennington took a red shirt to allow Eric Kresser to play one year at the AA level, get exposure and get a chance at the NFL. Well, because I’m not around campus and have very little inside information I can only suppose, may we be witnessing another similar situation?? Could Ali sit out one year, allow LaBorn to play and return with a stronger offensive line and a better QB situation? I believe my theory deserves consideration, discussion, criticism, rejection or perhaps laughter. After all this is a discussion group.

Halloween thoughts from Walden Pond . . .

May his genius (and shin) live on.

"Sure, I hate Christmas and Valentine's Day but even those have a better point than this Halloween bullshit.

Dress up your kids to look stupid and teach them to be bums. You know if I ever did have any kids (cue laughter and emphatic side to side head shaking to indicate no way in hell), I would not participate in this bullshit. You want candy? Why not just go to the store and buy it? Easier than bumming it.

Kids are better off not eating candy anyway. I ate candy when I was a kid and look what happened. Now I'm too fat. Would have been better off learning to live on weeds and rabbit food. Not to live longer, but to qualify for a woman who doesn't look like a manatee.

I quit trick or treating when I was 8 years old. I hated it. All we ever got were shitty Smarties. Smarties blow. And when you did get something good, it was just fun size. What's so fun about a dinky ass Snickers that makes you say, "Damn, I wish I had a real candy bar instead of a nibblet of one."?

I got egged by someone on route 2 driving 50 up the road. Hell of an aim. The egg was rotten. Hit me in the shin. Never again after that.

The costumes are bullshit too. Shitty masks where the eyes and nose wouldn't line up. You either couldn't see or couldn't breathe. And you had to wear a dumbass cape if I recall correctly. I hate capes. It's a wonder if my mom didn't throw a burning cigarette butt on it and burn the hell out of me.

Halloween is too dumb. Too worthless. I think it's even more worthless than waking up in the morning
."

Marshall football highlights — Coastal Carolina

Highlights of Marshall and the Coastal Carolina game below. Was a really fun experience despite the loss!

Was finished uploading around 4 today. It is up in 360 but the HD version is still processing (waited a while), at least that is what it tells me! That should be finished anytime.

Login to view embedded media

Four Months Until the Election

Roughly four months until the November elections. Anyone want to take a stab at the results? I mean, other than a meltdown occurring on msnbc?

I think anyone paying attention thinks the Dems are gonna lose the House. I thought the Senate would go GOP up until a week or so ago but I’m not so certain after Roe got correctly struck down. The concealed carry ruling isn’t having the effect the left wants it to but man, the left is using Roe to fundraise like homeless at stop signs.

Will the Senate go to the GOP?

ATTN: Displeased Marshall Fans

Are you horrified by this offense? Mesmerized by how it always finds a way to implode? Maybe you love inconsistent special teams play? You feel an urge creeping up on you to not watch the games anymore *maybe*. Well, I have news for you, I bring you a way to bask in the glory of inefficiency, to stand in awe of the constant head scratching mistakes. Come join us, and find solace among the depraved, I introduce to you THE SICKOS COMMITTEE.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT