ADVERTISEMENT

Football signees from yesterday

Some interesting guys in the small group of eight early signings --

QB - Colin Parachek -- Was the backup last year at Moorehead State. Played in 4 games, started 2... This is the kind of portal QB that I assumed Huff was talking about bringing in. A depth arm with some lower level FCS experience. We now have 5 quarterbacks for the Spring's QB competition.

TE - Tracy Stephens -- Dude is a big tight end, 6'5, 250. If your that size at the TE spot you should at the very least be a hell of a blocker. Had offers from South Florida and Georgia State.

DT - Beni Tshita -- Three star recruit out of the Louisville area. 6'3, 260.

OL - Shawn Rouse -- Local kid from Cabell Midland. Played tackle in high school but based on his size/quickness may be better suited for guard in college.

LB - Jaden Yates -- Son of Marshall HOF member Max Yates. A three star prospect out of Ohio. Had offers from pretty much every school in the MAC.

And perhaps the three most important additions given our current roster and what we lose...

DB - Caleb Clark Glover -- Three star corner from Cincinnati. Had offers from Army, Buffalo and Akron.

DB - CJ Davis -- Three star corner. Had offers from Air Force, Western Michigan and Central Michigan.

DB - Ahmere Foster -- Three star free safety. Had offers from Coastal Carolina and JMU along with Florida Atlantic.
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Inspired by ‘Office Space’ film, Washington software engineer steals over $300K from employer, prosecutors say

Didn’t wanna ruin a thread

I just read this nugget in another thread following someone missing a good run of nfl players from Marshall over a ten year period

The quote

KO pretty much screwed it all. Worst hire in the history of Marshall athletics.

Ok. Was he the best hire. I’m not sure. I don’t think he was bad at all and I still to this day have never spoke to the man and have no connection to him.

But how was any of that his fault. Did he get us out on probation. And like real probation. The type of probation that actually effects a programs growth not like the wrist slaps you get nowadays? Nope. Wasn’t him.

Comments like that are nauseating.
  • Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Airlines and Flying

Just watch the news and hear the stories. That is a big reason I don't do unless I have to. They were bad enough and flying was miserable enough, but Covid ruined it even more than it was.

I refuse to do it unless I have to. People stranded all the time. Shitty experiences. Yehh the weather causes it but they were screwed up before and the China virus just made it worse. Just like eating out.

We have had people at work get stranded places. Left in Vegas at a confernce and couldn't get home.

It just isn't worth it. Yehh there are weather issues, I get that. But flying sucks ass. I wold rather drive for two days that risk it with the airlines.
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

CT

From EerSports.com:

Meanwhile, the search for a new quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator continues after reaching into the past and coming up empty. Sources said WVU interviewed former starting quarterback Clint Trickett, who is currently the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at Marshall. Talks advanced from there, but sources said a deal could not be reached and Trickett opted to remain with the Thundering Herd. The nature of the deal was not clear, but sources said WVU will continue to offer new assistant coaches multi-year contracts.
  • Sad
Reactions: Bayou Boiler

2022 Marshall Defensive PFF Grades in Review

Over the years, the efforts showcased by Marshall's defensive unit have been consistently good to great.

However, even for its usual production, the Thundering Herd, under defensive coordinator Lance Guidry, certainly took a step toward becoming one of the elite defenses in college football this past season.

In all, a total of seven players posted a PFF grade above an 80 overall, while 17 of Marshall's defensive players graded above 70 PFF in Marshall's victory.

DEFENSIVE LINE:

To start with the stingy Marshall defense, one must begin with Marshall's two best edge rushers -- Owen Porter and Koby Cumberlander.

The duo simply got better and better as the 2022 season went along, ultimately combining for an incredible 20 sacks and 43 quarterback hurries as the Thundering Herd ultimately finished inside the top-10 nationally in total sacks (according to the NCAA, ninth with 38 sacks; while PFF has Marshall with 46 sacks as a team).

Porter, according to PFF stats, posted a very strong 88 PFF grade. His mark came on the back of notching nine out of his team-leading 12 sacks over the last seven games of the season -- and posted PFF grades of 65 or better in 10 out of 13 contests, 72 PFF or better in seven affairs and 80 or better in four games, including a ridiculous 95.1 PFF against James Madison off of five quarterback sacks and nine quarterback hurries as well as a 91 PFF against Gardner-Webb. Porter also tallied an interception in the Herd's 26-21 upset victory over Notre Dame in South Bend.

Cumberlander, who posted six of his eight sacks in the season's second half, posted PFF grades of 65 or above in nine out of 13 games, including a PFF grade of 75 or better in five contests. Cumberlander posted a 83.1 PFF grade against Gardner-Webb, a 78.6 PFF grade against Georgia State and a 77.9 PFF mark against Old Dominion, notching three sacks against Georgia State in the Thundering Herd's come from behind win.

Defensive linemen Immanuel Bush, Damion Barber and Sam Burton also had strong seasons, with Bush -- a defensive tackle -- posting a PFF grade of 76.4 on the back of two sacks and 14 quarterback hurries over the course of the year. Barber and Burton posted identical 70.6 PFF marks, with Barber notching three sacks, 10 quarterback hurries and -- in the biggest play of the bowl victory against UCONN -- an interception return for a touchdown, while Burton, in a reserve role to Porter and Cumberlander, posted an impressive six sacks and 11 quarterback hurries in his appearances.

Notable grades for the above trio included contests of 85.2 (James Madison) and 80.6 (Louisiana-Lafayette) for Bush, 93.9 (UCONN) for Barber and 81.4 (Troy) for Burton.

Sherman Hatton (68 PFF in two games), Jordan Calomese (65.5 PFF in three games), Emmanuel Balogun (64.4 PFF), Elijah Alston (62.4 PFF), TyQaze Leggs (62.1 PFF, three sacks in seven games), Joe Murray (61 PFF in two games) and Isaiah Gibson (61 PFF) all finished with decent PFF grades, while Anthony Watts (59.6 PFF), Esisas Carpenter (59.0 PFF), Jabarrek Hopkins (57.2 PFF), CJ Miller (48.8 PFF in one appearance) and Elijah Russell (47.9 PFF in one appearance) rounded out the defensive line rotation.

LINEBACKERS:

Of all positions on the defense for the Thundering Herd next season, linebacker could be the one that is most in question at the moment in terms of overall depth.

However, even with what seemingly looked to be a lack of depth in 2022, the main linebackers on Marshall's unit -- Eli Neal, Charlie Gray, and Abraham Beauplan -- performed well.

With 63 tackles and an 81.9 PFF grade, Gray led the charge. A sixth-year linebacker, Gray was productive in all fronts as the Kansas native posted three sacks, eight quarterback hurries, two interceptions and a pass breakup.

Neal, who followed with a 81.5 PFF mark, led Marshall with 98 tackles in 2022 and added in three sacks of his own with 10 quarterback hurries, an interception and two pass breakups.

Beauplan, who struggled with injuries through part of the season, still finished with 65 tackles in 12 games en route to notching a 79.1 PFF mark. The senior posted a sack, seven quarterback hurries, an interception and four pass breakups.

Gray posted eight grades of 68.1 PFF or better in Marshall's 13 contests including high-water marks of 91.9 against James Madison and 81.2 against Troy, Neal posted eight grades of 67.5 PFF or better including an 82.7 PFF mark against Georgia State, and Beauplan had six grades of 68.6 PFF or higher including performances of 92.5 against Gardner-Webb, 90.6 against Old Dominion, and 87.2 against Norfolk State.

In reserve roles, Dan Foster, Jr.'s 83 PFF grade in five games stood out, as well as a 74.9 PFF grade from Leon Hart, Jr. in a contest against Norfolk State led the way, while Zane Porter's 60 PFF grade and Jace Bobo's 54.9 PFF mark rounded out the second level of the defense.

DEFENSIVE BACKS:

As good as the first two levels of the defense were, the defensive secondary, as a whole, even topped the performances of the first two levels of the defense.

Continuing a family legacy of great cornerback play, Steven Gilmore's 86.6 PFF grade pops out at anybody. Gilmore notched an impressive 47 tackles, three interceptions and eight pass breakups with a grade above 70 PFF in six out of the 13 contests that Marshall played in on the year.

Gilmore posted grades of 90.3 PFF against Gardner-Webb, 88.6 PFF against Notre Dame, 75.9 against Bowling Green and 74.6 against Appalachian State.

Joshua Bowers, in a reserve role, also played very well, notching an 85.7 PFF with a pass deflection and an interception in seven games, and Micah Abraham -- carrying on his own family tradition -- had another tremendous year, posting a 78.8 PFF with six interceptions and seven pass deflections. Abraham posted grades of 90.3 PFF against Norfolk State, 78.7 against Notre Dame and 77.3 against Appalachian State while Bowers posted a 90.3 PFF mark against Gardner-Webb.

In increased playing time due to injuries, Daytione Smith entrenched himself as a regular contributor in the secondary for Marshall, notching a 74.7 PFF on the back of five pass breakups in five games. Smith posted an 80.5 PFF grade against Old Dominion.

Safeties Andre Sam, Isaiah Norman and E.J. Jackson were all consistent throughout the year, as evidenced by their 73.5, 71.5 and 70.6 PFF grades. Sam made 63 tackles to go along with five pass breakups and an interception while Norman posted 39 tackles and Jackson 34 with the duo combining for three pass breakups.

Jaydyn Johnson (66.4 PFF in one game), AG McGhee (65.2 PFF in two games), Isaiah Norman (56.8 PFF), Caleb Horton (55.1 PFF), Jacobie Henderson (48.7 PFF in two games), Jadarius Green-McKnight (45.9 PFF) and D'Yoni Hill (43.7 PFF in a game) rounded out Marshall's defensive backfield.

Glenville State

I get respecting our in state peeps, and I am sure there is some random reason DD scheduled Glenville like "his cousin blah blah...." but I think it looks really stupid when we do that. Or, I think it looks ok to open with that. But we play at Duquense, UNCG, and host Toledo all in the next few games and thats a solid slate. And then right in the middle of all of it is Glenville State. At 7-1 with a strong schedule coming up, we throw in that nonsense. I realize the schedule is set before we know our record obviously, but I think it looks dumb to do that. Plus, on the SLIGHTEST off chance some day that we would be very strong, in a strong bball RPI year for our conference, and ever have a chance at an at large bid after not winning the conference tourney (I know I know), having Glenville kick our SOS in the nuts is not a good look.... Just sayin..
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT