ADVERTISEMENT

1991 WCU, 1991 WIU, 1993 Delaware, 1993 Troy, 1994 JMU

Gochneaur645

Silver Buffalo
Mar 13, 2007
I'm working on a list of the greatest games ever played in the Joan. Does anybody have any info or stories they could share on the games listed?

I remember going to these games as a child but don't know much about them other than the final scores. It's to hard any info or stats on these games that existed before the internet was really a thing.

The MU Library has a complete set of Herald-Dispaches back to 1909 on old fashioned microfilm, as does the state archive library in Charleston. The Sunday paper should have all the information you would need.

I think it was WCU in 1991, I remember we scored a late touchdown, maybe even in OT, to keep the game going. It was a pass to a TE in the front corner of the end zone. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I remember some things from the 1993 Delaware game pretty vividly. It was a rainy game and we had the lead on the Blue Hens late into the 4th quarter when they scored to tie the game at 31 with under 2 minutes to go. When they kicked off, Tim Martin received the kick and moved right. He saw tacklers ahead, so reversed field and went left across the field. Once again, he encountered tacklers, so reversed field again and came all the way back to the right and saw some open field. If I recall correctly, he took the ball past midfield before getting caught, and as he went down, the ball came out of his hands and bounced downfield into a pack of about 4-5 Delaware guys. As everyone dove for the ball, Brian Stump (I don't even remember what position he was) came out of nowhere and fell into the pile and somehow came up with the ball to save the day. A few plays later, we got into range for Dave Merrick to attempt I think a 35 yarder, which was no gimme given the downpour and wind. Of course he nailed it and we moved on to the next round.

That was always one of my favorite games. I have it on VHS, but I don't think I even have a VCR anymore that could play it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT