ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Class

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
Is this post from the C-USA board accurate?

"9 of Marshall’s 2018 recruits won’t be able to contribute this year. 3 of them were no-shows & 6 did not qualify. Only 2 of Marshall’s top 10 recruits from 2018 both showed up & qualified."

I know that there is decent depth on the team this year, but christ, this is recruiting a lot of talented kids who couldn't get in other places and hoping Marshall finds a way to get them academically eligible. That's one hell of an advantage - and one hell of a risk - to take.

And another question - I know Marshall is sub-par academically as a university. But are the listed admissions requirements on the university's website truly what Marshall admits? According to the page, as long as you have a 2.0 GPA in high school, you will be admitted (ignoring the ACT scores, since they give allowances for those whose scores are under the bare minimum). So as long as you have a C average (2.0, 70%) in high school, you are going to be admitted?

It gets even worse when you take into consideration the new redshirt eligibility rule passed by the NCAA which takes effect this season.

You can now play in up to four games and be granted a redshirt. So a lot of these talented freshman (assuming Marshall had signed ones who were academically eligible) would be able to not only give the starters some plays off, but they'd also be able to help their own development by getting to play in games without losing a season. But since so many recruits in this class are academically ineligible, they lose that ability to develop their own abilities and the team loses out on their ability to help on the field this year.

Previously, the issue wouldn't have been as magnified, as many freshman are redshirted regardless. But now that redshirts can play in four games without losing a year, not having these signees able to do that is a huge disadvantage to their development and the team's success.

"9 of Marshall’s 2018 recruits won’t be able to contribute this year. 3 of them were no-shows & 6 did not qualify. Only 2 of Marshall’s top 10 recruits from 2018 both showed up & qualified."

I know that there is decent depth on the team this year, but christ, this is recruiting a lot of talented kids who couldn't get in other places and hoping Marshall finds a way to get them academically eligible. That's one hell of an advantage - and one hell of a risk - to take.

This is according to ratings on Rivals but six of Marshall's 12 three-stars from the 2018 class showed up eligible (Dallas Martin, Artie Henry, Steven Gilmore, Taymon Cooke, Arak McDuffie and Jaquan Webb).

Jalynn Sykes, Corey Gammage and Aaron Morgan are sitting out as non qualifiers.

John Jiles ended up at Fort Scott.

Sharrod Frazier ended up at Eastern Arizona.

The status of Kenny Wilkins is unknown but we believe he is still involved with the program in some form and will be a part of the football team soon.

Not great, but not all that unexpected based on Doc's last few classes. He takes 5-7 NQs every year.

To fairly evaluate this class (in terms of eligibility) I think you have to include the NQs from the 2017 class who joined the team in full this week. That group includes highly rated kids like Darius Hodge, Sheldon Evans and Koby Cumberlander - all of whom would have been among the top five highest ranked recruits in the 2018 class.

It gets even worse when you take into consideration the new redshirt eligibility rule passed by the NCAA which takes effect this season.

You can now play in up to four games and be granted a redshirt. So a lot of these talented freshman (assuming Marshall had signed ones who were academically eligible) would be able to not only give the starters some plays off, but they'd also be able to help their own development by getting to play in games without losing a season. But since so many recruits in this class are academically ineligible, they lose that ability to develop their own abilities and the team loses out on their ability to help on the field this year.

Previously, the issue wouldn't have been as magnified, as many freshman are redshirted regardless. But now that redshirts can play in four games without losing a year, not having these signees able to do that is a huge disadvantage to their development and the team's success.

There are still 13 true freshman and two JUCOs on the team who can take advantage of the new red-shirt rule but for a school like Marshall there is no arguing this is a downside of taking NQs.

Why is anyone shocked by this? It’s been Docs MO here since day 1, we have been the youngest team in CFB for a decade now.
NQs have nothing to do with us being young some years. Roster attrition from kids who spent 2-3 years in the program is/was the biggest factor.

And FWIW, we're extremely experienced this year. 15 projected starters are either juniors or seniors.

And another question - I know Marshall is sub-par academically as a university. But are the listed admissions requirements on the university's website truly what Marshall admits? According to the page, as long as you have a 2.0 GPA in high school, you will be admitted (ignoring the ACT scores, since they give allowances for those whose scores are under the bare minimum). So as long as you have a C average (2.0, 70%) in high school, you are going to be admitted?
Don't you ever question the great recruiters ability to recruit nor the status of the program.

Right now I see 4 or 5 losses unless I change my mind before opening day. From what I am hearing our QB's are struggling.

There are some growing pains going on with the QBs, yes. Not sure I'd say they are struggling but they're not where Doc and Cramsey want them to be yet.

Schedule is pretty difficult, especially the OOC portion. I see a 6-6 floor and a 10-2 ceiling with somewhere in the 8-4 range being realistic.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
There are some growing pains going on with the QBs, yes. Not sure I'd say they are struggling but they're not where Doc and Cramsey want them to be yet.

Schedule is pretty difficult, especially the OOC portion. I see a 6-6 floor and a 10-2 ceiling with somewhere in the 8-4 range being realistic.
So, 8-4 would be another acceptable season. Yippee

I’m not as upset at the amount of guys that aren’t showing up as I am that the ones not showing up being the highly touted recruits. If we recalculated the class rankings I am sure we would fall quite a bit.

An old coach once told me that you seldom get beat by players that you recruit but don't land.

It's more likely that you'll get beat by the players you successfully recruit to campus but who were mis-evaluated and who failed to live up to expectations.

6-6:eek:

Reactions: 31Herd55
From what I am hearing our QB's are struggling.

For someone to say “the QB’s are struggling” after three practices, one of which was closed to the public, should be a red flag to that person’s knowledge of the game.

Did the QB’s look great on a Sunday? No, but probably 90% of the plays were scripted it looked like. Besides, they’re getting like four reps and then they’re on the sidelines watching the next guy. Then, their next turn is with a completely different set of players.

Each QB has rotated with the first, second, and third teams during practice so it’s almost impossible to get into a rhythm or build chemistry right now.

Clearly, whoever told you that, doesn’t pay attention to what’s actually happening on the field otherwise they’d take these things into account.

For someone to say “the QB’s are struggling” after three practices, one of which was closed to the public, should be a red flag to that person’s knowledge of the game.

Did the QB’s look great on a Sunday? No, but probably 90% of the plays were scripted it looked like. Besides, they’re getting like four reps and then they’re on the sidelines watching the next guy. Thetheir next turn is with a completely different set of players.

Each QB has rotated with the first, second, and third teams during practice so it’s almost impossible to get into a rhythm or build chemistry right now.

Clearly, whoever told you that, doesn’t pay attention to what’s actually happening on the field otherwise they’d take these things into account.
sorry I have just been reading the reports on your paid forum. Maybe I misunderstood.

sorry I have just been reading the reports on your paid forum. Maybe I misunderstood.

You have no idea how excited this post just got me. Hold on, I'll be right back:

giphy.gif

Last night was the first time anyone even remotely came close to mentioning they struggled and my exact words were “tough sledding for the QB’s.”

Today’s report and my response to you earlier better explained what I meant so yes, I think you either misunderstood prior reports and/or didn’t give me a chance to comment further on Sunday’s practice.

And TBH, what we see as struggling sometimes, may be exactly what the OC wants to happen so it’s all in how you look at it.

Considering the D knows many of the plays after a while, not shocked the DB's don't jump every route on a pass play.

Reactions: Josh Stowers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT