O 12 ODU
O 19 @ FAU
O 26 WKU
N 2 @ Rice
N 9 -bye-
N 16 LA Tech
N 23 @ UNCC
N 30 FIU

Rest of the league also announced. Some games WILL, not may, will be moved to weekday nights for TV.

Sorry to cross post. Thanks for fixing.

I like the schedule. Team has no back to back road games, and only one trip to Texas. Most teams nationally get two byes this year because of an extra weekend between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. That will help.

Wish they had the TV done at the same time.

Solid G5 schedule. I like that La Tech and FIU are at home late in the season. Those southern boys don’t like the cold.
Be interesting to see how MT’s hot shot Juco QB acclimates to the opponents.

7 Home games. Can’t beat that.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I'd buy that if we were playing San Jose and UConn instead of Boise State and Cincy. Our OOC features two teams that finished 2018 ranked, and another that won 9 games.

The Cincy deal was in 2015. You can't really predict how good or bad a program like Cincy will be four years ahead of time. You can predict that playing Cincy gives you a much better chance at winning than playing a random P5 selection.

The same thing can be said for Ohio.

Reactions: kdbherdon
The Cincy deal was in 2015. You can't really predict how good or bad a program like Cincy will be four years ahead of time. You can predict that playing Cincy gives you a much better chance at winning than playing a random P5 selection.

That's an interesting take. I'm not sure that I would agree in the infallible quality of P5 programs. For example, in 2015, Marshall defeated a terrible Purdue team, who would go on to lose to Bowling Green as well and finish 2-10, with only one of those wins against an FBS opponent.

This year, Purdue started the season in similar fashion, losing a game to Eastern Michigan, but then went on to beat three ranked teams including #2 Ohio State, before getting mercilessly drubbed like an FCS team by Auburn in their bowl game.

That's a pretty significant variance.

There is no such thing as P-6.

thatsthejoke.jpg

That's an interesting take. I'm not sure that I would agree in the infallible quality of P5 programs. For example, in 2015, Marshall defeated a terrible Purdue team, who would go on to lose to Bowling Green as well and finish 2-10, with only one of those wins against an FBS opponent.

This year, Purdue started the season in similar fashion, losing a game to Eastern Michigan, but then went on to beat three ranked teams including #2 Ohio State, before getting mercilessly drubbed like an FCS team by Auburn in their bowl game.

That's a pretty significant variance.

When you go back and read my post again, be sure to pause both before and after my use of “random” when describing a P5 opponent.

Sure, each year, you can pick a handful of really bad P5 teams that a bunch of G5 teams could beat. But, four years ahead of schedule, you’d much rather play Cincy than a random P5 team. Why? In most years, the majority of P5 teams are better than Cincy. You have a better chance of beating Cincy than the majority of P5 teams just about every year.

But, four years ahead of schedule, you’d much rather play Cincy than a random P5 team. Why?
1) Willingness to sign home-and-home
2) Distance between schools is short enough to allow for fans of each to travel easily to away games
3) Prior existing relationship between the athletic departments of each school
4) Advantageous situation for the athletic program in terms of costs to put on versus revenue generated

1) Willingness to sign home-and-home
2) Distance between schools is short enough to allow for fans of each to travel easily to away games
3) Prior existing relationship between the athletic departments of each school
4) Advantageous situation for the athletic program in terms of costs to put on versus revenue generated

What do you think draws more money "in terms of costs to put on versus revenue generated"? A home game vs. Virginia Tech or a home game vs. Cincy?

More fans, both of Marshall and a random P5 opponent, are coming out to a game between those programs compared with Marshall vs. a random G5.

And something tells me that the Marshall athletic department isn't rolling around in extra cash. If a P5 wanted to pay Marshall $600,000 to come play dead in a football game, they'd gladly take it . . . unless they were concerned about not being able to reach that 8-9 win threshold and get another contract extension.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
What do you think draws more money "in terms of costs to put on versus revenue generated"? A home game vs. Virginia Tech or a home game vs. Cincy?

More than likely, Virginia Tech. Unfortunately, Virginia Tech wasn't interested in signing a home and home with us at the time, and recently signed a two-for-one with us only because they needed to get bowl eligible in 2018 and we had an open date. Otherwise we would have no future games scheduled against Virginia Tech.

Tangentially related: Cincinnati defeated Virginia Tech in football two weeks ago, 35-31.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers
Boise is obviously very random but has good notoriety to attract anyone. I'm not sure how well they travel though.

But supporting your statement, VT is obviously the biggest draw we'll have.

I think Hamrick's trying to get teams with some sort of relationship with MU in a way, which will help with more people showing up.

I guess its subjective on how people look at teams coming. Purdue isn't exactly a powerhouse in football but their conference association brought out interest and gave us big attendance.

I guess its subjective on how people look at teams coming. Purdue isn't exactly a powerhouse in football but their conference association brought out interest and gave us big attendance.

It's not subjective. P5 teams have far bigger names than G5 teams. That leads to better attendance. Need proof? Check out any games at the Joan between P5 vs. G5 teams.

Beating P5 teams does far more than beating G5 teams. Are teams like Boise, UCF, and Cincy better than many P5 teams? Sure. But that's only if you happen to beat them when they are having one of their better years. And even if beating them in a good year, the national perception still means very little.

More than likely, Virginia Tech. Unfortunately, Virginia Tech wasn't interested in signing a home and home with us at the time, and recently signed a two-for-one with us only because they needed to get bowl eligible in 2018 and we had an open date. Otherwise we would have no future games scheduled against Virginia Tech.

And agreeing to a 2-for-1 is not only fine, but is reasonable and logical. Those teams don't need Marshall. Marshall, if it ever wants to be included with the big boys, absolutely needs those teams. The only way to get included is to grow your program and beat those big boys.

Playing those big boys allows money for Marshall to grow its program. It also allows an opportunity to continually beat them which is what Marshall will have to do at some point to get a chance at a better conference.

Going 9-4, 8-5, 10-3 against a schedule of all G5 and FCS schools? That will do absolutely nothing for Marshall . . . but it will guarantee a contract extension for the head coach and athletic director.

Reactions: johns_1124
YAGS I wish I could give you 1000 likes for that post. The only people in America that doesn’t understand that G5’s with maybe the exception of Boise do nothing from a national perception that P5s do are our fans. It’s honestly mind boggling.

Purdue was AWFUL when we played them but we had a sold out crowd and the Joan was electric. It was because they were in the Big 10. Kansas State has a huge crowd and they had a sub 500 Year when they came to the Joan under Snyder but it was an awesome day with the exception of the loss.

P5s have the names, have a following and when you beat one of them as a G5 it gives you national exposure that you DO NOT get with a G5 no matter how good they are. ODU got a lot of national press by beating a Va Tech team that was one of the worst Tech teams they have had in years. But there was highlights on ESPN etc.

We should never have a schedule that doesnt gave at least 2 P5s on it. That is the only way this program will grow is to play and beat P5s and continue to try and move up in conference affiliation. If this is not our goal then we should go back to IAA and put our resources into basketball.

We should never have a schedule that doesnt have at least 2 P5s on it.
I understand your POV and enjoy when we play P5 programs but I don't know how a Herd fan couldn't love our OOC schedule in 2020. We host Boise and Pitt and travel to Ohio and ECU. It's as close to perfect as we will ever have, IMHO.

You can't be serious, can you?

I’m extremely serious. If we are not striving to grow and be relevant then I don’t see why we make the investment we do in football. I don’t get excited about a schedule with zero P5s on it. I’m sorry I don’t.

Cincinnnati, VMI and Ohio have zero national perception and does nothing for our program if we beat them. In college football perception is all that matters. Cincinnati may be better than several P5 programs but beating a bad Va Tech team garners you more national exposure than beating a ranked Cincinnati team. It is what it is.

I understand your POV and enjoy when we play P5 programs but I don't know how a Herd fan couldn't love our OOC schedule in 2020. We host Boise and Pitt and travel to Ohio and ECU. It's as close to perfect as we will ever have, IMHO.

Agree. That may be the most balanced and complete OOC schedule we have ever had. Jmo

Reactions: herd66
So you would throw away (as long as we are BE) a guaranteed bowl appearance and part of a 1.1 Million payout to toss money into a team that looks like they are right out of Lavar Ball's JBL league who makes the tournament once every thirty years.

How smart is that?

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I’m extremely serious. If we are not striving to grow and be relevant then I don’t see why we make the investment we do in football. I don’t get excited about a schedule with zero P5s on it. I’m sorry I don’t.

Cincinnnati, VMI and Ohio have zero national perception and does nothing for our program if we beat them. In college football perception is all that matters. Cincinnati may be better than several P5 programs but beating a bad Va Tech team garners you more national exposure than beating a ranked Cincinnati team. It is what it is.

When we beat Purdue, all the fans could complain about was Purdue's record and how "It didn't count. I want Pruett back! Waaa waaa!!! Doc doesn't beat any teams with winning records!!!"
National perception now, but if we win, the focus will change completely.

More fans, both of Marshall and a random P5 opponent, are coming out to a game between those programs compared with Marshall vs. a random G5.

And something tells me that the Marshall athletic department isn't rolling around in extra cash. If a P5 wanted to pay Marshall $600,000 to come play dead in a football game, they'd gladly take it . . . unless they were concerned about not being able to reach that 8-9 win threshold and get another contract extension.

OUCH...someone just hit in the balls......contract extension from our AD?

HerdZilla22

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT