ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Win Prediction Thread

Do you watch football? Do you read pre-season guides?

MU plays, in a row, the USA Today pre-season #24, #35, and #38 teams. All ranked in the top 10 in the USA Today G5 rankings. MU also plays pre-season #58, #62, and #69. A solid schedule for a G5, similar to most.

Which is why I said 7-5

We get it. In your anhedonian world, NOTHING MU ever acomplishes, no matter who we play, no matter who is coach, is EVER going to be good enough. In your delusional system, CUSA is the ultra easy league (it isn't, really, look at the pre-season rankings), whoever MU plays non-conference is a weak sister (three of the top 10 in G5 is not good enough for you). MU is, to stoke your anhedonia, supposed to win every game, but doing so is no real accomplishment.

If you want MU to be Alabama, or for that matter Auburn, or for than matter, Arkansas, it IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. And before you respond that "all" you want is to have your envy of the supposed greatness of some other co-equal G5 league (note that we are playing the pre-season top team in BOTH of the G5 leagues the local football anhedonians place above CUSA) we all understand that within a few minutes of MU joining such a league, which, thankfully WILL NEVER HAPPEN, you would suddenly hate on that league as well.

We get it. MU football is NOT FOR YOU. Move on.

We get it. In your anhedonian world, NOTHING MU ever acomplishes, no matter who we play, no matter who is coach, is EVER going to be good enough. In your delusional system, CUSA is the ultra easy league (it isn't, really, look at the pre-season rankings), whoever MU plays non-conference is a weak sister (three of the top 10 in G5 is not good enough for you). MU is, to stoke your anhedonia, supposed to win every game, but doing so is no real accomplishment.

If you want MU to be Alabama, or for that matter Auburn, or for than matter, Arkansas, it IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. And before you respond that "all" you want is to have your envy of the supposed greatness of some other co-equal G5 league (note that we are playing the pre-season top team in BOTH of the G5 leagues the local football anhedonians place above CUSA) we all understand that within a few minutes of MU joining such a league, which, thankfully WILL NEVER HAPPEN, you would suddenly hate on that league as well.

Damn, you said all that because I said we would have a winnings season going 7-5? Why are you so mad Sam?

Damn, you said all that because I said we would have a winnings season going 7-5? Why are you so mad Sam?

Sorry, I was replying the the lead football anhedonian, the mis-named i am herdman, and not you. Sorry for any confusion.

Dude, All I am asking for is to win CUSA consistently. I am not asking to win the SEC or Rose Bowl. God Almighty how hard is that to understand? I predicted us to win 10 games.

Sorry, I was replying the the lead football anhedonian, the mis-named i am herdman, and not you. Sorry for any confusion.

We are in perhaps, or even factual, the worst D1 conference in the country. We have nearly every advantage over every conference opponent other than recruiting area. 2 teams in our own division were IA upstarts a few years ago. This League is not that hard.

We are a consistent underachiever. You applaud that as if we have done something special. We have not. How hard should it be for Marshall to win this league consistently?

Maybe I am the one who cares more about the program that you as I expect more. All you care about is kissing the admins ass(here and down on 3rd avenue). Frankly, they are coasting along in terms of the football program. Little Johnny C pluses are ok on your report card even though you should be an A student.

Like our opportunity to go 14-0! Boise St on the Rd. ? Cincy at home good crowd ? Possibility for a great season!!! Go Herd!

We are in perhaps, or even factual, the worst D1 conference in the country.

Wrong. That really is the end of it. First, in terms of opportunity to make the once-in-a-lifetime access bowl, all are equal. In terms of what bowl you go to otherwise, all are equal. In terms of national perception and quality of play, CUSA is right in the middle, a little below the MWC and the AAC, a little above the SBC and the lowly MAC.

We have nearly every advantage over every conference opponent other than recruiting area. 2 teams in our own division were IA upstarts a few years ago.
Tell me again how this is the "worst conference" if you include the 100% ex-I-AA SBC. Not one of today's athletes cares if the school was I-AA when he was in grade school. Anyway, please list these great "advantages". The AD you hate built us an IPF, that is an advantage over some, but not "every" school in the league. We have a loyal fan base, not only locals but, due to the rotten economic system of WV, includes a lot of diaspora. List any more? Rotten economy. Tiny, #70 with one-third of one-percent of the populaiton, TV market, shared with at least four other teams' fans. Tiny radio market. Booster club of less than 4K members. Not named for a city or state, limited name recognition. Conference not up ESPN's a** and thus ignored by the thought controllers there. Second smallest public school enrollment in the league, among the 15 smallest public school enrollments in I-A. Welfare addicted and thus drug infested town. A hostile state government that has grossly underfunded the school for nearly a century in favor of subsidizing out-of-state students at USPAM. Largest single major is teaching, which is the lowest paid college job, meaning limited giving base. Name these great advantages.

This League is not that hard.

We are a consistent underachiever.

There is no doubt in my mind that you actually believe that. And that is sad for you. Nothing this team ever accomplishes will ever suit you, because you expect this to be something like pro wrestlling, where the "good guy" always wins. Wrestling isn't real. Football is, and MU is doing GREAT in a GREAT conference. A conference whose only basis for existence is that every program wants to play football at the same level of commitment.

If you had told me, when I was a student, that MU would someday be among the elite 130 odd programs in the country, have games on TV, play in a wonderful 40K seat stadium with luxury boxes, play teams from the Big 10, SEC, and ACC, and NOTRE DAME coming soon, I would have told you you were crazy.

Wrong. That really is the end of it. First, in terms of opportunity to make the once-in-a-lifetime access bowl, all are equal. In terms of what bowl you go to otherwise, all are equal. In terms of national perception and quality of play, CUSA is right in the middle, a little below the MWC and the AAC, a little above the SBC and the lowly MAC.

Tell me again how this is the "worst conference" if you include the 100% ex-I-AA SBC. Not one of today's athletes cares if the school was I-AA when he was in grade school. Anyway, please list these great "advantages". The AD you hate built us an IPF, that is an advantage over some, but not "every" school in the league. We have a loyal fan base, not only locals but, due to the rotten economic system of WV, includes a lot of diaspora. List any more? Rotten economy. Tiny, #70 with one-third of one-percent of the populaiton, TV market, shared with at least four other teams' fans. Tiny radio market. Booster club of less than 4K members. Not named for a city or state, limited name recognition. Conference not up ESPN's a** and thus ignored by the thought controllers there. Second smallest public school enrollment in the league, among the 15 smallest public school enrollments in I-A. Welfare addicted and thus drug infested town. A hostile state government that has grossly underfunded the school for nearly a century in favor of subsidizing out-of-state students at USPAM. Largest single major is teaching, which is the lowest paid college job, meaning limited giving base. Name these great advantages.

There is no doubt in my mind that you actually believe that. And that is sad for you. Nothing this team ever accomplishes will ever suit you, because you expect this to be something like pro wrestlling, where the "good guy" always wins. Wrestling isn't real. Football is, and MU is doing GREAT in a GREAT conference. A conference whose only basis for existence is that every program wants to play football at the same level of commitment.

If you had told me, when I was a student, that MU would someday be among the elite 130 odd programs in the country, have games on TV, play in a wonderful 40K seat stadium with luxury boxes, play teams from the Big 10, SEC, and ACC, and NOTRE DAME coming soon, I would have told you you were crazy.

If I was looking at colleges, and had limited knowledge of MU, your post would have me running in the opposite direction.

Let's type in Google Worst D1 Footbal Conference.

Ok, here is CUSA ranked 9 out of 10

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-every-fbs-college-football-conference#slide2

Hey they got #8 in 2017

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...tball-conference-after-the-2017-season#slide2

Hey this one has CUSA next to last

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...EC-Big-Ten-Big-12-ACC-127681896/#127681896_10

Ranking all 130 Football Teams in 2019, Well, who knows. Lots of bottom feeders there

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-top-130-team-rankings-2019

Dude, you are delusional. Why say something it is not. I said perhaps or maybe even factual it was the worst conference. It has been pointed out time and time again

We could keep providing you evidence until the cows come home.

We have underachieved for awhile. Conference titles? Should get a good chance this year.

Sorry, I missed your list of all those advantages we have over "every" team in the conference. What you posted was some opinion pieces from barstool sports wannabes. Opinions are like, well you know. Everyone has one. And, umm, none of them state what you stated, which is CUSA the "worst league". Because it isn't.

BTW, I was wrong when I said we were among the "15 smallest public schools". Actually it is worse than that. (And yes, I know that different schools and states count students differently, often trying to puff up enrollment by counting satellite campuses, teachers getting Masters on the installment plan, etc.) but MU is actually the 5th smallest public school in I-A. Louisiana Tech, Louisiana @ Monroe, Coastal Carolina (which is growing like a weed and will pass us in a few years) and Wyoming (which is the only real college in the whole state, and named for it, with a state wide following). Then us. Over-achieving. Punching well above our weight.

The sad fact is that NOTHING MU, or perhaps MU under Doc if you are one of those, ever does will suit you. The conference is "easy" and we have all of these "advantages" you are unable to list, so winning it is no accomplishment. Nothing is in your anhedonian world.

I am proud of our wonderful team that rose from ashes to glory, and of our coach and AD, who are over-achieving.

Reactions: alpinisti
Sorry, I missed your list of all those advantages we have over "every" team in the conference. What you posted was some opinion pieces from barstool sports wannabes. Opinions are like, well you know. Everyone has one. And, umm, none of them state what you stated, which is CUSA the "worst league". Because it isn't.

BTW, I was wrong when I said we were among the "15 smallest public schools". Actually it is worse than that. (And yes, I know that different schools and states count students differently, often trying to puff up enrollment by counting satellite campuses, teachers getting Masters on the installment plan, etc.) but MU is actually the 5th smallest public school in I-A. Louisiana Tech, Louisiana @ Monroe, Coastal Carolina (which is growing like a weed and will pass us in a few years) and Wyoming (which is the only real college in the whole state, and named for it, with a state wide following). Then us. Over-achieving. Punching well above our weight.

The sad fact is that NOTHING MU, or perhaps MU under Doc if you are one of those, ever does will suit you. The conference is "easy" and we have all of these "advantages" you are unable to list, so winning it is no accomplishment. Nothing is in your anhedonian world.

I am proud of our wonderful team that rose from ashes to glory, and of our coach and AD, who are over-achieving.
7-5 and 8-4 are over achieving? In CUSA? Really? Finishing in 2nd or 3rd place in a division? One championship?

Wow. Way to set that bar.

We have been over the advantages before. You are settling for mediocrity. Good for you if you are happy with that. I am not.

Reactions: TwentyTen

Literally 90% of that post was utter and complete nonsense. I seriously read your stuff about CUSA and wondered what planet you live on to make such statements. Marshall has as nice or better facilities than anybody in CUSA in football. Beautiful 40K stadium, state of the art IPF, state of the art weight room, fantastic football locker room a very nice facilities building. One of the top 5 football fan bases in G5. When you compare us to nearly every other program in CUSA as a whole we are way above. Since Doc has been here we have finished either at the top or second place in recruiting. This isn’t my opinion this is Rivals, ESPN, and several other recruiting sources. So obviously poor little old Marshall and poor old Huntington hasn’t hurt us in that arena.

So with all of that going for us and playing in a depleted conference that is consistently rated the worst or next to worst conference in America. You feel that 8-4 is a GREAT achievement? Winning the conference once since we have been in the conference is a great accomplishment?

Also please stop your straw men arguments when it comes to people like Herdman. Herdman has never said he expected undefeated seasons every year, he’s never said we should be able to beat schools like Alabama or Clemson etc. He has said he expects us to consistently win our conference, every once in awhile make a run at the Access bowl, beat crappy to mediocre P5 schools. It’s hilarious to me that you think it’s unacceptable that Marshall should beat a 5-6 Va Tech team. Or at the very least not get blown out if the stadium. It doesn’t bug you that Va Tech picked us to schedule a game with so they could get to 6 wins and a bowl game?

Lastly this isn’t the early 70s or our FCS years where we took our check and just hoped nobody got hurt. We have been FBS since 1997, in that time frame we have won bowl games, had heisman finalists, conference championships, produced NFL players. The days of us playing a game for a check with the exception of the elite of the elite should be over.

By the way the lowly MAC that you constantly criticize has had teams participate in BCS games when that was the Access Bowl as well as an Access Bowl game. In the time Marshall has been in great conference USA we have had exactly zero teams participate in either of those bowl games.

Cincy....especially if they get win again Ohio State prior to our game.

giphy.gif

And I'm just on the first page and already there are two troll accounts posting o_O

Doc will get an extension as long as he wants to be here
And, that is a big part of the problem right there. I don't get that at all. That is ludicrous on Marshall's part to expose themselves to that. Plain ludicrous and bad business. Let's hope we win a championship this year. Why would you give a guy a lifetime coaching gig who has one championship in a decade?

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
You think Doc deserves that kind of contract and gig?

That's not my point. I just thought it was funny that a disciple of Dan would make that comment.

I don't think there's ever been a coach at Marshall (in any sport) that deserves that type of contract.

The only college coaches worthy of something like that are Coach K and Saban.

That's not my point. I just thought it was funny that a disciple of Dan would make that comment.

I don't think there's ever been a coach at Marshall (in any sport) that deserves that type of contract.

The only college coaches worthy of something like that are Coach K and Saban.
I agree

We have been over the advantages before.

No, we have not. As I stated, we have a very large fan base for a G5 program, and we have solid facilities, as good as anybody's, P5 or G5. That is it, AFAIK.

People want to see Marshall as somehow "above" and "special". Fact is everybody thinks that relative to what they know and love. I just is not so. Fact is we are punching way above our weight. And, you have allowed your hate of CUSA, and as I now am recognising, Doc, to twist that feeling of specialness into a dismissal of any accomplishment.

There is no real good reason that we should be any worse than 9-3. I'm going to guess we lose one we should've one and finish 8-4. In the CUSA East though, that may be good enough to get us to the CUSA Championship game.

Reactions: Herdsavedme
Marshall is always a winner because, we exist as a program and have the best fans in the World who understand better than most what true lose is!

No, we have not. As I stated, we have a very large fan base for a G5 program, and we have solid facilities, as good as anybody's, P5 or G5. That is it, AFAIK.

People want to see Marshall as somehow "above" and "special". Fact is everybody thinks that relative to what they know and love. I just is not so. Fact is we are punching way above our weight. And, you have allowed your hate of CUSA, and as I now am recognising, Doc, to twist that feeling of specialness into a dismissal of any accomplishment.
I like winning and we have won at a much higher level before going back to the Southern Conf. We do have advantages and I don't like the mediocrity of the football program recently. Marshall finishing second or third in our division is not a major accomplishment. That is honestly a let down and it should be considered a let down. Most people recognize that. I don't hate anybody or really anything in regard to a football coach or a conference. You might be happy with 7 and 5 or 8 and 4 or finishing second or third in this conference but I am not. Frankly, I find Doc to be a solid guy who I think cares about coaching football and cares about Marshall. I find him to be an average football coach and I don't want Marshall to be average.

We do have advantages and I don't like the mediocrity of the football program recently.

Then please list them.

I'll start.

- We have excellent facilities, mostly thanks to our best AD ever. As good as anyone's, G5 or P5.
- We have a great G5 level fan base. Locally, and, and this will become more important as the media world shifts from TV channels most everybody pays for to team and league specific internet packages hardcore fans pay for, spread out all over the eastern part of the country, due to the local economy. Contrasted to most teams in the lowly MAC, the SBC, or the bottom half of CUSA or the over-hyped AAC, we are light years ahead in fans.

Clue: That is it. Everybody wants to think "we are special" and "we have the best fans in the world" and other such middle school level coachspeak. That is not reality.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Then please list them.

I'll start.

- We have excellent facilities, mostly thanks to our best AD ever. As good as anyone's, G5 or P5.
- We have a great G5 level fan base. Locally, and, and this will become more important as the media world shifts from TV channels most everybody pays for to team and league specific internet packages hardcore fans pay for, spread out all over the eastern part of the country, due to the local economy. Contrasted to most teams in the lowly MAC, the SBC, or the bottom half of CUSA or the over-hyped AAC, we are light years ahead in fans.

Clue: That is it. Everybody wants to think "we are special" and "we have the best fans in the world" and other such middle school level coachspeak. That is not reality.
Well there are two right there!

Second, ODU, Charlotte in our division? Really? Patsy city. They weren't even good at IAA. Other than being in a recruiting hotbed what the hell has FIU, FAU ever done? Seriously? WKU? Has done pretty well. Up and down.
Cupcake city.

Seriously, at one time we finished 10 in the nation. Had some Heisman hopefuls. Where is the excitement around the program? Like it or not, the program is stale and stagnant.

The other teams really don't have a monetary advantage against us. they have little no fan bases. They have no tradition. None of them do really. I will give WKU a bone. But, the others I mentioned none really. ODU is trying I guess.

What's doc really done at a high level honestly? And what point do you say this guy peaked and we are getting a little stagnant?

At one time, for a long time, Marshall Football wanted to accelerate, get better, be exciting, grow. Not is just lame excuses and fabricated glory for a terrible football league.

Southern Miss has GREAT tradition. Two NFL Hall of Famers (Ray Guy and Brett Favre). Wins against Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida State, Mississippi State, Nebraska and other top tier programs. Don’t get me wrong here. I’m a Herd fan all the way. But please give Southern Miss a little respect. Yes, I do live in south MS. Go Herd! Quite frankly I’m sick of posters being so negative about the program and CUSA! If you aren’t on board, just jump ship!!

Southern Miss has GREAT tradition. Two NFL Hall of Famers (Ray Guy and Brett Favre). Wins against Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida State, Mississippi State, Nebraska and other top tier programs. Don’t get me wrong here. I’m a Herd fan all the way. But please give Southern Miss a little respect. Yes, I do live in south MS. Go Herd! Quite frankly I’m sick of posters being so negative about the program and CUSA! If you aren’t on board, just jump ship!!
I agree Southern Miss has great tradition. Marshall and Southern Miss. There are two! And, they are in the other division.

Oh, and the whole jump ship attitude is crazy. I think that is going on out of complacency and boredom. That's not a good thing.

We are in perhaps, or even factual, the worst D1 conference in the country. We have nearly every advantage over every conference opponent other than recruiting area. 2 teams in our own division were IA upstarts a few years ago. This League is not that hard.

We are a consistent underachiever. You applaud that as if we have done something special. We have not. How hard should it be for Marshall to win this league consistently?

Maybe I am the one who cares more about the program that you as I expect more. All you care about is kissing the admins ass(here and down on 3rd avenue). Frankly, they are coasting along in terms of the football program. Little Johnny C pluses are ok on your report card even though you should be an A student.

This. This sums up the majority of the issues with the football program and athletic department.

In fact, it could probably apply to what's wrong with the city of Huntington and the State of West Virginia but that's a discussion for another board.

A hostile state government that has grossly underfunded the school for nearly a century in favor of subsidizing out-of-state students at USPAM.

Do you honestly believe the stuff you write on this site? There is one, ONE national university in our state and it is funded as such. I’m sure I’ll get some jokes about academics, but the truth is WVU is an R1 Level Research University. In other rankings, the entrance profile of each incoming freshman class and retention rate carry far more weight than the actual level of education received and quality of research conducted. WVU has a duty to educate the youth of our state.

WVU is fast approaching 3x Marshall’s enrollment so why shouldn’t the university get the lion’s share of the funding. Also, since when did bringing in out of state dollars count as a negative factor of evaluating a university?

Pro-Marshall legislators complained enough about WVU having engineering, physical therapy, and pharmacy schools that MU was eventually given the additional financial resources to restart/found those programs. Does a state with the population of WV need 3 engineering schools, 3 physical therapy schools, and 3 pharmacy schools? Probably not, but WVU has them so apparently Marshall needs them too.

In terms of athletics, almost 50% of your athletics budget is subsidized by the state and student fees. Then look at the fraction of state support that WVU gets and still doesn’t ask for any more. What are you complaining about again?

Listen, I have no problem with the state granting extra funds to support those programs at MU or the state subsidizing Marshall athletics at the rate they do. It’s just disingenuous and factually incorrect to complain about a lack of funding from the State of WV.

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe the stuff you write on this site? There is one, ONE national university in our state and it is funded as such. I’m sure I’ll get some jokes about academics, but the truth is WVU is an R1 Level Research University. In other rankings, the entrance profile of each incoming freshman class and retention rate carry far more weight than the actual level of education received and quality of research conducted. WVU has a duty to educate the youth of our state.

WVU is fast approaching 3x Marshall’s enrollment so why shouldn’t the university get the lion’s share of the funding. Also, since when did bringing in out of state dollars count as a negative factor of evaluating a university?

Pro-Marshall legislators complained enough about WVU having engineering, physical therapy, and pharmacy schools that MU was eventually given the additional financial resources to restart/found those programs. Does a state with the population of WV need 3 engineering schools, 3 physical therapy schools, and 3 pharmacy schools? Probably not, but WVU has them so apparently Marshall does too.

In terms of athletics, almost 50% of your athletics budget is subsidized by the state and student fees. Then look at the fraction of state support that WVU gets and still doesn’t ask for anymore. What are you complaining about again?

Listen, I have no problem with the state granting extra funds to support those programs at MU or the state subsidizing Marshall athletics at the rate they do. It’s just disingenuous and factually incorrect to complain about a lack of funding from the Stare if WV.

So what you are saying is we are going 9 and 3 in the regular season?

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
So what you are saying is we are going 9 and 3 in the regular season?

I’d say after looking at your schedule, anywhere from 8-4 to 10-2. I’m going to be optimistic and say 9-3 or 10-2 with a trip to the C-USA Championship Game.

I understand this is a Marshall forum, but what Sam posts are absolute falsehoods.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT