ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Home Attendance Expectations

Truth be told Marshall is a 30k max fan base without the aide of a P5 visiting team. From what I recall we expanded to 38k because allegedly P5s wouldn't visit small stadiums. I know that was WVU's excuse for a long time for not coming here. Still Marshall is never going to average 35k. If we didn't from 1996-2002 we likely never will.

Apparently if you win, it doesn't matter.

While soccer and football are totally different worlds, the fact a sport with a relatively smaller overall interest, can expand stadium seating in its own stadium.

All because they not only win, but the narrative of the program isn't riddled with idiots constantly complaining about every single little detail associated with the sport.

Part of this has, and will be, the marketing of the team. A true "maximum threshold" of success a team can achieve. For soccer, its a NC. For football? Its the Access Bowl.
MU fans have to stop dismissing the bowl games because they do, apparently matter...its just the narrative used which dismisses interest.
Until there is a completely stated, totally guaranteed spot for a G5 like Marshall, people need to embrace what there is available and stop acting like MU is above it all.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Agree 100%. Other than Athens and possibly Monroe, the economy in and around Huntington is depressed compared to others listed. Hopefully Spears and Co. can come up with ideas and plans to increase our gate and butts in seats. First priority is getting students to attend in large numbers - every home game. They have sucked the last several years.

The problem is, people question every move done instead of just participating.
Literally anything done comes under scrutiny, disguised as "well I give to the BG so MU owes me!!"
Instead of letting it happen and seeing what becomes of it, it becomes a reason for them to not engage and be hesitant.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

While soccer and football are totally different worlds, the fact a sport with a relatively smaller overall interest, can expand stadium seating in its own stadium.

All because they not only win, but the narrative of the program isn't riddled with idiots constantly complaining about every single little detail associated with the sport.

Part of this has, and will be, the marketing of the team. A true "maximum threshold" of success a team can achieve. For soccer, its a NC. For football? Its the Access Bowl.
MU fans have to stop dismissing the bowl games because they do, apparently matter...its just the narrative used which dismisses interest.
Until there is a completely stated, totally guaranteed spot for a G5 like Marshall, people need to embrace what there is available and stop acting like MU is above it all.
Good point.

Therein lies the differences in systems for olympic sports and football... In every other sport, theoretically of course, Marshall has a chance to win a national championship. Soccer has done it.

In football, we could go 11-2, win the Sun Belt, and if we aren't in the access bowl against the Big12 champ there is a segment people who are going to be disappointed and thus downplay the season.

If soccer, basketball, softball, etc. finish in or around the top 25 and make it to the NCAA tourney its a good year... Win a postseason game or two and it's an incredible year... Football, go 11-2, win the Bad Boy Mowers Boca Raton Football Classic, and it barely causes a ripple for anyone other than us die hards.

Good point.

Therein lies the differences in systems for olympic sports and football... In every other sport, theoretically of course, Marshall has a chance to win a national championship. Soccer has done it.

In football, we could go 11-2, win the Sun Belt, and if we aren't in the access bowl against the Big12 champ there is a segment people who are going to be disappointed and thus downplay the season.

If soccer, basketball, softball, etc. finish in or around the top 25 and make it to the NCAA tourney its a good year... Win a postseason game or two and it's an incredible year... Football, go 11-2, win the Bad Boy Mowers Boca Raton Football Classic, and it barely causes a ripple for anyone other than us die hards.

Its a stupid and exhausted excuse to not support the team. Even if you're not for the bowl games, bitching about it is a useless method to apply.
It's also a great indicator that MU are fooling themselves they'd care if they moved conferences.
"Lets go back to the MAC...it's time!"
Minus the laughs of the sheer idiocy of that belief, all the fans did was complain when we drew MAC schools in the bowl games...if fans can't be excited for that, how will they be excited for a conference opponent? Same for the AAC. Nobody is going to care when Temple comes to town in late October any more than MTSU.

I don't know if MU was ranked at the start of their NC title run, but they weren't seeded when they won it all.
It says something for the support, but also the journalism surrounding the team to focus on what it has going for it.
I big reason, I think, is the lack of soccer knowledge in general...so people can't complain because they don't know the sport.
Sadly, that will change (the complaining, not increase of knowledge of the sport).

Football is something people have to make a positive exception for. If MU ever wins an Access Bowl, then that's our goal...and the support (having seen others in the G5 win them) should follow.
Instead, its all the bad things the program has done and every reason to not support the program because MU cannot get past its own misery.
The CFP is attainable, Cincy showed it. The AAC is down. The SBC is up. Go unbeaten and you're in. Tough order, but it has been done.

Literally anything done comes under scrutiny, disguised as "well I give to the BG so MU owes me!!"
Instead of letting it happen and seeing what becomes of it, it becomes a reason for them to not engage and be hesitant.
Yep. Heck, some people are questioning where the money came from to bring in the guest coaches this week? I say, who the hell cares where it came from. It’s a plus for MU and the football program. How can anyone have an issue with that is beyond me.

Its a stupid and exhausted excuse to not support the team. Even if you're not for the bowl games, bitching about it is a useless method to apply.
It's also a great indicator that MU are fooling themselves they'd care if they moved conferences.
"Lets go back to the MAC...it's time!"
Minus the laughs of the sheer idiocy of that belief, all the fans did was complain when we drew MAC schools in the bowl games...if fans can't be excited for that, how will they be excited for a conference opponent? Same for the AAC. Nobody is going to care when Temple comes to town in late October any more than MTSU.

I don't know if MU was ranked at the start of their NC title run, but they weren't seeded when they won it all.
It says something for the support, but also the journalism surrounding the team to focus on what it has going for it.
I big reason, I think, is the lack of soccer knowledge in general...so people can't complain because they don't know the sport.
Sadly, that will change (the complaining, not increase of knowledge of the sport).

Football is something people have to make a positive exception for. If MU ever wins an Access Bowl, then that's our goal...and the support (having seen others in the G5 win them) should follow.
Instead, its all the bad things the program has done and every reason to not support the program because MU cannot get past its own misery.
The CFP is attainable, Cincy showed it. The AAC is down. The SBC is up. Go unbeaten and you're in. Tough order, but it has been done.
That is exactly why I try to go the bowl game any time I can, whether the team is 6-6 or 11-1 (and I buy tickets even when I can't make the trip)... The bowl game has to matter. It has to matter to the kids, to the coaches, and most importantly to our group of people who have the means to support the program.

The current postseason system blows for every G5 team but one... There is nothing we can do to change that, so we need to make the most of whatever bowl game we end up in. Unfortunately, no one will ever be able to sell that idea to 90 percent of our fan base, let alone casual football fans in the tri-state area.

It has nothing to do with how we market the soccer team vs football. Soccer won a national championship. That's different. What you're seeing is the addition of fruntrunner bandwagon fans and only a few hundred. Football isn't doing that. An Access Bowl berth is not remotely on the same level as winning the national title. And you're talking about adding 1000 seats lol as opposed to selling out a 38k seat stadium or the regular.

Marshall football was at its absolute pinnacle from 1992-1999 and we did well to get to 30k. It is what it is. There is no amount of marketing or ticket slashing that is going to remedy that.

You know what holds Marshall back from filling the stadium week in and week out? The enrollment. Marshall is the 405th largest university. In 2020 we had an enrollment of 13,204. We're not exactly churning out a ton of Marshall fans and sadly a good bit of that 13,204 are WVU fans that happen to go to Marshall. It sucks, but it's true. A school like UCF on the other hand ranks 10th with 68,475 and up and comer Liberty is 6th with 79,152. Any discussions on football stadium expansion for us was and is still dumb.

Unless the population of WV greatly increases, Huntington stops being crap hole, and the overall perception of Marshall changes in the state (I don't ever see that happening) we are what we are and unfortunately as those with ties to the crash pass away our core fan base is going to dwindle even more.

Knock down the the erector set endzone, put in a party concourse with premium suites above, and redo the seating in the rest of the stadium and call it a day. A 30k seat stadium is going to look and sound a lot fuller than it is than the 38k seat stadium we have now.

I truly believe that Christian Spears number one goal is to bring the community back to Marshall sports, and if there is one thing that I feel I have learned about him in his short tenure it is that ....he doesnt fail....at anything.....ever.

So strap up, its going to be a fun ride! But its not going to be free, and it shouldn't be free!!!!

GO HERD!

I truly believe that Christian Spears number one goal is to bring the community back to Marshall sports, and if there is one thing that I feel I have learned about him in his short tenure it is that ....he doesnt fail....at anything.....ever.

So strap up, its going to be a fun ride! But its not going to be free, and it shouldn't be free!!!!

GO HERD!
I like this guy a lot. And have said he and Brad Smith will be very good for Marshall, all the way around.

2014 really showed how much winning correlates to higher attendance. Since 2005 we have only had four non P5 games (kinda, not including a soon to be ranked Cincy in 2019) with over 30k in attendance, with three coming in 2014. Our attendance that year averaged over 28k per game with a low of a little over 23.5k for a black Friday game in the lower 30's with the championship already secured.

With that said, both the fans and the team have a role in increasing attendance. Both sides of the finger pointing spend too much time blaming the other. If both sides don’t row the boat we are just going to continue to spin in circles.

Good point.

Just my opinion, but I feel like generally fans care more about football. Making wining more important and losing more scrutinized.

More importantly I think the post season in college football is broken right now, I personally could careless about 80 percent of the bowl games. Expand the playoff the right way and I’ll watch every game. Huntington would have a parade if Marshall won a college football playoff game.

I think going forward, 2023 and beyond, Marshall should focus more on the quality of seating options rather than just the number of seats.

Outside of the west side suites, there is no premium or club seating options in the stadium. And before anyone says it, there’s nothing premium about the current chair backs. If you’ve ever sat in one for longer than 15 minutes you would understand what I’m saying.
Agree, I think Marshall does fairly well with attendance considering Huntington’s population size. I’d really say our attendance is close to capped with our population and alumni size. That said Marshall does have a benefit a lot of places don’t. Marshall doesn’t have any pro sports to compete against locally. Pro sports tend to focus on selling premium seating to businesses. I personally think Marshall could be quite successful at doing this by building more boxes or club seating where the green bleachers are now. There is always a waiting list for the current boxes as is.

The problem with the Marshall group think is it is so different from what we were during our glory years.

- People don’t like the teams we play. Its who we play. It is the level we are at. Sit down and watch the game.

- People don’t like the bowls we go to. Its who we play. It is how the system works. Shut up and watch the game.

- People think MU is somehow just supposed to win, because it is supposed to. We are just automatically better than peer programs, which represent bigger schools in larger area with successful economies.

I don't usually agree with you, but this is spot on. It seems the attitude lately has been I am going to find something wrong so I can complain instead of what can I do to make the program better.

For the record I was guilty of that with the DOC/Hamrick regime, but am completely bought in with the Smith/Spears team. They truly are trying to make this We are Marshall!

The problem with the Marshall group think is it is so different from what we were during our glory years.

- People don’t like the teams we play. Its who we play. It is the level we are at. Sit down and watch the game.

- People don’t like the bowls we go to. Its who we play. It is how the system works. Shut up and watch the game.

- People think MU is somehow just supposed to win, because it is supposed to. We are just automatically better than peer programs, which represent bigger schools in larger area with successful economies.
I think most fans understand these aren't all or nothing propositions.

Most years Im not super excited about whatever bowl we end up in, especially as a 6 or 7 win team, but I understand why its important to be supportive of the program. I, like most of us on here, am going to support MU no matter the outcome of the season because I value MU athletics.

Back in the 90s, the reason there was more buzz and a more general sense of excitement/support is because average Joes were into Marshall football. The team wasn't just good, it was nationally ranked. Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, were stars -- Not just by Huntington/Marshall standards, but legit stars. We weren't just beating teams, we were steamrolling them. The attitude was we'd play anybody, any time. We were the fun, lovable underdog for a decade.

We had a brief glimpse of that feeling again in 2013-2014 with Cato, and that group... We will have it again at some point, but that momentum never lasts forever. And unfortunately once it slows (the Snyder years) its hard to keep the non-die hards interested. Especially as you pointed out, in an area with a small population base and stagnant at best economy.

I don't usually agree with you, but this is spot on. It seems the attitude lately has been I am going to find something wrong so I can complain instead of what can I do to make the program better.

For the record I was guilty of that with the DOC/Hamrick regime, but am completely bought in with the Smith/Spears team. They truly are trying to make this We are Marshall!
This is not exclusive to the MU fan base, all schools have fans that complain. My favorite was years ago after Michigan St lost in the last minute to Notre Dame. The call in show afterward was epic and made rounds on back then - what was social media and mostly snippets aired on other radio stations. The MSU fans, even the color analyst from their radio network went ballistic on the staff, their QB, etc. It was hilarious.

It's just these days, the complaining is viewed more on message boards, social media, etc. Too hard not to ignore or not see it.

Heck, I am sure someone complained that we didn't beat BYU by a large enough margin during the bowl game in 99 to finish off the perfect season. lol!

Reactions: RhinoD
I think most fans understand these aren't all or nothing propositions.

Most years Im not super excited about whatever bowl we end up in, especially as a 6 or 7 win team, but I understand why its important to be supportive of the program. I, like most of us on here, am going to support MU no matter the outcome of the season because I value MU athletics.

Back in the 90s, the reason there was more buzz and a more general sense of excitement/support is because average Joes were into Marshall football. The team wasn't just good, it was nationally ranked. Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, were stars -- Not just by Huntington/Marshall standards, but legit stars. We weren't just beating teams, we were steamrolling them. The attitude was we'd play anybody, any time. We were the fun, lovable underdog for a decade.

We had a brief glimpse of that feeling again in 2013-2014 with Cato, and that group... We will have it again at some point, but that momentum never lasts forever. And unfortunately once it slows (the Snyder years) its hard to keep the non-die hards interested. Especially as you pointed out, in an area with a small population base and stagnant at best economy.
Spot on!

I agree. I think both want whats best for themselves and MU (whichever order you put that in).

People just wish things could be simple, I get that.
The problem is, WVians are slow. Not on the intellectual end (although that can be discussed in a different thread), but on the adaptive end.
The bigwigs of college sports have pushed artificial aspects of football beyond what anyone thought they'd be currently. Once more, it also masks what would be the natural progression of the sport itself.

This sort of issue is tough for many to adapt to because what is something that would progress on its own and what is something artificial?

Rather than trying to figure that out, MU fans (in this case) just dismiss the whole thing and disregard any new ideas.
It is somewhat of a method to avoid complex thoughts, but is also very lazy.

with COVID mostly done & some great home games, it will be interesting to see if that fans & students start coming back to the games. all of this assume we are winning too

If we are being honest... Just based purely on talent on the field, there is no reason not to be 4-1 at worst going in to the Wednesday night ESPN game... No offense to Norfolk State, Bowling Green, Gardner Webb or Troy, but if we lose to those guys we have bigger problems than attendance projections.

App State will have a crowd, they will travel, especially if the weather is good... That should be our best attended game of the season. If we are playing for the East, even better.

Sad to say, Marshall is also fighting against long-term demographic trends within its demographic footprint as well (i.e. population decline in particular = less butts in the seats at the Joan).

Sad to say, Marshall is also fighting against long-term demographic trends within its demographic footprint as well (i.e. population decline in particular = less butts in the seats at the Joan).
Damn it man, don't you know the fact that a third of Huntington's population live below the poverty line and another 20% right at it; doesn't mean a thing. Those people don't need to eat, they should come to the games, give to the BG. That would make their lives much better.

Learn the market, your customer base, their buying trends, discretionary income - all business basics.

i don't think we draw well at all from the actual city limits of Huntington from any income demographic. I'd love to see a list of the addresses for season ticket holders, I''m sure there are a ton from Huntington but the geographic distribution would probably surprise many. All I know, is most of the people I see on the west lot are from Teays Valley to Charleston or out of state, of course that's just people I know BUT I know alot of folks from Huntington too but don't see much of them.

People in 2022:

Less money, “less time”, don’t want to be around many other people at once.

Marshall can’t afford one, much less two, FBS games any longer.

Watched Florida St game and FAU/ CLT game, both stadiums had scads of empty seats. Folks aren’t attending like they used. The exception being about 10 of the top programs - game in, game out.

It has nothing to do with how we market the soccer team vs football. Soccer won a national championship. That's different. What you're seeing is the addition of fruntrunner bandwagon fans and only a few hundred. Football isn't doing that. An Access Bowl berth is not remotely on the same level as winning the national title. And you're talking about adding 1000 seats lol as opposed to selling out a 38k seat stadium or the regular.

Marshall football was at its absolute pinnacle from 1992-1999 and we did well to get to 30k. It is what it is. There is no amount of marketing or ticket slashing that is going to remedy that.

You know what holds Marshall back from filling the stadium week in and week out? The enrollment. Marshall is the 405th largest university. In 2020 we had an enrollment of 13,204. We're not exactly churning out a ton of Marshall fans and sadly a good bit of that 13,204 are WVU fans that happen to go to Marshall. It sucks, but it's true. A school like UCF on the other hand ranks 10th with 68,475 and up and comer Liberty is 6th with 79,152. Any discussions on football stadium expansion for us was and is still dumb.

Unless the population of WV greatly increases, Huntington stops being crap hole, and the overall perception of Marshall changes in the state (I don't ever see that happening) we are what we are and unfortunately as those with ties to the crash pass away our core fan base is going to dwindle even more.

Knock down the the erector set endzone, put in a party concourse with premium suites above, and redo the seating in the rest of the stadium and call it a day. A 30k seat stadium is going to look and sound a lot fuller than it is than the 38k seat stadium we have now.

Well, what did the soccer stadium seat before? 2,000 people? Adding 1,000 seats is literally a 50% increase, no matter how you want to spin it, that's a lot.
Ask any college program if they've increased their seating capacity by 50%, they'd be shocked something like that exists.
The student body part is, once more, lame and a poor excuse. You use ucf's student body as an example, but also forget to mention when they first made the CUSA title game, they had to hand out free tickets to passerbys...and they are in Orlando, the largest city in FL I believe...and they can't routinely sell out.
Wow, it took ucf several years to entice just 40,000 people in a city and enrollment far beyond it, to attend a game on Saturdays? Is that really something to brag about?

Take a place like Nebraska who has more livestock than humans living in the state, and they fill up consecutively for decades.

MU is in a tri-state Metro area that has more than enough people to fill the Joan. The student body could show up and you'd still need to have 26,000 complaining fools to fill in the rest. Furthermore, knowing MU, if the student body expanded, ticket holders would complain about the drinking, the sinning, and the smell of the Devil's lettuce.

The key to this is retaining the young, professional graduates and keeping them nearby and engaged in MU in some way.
A major reason for all the state-wide pessimism on MU and Huntington, is because the optimism moves away...as WV as a whole, sucks.
Of course, that is very far beyond MU's reach and is a state-wide problem.
But, as I said, people like Brad Smith aren't stopping at MU to make big things happen.

I think the hype around the season is mediocre from the marketing department and communications. This will hurt attendance I'm afraid. I am excited, have my season tickets because I'm one of those but I know more about UK football than I know about what we have going on this year.

I think the hype around the season is mediocre from the marketing department and communications. This will hurt attendance I'm afraid. I am excited, have my season tickets because I'm one of those but I know more about UK football than I know about what we have going on this year.

In the last few days we have had four major events. Fan day, Paint the Capitol City Green, Herd Rally and the Reverse Raffle

They have shown pictures of the stadium. Shown the new helmet. Had multiple stories in the paper. Live video updates after practices with coach Huff.

Honest question. Instead of saying they aren’t doing enough. What else is something that can be done?

In the last few days we have had four major events. Fan day, Paint the Capitol City Green, Herd Rally and the Reverse Raffle

They have shown pictures of the stadium. Shown the new helmet. Had multiple stories in the paper. Live video updates after practices with coach Huff.

Honest question. Instead of saying they aren’t doing enough. What else is something that can be done?
Considering their post has UK football in it, my guess would be, not much.

WIN football games of actual significance.

So far, our current coach has never beaten a I-A team with a winning record. All the ho-ha events are only for people that are already in the hardcore group. To get to the casual fans, and to the students, you have the WIN football games.

Of the 10 I-A teams we play this year, there are certainly 3 or 4 against teams that will finish with a winning record. Hopefully CH will be able to win one, or perhaps even more, of those games and no be challenging the MS record next year.

So far, our current coach has never beaten a I-A team with a winning record. All the ho-ha events are only for people that are already in the hardcore group. To get to the casual fans, and to the students, you have the WIN football games.

Of the 10 I-A teams we play this year, there are certainly 3 or 4 against teams that will finish with a winning record. Hopefully CH will be able to win one, or perhaps even more, of those games and no be challenging the MS record next year.

Ok. So. That’s not even close to being something that the marketing department can work on. But thanks for trying I guess.

Notre Dame, Louisiana, Coastal, App State will all finish above .500... Georgia State and Troy are maybes.

How's Liberty going to do in CUSA this year?

Notre Dame, Louisiana, Coastal, App State will all finish above .500... Georgia State and Troy are maybes.
And MU should be the underdog to all four certain .500 teams, and probably to the others as well.

That is why all the marketing ho-ha is just that. So much ho-ha. They can have all the rallies, paint this or that green (or perhaps black), raffle off whatever. It is just falling on deaf ears until people have the perception that they can attend a good game versus a worthy opponent where MU has a chance of actually winning.

Get that accomplished and the rest is easy. Continue to fail at it, and all the raffles and rallies in the universe won’t help.

Reactions: RhinoD

Looking at the Facebook page and there is an post ad for Glenns, post ad for madden tournament post ad for tickets and that takes me back to fan day on August 20th. How about some interviews, action shots, hype video. Twitter is just as bad.
UK 12 posts since yesterday interview, graphics video
WVU 8 posts since yesterday videos, graphics, hype video

I've noticed Marshall does come up with great ideas, but the marketing of that idea is terrible. How many times do you see something advertised one time, or a new fan event started then the next year there is nothing. How many know you can currently get a a pretty sharp looking Herd yard sign for free, I didn't until I saw a post on the other board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT