ADVERTISEMENT

And Now WSAZ just reported

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
That baseball coach Jeff Waggoner has been let go. No reason given. What in the world especially with the new baseball stadium slated to open in 2024.

Reactions: IslandHerd1
Well, I know he has had a bad situation, but we need to win if we get that new stadium and we haven’t exactly been a baseball powerhouse.

Well, I know he has had a bad situation, but we need to win if we get that new stadium and we haven’t exactly been a baseball powerhouse.
He did a great job with nothing, has players in the league, and yet right when he finally was set to have a field and facilities to help him recruit—he’s sent off to pasture? Don’t like it

He did a great job with nothing, has players in the league, and yet right when he finally was set to have a field and facilities to help him recruit—he’s sent off to pasture? Don’t like it
I won’t criticize it because I don’t know why it happened. Maybe he had unreasonable demands, maybe Spears did.

A quick research on the Google machine says that the typical time a baseball coach leaves is right after the season. June. Not October. That makes this an out of cycle hire, with current coaches at other places generally resigned to contracts for next year.

That means, IMHO, one of three things. Obviously Wags coaching ability didn’t change between last May and today. If CS were firing him for on-field reasons, that would have happened then. So:

- There is some NCAA issue.
- CS has some buddy who is washing out of the minor leagues and needs a job.
- There was some sort of dust up (which I doubt).

We deserve to know. We never will.

If it weren't for soccer (a sport that 95% of the country doesn't follow), this train wreck would be a total mess.

Three major sports - football, baseball, and basketball are all in shambles.

But, I digress. . .

Show up the games, wear whatever shade of green you desire, stay until the end, and root, root for the home team. Be a good fan, and go to the games, and contribute any available dollar to the program.

If it weren't for soccer (a sport that 95% of the country doesn't follow), this train wreck would be a total mess.

Three major sports - football, baseball, and basketball are all in shambles.

But, I digress. . .

Show up the games, wear whatever shade of green you desire, stay until the end, and root, root for the home team. Be a good fan, and go to the games, and contribute any available dollar to the program.
Haha... Please ignore the gunfire, explosions, sirens, crying women and children, and animals running amok. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

Glad I have soccer season tickets. We have a coach and team that expect greatness and play the best there is. Too bad Grassie can't be the AD, and coach football, basketball.

The previous AD got too comfortable and it's showed. Sometimes you have to clean house. I just hope Spears and Smith have a plan, the know how, and the funds to back it up.

Glad I have soccer season tickets. We have a coach and team that expect greatness and play the best there is. Too bad Grassie can't be the AD, and coach football, basketball.

The previous AD got too comfortable and it's showed. Sometimes you have to clean house. I just hope Spears and Smith have a plan, the know how, and the funds to back it up.
Good point. Just seems the timing is all wrong about letting the baseball coach go considering his dedication to Marshall. Perhaps he was too demanding in wanting the new baseball stadium named after legendary coach Jack Cook and Spears is going to name it after the highest bidder. Just saying it’s really hard to figure this one out.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I first briefly met Jeff when he was on Elliott Avent’s coaching staff at NC State. A lot of Avent rubbed off because I saw some similarities in style. Difference being Avent has a loaded gun of a program and MU shoots blanks. This change really isn’t a surprise as JW record was not good and excuses don’t really matter. I believe the last few years he was a seat filler until they had a new field actually on the way to entice a new coach.

Waggs wasn't a great coach and never built what he needed to. Yes, the stadium was a hindrance but he consistently underperformed.

Waggs wasn't a great coach and never built what he needed to. Yes, the stadium was a hindrance but he consistently underperformed.

If Waggs won 1 game a year...he would be over performing. I don't see how he recruits at all. Our facilities are worse than 80% of the High Schools AND 60% OF MIDDLE SCHOOLS in this country and that is no lie. So you can go P5, G5, FCS, Div. II, NAIA (you should see some of the immaculate NAIA baseball fields) and have better facilities. Some of these kids played on 10x better fields in MIDDLE SCHOOL. This is not hyperbole.

If Waggs won 1 game a year...he would be over performing. I don't see how he recruits at all. Our facilities are worse than 80% of the High Schools AND 60% OF MIDDLE SCHOOLS in this country and that is no lie. So you can go P5, G5, FCS, Div. II, NAIA (you should see some of the immaculate NAIA baseball fields) and have better facilities. Some of these kids played on 10x better fields in MIDDLE SCHOOL. This is not hyperbole.
the majority of his years he played many games in a very nice facility in Charleston. not ideal, but hell a 45 minute bus ride to play in an excellent facility. only in recent years have we been back to the crap we use locally.

And CS has hired former Ohio U head coach Joe Carbone, who graduated Ohio U a year before DD graduated Marshall as a “special assistant for baseball”. No idea what that means.

We are the old coach capital of the world.

And CS has hired former Ohio U head coach Joe Carbone, who graduated Ohio U a year before DD graduated Marshall as a “special assistant for baseball”. No idea what that means.

Sounds like maybe Carbone is going to be in some sort of quasi-GM role... His Masters is from MU and he was an assistant coach here in the 1970s.

Marshall athletics is starting to sound like my local golf course, when guys want something to do in retirement they come to "work" for the club. Mostly they spray out the carts with a garden hose, drink 4 cups of coffee followed by 8 beers, and tell stories about rounds they played 40 years ago. I bet Bill Legg and Carbone have some crazy tales of games from the 1980s.

Only if you are stupid enough to think this means he's coaching. As I understand it he's helping with search. I thought everyone was clamoring for better coaching searches?

Reactions: whf2
Sounds like maybe Carbone is going to be in some sort of quasi-GM role... His Masters is from MU and he was an assistant coach here in the 1970s.

Marshall athletics is starting to sound like my local golf course, when guys want something to do in retirement they come to "work" for the club. Mostly they spray out the carts with a garden hose, drink 4 cups of coffee followed by 8 beers, and tell stories about rounds they played 40 years ago. I bet Bill Legg and Carbone have some crazy tales of games from the 1980s.
Don’t forget the Doppler radar in the cart shed! Good times…..

Checking some history here. A team from the North has not wone the college world series since 1966 when Ohio State wone it. Withita State won it in 1989. But, we can argue where Kansas falls into American Geography. Michigan is the only Northern team to make the finals since 1976.

The power of college baseball is in the South and the West Coast.

So, that is where I would go look for a coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
Checking some history here. A team from the North has not wone the college world series since 1966 when Ohio State wone it. Withita State won it in 1989. But, we can argue where Kansas falls into American Geography. Michigan is the only Northern team to make the finals since 1976.

The power of college baseball is in the South and the West Coast.

So, that is where I would go look for a coach.
And the Coach we just canned came from NC STATE! Being from the "South", or any other geographic region, is in itself not really a valid factor to be considered.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
And the Coach we just canned came from NC STATE! Being from the "South", or any other geographic region, is in itself not really a valid factor to be considered.
Where is our conference based? Where do most of the good teams come from?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So our new AD cannot find a baseball coach on his own? Gee he just needs the BOG and Big Jim and we get another Huff or DD. Whooopee
I'd say that's the protocol we now go by. Not just hiring a buddy for football or flying out to LA to hire a coach and ends up hiring his brother instead. I'll maintain confidence in Spears and Smith to make good hires. We'll see. This will be their first one.

The reason the south and southwest do better in baseball has nothing to do with anything except weather. College baseball is played from February to May. The best players are going to go to the warm weather places.

The SBC is no joke in baseball. We were not really competitive in CUSA, but the SBC is next level.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
The reason the south and southwest do better in baseball has nothing to do with anything except weather. College baseball is played from February to May. The best players are going to go to the warm weather places.

The SBC is no joke in baseball. We were not really competitive in CUSA, but the SBC is next level.
Exactly. Althought as mentioned Oregon has had some success. THey are out west though in the Pac12. Good baseball.

YOu better get a coach that knows it. Go to the South.

I think I will throw my hat in the Baseball ring. For the Love of John Marshall...I have 11 years of experience coaching baseball at the high school level.....but the drawback would be leaving a southern state to move back to WV...I think the lady of the house would say no! Even a HELL No......LOL

The idea that geography would play into the coaching search is laughable. Hopefully the special assistant running the search committee doesn't follow that model.
why would you not want to go look for a coach from where the best programs are and the best baseball is being played?

Reactions: Elkview
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT