ADVERTISEMENT

Another One Bites the Dust

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Max and Erma’s at Pullman Square has gone out of business- no reason given. Another place to eat when coming to a game is gone.

when I came to town recently I was shocked that I could not find a place to have a nice breakfast.
Plenty of local restaurants around Pullman that serve breakfast/brunch. River and Rail, Butter it Up, The Bodega, Bahnhoff (highly recommend their weekend brunch), Black Sheep, Le Bistro. Honey Bones is a new chicken and biscuits restaurant that was opened in the old Black Sheep building near campus and is owned by the same person who owns Black Sheep and Bahnhoff.

What do you consider a nice breakfast?

We have Tudors, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans and believe it or not, Waffle House is very good and cheap.

Would like a First Watch but that will never happen.
I agree. I have breakfast regularly at Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel with some IHOP sprinkled in.

I ate a Black Sheep for the first time on Saturday night and was pretty impressed... It would be great to have another restaurant with a craft beer component in Pullman Square. Carolina Ale House comes to mind (They are building all over the place in NC/SC/TN).

As for breakfast, whenever I bring my crew up for games we stay in Barbaoursville by the mall so it's either IHOP or Cracker Barrel. Both are fine.

I ate a Black Sheep for the first time on Saturday night and was pretty impressed... It would be great to have another restaurant with a craft beer component in Pullman Square. Carolina Ale House comes to mind (They are building all over the place in NC/SC/TN).

As for breakfast, whenever I bring my crew up for games we stay in Barbaoursville by the mall so it's either IHOP or Cracker Barrel. Both are fine.
The Peddler, between Backyard and HOF Cafe, has its own in-house brewery.

PLEASE.....no more burger joints we have enough in the Huntington area.

I am surprised there is not a good "sit down" seafood restaurant in Barboursville area.

Reactions: Elkview
PLEASE.....no more burger joints. THERE ARE ENOUGH in the Huntington area.

Agree. Red Robin, Carrabas, Changs, Cheescake Factory would all be nice with varied menus. Doubt they would come, the latter two need more space. Hopefully they can get someone to fill the space. Would hate to see it set empty for a long period of time.

What amazes me is, with the number of places to eat downtown, just about every one is packed/busy most nights. A place has to have nasty food or bad service not to make it around here. Yeah, eateries are expensive to run but..... in this area we like to eat out. lol!

Our lunch group used to eat there almost every week and slowly quit doing so a couple of years ago. It was obvious they were changing the food items using cheaper products and smaller quantities while maintaining the same and elevated price points. Mixing that with all the new and better food options downtown meant it was only a matter of time.

Max & Erma's almost died as a chain ten years ago during the recession. The Huntington location was one of a handful that survived, but this has probably been coming for a while.

Max & Erma's was fine until they were bought out in 2008 by an investment firm, which then went bankrupt a year later. The company which has owned it ever since has done nothing innovative, and has had very poor quality control.

Reactions: herdalicious

If you can't find craft beer in Huntington, you're not looking.

I haven't been back to Huntington in a long time, so I don't know what there might be an over saturation of. But there are 2 smaller franchises here in the Atlanta area (one started and based here, the other started franchising after their Atlanta locations took off as the owners were originally from Atlanta). They both are very good and seem to have maintained a high level of consistency. Even though they have a diverse menu, both are very similar in what they are well know for, Wings and a wide beer selection.

Taco Mac and Wild Wing Cafe

I miss the days when Pullman was just a dirt lot butting up against a Chi-Chis. Now that was a good place to go if you were tired of life and wanted to get killed by a piece of lettuce.

I miss the days when Huntington could host a decent Regatta.

Hell, I miss the days when Pullman had a comedy club and decent movie theater.

Reactions: mufan08
Agree. Red Robin, Carrabas, Changs, Cheescake Factory would all be nice with varied menus. Doubt they would come, the latter two need more space. Hopefully they can get someone to fill the space. Would hate to see it set empty for a long period of time.

Agree, TwolfHerdfan. The area needs some new to the market eateries. Surprised the Huntington area doesn't have a Cheddar's. The one in Beckley is pretty good. Was hoping the development at Tanyard Station would have one of those places you mention. So far, just another same-o, same-o steak house. You'd think that the Charleston-Putnam-Huntington corridor could support a Cheesecake Factory!!

We need another Taco Bell.

I don’t think we have enough of them in the area.
One of the best restaurants ever. I agree. But, when the tostada was removed from the menu along with the chili cheese burrito it was not a smart move by corporate. Very disturbing. The chili cheese burrito was a top notch.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I would level Pullman and bring back Cruise Avenue and the big haired chicks with lots of hair spray from around the tri-state. Get those kids of today off the video games and social media.

Agree, TwolfHerdfan. The area needs some new to the market eateries. Surprised the Huntington area doesn't have a Cheddar's. The one in Beckley is pretty good. Was hoping the development at Tanyard Station would have one of those places you mention. So far, just another same-o, same-o steak house. You'd think that the Charleston-Putnam-Huntington corridor could support a Cheesecake Factory!!

There is a big ‘ol Chedders in Ashland.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT