ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody here had Chicken Cock?

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
They want $199 a bottle for it. Who can give a review of Chicken Cock?

RedStave_3x-100.jpg

I've had some High Wire Jimmy Red finished in Sherry casks (was fantastic).

Can't say I've had that chicken cock though.

Just as a follow up, I got an opinion back from someone I trust on the matter…

“That’s a lot of scratch for something with no age statement. There are a number of others at $200 I would recommend - but if he likes barrel finished whiskeys in wine, might be worth it “

Reactions: i am herdman
Buffalo Trace Distillery, in my opinion, makes the best bourbon.

Pappy Van Winkle: Good luck finding this and if you do, there will be sticker shock. I was given a shot of 23-year for a birthday celebration and it was $100. Very good. MSRP: $250. Be prepared to pay $700 plus

Stagg: Very good, hard to find, but much more reasonable. About $75 if you can find it.

Blantons: Very tasty, also tough to get. About $65, MSRP

E.H. Taylor: Good, but overrated in my opinion. $40

Eagle Rare: Damn good and hard to find. About $35.

Wellers Special Reserve: Very good for the money. $30

Wellers Antique: Supposedly better than Special Reserve, but not in my opinion. Still pretty good. $50

Buffalo Trace: For the money, Very tough to find better. $28. Used to be easy to get. Damn gen Zer's gobble it up.

Rock Hill Farms: Quite possibly my favorite. Another difficult find. Well worth the price and then some. $60 MSRP, but good luck finding it at that price. Closer to $150 - $300. I'd pay more. Anyone who has this and willing to sell? Hit me up!!!

Buffalo Trace makes a lot more bourbons, but these I have tried. You won't go wrong with Buffalo Trace bourbons. I have tried the cheap shit though. Steer clear, unless you mix. For the love of God, don't mix the good stuff. NEAT OR NOTHING!

Reactions: marshallisqbu

Pappy Van Winkle: Good luck finding this and if you do, there will be sticker shock. I was given a shot of 23-year for a birthday celebration and it was $100. Very good. MSRP: $250. Be prepared to pay $700 plus

Stagg: Very good, hard to find, but much more reasonable. About $75 if you can find it.

Wellers Antique: Supposedly better than Special Reserve, but not in my opinion. Still pretty good. $50

Buffalo Trace: For the money, Very tough to find better. $28. Used to be easy to get. Damn gen Zer's gobble it up.

Rock Hill Farms: Quite possibly my favorite. Another difficult find. Well worth the price and then some. $60 MSRP, but good luck finding it at that price. Closer to $150 - $300. I'd pay more. Anyone who has this and willing to sell? Hit me up!!!

Buffalo Trace makes a lot more bourbons, but these I have tried. You won't go wrong with Buffalo Trace bourbons. I have tried the cheap shit though. Steer clear, unless you mix. For the love of God, don't mix the good stuff. NEAT OR NOTHING!
I normally stay away from cream liquors but Buffalo Trace makes a damn good one. Mix with root beer for a good after dinner drink (even better with a cigar).

I'm certainly not an expert but I'll name drop here and tell you that I've been to some seminars and actually have shared drinks with Julian Van Winkle and Preston Weller. Nice dudes. I bought a share of a barrel project a smaller craft distillery they were involved in and learned a lot as part of a charity thing/organization I support.

I think this is a good list though those prices seem waayyy lower than what I usually see (though I'm not in WV). I typically see Blanton's closer to $100 or $110.

I actually don't like Weller special reserve at all but think Weller 12 is fantastic.

I think if new to bourbon a nice entry readily available bourbon is Basil Hayden. If I'm mixing with egg nog or just for mixers or even neat but easily available I also like most of what four roses puts out.

For the high end stuff I think you hit it - Blanton's, obviously Pappy, or some of the higher end Weller stuff. I've had some of the Blood Oath series which is really really good IMO. There are lots of good little distilleries all throughout the country though. I am especially fond of High Wire in Charleston because they have done some really interesting collaborations (with Allen Benton of Benton's bacon fame) and chef Sean Brock and Glen Roberts (of Anson Mills).

Last edited:
Reactions: 30CAT
I'm certainly not an expert but I'll name drop here and tell you that I've been to some seminars and actually have shared drinks with Julian Van Winkle and Preston Weller. Nice dudes. I bought a share of a barrel project a smaller craft distillery they were involved in and learned a lot as part of a charity thing/organization I support.

I think this is a good list though those prices seem waayyy lower than what I usually see (though I'm not in WV). I typically see Blanton's closer to $100 or $110.

I actually don't like Weller special reserve at all but think Weller 12 is fantastic.

I think if new to bourbon a nice entry readily available bourbon is Basil Hayden. If I'm mixing with egg nog or just for mixers or even neat but easily available I also like most of what four roses puts out.

For the high end stuff I think you hit it - Blanton's, obviously Pappy, or some of the higher end Weller stuff. I've had some of the Blood Oath series which is really really good IMO. There are lots of good little distilleries all throughout the country though. I am especially fond of High Wire in Charleston because they have done some really interesting collaborations (with Allen Benton of Benton's bacon fame) and chef Sean Brock and Glen Roberts (of Anson Mills).

There's a small place called Weber's Market in Marietta. On their delivery days and they get Blanton's, you can pick it up for $65. I purchased many bottles of Blanton's. I have enough of the horses to have two staves made up, for free, from Buffalo Trace. The prices I posted are accurate where I get them anyway. They sell their spirits at MSRP. That said, I went to Tennessee for a weekend and purchased some Buffalo Trace. They charged me $60. When I told them I pay $28 at home, they were shocked.

I’m jealous. Your life is much more interesting and cultured than mine. I’m doing something wrong.

My father in law loves the Buffalo trace bourbon. It’s his Christmas present every year.

I’m jealous. Your life is much more interesting and cultured than mine. I’m doing something wrong.

My father in law loves the Buffalo trace bourbon. It’s his Christmas present every year.
It’s really not. I work, shuttle kids to practice and hang out at home and exercise in my garage. That’s about it.

The one thing my wife and i do without kids and love together is these food/beverage things often via the Southern Foodways Alliance. We donate and get to do lots of cool things we care about.

I literally only took off 2.5 weeks a year the last five years.

Barton 1792 (owned by same parent as Buffalo trace) is somewhat hard to get ahold of but goes down nice and warm (like your mom). When I bought in Bardstown earlier this year I think it was 40$ plus

Pappy Van Winkle: Good luck finding this and if you do, there will be sticker shock. I was given a shot of 23-year for a birthday celebration and it was $100.
I got a two finger pour for free from the owner of a well-known joint in Louisville. Why? Because I'm cool. And the owner is my wife's family lol.
Not tough to get. Maybe I am jaded because Louisville, and I could get anything on any day of the week. Haven't sought it out in a small town.
Jesus Christ, this is not hard to find. You can buy it at Sam's Club. But it is very good.
Agreed.
Buffalo Trace: For the money, Very tough to find better. $28. Used to be easy to get
What? The two liquor stores in my town have plenty. And I live in certified BFE in frigging Kansas, these are not even average liquor stores back home.

You want to drink a man's bourbon? Old Granddad Bottled in Bond (so 100 proof). Trust me on this. 27% rye mashbill. You know what has the same mashbill? Basil Hayden's, but that's only 80 proof and the bastards charge twice as much for it. And it may be legitimate difficult for you to find lol.

Reactions: i am herdman
Not here, lucky bastard. And you can't get Eagle Rare at Sam's Club here. Lol!
Sam's Club in Clarksville IN always had Eagle Rare, that's where I would get it.

I didn't notice if the Sam's in Joplin MO has it, but I did notice the liquor section was smaller than the ones in the Louisville area. Go figure lol.

Reactions: 30CAT
I drank some Bulleit this spring at a Wine Tasting. Told them I didn't want wine. The sweetheart girl brought me wine glasses of Bulleit. I ended up falling out of chair, breaking a glass, missed a dinner reservation, and the Mrs had to put me in bed. I pissed in the bushes with my back towards the security camera, but the Mrs didn't know it and nobody said anything . Wasn't my fault they brought me bourbon during a win tasting and the girl didn't know you don't pour it like Moscato.

I drank some Bulleit this spring at a Wine Tasting. Told them I didn't want wine. The sweetheart girl brought me wine glasses of Bulleit. I ended up falling out of chair, breaking a glass, missed a dinner reservation, and the Mrs had to put me in bed. I pissed in the bushes with my back towards the security camera, but the Mrs didn't know it . Wasn't my fault they brought me bourbon during a win tasting and the girl didn't know you don't pour it like Moscado.

Bulleit isn't bad at all. It's one of my go-tos when I can't get the good stuff. Usually, I go for the Elijah Craig, but sometimes I'll grab the Bulleit.

Bulleit isn't bad at all. It's one of my go-tos when I can't get the good stuff. Usually, I go for the Elijah Craig, but sometimes I'll grab the Bulleit.
Well, giving it to me at a wine and cheese tasting social hour at a fancy hotel was not a good idea. She kept pouring it. My wife is a trooper, didn't even get that mad at me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT