ADVERTISEMENT

Appy State

Given that the SBC consists of 3 good (by SBC standards) teams, Appy State, which lost in OT to Penn State; Georgia Southern, which was blown out by Clemson, both for their only loss; and Troy, with two losses, and the rest of the teams are dog awful, it is very possible that somebody comes out of that league 12-1 or 11-2.

And that means the same anything other than 13-0 means in any of the G5. Pre-Christmas bowl versus another G5.

Given that the SBC consists of 3 good (by SBC standards) teams, Appy State, which lost in OT to Penn State; Georgia Southern, which was blown out by Clemson, both for their only loss; and Troy, with two losses, and the rest of the teams are dog awful, it is very possible that somebody comes out of that league 12-1 or 11-2.

And that means the same anything other than 13-0 means in any of the G5. Pre-Christmas bowl versus another G5.

Thanks, but you failed to answer the question. Their only loss may look better than any win they have year to date. Are they being rewarded for the close PSU loss?

Thanks, but you failed to answer the question. Their only loss may look better than any win they have year to date. Are they being rewarded for the close PSU loss?
Absolutely. That's how the P5 schools make sure the small schools stay involved. Our schedule in 2014 will always be punished to the fullest extent because they need wins/home games to prop up their brand.

If the P5 only played each other, there would be far too many schools with .500 records to sell to the public come bowl season with their 40+ bowl games. You know, the regular season is what matters...until it comes time for bowl season and >2/3 of the field gets rewarded with post-season play.

It's good to lose, if you're losing to the P5.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Ranked 25th this week, are they being rewarded for a “good loss?” They have zero wins against anyone with a pulse.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...kings-clemson-slides-no-2-ohio-state-plummets
here's my 2 cents on this marine. I think you are correct on the loss to PSU. I would also think it possible they are getting some love based on their recent past. Going back to 2015 they are 35-10( includes this year). I am of the view that much of this for G5 schools is all reputation.

They have zero wins against anyone with a pulse.

They beat Arkansas State. Ark State isn't a bad team. App State also is 5-1 with all of their wins being by double digits. They crushed a C-USA team that is 2-2. Even after excluding their FCS win, App State's margin of victory is nearly 30 points. They aren't just beating teams. They are demolishing them.

Arkansas State is "dog awful"? Then, what do you consider Marshall?

This week, just like every other week this year, the Sun Belt has been ranked higher than C-USA.

They beat Arkansas State. Ark State isn't a bad team. App State also is 5-1 with all of their wins being by double digits. They crushed a C-USA team that is 2-2. Even after excluding their FCS win, App State's margin of victory is nearly 30 points. They aren't just beating teams. They are demolishing them.

Arkansas State is "dog awful"? Then, what do you consider Marshall?

This week, just like every other week this year, the Sun Belt has been ranked higher than C-USA.

Ark State is a decent win but at 4-3 that’s the best win they have. If ASU finishes the year out with only 1 loss I’ll be ok with a top 25 ranking. They still have Georgia Southern and Troy to play yet. To me though I think it’s early to put them in the top 25 and it appeared they were being rewarded for a close loss to PSU

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
How are they ranked 25th, at 5-1, and Georgia Southern isn't at 6-1? They play each other this weekend so if GS wins, they deserve to be ranked.

Also, If Appy State is ranked 25th with a 5-1 record, with their schedule, then we should be ranked 27th or 28th, with a 5-2 record with our schedule.

How are they ranked 25th, at 5-1, and Georgia Southern isn't at 6-1? They play each other this weekend so if GS wins, they deserve to be ranked.

Also, If Appy State is ranked 25th with a 5-1 record, with their schedule, then we should be ranked 27th or 28th, with a 5-2 record with our schedule.

Had we beat MTSU and did not get wore out at home vs NCSU we may be close to ranked or receiving some votes.

To me though I think it’s early to put them in the top 25 and it appeared they were being rewarded for a close loss to PSU

I'm sure losing a game in OT to Penn State has a lot to do with it, as it should. When you are 5-1 while destroying all your opponents other than an OT loss to a top 20 team, it isn't a stretch to be ranked.

GA Southern was blown out in their loss. App State was as competitive as you could be in a loss. Georgia Southern should have lost to Texas State, won of the worst FBS teams in the country. Compare the two same opponents App State and Georgia Southern have played. On the road, App State beat Arkansas State by 4 possessions. At home, Georgia Southern beat the same team by 1 possession. At home, App State beat USA by 45. At home, Georgia Southern beat USA by 35.

Other than having played one more game (with an easier schedule), Georgia Southern does not come close to App in any measure.

Lets look at teams with similar records, look at their schedules, and see why you think Marshall should be ahead of them before even looking more in-depth at their wins, losses, and how they played each of those games:

Miami: 5-2 (67)
Utah State: 6-1 (111)
Fresno: 6-1 (91)
Texas Tech: 5-2 (38)
San Diego State: 6-1 (77)
Houston: 6-1 (123)
Virginia: 5-2 (43)
Cinci: 6-1 (102)
Buffalo: 7-1 (98)
App: 5-1 (133)

Marshall: 5-2 (119)

Why do you think Marshall deserves to be ahead of any of those teams?

Reactions: johns_1124
I'm sure losing a game in OT to Penn State has a lot to do with it, as it should. When you are 5-1 while destroying all your opponents other than an OT loss to a top 20 team, it isn't a stretch to be ranked.

GA Southern was blown out in their loss. App State was as competitive as you could be in a loss. Georgia Southern should have lost to Texas State, won of the worst FBS teams in the country. Compare the two same opponents App State and Georgia Southern have played. On the road, App State beat Arkansas State by 4 possessions. At home, Georgia Southern beat the same team by 1 possession. At home, App State beat USA by 45. At home, Georgia Southern beat USA by 35.

Other than having played one more game (with an easier schedule), Georgia Southern does not come close to App in any measure.

Lets look at teams with similar records, look at their schedules, and see why you think Marshall should be ahead of them before even looking more in-depth at their wins, losses, and how they played each of those games:

Miami: 5-2 (67)
Utah State: 6-1 (111)
Fresno: 6-1 (91)
Texas Tech: 5-2 (38)
San Diego State: 6-1 (77)
Houston: 6-1 (123)
Virginia: 5-2 (43)
Cinci: 6-1 (102)
Buffalo: 7-1 (98)
App: 5-1 (133)

Marshall: 5-2 (119)

Why do you think Marshall deserves to be ahead of any of those teams?
Some of fans fail to realize how underachieving we as a program are right now. App State would beat us handily.

Didn't we reach 9-0 before we were ranked in 2014? And that was coming off a 10 win season and a bowl win over Maryland in basically a home game for them.

Didn't we reach 9-0 before we were ranked in 2014? And that was coming off a 10 win season and a bowl win over Maryland in basically a home game for them.

Marshall was ranked 25th in the AP poll when they were 6-0. None of those six wins came against a team that finished with a winning record. It wasn't until their tenth game, in mid November, that they played (not just beat, but played) a team that finished with a winning record.

Reactions: jrod64
I think Appy has had a couple of home games with big-time P-5 teams recently? I went down to Boone in the !-AA playoff when we turned their "Black Saturday" green. How many does their stadium seat now?

I think Appy has had a couple of home games with big-time P-5 teams recently? I went down to Boone in the !-AA playoff when we turned their "Black Saturday" green. How many does their stadium seat now?
they seat 30,000 but have had as many as 35,000 for the Wake game last year

Reactions: kdbherdon
I agree with that assertion, but IMO it's not as clean and simple as saying DD develops players and Doc doesn't. There are many variables in that equation.

There may be, but Doc has repeatedly pulled in some upper echelon talent compared to our CUSA brethren but sadly, has little to show for it in 8 plus years. DD has kids that most schools didn't want or that didn't have a plethora of quality offers and has had great success with building them up.

I know Doc has gone through many assistants and that certainly has an impact but it's still on his watch. And I like Doc, he's been loyal and truly believe he loves the school.

I have no problem with App state ranked, I think they are very good. However- Penn State sucks. They have not beaten anyone good other than App State in overtime at home. They are once again overrated, as is the big 10

Reactions: pdbailey
There may be, but Doc has repeatedly pulled in some upper echelon talent compared to our CUSA brethren but sadly, has little to show for it in 8 plus years. DD has kids that most schools didn't want or that didn't have a plethora of quality offers and has had great success with building them up.

I know Doc has gone through many assistants and that certainly has an impact but it's still on his watch. And I like Doc, he's been loyal and truly believe he loves the school.
Agree. You don't have to sell me on it. My thing is that the reason DD can develop is he brings in coachable players, with high basketball IQ, who are scheme specific fits. When DD arrived, someone used the "Miracle on Ice' hockey team as an example of what DD was doing and it's 100% correct. If Doc coached basketball, he'd load up on as many Deandre Kanes, Hassan Whitesides, and Kareem Cantys as he could and we'd look a lot like we did under Donnie Jones. Raw talent thrown onto the floor and lacking a system. The anti-1980 US Hockey team. Herb Brooks and DD couldn't coach what Doc puts together like Doc can either. Everything isn't equal when you try to exchange just one variable in the equation.

In regards to the O.T. - I hope our guys will be ready to go against bye this weekend. I hear they found out King & Anderson are out (clearly HIPPA flagrant 2's), and they are scheming the hell out of their defense so they can nip us in overtime......

As noted Appy holds a win over a CUSA team. Team is Charlotte which is 2-2 in the league so far, probably their best effort since playing CUSA football. CUSA's UAB, unbeaten in league play, has lost to the SB's Coastal Carolina, just very recently a FBS program!!

MU has wins over Miami, (O), 3-5, FCS EKU, WKU, 1-6, ODU, 2-6, and a disappointing FAU squad, 3-4.

Three of our 4 remaining opponents are at .500 or below, with FIU currently 5-2. Even if we run the table in the remaining games, we'll be fortunate in gathering any votes in the polls!

Recruiting it would appear has been good for Docs tenure (according to rankings) the issue has been attrition, development, and on the field performance. Proof of such can be found in the trophy case
Knock on wood, the attrition rates for the last few classes have been very good. The real issue was the attrition rates for the 2012-2015 classes that were built by Seider and Hartley.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Seemed like a good time to revisit this thread. ASU is overrated

I was just about to say that.

You guys should actually watch the game. Within the first series, they were down to their #3 quarterback due to injuries. Not too many teams can lose their two top QBs and move the ball at all.

Marine03 says Appalachian State is “overrated” so does that make Marshall “underrated”?

You guys should actually watch the game. Within the first series, they were down to their #3 quarterback due to injuries. Not too many teams can lose their two top QBs and move the ball at all.

I did watch it, and I still think GA Southern was a better ball club. They were just as athletic on both sides and App had no real answer for them on defense against their rushing attack. Sure, losing their QB hurt but I’m not sure it would have made a 20 point difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: tradebait
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT