ADVERTISEMENT

As far as OC I am hearing

For about a decade now, it’s seemed like Daddy Trickett was keeping his job because of his personality and not because of his coaching ability.
I do think Rick recruited some olineman that did not fit his style. Not sure if that was Jimbo's doing or not but the FSU fans do get wrapped up in star ratings

Travis Trickett's offenses:

2017: 82nd total offense. 117th pts/game

2016 FAU: 72nd total offense. 80th pts /game.

Also, the added bonus of guiding the offense of one of only two FBS teams to lose to us in 2016.

No. Thanks.
If you can land one of the best oline coaches in America it should be a yes, and Doc would agree. This is not even close. Just do it.

m

If coaching staffs do expand in 2018, isn't that extra position to be more like an "analyst" type job instead of a position type coach?

There is no “if” about it. The NCAA approved a tenth full-time assistant for FBS starting about January 14th. At that time, a tenth full-time assistant can be on the road recruiting, coaching, etc.

I haven’t heard of a single FBS team not being able to do this financially. It’s a must for all staffs.

I also haven’t heard of anyone using it as an analyst position as that would take away the entire point of the position. Analyst roles now are not full-time on-field coaches. They can not recruit on the road, technically aren’t supposed to coach on or off of the field, etc.

Schools will use the tenth coach for a wide range of things. Some are using it for a defensive ends coach allowing the defensive line coach to just focus on tackles. Others are using it for an outside LB position or extra offensive line coach. I’m guessing the most will use it for a true special teams coordinator instead of giving that
title to somebody and now being able to take away coaching some kicking units from other position coaches.

Bigger schools (Ohio State) are raiding coordinators from other schools (Washington State) to get a good set of additional eyes on defensive game planning.

Originally, people thought most schools would use it on a great recruiter who would then be on the road a ton doing house/school visits without having to be back for practice/games. But I haven’t seen a single school go with that strategy.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I do think Rick recruited some olineman that did not fit his style. Not sure if that was Jimbo's doing or not but the FSU fans do get wrapped up in star ratings

His style? He had full recruiting freedom at FSU.

The game has passed Poppa Trickett by

You guys really want to hire a guy who position has severely declined to the point that FSU is having a hard time recruiting offensive skill players and QBs. In the words of a Top level 2018 recruit "I don't want to play behind that line and fear for my life" A Coach who took 4 and 5 star lineman and turned them into National Fodder AND he had recruiting freedom to go after and recruit whomever he wanted. You are talking about a coach who was going to get fired if Jimbo would have stayed.

Like I said at Marshall, we are handing out retirement checks.

The Dad hire could make sense if Mirabel heads to Oregon. Or is that dead in the water now?

You guys really want to hire a guy who position has severely declined to the point that FSU is having a hard time recruiting offensive skill players and QBs. In the words of a Top level 2018 recruit "I don't want to play behind that line and fear for my life" A Coach who took 4 and 5 star lineman and turned them into National Fodder AND he had recruiting freedom to go after and recruit whomever he wanted. You are talking about a coach who was going to get fired if Jimbo would have stayed.

Like I said at Marshall, we are handing out retirement checks.
FSU's problem was there QB got hurt. Let me say this, with the budget Marshall has and they are able to land Trickett at a reduced price they would be fool's noy to hire this guy. Remember he is the one that recruited Pat White to Morgantown. Pat loves the guy. btw, Jimbo was not firing that guy, and he has been offered a job at Texas AM. So you would not take a coach that has an offer on the table from Texas AM?

The Dad hire could make sense if Mirabel heads to Oregon. Or is that dead in the water now?
So if Marshall loses the Oline coach then its a perfect fit. Both Trickett boys come as OC and QB coach, with dad coaching oline.

Someone gave Jeff Brohm a chance. I don't care how young they are, as long as they employ a wide open offense.
Getting a guy with experience who has had success at the D1 is gonna be hard.
A young guy like this or someone from FCS is the way to go.

Or we could get a Doc buddy like Rippon was. That didn't work out well.

Not 100% sold on Goebbel.

Rick is the worlds biggest hard ass coach and some of those 5 star kids were not used to being coached hard. 5 star kids wanted their butts kissed and told how great they are and Rick is not about that stuff.

One thing is for sure Chase Litton will get better or get out. I still say this is a long shot.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don't think Litton has ever been pressed to work hard. A good QB coach or any coach should have been all over his ass to get better and become a student of the game. I don't think that's happened at all.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Clint trickett is or was the OC at East Mississippi community college and from the show and videos I’ve seen online they had a pretty solid offensive playcalling..

I am a WVU fan and wish that we could get Rick Trickett back. His O-lines were always tough and well-coached, not Charmin-soft like we have now.

Trier is already here waiting on that 10th full time "coaching" position...

Guess something could be worked out of course. Sure hope Mirabal doesn't leave. Would be insane, IMHO (Don't shoot me) to lose him when a natural move would have been to replace him with Bill Legg, who would (again, don't shoot me) be a great catch as an Oline coach.

Reactions: Sash19

Guess something could be worked out of course. Sure hope Mirabal doesn't leave. Would be insane, IMHO (Don't shoot me) to lose him when a natural move would have been to replace him with Bill Legg, who would (again, don't shoot me) be a great catch as an Oline coach.
I have no dog in this fight but I can confirm the Tricketts are kicking the tires on coaching together someplace, so when it appears on this website it proved what I had heard from another was correct. It will be interesting.

I say again, why is everybody ignoring just how terrible Travis Tricket's offenses have been? I wouldn't want him if he came as a package deal with Bill Callahan.

Reactions: ToesMU
I say again, why is everybody ignoring just how terrible Travis Tricket's offenses have been? I wouldn't want him if he came as a package deal with Bill Callahan.
for the money Marshall can pay there wont be that many options

This and also Doc has shown he will not hire anyone that would challenge his way of doing things be it style of play or discipline/lack thereof.

I get sick of hearing this. Every WVU fan I talk to about it has this same attitude.

Hell, I don't know how the hell we even afford a bottle of Gatorade?

Shucks, guess we better hope somebody volunteers their time, we've never had to PAY a coach before!

It's a very demeaning attitude whether you mean it that way or not.

I get sick of hearing this. Every WVU fan I talk to about it has this same attitude.

Hell, I don't know how the hell we even afford a bottle of Gatorade?

Shucks, guess we better hope somebody volunteers their time, we've never had to PAY a coach before!

It's a very demeaning attitude whether you mean it that way or not.
Look, I have two degrees one from WVU and one from Marshall.

WVU has a money issue as well with the 10th coach. It will be a GA(The new tax bill will impact athletic donations this year so the funds are down in this area). Marshall does not have the funds to go out and bring in a young up and coming superstar hire like everyone thinks. Its called reality. I am not sure how or why this is a shock. Bottom line, The 10th coach will spread funds out even more.

The no money thing is bogus. Oklahoma State hired their current OC from D2 Where he was making $52,000 a year. Coaching is an old boys club filled with nepotism and favors, that leaves a lot of very talented coaches out there that have trouble catching a break because people don't really look for the best, they look for the best they already know.

There are several good to potentially great OCs at the FCS and D2 level if someone would actually take the time to look for them and research it. They would all jump,at the position at Marshall.

The no money thing is bogus. Oklahoma State hired their current OC from D2 Where he was making $52,000 a year. Coaching is an old boys club filled with nepotism and favors, that leaves a lot of very talented coaches out there that have trouble catching a break because people don't really look for the best, they look for the best they already know.

There are several good to potentially great OCs at the FCS and D2 level if someone would actually take the time to look for them and research it. They would all jump,at the position at Marshall.
But you would walk on the three Tricketts over a D2 OC?

FSU's problem was there QB got hurt. Let me say this, with the budget Marshall has and they are able to land Trickett at a reduced price they would be fool's noy to hire this guy. Remember he is the one that recruited Pat White to Morgantown. Pat loves the guy. btw, Jimbo was not firing that guy, and he has been offered a job at Texas AM. So you would not take a coach that has an offer on the table from Texas AM?

Jimbo was not taking him to A&M.

That’s not true at all.

Agree. We can pay up to 300K if needed. Legg made 250K, I think.

Again, get a young gun or successful FCS OC and they basically double their salary.
We don't need re-treads or buddies. Let's get someone who is best for the program, not just a buddy, acquaintance, old re-tread, etc.

Having D1 experience doesn't assure success, that's for damn sure.

Reactions: HerdFan73 and JC102

True that Trier is the 10th full time coaching position...but there is another opening on the staff that hasn’t hit the press yet. I’m not at liberty to say who it is but I suspect we will hear something soon. Also, with the AFCA Coaching Convention coming up this week it wouldn’t surprise me to see another coach or two move on. That would open up spots for the Tricketts if this is the way Doc wants to go.

Look, I have two degrees one from WVU and one from Marshall.

WVU has a money issue as well with the 10th coach. It will be a GA(The new tax bill will impact athletic donations this year so the funds are down in this area). Marshall does not have the funds to go out and bring in a young up and coming superstar hire like everyone thinks. Its called reality. I am not sure how or why this is a shock. Bottom line, The 10th coach will spread funds out even more.

We're not going to hire someone away from a peer school, but we're not so broke that we can't do better than Travis Tricket.

And that's not an indictment of Rick. I think extremely highly of him. As a standalone I'd pay some of my own money if it meant we could get him.

But if it means hiring an offensive coordinator that was statistically as bad as IF NOT WORSE than what we had? As I said before. No thanks.

If Rick Trickett has a legit offer to coach at Tx A&M, they probably could pay him way more than MU could pay BOTH Tricketts. So why turn the Aggies down to come to MU?

Possibility would be he still needs some time in the WV retirement system and needs a couple more years or so to become vested. Sort of like why Bobby P. went and coached at UVA one year under Al Groh.

Other than that, if you think he'd turn down a legit offer from A&M to come coach at MU, I've got some PRIME oceanfront property in McDowell County I'll let you have "dirt" cheap!! Make that "coal dirt" cheap!!

We're not going to hire someone away from a peer school, but we're not so broke that we can't do better than Travis Tricket.

And that's not an indictment of Rick. I think extremely highly of him. As a standalone I'd pay some of my own money if it meant we could get him.

But if it means hiring an offensive coordinator that was statistically as bad as IF NOT WORSE than what we had? As I said before. No thanks.

Why so our OL can regress like at Florida State?

I honestly can't believe we are considering hiring the OL coach of possibly the worst position group in the P5 conferences the last 3 years. A Coach from a Fanbase that wanted him burned, tarred, and feather.

Reactions: ToesMU and JC102
But you would walk on the three Tricketts over a D2 OC?

Yes because Trickett has shown subpar results as an OC during his limited time calling plays. The offense he ran in 2017 scored,less points and yielded less yards per play than the guy we just got rid of. Also, I like our offensive line coach. He did well starting three RS freshmen this year due to injuries. There was nothing stellar or creative about Ga State's offense this year or FAU's offense in 2016.

Yes because Trickett has shown subpar results as an OC during his limited time calling plays. The offense he ran in 2017 scored,less points and yielded less yards per play than the guy we just got rid of. Also, I like our offensive line coach. He did well starting three RS freshmen this year due to injuries. There was nothing stellar or creative about Ga State's offense this year or FAU's offense in 2016.
So I was PMed and was told point blank, the new young up and coming OC that is getting lots of attention is Clint Trickett. The people who work with him are shocked at how well he is doing at such a young age. So there you go guys. If you want the hot young offensive coach Clint Trickett (not Travis) but the problem is lots of people are hot on him(Nic Saban loves the guy). They also said it will be hard for the three to find a place to work together.

If Rick Trickett has a legit offer to coach at Tx A&M, they probably could pay him way more than MU could pay BOTH Tricketts. So why turn the Aggies down to come to MU?

Possibility would be he still needs some time in the WV retirement system and needs a couple more years or so to become vested. Sort of like why Bobby P. went and coached at UVA one year under Al Groh.

Other than that, if you think he'd turn down a legit offer from A&M to come coach at MU, I've got some PRIME oceanfront property in McDowell County I'll let you have "dirt" cheap!! Make that "coal dirt" cheap!!

He is 70 years old, and does not want to move and start over again. He had a heart attack several years ago.

I honestly can't believe we are considering hiring the OL coach of possibly the worst position group in the P5 conferences the last 3 years. A Coach from a Fanbase that wanted him burned, tarred, and feather.
LOL, well, I can you tell many schools in America would jump at Rick Trickett. Im not sure what you guys expect from your up coming hires but its seems your expectations are a bit high when you snubbing your nose at one of the best Oline coaches in the country the last 20 years. The fan base up north would sell their homes to have him back right now.

Look, this thread was started by someone I don't know and that Marshall and the Tricketts have had dicussions. I just know they would like to coach together before dad retires.

Yes, and most young coaches on that level are wanting to advance their career. Moving up to Div I-A is huge step in that direction, regardless if it's a mid-major.

Reactions: Herd Fever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT