ADVERTISEMENT

As far as OC I am hearing

Clint has been groomed to be a college football coach since birth. If you can get him and Rick on your staff, it’s definitely a win for Doc.

Y'all would really be okay hiring someone to run our offense who has zero experience calling plays? I wouldn't be. I don't care how cool he was on the Last Chance U.

The support for this sums up most of this board.

The kid, which he is at the age of 26, was a JUCO quarterback coach for two seasons and the TE coach for 10 months at FAU. To go from a JUCO as a position coach to a full-time job at an FBS is unheard of with no other experience.

Keep in mind that Kiffin did the same thing with Charlie Weiss Jr. Weiss had never been a full-time coach at any level including high school. He was a student manager for a few seasons at Kansas under his dad followed by summer volunteer intern with the Patriots at age 21. Then, he became a QC under Kiffin. Yet he was hired in a full-time role at FAU at the age of 23, again, which is unheard of. He left after being there for three months and was replaced by Trickett.

So why did Kiffin hire two guys, one with no coaching experience and one who was only a JUCO assistant for two years? It's the good ol' boys network. Both Kiffin and Kendall Briles were handed jobs by their fathers. Their fathers, friends of Trickett's and Weiss' father, continued on the favors.

For all I know, Clint could be an Xs and Os genius. Being an OC is so, so much more than that, both on and off of the field.

The support for this sums up most of this board.

The kid, which he is at the age of 26, was a JUCO quarterback coach for two seasons and the TE coach for 10 months at FAU. To go from a JUCO as a position coach to a full-time job at an FBS is unheard of with no other experience.

Keep in mind that Kiffin did the same thing with Charlie Weiss Jr. Weiss had never been a full-time coach at any level including high school. He was a student manager for a few seasons at Kansas under his dad followed by summer volunteer intern with the Patriots at age 21. Then, he became a QC under Kiffin. Yet he was hired in a full-time role at FAU at the age of 23, again, which is unheard of. He left after being there for three months and was replaced by Trickett.

So why did Kiffin hire two guys, one with no coaching experience and one who was only a JUCO assistant for two years? It's the good ol' boys network. Both Kiffin and Kendall Briles were handed jobs by their fathers. Their fathers, friends of Trickett's and Weiss' father, continued on the favors.

For all I know, Clint could be an Xs and Os genius. Being an OC is so, so much more than that, both on and off of the field.

Sanity!

Y'all would really be okay hiring someone to run our offense who has zero experience calling plays? I wouldn't be. I don't care how cool he was on the Last Chance U.

I thought you’d know enough about the college football fraternity to know that Clint is on an expedited journey up the coaching ranks and is extremely well thought of. Ask Saban what he thinks about his football IQ. The kid is going places and would be lights out on the recruiting trail. He’s a West Virginian and could sell kids on the Marshall program. He’s a major reason, along with Holgs and his offense, why Grier chose to transfer to WVU.

Also, if Rick was going to be coaching at Marshall as well, it would be an instant upgrade to the staff adding both Tricketts.

I thought you’d know enough about the college football fraternity to know that Clint is on an expedited journey up the coaching ranks and is extremely well thought of. Ask Saban what he thinks about his football IQ. The kid is going places and would be lights out on the recruiting trail. He’s a West Virginian and could sell kids on the Marshall program. He’s a major reason, along with Holgs and his offense, why Grier ended up at WVU.

Where did I say Clint wasn't a good coach with a bright future?

All I said was I don't feel comfortable hiring someone with zero experience calling plays at ANY LEVEL to run our offense.

Where did I say Clint wasn't a good coach with a bright future?

All I said was I don't feel comfortable hiring someone with zero experience calling plays at ANY LEVEL to run our offense.

You need a young coach with experience in dynamic offenses that also brings energy to the program. How many position coaches every year get promoted to being a play-calling OC without any experience calling an offense? His experience around the game goes far beyond his years coaching. He’s not an ordinary young coach.

You need a young coach with experience in dynamic offenses that also brings energy to the program.
Agree.

How many position coaches every year get promoted to being a play-calling OC without any experience calling an offense?
Good question. I believe Graham Harrell at UNT fits the bill. He has the luxury of working under an offensive guru in Seth Littrell, however. Clint wouldn't have that luxury at MU.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Rick is a legend but him coming here seems like a stretch.

Besides, we have a darn good OL coach in Alex Mirabal. Can't see Doc canning him.

Rick has had a massive amount of success as a coach and has coached at the highest levels of D1 football. I could see him relishing the opportunity to coach alongside his youngest son and once again be working in his home state. He doesn’t need to coach anymore, but this might be an opportunity he couldn’t pass up. I don’t doubt Mirabal is a very good OL coach, but Trickett was a key component of two 11 win WVU teams that included a BCS Bowl win over the SEC Champion and a National Championship FSU team.

Agree.

Good question. I believe Graham Harrell at UNT fits the bill. He has the luxury of working under an offensive guru in Seth Littrell, however. Clint wouldn't have that luxury at MU.

Harrell is no doubt a very good offensive mind. Clint though, has worked under a coach that was the HC at USC and Tennessee, as well as the OC for the 2015 National Champions. He was always around Jimbo and the FSU program even before he joined the program as a QB and learned under Holgorsen while he was our QB. He hasn’t taken an ordinary route to college football coaching.

But you trust the program to a career position coach. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. Doc was a risky hire.
Believe it or not but Hamrick didn't personally consult me when he hired Doc.

And believe it or not I hated the hire and wanted Hamrick to go in a different direction.

So no hypocrisy here, my man.

Why have so many head coaches been a coordinator then?

Because that's the conventional route (and one I agree with).

Doesn't mean it's the only route, however. Clemson handed the program to Dabo who was a career position coach. Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern was never more than a position coach before taking over his program, either.

And no - before you freak out - I'm not comparing Doc to any of those guys in terms of HC acumen. Just pointing out not every HC is a coordinator first.

Never said he couldn’t be but my preference would be to hire someone with experience calling plays at the D1 level.

Fair enough and I honestly was not trying to be argumentative. I just had the pleasure to get to know the Tricketts awhile back and I have always felt that Clint was going to be a coaching superstar sooner than later. I understand your hesitancy, but I feel he could be successful as the Marshall OC now even without play-calling experience.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Travis Trickett's offenses:

2017: 82nd total offense. 117th pts/game

2016 FAU: 72nd total offense. 80th pts /game.

Also, the added bonus of guiding the offense of one of only two FBS teams to lose to us in 2016.

No. Thanks.

Let's see, unless someone else on staff leaves, we have no current opening for a position coach.

If coaching staffs do expand in 2018, isn't that extra position to be more like an "analyst" type job instead of a position type coach?

If another WVU grad is such a sure fire, can't miss, up and coming, albeit young, coaching hotshot, then why in the dickens doesn't Holgy hire him to coach the EERS offense instead of continuing to recycle the likes of Jake Spavital??

I have heard that Clint and Rick(Rick could go to Texas if he wanted) are looking to work together. This would be a huge get for whoever wants this deal. Rick is one of the best in the business as an Oline coach and he may actually call the plays with Clint helping and learning. I will tell you this, Litton would get his shit together would be gone. You should be excited about this info

Rick is a legend but him coming here seems like a stretch.

Besides, we have a darn good OL coach in Alex Mirabal. Can't see Doc canning him.
Trust me, I heard Rick and the boys want to coach together. I heard this last week and now I see this info pop up on Marhasll's message board. Rick is 70 years old and has had some health problems. Rick loves WV.

Let's see, unless someone else on staff leaves, we have no current opening for a position coach.

If coaching staffs do expand in 2018, isn't that extra position to be more like an "analyst" type job instead of a position type coach?

If another WVU grad is such a sure fire, can't miss, up and coming, albeit young, coaching hotshot, then why in the dickens doesn't Holgy hire him to coach the EERS offense instead of continuing to recycle the likes of Jake Spavital??
Clint has said he still has friends on that team and he does not want to coach his friends

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT