ADVERTISEMENT

As far as OC I am hearing

LOL, well, I can you tell many schools in America would jump at Rick Trickett. Im not sure what you guys expect from your up coming hires but its seems your expectations are a bit high when you snubbing your nose at one of the best Oline coaches in the country the last 20 years. The fan base up north would sell their homes to have him back right now.

Look, this thread was started by someone I don't know and that Marshall and the Tricketts have had dicussions. I just know they would like to coach together before dad retires.

Have you seen Florida State recruiting and development of OL the last 5 years atleast. No P5 will hire Trickett as an on-field coach. Maybe as one of these new BS off-field positions. There was Florida State fans excited Jimbo left because they knew Trickett was gone.

You can say Trickett was the Bill Legg of FSU football. Trickett is coming here to retire with his sons. Plan and simple.

Yes, and most young coaches on that level are wanting to advance their career. Moving up to Div I-A is huge step in that direction, regardless if it's a mid-major.

Doc should ALWAYS build his staff with FCS up and coming coaches.

It has worked out great in the past.

Have you seen Florida State recruiting and development of OL the last 5 years atleast. No P5 will hire Trickett as an on-field coach. Maybe as one of these new BS off-field positions. There was Florida State fans excited Jimbo left because they knew Trickett was gone.

You can say Trickett was the Bill Legg of FSU football. Trickett is coming here to retire with his sons. Plan and simple.
Like I said the fans up north would take that guy in a heart beat. Again, Im not sure what your expectations are but they seem a little off base.

I keep hearing Travis Trickett's name more and more
Shawn Elliot is a first year coach at Georgia State(which has only been playing football for less then 10 years) so I can see why his offensive numbers are not real good yet. I really don't understand the concern. All these guys can coach.

Reactions: bberry9712

go look at Ricks two deep depth chart at FSU, they started 1 sr, 2 frs and 2 jrs. Yes they struggled but they were also young a certain positions. I just don't understand the hate.

Like I said the fans up north would take that guy in a heart beat. Again, Im not sure what your expectations are but they seem a little off base.

Honest question, when was the last time you watched a full Florida State game?

Rick was there though when they won a National Championship. No OL problems then was there? He had a Rimington Winner and multiple All Americans on the OL at WVU. He was hard nosed ( former marine ) and was considered one of the best in the business.

go look at Ricks two deep depth chart at FSU, they started 1 sr, 2 frs and 2 jrs. Yes they struggled but they were also young a certain positions. I just don't understand the hate.

Im not look at 1 year, im looking at the last 5 at the least.

Tons of 4 and 5 star recruited OL and they have been terrible and it has affected the recruiting of the entire offense. Have you not seen the beating FSU QBs has taken, even Jameis took a beating.

Trickett the game has passed him by and should take a role similar to Monte Kiffen and be the coach for the coaches.

Rick was there though when they won a National Championship. No OL problems then was there? He had a Rimington Winner and multiple All Americans on the OL at WVU. He was hard nosed ( former marine ) and was considered one of the best in the business.

Key word........was

Honest question, when was the last time you watched a full Florida State game?
I just went over and looked at FSU's recruiting. Last year they signed 4 5 stars and 9 4 star recruits. It looks solid again this year with four and five star kids. What are you talking about. He is a great recruiter!

Why so our OL can regress like at Florida State?

That may be . I know nothing about Florida States OLine the past couple years. I'm more just speaking to his overall reputation.

He's a fire and energy kind of guy. He probably doesn't bring that to the table anymore at 70.

I just went over and looked at FSU's recruiting. Last year they signed 4 5 stars and 9 4 star recruits. It looks solid again this year with four and five star kids. What are you talking about. He is a great recruiter!

@ggmike1992 please explain how bad FSU line has been under Trickett.

@ggmike1992 please explain how bad FSU line has been under Trickett.
@Herd Fever Your initial post was spot on. With the exception of when the O-line stars aligned in 2013 that was always our weak link. If not for some stud RB’s (Cook, Freeman, Patrick, Akers) FSU would have had a couple more losses a year. Many are thrilled Trickett is gone. Jimbo was loyal to a fault by retaining him.

I saw on twitter that Doc is considering some guy named Gary Tranquill. I looked him up and he has been out of coaching for 8 years and is 77 years old. Seems crazy to me, but I looked at his coaching history and he was the OC at WVU when Doc was a GA there. Please tell me this isn’t true.

I saw on twitter that Doc is considering some guy named Gary Tranquill. I looked him up and he has been out of coaching for 8 years and is 77 years old. Seems crazy to me, but I looked at his coaching history and he was the OC at WVU when Doc was a GA there. Please tell me this isn’t true.
Smh has to be a joke

Gary Tranquill is a highly respected coach with a variety of stops including Ohio State, WVU, Michigan State, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Boston College, the Cleveland Browns and some other pro teams. He was formerly the Head Coach at Navy.

However, as Marshall2004 points out, he's 77 years old and has been out of coaching since he left BC's Offensive Coordinator in 2010.

He's a great guy and a brilliant football coach but I can't imagine he would want to get back into coaching. If the rumor is true, he may have been a Don Nehlen referral but that's just speculation on my part.

Look, I have two degrees one from WVU and one from Marshall.

WVU has a money issue as well with the 10th coach. It will be a GA(The new tax bill will impact athletic donations this year so the funds are down in this area). Marshall does not have the funds to go out and bring in a young up and coming superstar hire like everyone thinks. Its called reality. I am not sure how or why this is a shock. Bottom line, The 10th coach will spread funds out even more.
We currently pay our coordinators over $250K apiece so there is no reason we would not be able to get an up-and-coming coordinator for that money. Hell, some of the targets we no about that are experienced coordinators at G5 schools were making anywhere close to what Legg was getting at MU. I think we will be fine even if we go after a good coordinator from the FCS level.

We're not going to hire someone away from a peer school, but we're not so broke that we can't do better than Travis Tricket.

And that's not an indictment of Rick. I think extremely highly of him. As a standalone I'd pay some of my own money if it meant we could get him.

But if it means hiring an offensive coordinator that was statistically as bad as IF NOT WORSE than what we had? As I said before. No thanks.
2 of main candidates, not including the Tricketts. are from peer schools that are good programs that are paying them far less than we paid Legg.

Reactions: Dorrej
Rick Trickett: Despite rumors out there that the longtime offensive line coach is set to retire, sources tell FootballScoop Trickett plans to coach moving forward and is currently weighing his options

I doubt we know who the main candidates are.
You know as well I do the current candidates I am talking about were presented on Old Fairfield. I am going off of that information because that is what we have at this point, and I was just pointing out that we have the money to take an OC from a peer if we want.

Last edited:
Trust me, I heard Rick and the boys want to coach together. I heard this last week and now I see this info pop up on Marhasll's message board. Rick is 70 years old and has had some health problems. Rick loves WV.

I believe he also has an elderly mother that still resides in the mountain state. In her 90s.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
I realize that, doesn’t mean we can’t at least make the call. It’s a jump up from position coach to OC.

Curious, what has Seider done (since leaving Marshall) that makes you think he would be qualified to become our OC?

Let's just get an OC that employs a drop back passing scheme so Chase can achieve the heights we imagined and be done with it.

Alex and Cristobal are absolutely best friends. Served as best man at each others weddings. I expect Mario to take Alex with him.

A change for the Oline wouldnt be a bad idea. It would be nice to see a big oline create holes and move opponents as opposed to an oline that waits and contains.

Where are you seeing that? All I am seeing about Gary Tranquill is from the Chuck Landon parody account.

@Herd Fever Your initial post was spot on. With the exception of when the O-line stars aligned in 2013 that was always our weak link. If not for some stud RB’s (Cook, Freeman, Patrick, Akers) FSU would have had a couple more losses a year. Many are thrilled Trickett is gone. Jimbo was loyal to a fault by retaining him.
So FSU hired Greg Frey to coach Oline. OMG, how funny, and interesting this could get because Frey replaced Trickett at WVU when he left and honestly did a very bad job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT