ADVERTISEMENT

Attention You Doc Supporters

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
This team has quit playing and Doc has quit coaching. Why should we keep him? All ou us who have watched this team this season can clearly see changes must be made with his coordinators. However, it is clear to me that Doc himself needs to step aside. Yes he had a good run but those of you who honestly believe "next year" will be better if Doc stays I think you will be sorely disappointed. Mike Hamrick go to the "winning" programs and ask the head coach which assistant is ready to take the next step. Oh and Mike please quit giving stupid undeserved contract extensions. You have created a difficult financial situation that probably dooms us to another year of Doc. I think you will have a very difficult time trying to get many of us to renew next year if that staff stays. I am done. I honestly do not want to give to watch this regardless of how bad you want money unless changes are made.

Redsfan, you must be high right now! We lost to Charlotte in Huntington. North Texas, and WKU put 60 on us. We should be thankful Coach Jeff wasn't pissed. Coach Holliday is in his 7th year! I could live with losses because of a bad year, but not to Akron and Charlotte in Huntington. Whatever your on, send me a referral.

And the fans quit back in September. So why should Hamrick or anyone in authority listen to them? The fact is the fans quit a long time after the players quit.

You don't fire a coach, that had 3 straight 10 win seasons, over one bad year.

Yeah, this is the fans fault. Are you Mike Hamrick? Ignoring your customers is a horrible business model by the way.

This isn't "one bad year." A record of 5-7 or even 4-8 is a bad year. What we saw was a total collapse of our program. A total meltdown. I want Doc to succeed and I think there is zero chance he is fired after this year but significant personnel changes need to happen especially on the offensive side of the ball. Doc should consider himself fortunate if he is retained, and I believe he will be.

Reactions: 30Kelly
Sorry redsfan but you are way wrong. What was accomplished in the past counts for our teams history - not what happened this year and no reason to think it will improve next year. Yes. Doc and staff must go or we are going to embark back upon several losing seasons. If Hamrick cant do it then he needs to go as well.

And the fans quit back in September. So why should Hamrick or anyone in authority listen to them? The fact is the fans quit a long time after the players quit.

You don't fire a coach, that had 3 straight 10 win seasons, over one bad year.

You do if he's lost complete control of his program. Which Doc most certainly has

Listen, I get we are pissed and i understand that this was a painful season to endure. But as someone who has worked and studied in athletic administration i am telling you:

1. You don't fire a coach over one bad year. You guys are projecting that this is the collapse of our program! Get over yourself you have no idea.
2. You guys believe our program is more than it really is. We don't have the power and prestige to pull in a major coach.
3. There is no one to go after. There are no glaring candidates for this head coaching job which means we will be sitting here looking and end up with the next Mark Snyder. And so help me if someone says "i'd rather have Mark Snyder as our coach!"

As for the fans, I'm sick and tired of grown adults booing kids and not coming back after halftime. And I'm not even talking about the end of the season. I'm talking about against Akron, FAU, charlotte, all of those were close games and the fans just mailed it in. When we have a big name like Louisville this place is crazy and we are loud and have the ability to change the game. But then we show up with fans who sit on their hand THE entire game, except for to yell at their own team, for the other games. And you expect that the team should come out and perform for you? Like you're friggin Caeasar in the coliseum? That's not what it's like in major college football programs. MAjor college football programs, people show up no matter the opponent and are as loud as they can be because they love their team.

I've heard my whole life growing up in this town that this team means more to this community than any other in the nation. But you watch and listen to our crowd against Akron, FAU, Charlotte... and you wouldn't know it. It's time for our fans to show up, literally and figuratively. You get out what you put in.

Wake up redsfan. Some schools have fired their coaches during the season. It happens and clearly needs to happen here at Marshall and now.

Wake up redsfan. Some schools have fired their coaches during the season. It happens and clearly needs to happen here at Marshall and now.

Give me an example of a school firing their coach in the middle of the season, after he just put together 3 straight seasons with a 33-8 record. Please. One.

Listen, I get we are pissed and i understand that this was a painful season to endure. But as someone who has worked and studied in athletic administration i am telling you:

1. You don't fire a coach over one bad year. You guys are projecting that this is the collapse of our program! Get over yourself you have no idea.
2. You guys believe our program is more than it really is. We don't have the power and prestige to pull in a major coach.
3. There is no one to go after. There are no glaring candidates for this head coaching job which means we will be sitting here looking and end up with the next Mark Snyder. And so help me if someone says "i'd rather have Mark Snyder as our coach!"

As for the fans, I'm sick and tired of grown adults booing kids and not coming back after halftime. And I'm not even talking about the end of the season. I'm talking about against Akron, FAU, charlotte, all of those were close games and the fans just mailed it in. When we have a big name like Louisville this place is crazy and we are loud and have the ability to change the game. But then we show up with fans who sit on their hand THE entire game, except for to yell at their own team, for the other games. And you expect that the team should come out and perform for you? Like you're friggin Caeasar in the coliseum? That's not what it's like in major college football programs. MAjor college football programs, people show up no matter the opponent and are as loud as they can be because they love their team.

I've heard my whole life growing up in this town that this team means more to this community than any other in the nation. But you watch and listen to our crowd against Akron, FAU, Charlotte... and you wouldn't know it. It's time for our fans to show up, literally and figuratively. You get out what you put in.

When you get off your high horse and can look at the program as a whole maybe you'll be able to see what's clearly in front of you.

When you get off your high horse and can look at the program as a whole maybe you'll be able to see what's clearly in front of you.

Marine give me a few specifics of what Is wrong with our program right now. Give me 3 and how that is directly Doc's fault. I have no doubt you will be able to provide them given your hatred of our program right now. But I'm curious.

We will be wishing we had Mark Snyder back in a couple more seasons like this.

It's not Doc's fault though. No reason to blame the top man responsible for calling the shots on your team. After all, he's just a recruiter.

Reds fan sound like PD and Bleeds rolled into one

Get off Docs nuts

Marine give me a few specifics of what Is wrong with our program right now. Give me 3 and how that is directly Doc's fault. I have no doubt you will be able to provide them given your hatred of our program right now. But I'm curious.

Ok super fan
1. Worst loss in the history of JCE
2. Worst home record in a season at JCE
3. SOS of 140 plus this season with 3 wins, 1 of which was FCS
4. Attrition is at an all time high
5. Starting QB departing (again)

In fighting amongst players, early dismissals, etc, etc, etc

Were you at the Akron game, redsfan? You know, where the Zipa scored something like 35 points in the Second Quarter? THE GAME WAS OVER AT HALFTIME!!!!! And the Herd played virtually NO QUALITY FOOTBALL for the rest of the year, excluding, perhaps, parts of the MTSU game. Don't rag on the fans- - -Doc, his staff and players laid a big time, rotten egg this season, and with the stench arising from our "on field performance" at the Joan, Hamrick is lucky that the number of fans who did show up this season did just exactly that!!

Last edited:

Well I've given you more than enough information that you asked for. So aside from the 3 year record prior to this season what are you seeing from Doc that makes you think he's still the guy for the job?
You give me 3 reasons why

Yeah, this is the fans fault. Are you Mike Hamrick? Ignoring your customers is a horrible business model by the way.

This isn't "one bad year." A record of 5-7 or even 4-8 is a bad year. What we saw was a total collapse of our program. A total meltdown. I want Doc to succeed and I think there is zero chance he is fired after this year but significant personnel changes need to happen especially on the offensive side of the ball. Doc should consider himself fortunate if he is retained, and I believe he will be.

Yep. Some our fans must be mind numbed or never played sports in their lives. Let's continue to enable the program and give like fools so they can waste our money. There is no accountability in the Schewey. We are not expected to ask questions or show concern. Just give and let them have fun.

First, booing, I hate it but its part of the deal. The QB in Morgantown is going to end the third all time leading passer in school history and he does not want to participate in Senior day because of booing. Its part of the deal.

Second, the real issue here is expectations, and Doc with everyone else in the program told us how good of shape this program was in for many years to come. Shoot, a national rag called MU "The State Program". So this really is the issue of Doc setting really bad expectations and now Hamrick wants to blame the fans for expecting a winner. FANS WERE TOLD WE WOULD BE A WINNER THIS YEAR! What do you expect now from the fan base!!!!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
This has to be the saddest thread ever. 'Far that there coach, he had a losing season". "Yep, and far that there AD too, he won't far the coach."

Pure delusion about what Marshall is, and pure lack of football knowledge.

We had a bad year. Much (I would say most all) is on the lack of a legitimate QB. And, yes it is the coach's job to have one. We did not and that is on Doc. Mistake.

Have to get a QB, probably a grad transfer, for next year.

But fire a coach who won 10 games the last 3 seasons for one bad year? Idiocy.

We will be back, with Doc, and hopefully management around here will allow year or two year old threads to be brought back up.

Reactions: Galloway27
This has to be the saddest thread ever. 'Far that there coach, he had a losing season". "Yep, and far that there AD too, he won't far the coach."

Pure delusion about what Marshall is, and pure lack of football knowledge.

We had a bad year. Much (I would say most all) is on the lack of a legitimate QB. And, yes it is the coach's job to have one. We did not and that is on Doc. Mistake.

Have to get a QB, probably a grad transfer, for next year.

But fire a coach who won 10 games the last 3 seasons for one bad year? Idiocy.

We will be back, with Doc, and hopefully management around here will allow year or two year old threads to be brought back up.
The coach will not be fired, but I think the fans are just upset and it seems like MU is doing a very poor job of letting the fan base know things will get fixed in a timely manner. Meaning: as bas as this team is it could take two years to fix this problem. Lets use the stock market as an example.

1. Expectations were missed, if you were the CEO of a Wall Street company and expectations were missed then stock price would fall and CEO in trouble.

2. Poor Communications, so when expectations were missed then communication needs to be swift to let everyone know feel good that someone was in charge, aware of the problems, and action would be taken asap. This needs to happen very quickly or stock price falls fast.

3. When poor communication takes place it makes the problem worse, and in this case as performance kept getting worse, no one letting everyone know we have a problem and making them feel comfortable with the leadership.

In this case Hamrick came out and blamed the shareholders after it became apparent that expectations were way off. How is it the shareholders fault when they thought a certain return was coming and it did not.

This issue is as much about communication as it is about winning

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don't expect Doc to be fired. I wouldn't call for that. But he is accountable and must make changes. What happens in 2017 will certainly define him as a coach and contribute heavily to his legacy - good or bad.
What is it about working in the Schewey that people feel they aren't accountable or must accept blame for poor decisions or actions?

Compare doc to Mark Snyder and you will see they are very comparable with the exception Snyder won many more games against teams that were better then the quality wins that Doc Holliday has. I'm certainly not saying that I want Mark Snyder back but he has proven to be a better recruiter than Holliday. If holliday was such a great recruiter then he has to be the worst coach in the history of college football

Reactions: Marine03
Sam, you could have dropped Chad Pennington (in his prime) on this team and it wouldn't have had a winning season.

when the QB has 0.25 seconds from snap before he is hit it doesn't matter if Tom Brady is back there. now factor in the worst defense we've had in 30 years...

Reactions: raleighherdfan
1. Expectations were missed, if you were the CEO of a Wall Street company and expectations were missed then stock price would fall and CEO in trouble.

2. Poor Communications,

3. When poor communication

In this case Hamrick came out and blamed the shareholders

1 - Pre-season, it is clear to me, there is no objective reporting on MU football. The local media just prints platitudes and coachspeak straight out of Bull Durham (H-D, WCHS, WSAZ) or is 100% hostile (WOWK, Chuckie, Gag-zete). These guides and websites just look at recruiting stars and past results and toss a page in for CUSA in the sea of P5 coverage. Nobody covers the team with objectivity. That set us up for a big disappointment. We should not fall for this again.

2 - What do you want Doc and Mike to do. "Hey, we suck and the QB sucks and is a punk to boot". Coaches speak coachspeak. They tout their team and tout their opponents, no matter how bad.

3 - Clearly this team quit. Quit trying and quit listening to the coaches. That is on Doc. No question. There needs to be a lot of guys run off, starting with CL and that has already been done, apparently.

I don't think Mike blamed the "stockholders". He blamed the non-stockholders. People who don't give and don't go to games unless it is just at the right time, against a team that they don't consider either too easy or too hard. I do admit I give Mike a lot of lee way because the previous AD LIED TO MY FACE.

Reactions: pdbailey
Doc said before the season started that this was the best offensive line he had "ever been around". then we saw articles about all the weightlifting records broken in the off season. this program has problems much deeper than a head-case QB...
Yes, this was when the expectations were set. Said Marshall football was in very good shape for years to come

even if he had came out and said we were "decent" or "average" going in to this season it was still a complete disaster. this conference is on life support. it is on par with the Sun Belt. Sagarin currently has CUSA East rated above 2 other conferences/divisions, CUSA West and the MAC East...

an average or even slightly below average (any under Snyder or Pruett's 2004 squad) should still easily have a winning record here. the 2004 squad that "gave up" would have lost 4 games tops. and playing head 2 head against this team you would have to go way back in the 1AA days to find a team that couldn't beat them...

Redsfan, you must be high right now! We lost to Charlotte in Huntington. North Texas, and WKU put 60 on us. We should be thankful Coach Jeff wasn't pissed. Coach Holliday is in his 7th year! I could live with losses because of a bad year, but not to Akron and Charlotte in Huntington. Whatever your on, send me a referral.
Should Michigan St fire Dantonio? They had the same type of season as us after a large amount of success.

Reactions: The Real SamC
pd posted "Go F yourself shithead." Exactly to whom are you addressing that pd so I can send to the mods.

Should Michigan St fire Dantonio? They had the same type of season as us after a large amount of success.

No but MSU is not having the internal problems we are right now either. MSU is actually playing someone worth a shit and they truly are a young team.

this...

Capture.png

is not even remotely close to as bad as this...

Capture.png

and yes, i am certain MSU will make changes. not head coach but others. too much money spent for the results they got. college football at that level is "what have you done for me lately"... see Les Miles and his trophy case sent packing...

Doc said before the season started that this was the best offensive line he had "ever been around". then we saw articles about all the weightlifting records broken in the off season. this program has problems much deeper than a head-case QB...
We also lost 2/5 of the line to injury early in the year, and it has caused issues with the effectiveness of the offense. The OL did not perform well this year, but that can be fixed considering most return and we add as many as 6 RS-FR to the group for potential depth. There are a lot of problems but the main player issues and coaching issues will be cleaned up in the next 1-2 months.

redsfan try Les Miles at LSU.

Sorry not the same. LSU was on a three year decline and they tried to fire him last season.

They look real stupid right now don't they. Fired Les Miles for freaking Ed Orgeron. A guy that was 3-21 in SEC games as a coach at Ole Miss with an overall record of 10-25 in his three years there.

Please make an apples for apples comparison. They may as well be playing in the NFL compared to our SOS which was like dead last in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT