ADVERTISEMENT

back pain

Raoul Duke MU

Doctor of Journalism
@-CarlHungus- , please chime in.

A couple months ago I had some back pain issues. I did not suffer an accident or any trauma to have caused it. My nurse practitioner had me do some exercises and it went away in a couple week. Lower back but biased to the right side.

Well it reappeared this week and tonight it kicked the shit out of me. I could not walk. Nor could I sit or lay down. Constant pain of about 6 on the pain scale with frequent hard fvcking spikes straight to 10. Two to three spikes per minute that damn near dropped me to my knees. It hit at dinner, I could not walk to the car, I only made it a quarter block in 10 minutes. Being a stubborn ass I told my wife to take me home and not to the hospital. Once we got home I managed to very slowly get into the house and then it ramped up more. I ended up taking my first ever ambulance ride. ER doc said the goal was to get me ambulatory and get me home to have a follow up soon. I am currently high AF on a serious cocktail of IV meds but I am home. The wife will be picking me up a script of hydros and flexeril in the morning.

Who else here has had back problems? What ended up being the diagnosis and treatment? I am hoping like hell this is not some spine issue. I remember that quack in WV that screwed up dozens on people with surgery and that sort of thing scares the shit out me. At the same time I obviously cannot keep getting hit by this every couple of months; this is the worst pain I have ever felt, I actually screamed a few times and that ain't me, I have a really high pain tolerance but this was crazy bad. I am hoping PT ends up being the treatment and actually works.

Sorry to hear this. My dad used to get these flairs and be in bed for days.

Eventually you may need an MRI or imaging.

Im not very well versed in back pain mgmt because my specialty is elsewhere.

For me personally I have found Foundation Training to be fantastic. You obviously aren’t in an acute condition to start this, but once things calm down I’d give it a try. Work your way up on some of their exercises.

In general I’m not a big fan of chiropractic care for adjustment, but I do think chiropractors and physical therapists and /personal trainers can understand posture and practical stretches and exercises much better than most MDs.

Use the meds to get over the acute flair then get off of them ASAP if you can. Those first few days off will suck but a lifetime of those pills is miserable.

Reactions: MUAlum2004
I agree with Carl on this start out simple and avoid chiropractors. We’ve got chiros down here adjusting infants. They have their place in some instances but overall they don’t help anything.

I go Monday for a shot in my back.

I've had this shit for a month now with pain shooting from my lower back down each leg. Feet and knees just freeze up when I go to walk. The pain goes from burning and sometimes it feels like my feet are being chopped with an ax where they meet my lower leg. Then there's the random ass and back pain.

They think it's a pinched nerve in my back. Going to put me on an x-ray machine Monday and put some shot in where (if) they find it.

If I can't get rid of this somehow though, I'm a goner. I've had what I want. I'm not going for constant physical pain. I've lived with it for a month, but I wouldn't do this shit forever. And it's embarrassing as hell walking like this. I have to hobble everywhere. The shit hurts so bad I cuss out in pain. And it makes me even shittier to other people than I even want to be. Pain makes you very angry.

I agree with Carl on this start out simple and avoid chiropractors. We’ve got chiros down here adjusting infants. They have their place in some instances but overall they don’t help anything.
You're an idiot.

My upper back around the shoulder blade and neck have been messed up for the last 15 years. Doc always says to try out a chiropractor, which I've done, but it's only temporary relief, after going 5-6 times. I just hate it when they grab my neck and jerk it from side to side to pop it. Always thinking they're going to snap my neck and kill me. I can barely pick up a pint without aggravating my upper back, so thinking I'm going to get a scan at some point after the first of the year if it continues to be this bad. I'm old though, so it could just be natural old age issues. That or drinking too much, and acting the fool. Booze only makes the pain worse, once the alcohol wears off. Can't drink full time, or the liver will burst.

Chiros are grifters and snake oil salesmen.

That being said, lower back pain is about the only thing that there is actual evidence they can do anything about. Here’s Duke Health on them: https://www.dukehealth.org/blog/should-you-see-chiropractor-back-pain

So yeah, avoid any that claim they can cure cancer/etc, or are doing chiro work on kids. But maybe in this one instance they sort of make sense.

Sorry to hear this. My dad used to get these flairs and be in bed for days.

Eventually you may need an MRI or imaging.

Im not very well versed in back pain mgmt because my specialty is elsewhere.

For me personally I have found Foundation Training to be fantastic. You obviously aren’t in an acute condition to start this, but once things calm down I’d give it a try. Work your way up on some of their exercises.

In general I’m not a big fan of chiropractic care for adjustment, but I do think chiropractors and physical therapists and /personal trainers can understand posture and practical stretches and exercises much better than most MDs.

Use the meds to get over the acute flair then get off of them ASAP if you can. Those first few days off will suck but a lifetime of those pills is miserable.
Thanks, I knew you could throw me some general info.

I do have a PT that I trust, he's great. And I don't mind doing the work.

Don't worry about the pills with me. When I had the broken jaw/osteomyelitis I was on pain pills for four months. I NEVER want to be that damn constipated again. It's a motivator to not get hooked lol, never mind the people I have seen hooked on the damn things, that does not look like a life I would want.

I have lower back pain issues as well. Around 30 years ago I had a laminectomy and fusion in upper spine (neck) and haven’t had an issue in that area ever since. But over the last year I started developing lower back issues where the pain radiates into my hips and down my leg…mostly right side. I have issues with my feet tingling like it is going to sleep. I am convinced that it is related to a year of pandemic job changes where I’d have to sit countless hours sitting in front of a computer.

I went to the doctor and was told insurance won’t pay for mri until I’ve had physical therapy. So I completed six weeks of physical therapy with mediocre results. I’m scheduled to return to doctor so maybe I can get mri now. But what helps me most is staying active which is much easier retired. Golfing several days a week and walking 5 or 6 miles daily does more to minimize the pain than anything I’ve done including therapy.

It’s manageable now, but I worry that this isn’t getting better.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
The stupidity of you morons is absolutely enchanting. But nonetheless stupid.
So you think chiropractors should be adjusting infants? You think chiropractors and cure ankle sprains with spinal realignments? You think chiropractors can cure your case of the flu? All of those are claims made by chiros directly to me or my athletes

@-CarlHungus- , the Foundation Training looks to remind me of yoga. I think I will look into both of those.

It’s tough but worth it. Was actually developed by a chiropractor. There’s a YouTube of a 12 minute workout that is brutal but really builds up the back. It won’t let me post it here but on YouTube it’s titled something like “original 12 minutes foundation training.”

Like @GK4Herd says…all this seated computer work kills you. Me too. Got to find a way to keep moving.

I completed six weeks of physical therapy with mediocre results.

This was what I was afraid they would tell me to do. Nope, they said come back Monday for the shot.

Some guy here at work said his wife had this shit. She went to this guy, got the shots in her back and it worked. I don't know if it'll work for me or not, but I'm willing to try it.

Reactions: GK4Herd
So you think chiropractors should be adjusting infants?
Do they have spines??
I've seen 2 cases of cholic in babies cured with an adjustment. Do you not think the spine of an infant goes through trauma during birth?

You think chiropractors and cure ankle sprains with spinal realignments? You think chiropractors can cure your case of the flu?
Nope.
All of those are claims made by chiros directly to me or my athletes
I don't know where you live, but I've been to 8-10 chiropractors around Huntington over the last 45 years and not a single one of them have made claims like that.

Do they have spines??
I've seen 2 cases of cholic in babies cured with an adjustment. Do you not think the spine of an infant goes through trauma during birth?

Nope.

I don't know where you live, but I've been to 8-10 chiropractors around Huntington over the last 45 years and not a single one of them have made claims like that.
Oh well you’ve seen 2 cases cured?!? Well stop the damn presses. Every colicky baby just needs an adjustment. It’s no surprise that you keep going back to chiropractors for almost 50 years. Think about that for a moment and tell me how they actually fix things.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Oh well you’ve seen 2 cases cured?!? Well stop the damn presses. Every colicky baby just needs an adjustment. It’s no surprise that you keep going back to chiropractors for almost 50 years. Think about that for a moment and tell me how they actually fix things.
Yes, 2, moron. I know of those because I knew the parents. There could be 1000s more.

I've continued with chiropractic over the years because it helps and I don't want surgery that may or may not result in improvement. Tell us some lies about how body rubbers fix things....

Yes, 2, moron. I know of those because I knew the parents. There could be 1000s more.

I've continued with chiropractic over the years because it helps and I don't want surgery that may or may not result in improvement. Tell us some lies about how body rubbers fix things....
Should have just let the babies smoke weed, some people claim that helps with pain too.

Would you like to speak some of my former athletes that’s I’ve treated and rehabilitated back to sport?
It may help but what has it fixed?

Would you like to speak some of my former athletes that’s I’ve treated and rehabilitated back to sport?
It may help but what has it fixed?
Yours is not the only profession that can treat and rehab people. You know nothing about chiropractic.

Raoul most of the time it's one of two things. 1. It is a pulled muscle in your lower back. 2.The cartilage around you ribs can take the easiest bump and that causes pain in your back. I had flare ups where I couldn't even walk or crawl. Never ever lay on a heating pad even if it feels good. Use only ice. I had back problems for 30 years but now knock on wood I have no back problems now. If I sleep too long my back is sore when I get up. I have a torn rotor cuff and am taking out for that. As painful as your back

Wife is a chiropractor. The ones who say they can cure all are idiots. The spine ties to your whole body. Keep it healthy and you’ll be much happier as you age. She cares for all ages. From the toe to the ear.

Reactions: extragreen
I’m fairly active for my age. I bike, golf, and enjoy yard work, but not too long ago, I got to the point where it was difficult to get up in the morning because of back and hip pain. Nothing seemed to help.
I was leaving Walmart one day, and on the end cap in the pharmacy department were bags of old fashioned Epson Salt. I figured it couldn’t hurt so I bought a bag.
I poured the salt into very hot water and soaked for about fifteen minutes. It has made all the difference in the world. Pain is gone and movement makes me feel like a kid.
Might be worth a try. Worst that could happen is you would be out five bucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT