ADVERTISEMENT

Be interesting to see how this reads on the forum...

If these guys don't like the stuff that's posted by morons and blow hards, DON'T GET ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

It's not required of anyone to have twitter or instagram or tiktok or facebook or.. etc etc etc.
This is how the younger generation communicates. Even if an athlete o r anyone else in the public eye had the discipline to avoid social media, they would hear comments from friends, classmates, family. It is a difficult thing to ask young folks to shut off preferred ways of communicating with each other because of what folks, they don't even know, may say about them. It is also difficult to predict how a young person will receive or respond to negative comments.

Reactions: ohio herd
This was as nonsensical an article as I’ve ever read from Chuck. If you let fans on message boards or Facebook bother you then quite frankly you should not play major college sports. The fact that Chuck thinks these guys can go to a high profile program like Va Tech and throw ints and lose games as the starting QB and not hear 10 times worse than what he heard at MU is laughable.

Also Chuck because I know you read these boards it’s where you get half your stories. You crucified both Mark Snyder and Doc Holiday on a weekly basis in your columns when they coached and I guarantee you a lot more people read your crap than any Marshall message board or Facebook page. But because you are a “journalist” and I use that term lightly it’s ok for you.

I don’t think personal attacks on a player should ever be tolerated. At least on this board even the biggest critics of Wells didn’t tolerate the few times when posters went overboard and made it personal. But honestly the overwhelming majority of criticism that I have read of Grant have been about his play, his decision making etc. many of the times the same criticism was followed by I think Grant is a great guy, but this if that frustrates me.
There are also posters, me being one of them blamed his OC, I think Grant has all the physical skills and his OC has not developed him.

All of that stuff has gone on since sports were invented. The difference is now instead of talking over lunch or at the bar there are message boards where groups of like minded fans can discuss their favorite team. The good posters and the bad.

We are already witnessing a dwindling fan base at Marshall and Chuck Landon and Coach D’antoni and Huff writing articles about what POS our fans are sure isn’t going to do anything.

We are already witnessing a dwindling fan base at Marshall and Chuck Landon and Coach D’antoni and Huff writing articles about what POS our fans are sure isn’t going to do anything.

You're right but everyone liked both coaches because of their experiences (at least with Huff) in one of the premiere programs in college football.
Everyone was accepting of his knowledge of the game but seem uncomfortable when he's critical of the fanbase...and honestly, why are you? He's seen real fanbases and how they work.
This fanbase does need a wakeup call. The current approaches to "supporting" the program are proving to be toxic.
How often do fans go overboard with the word, "mediocrity" when describing a player, the team, or a season? You do realize that empasses everything associated and plenty are not what you say they are.
As one poster said, social media is literally everywhere and nobody should have to change their ability to communicate because a bunch of 40-70yr old fans are constantly badgering them.

I will say, I doubt it's squarely on social media...you think Grant Wells' parents/family were able to sit through his MU career and NOT hear the vile BS spewed at them, by elder morons who have zero knowledge of the game, each and every weekend?

Wells' comment about if he throws an INT, people will be calling for Cole Pennington to come in, is about as spot on for this board and others as you can get.

Oh and chuck landon sucks BTW.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I remember all those time Jordan quit when people would scream mean things at him.

If you aren’t your own biggest critic you don’t care enough.

Reactions: Elkview
I remember Skip Henderson quitting a time or two. Once in Chattanooga. Of course, he came back. Ahem, Ahem.... No social media back then. As for Chuck, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it as we are ours. He's not even a full-time employee. Just a "freelancer". We just don't get paid for ours. At least I don't.

I’m just so excited for Grant to head to VT. Blacksburg has the best fans in the world that have zero expectations when it comes to winning or performing at a consistent high level. No one in the stands cares if leadership qualities are exhibited, or if the players show a fire in their belly. Maybe they can designate that part of Virginia as another National Quiet Zone like Greenbank, WV to ensure no criticism is shared. Imagine all of the players that would transfer in! According to Chuck that would cure almost all of today’s players anxieties.

I don't do social media and glad I don't. Todays athletes are put on a pedestal by mom and dad, pampered at an early age. Grown adults live vicariously through 20 year old athletes. You have supposed adults slam a kid personally, ridiculous. It happens sadly. Kids just have to realize it and grow a thick skin early in life.

Can't wait to see an article about that star 12 year old who gave it up because he threw an INT, lost the game and mom/dad got a divorce because they couldn't agree the right QB coach.

Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
A few points from this column as I read it this morning and choked back several laughs.

1. As pointed out above, if you want to be a major college QB who plays games on television, etc and dreams of someday playing professionally, you better get thicker skin.

2. Does Wells not read TechSideline?... Because just wait til he blows a games against UVA. (This isn't a Marshall exclusive or WVU exclusive problem)

3. Huff chose his words very wisely. He spoke in generalities about "kids these days." Not to poison his well with future starting QB's and/or look like a coddler.

4. What would Chuck do without this message board?... I hope part of his pension covers a lifetime subscription so he can continue to rehash message board topics in his golden years.

5. DD commenting was also funny... You read the message board during football but stop during basketball? Doubtful... And if you do continue to read, you realize most of the basketball program ire is directed at you, not any of the players individually.

6. The real world is going to kick some of these kids right in the f'n teeth.

The average age of a Marine at Iwo Jima was 22. The average age of a soldier at Normandy was 20. I’m sure glad they didn’t have facebook back then, lest they get their feelings hurt.

If you want to play big time sports, this is part of it.

If you want to operate in a criticism free environment, vis college football at the I-A level, it doesn’t exist. The closest you are going to get is some of the fan-free programs found at the bottom of CUSA, the MAC, and especially the AAC, some of which don’t have a board that gets four posts a week, and which have their scores reported in the local newspaper in agate type, if they is room after the local P5 team gets pages of coverage. Both should look into some place like FIU, or Tulsa, or Tulane, or Ball State.

Part of the problem with social media is there are a many toxic types on them. I also am part of a couple of Marshall pages on FaceBook. The football IQ is about a negative 5 for about 30% of those who post on these boards. These are the same folks who growl because we don't score 70 points a game in football or scream because the other team scores on us. They hold the players and coaches to a standard you can bet your a$$ they don't hold themselves to. Most of the remarks on here are done in a respectable fashion unlike some of the other boards I visit. We all want to win and all root for the Herd that is why we get on here and chat. I will say social media is a phenomenon that we are only currently seeing the impact on the psyche of those who are bantered about by others. Most people who are not in the spotlight have no idea how negative comments can hurt someone especially after they gave their best shot. Over the years I have found that the ones who have growled the loudest are usually the one who pull on the rope the least. I have learned to tone them out as I have grown older but can't imagine how hard that must be for a 21 year old to do.

The average age of a Marine at Iwo Jima was 22. The average age of a soldier at Normandy was 20. I’m sure glad they didn’t have facebook back then, lest they get their feelings hurt.

If you want to play big time sports, this is part of it.

If you want to operate in a criticism free environment, vis college football at the I-A level, it doesn’t exist. The closest you are going to get is some of the fan-free programs found at the bottom of CUSA, the MAC, and especially the AAC, some of which don’t have a board that gets four posts a week, and which have their scores reported in the local newspaper in agate type, if they is room after the local P5 team gets pages of coverage. Both should look into some place like FIU, or Tulsa, or Tulane, or Ball State.
Sam with all due respect that is not a good analogy. So let's change that to vets from Vietnam. As part of my work I spend time sitting and talking to people from all walks of life. Over the years many of these were guys who were once 21 years old and dropped off in the jungles of Vietnam. Many of them had to do things that torment them till this day in order to make it home. I can tell you we didn't have social media then but when they returned home and people called them baby killers and spit on them etc it harmed them deeply. Many are still bitter to this day. All they did was serve their country and do the job they were drafted to do. So soldiers can get their feeling hurt

Last edited:
The lie by Landon has been called out clearly and publicly by both Grant and his father. Landon should be fired, not for the story, but the 100% contrived lie stated in someone else's name. As I said elsewhere, he is now over-done journalistic poop. I think he finally shixt his own bed, now he deserves to lay in it IMHO

Im amazed Chucky still has a job. His articles are lazy and lack substance. Its been that way for decades. I just cant imagine why HD Media hasn't put him out to pasture yet.

Maybe lying and making up quotes from Grant will do it? Not holding my breath.

Reactions: mufan08
I have no love for Landon, but he is innocent here with the exception on perhaps not verifying the quote from Grant about Pennington.

The social media story is definitely being put out by the Shewey. It’s how superstar mod here got and pushed it. I heard it directly from someone in the program, and it’s how Chuck got it.

So, if the whole premise is a lie according to Wells, it’s the program putting out a false narrative to cover something else and Chuck just took the bait.

Everyone looks bad. It's confusing, but Landon admitted he made the imaginary quote up in the article. Bad tactic and frowned upon, but he didn't attribute it to Wells.

Everyone involved should shut up: Fans, Landon, Huff, Wells family. All look bad and inexperienced. Move on. Do your job.

Reactions: RhinoD
Im amazed Chucky still has a job. His articles are lazy and lack substance. Its been that way for decades. I just cant imagine why HD Media hasn't put him out to pasture yet.

Maybe lying and making up quotes from Grant will do it? Not holding my breath.
HD Media, AKA far-left Doug Reynolds (who is going to run for governor as a Republican, which like the pope joining a synagogue) has to make a nominal effort at producing a paper to receive the huge taxpayer subsidy that newspapers now receive. They don’t care if you buy the rag or not, they just have to produce it and collect the cash. As such, the goal is to spend as little as possible. CL, who, like everyone else in the print media around here was cheated out of his pension by the far-left Chilton family, and who has a personal life that is pure s*** works cheap and needs the work. He is a perfect employee if you are trying to get somebody to give you a column four times a week for next to nothing in $$. Which is the goal.

It amazes me that anyone still buys either of the HD Media papers. Pure garbage.

I'm not saying social media didn't play a part in Grant's decision because I don't know. I'm also not saying it did, again because I don't know. The thing that struck me about Landon's article was that it's all speculation. Maybe Wells was thinking... What kind of bullshit is that?

I will continue to read his work with a highly skeptical eye AND only through this forum, where he doesn't get any extra "clicks." Maybe a good conversation to have but not by the unprofessional way we got here.

Last edited:
Chuck demonstrated a bitter little slant even back in the days when he wrote for the Parthenon. I guess the only thing positive you can say about his articles over the the years is that he has been consistent.

Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
Sam with all due respect that is not a good analogy. So let's change that to vets from Vietnam. As part of my work I spend time sitting and talking to people from all walks of life. Over the years many of these were guys who were once 21 years old and dropped off in the jungles of Vietnam. Many of them had to do things that torment them till this day in order to make it home. I can tell you we didn't have social media then but when they returned home and people called them baby killers and spit on them etc it harmed them deeply. Many are still bitter to this day. All they did was serve their country and do the job they were drafted to do. So soldiers can get their feeling hurt
The ones who called the honorable Veterans baby killers and such were the ones who raised big soft ass pussies who then had big soft ass pussy kids. That's the problem today. The flower children hippies who grew up had kids and they had kids and here we are with a bunch of soft ass millennials.

How a D1 ball player would get their feelings hurt over social media is beyond me.

It’s a sad commentary on our society when kids thing social media is real life.

Social media used to be more genuine. It wasn't until people began to make their lives seem so perfect and happy to everyone else, doctored photos and filters, and showing parts of things that made people think only one side of a story.

People posting on social media, their problems either as a message, warning to others, or a plea for help, get maybe 5% of genuinely comcerned people with the rest being "concerned" as a guise to follow an anticipated downfall of said person.

For the record, chuck's title is misleading and he should be fired for that.
I doubt the fans "ran Wells off" as bad as he said they did. I am sure they had a hand in if he wanted to stay.
I can't speak for wvu's guy, but wvu has a massive transfer problem, they have something like 28 transferring out so far, which is tops in the country last I checked...so they have it worse than we do, with a multi year HC, we just have a rookie.

I will say that what is spoken here, may not be the direct reason for someone being affected by criticism, but what it does do (especially in how it is said) is it amplifies the athletes' pre-existing knowledge of their diatance to being who they want to be.
Basically, all athletes are pushed to perform to their absolute best. They know what they need to work on, and they get that from their coaches every day. They get it from the team, every day. They also tell themselves what they need to do. Those are within a realm of rationality because it involves people who actually know the athlete.
When you involve uneducated idiots into the mix, who toss around "mediocre" and other overly dramatic adjectives to describe a dropped pass or an INT, it throws their perception out of line and makes them question if they are actually worse than they are...and social media is a constant exposure, more than coaches and players it seems.

Your boss and co-workers tell you you need to improve a skill. You can take that. But if 12,000 people, who've never worked your job, following you on social media CONSTANTLY say not only are your skills terrible, but you suck at everything else, are "mediocre", your HC is too, your players are, and the program is...that sorta fvcks with you in a bad way.

Last edited:
I can't speak for wvu's guy, but wvu has a massive transfer problem, they have something like 28 transferring out so far, which is tops in the country last I checked...so they have it worse than we do, with a multi year HC, we just have a rookie.
I'm not one of those that hates on WVU too often (I honestly don't pay them much mind)... But I am looking forward to the reaction next year when they are getting rolled by Cincinnati, UCF, etc in the new not-so-big 12/CUSA 2005 edition.

I have no love for Landon, but he is innocent here with the exception on perhaps not verifying the quote from Grant about Pennington.

The social media story is definitely being put out by the Shewey. It’s how superstar mod here got and pushed it. I heard it directly from someone in the program, and it’s how Chuck got it.

So, if the whole premise is a lie according to Wells, it’s the program putting out a false narrative to cover something else and Chuck just took the bait.
Well then quote the source. Then we can bitch about that too

You're right but everyone liked both coaches because of their experiences (at least with Huff) in one of the premiere programs in college football.
Everyone was accepting of his knowledge of the game but seem uncomfortable when he's critical of the fanbase...and honestly, why are you? He's seen real fanbases and how they work.
This fanbase does need a wakeup call. The current approaches to "supporting" the program are proving to be toxic.
How often do fans go overboard with the word, "mediocrity" when describing a player, the team, or a season? You do realize that empasses everything associated and plenty are not what you say they are.
As one poster said, social media is literally everywhere and nobody should have to change their ability to communicate because a bunch of 40-70yr old fans are constantly badgering them.

I will say, I doubt it's squarely on social media...you think Grant Wells' parents/family were able to sit through his MU career and NOT hear the vile BS spewed at them, by elder morons who have zero knowledge of the game, each and every weekend?

Wells' comment about if he throws an INT, people will be calling for Cole Pennington to come in, is about as spot on for this board and others as you can get.

Oh and chuck landon sucks BTW.
I remember when fans around me were calling for Pruett to replace Chad when he threw an INT.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I remember Skip Henderson quitting a time or two. Once in Chattanooga. Of course, he came back. Ahem, Ahem.... No social media back then. As for Chuck, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it as we are ours. He's not even a full-time employee. Just a "freelancer". We just don't get paid for ours. At least I don't.
I was in Chatty on business when Skip walked. Surprised the crap out of me.

Congratulations, no matter how you justify it ( should be tougher, vtech will be worse, stay off social media) you guys ( and you know who you are) had a big hand in running our QB off. Hope you are happy and get the results you want next year.

Reactions: putnam green
Congratulations, no matter how you justify it ( should be tougher, vtech will be worse, stay off social media) you guys ( and you know who you are) had a big hand in running our QB off. Hope you are happy and get the results you want next year.
Literally, in his very own words, Wells said that was not the case…but of course you know better.

Literally, in his very own words, Wells said that was not the case…but of course you know better.
There's no reasoning with Pike when it comes to Wells... That's his boy for whatever reason regardless of performance or game outcome.

Like Stowers with Doc... Etc.

Some guys just have "their guy" and they aren't gonna hear any different.

Reactions: Jartard
So Grant is a liar?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT