ADVERTISEMENT

Biden Promises to Relieve Federal Student Debt

Another round of false promises that will be forgotten about after the midterms until it is time for his re-election.

I mean, if you're gonna wreck the economy even further by doing this then go ahead and forgive mine also. Granted, I've paid over half off already.

I was fortunate to consolidate my loans when I finished grad school. My rate was fixed at 2.75% back in 2005. It would've been 1.75% but mine was a reconsolidation, so I didn't get the top rate. Still more than happy with that rate though, compared to most.

Paid my college loan back in 1985. My wife paid her off in 1989. My wife and I have been paying cash for our sons to attend college thus far. They are going part time and working. we have talked about the possibility of taking out a student loan at some point. This really makes me mad. So all the folks who don't go to college should pay for the ones who do. We have lost our way as a nation and I fear for where this path is leading us

Paid my college loan back in 1985. My wife paid her off in 1989. My wife and I have been paying cash for our sons to attend college thus far. They are going part time and working. we have talked about the possibility of taking out a student loan at some point. This really makes me mad. So all the folks who don't go to college should pay for the ones who do. We have lost our way as a nation and I fear for where this path is leading us
Your sons have the choice to attend a trade school. Problem solved. Or you can continue whining.

Your sons have the choice to attend a trade school. Problem solved. Or you can continue whining.
Some of my friends did the trade school, also known as high school vo-tech back in the day, and got rich building houses, as well as other learned trades. That's what I should have done. Had I learned wood-working at an early age, me and you potentially could have had a profitable business together, and we both could be sitting out on the porch today listening to some loud music. I don't like Led Zeppelin though, so it would have had to be outlaw country.

Those can already be "forgiven". ;)
Bingo.
I mean, if you're gonna wreck the economy even further by doing this then go ahead and forgive mine also. Granted, I've paid over half off already.
On the flip side, it could be the boost needed for starter housing to be a thing again. I don't know about where you live, but hardly anyone is building starter homes around here, there just is no demand from the younger generations....and I think student loan debt has a lot to do with that.
Make them dischargeable in bankruptcy.
Hey now, we can't fvck with all those securities based on student loan debt, that's crazy talk!

Politically, here is what I would do: I would do the $10k forgiveness for all loans. That should get the complainers off his back. I'd also means test for up to $25k, to quiet down the bitching that rich kids are getting a deal.

Morally, I would forgive all loans for ten years of public service, regardless of payment history. Now we require ten years of payments, and fvck you if you make so little you are in forbearance at times just to pay other bills...which applies to many non-profit workers.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Shocking that the Libertarian Raoul is in favor of a massive tax on the poor to help out the upper middle-class and the wealthy.
Shocking that you posted that before I posted something that proves this wrong. I only support my "moral" position and bankruptcy discharge...now politically or economically, we can have a discussion about pros and cons...hence why I posted what I would say if I had Biden's ear as an advisor.

I remember you once saying student loan forgiveness would be very effective stimulus, verses pumping money into banks and corporations.

Wrong again. You are not very smart. While you are at it go ahead and send me a check to pay for my summer vacation. I shouldn't have to pay for that
So, who is forcing your sons to attend college?? Whiny idiot.

Hey guys that GI Bill you got doesn't mean shit. Thanks for your service. You could have just went to college , partied for 6 years, lived on the dole, and it will all be paid back. Why? Because Demcorats pandering to the worthless ****s of soceity and they are behind in the polls.

Oh, and what about new loans going forward that people take out?

Hey guys that GI Bill you got doesn't mean shit. Thanks for your service. You could have just went to college , partied for 6 years, lived on the dole, and it will all be paid back. Why? Because Demcorats pandering to the worthless ****s of soceity and they are behind in the polls.

Oh, and what about new loans going forward that people take out?
Free loans! Free college! Free insurance for all! Free phones!

Reactions: ohio herd
I don't know about where you live, but hardly anyone is building starter homes around here, there just is no demand from the younger generations....and I think student loan debt has a lot to do with that.

Where I live they literally have no available property to build anything new, but I get your point.

I don't know though, the youngest generation are not into practicality. They live in the here and now. They take vacation as soon as they can accrue time, spend everything they make on self indulgence and are saving very little. I'm not sure they will want to do something sensible like investing in a new home, especially when they will likely move in the next 1-2 years, always looking for an employer who "gets them."

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Do we have a supply side issue and need more colleges? I'm thinking that must be why there's massive tuition inflation.
No, it's because the demand side that pays for the education demanded the education be more expensive. :rolleyes:

Where I live they literally have no available property to build anything new, but I get your point.

I don't know though, the youngest generation are not into practicality. They live in the here and now. They take vacation as soon as they can accrue time, spend everything they make on self indulgence and are saving very little. I'm not sure they will want to do something sensible like investing in a new home, especially when they will likely move in the next 1-2 years, always looking for an employer who "gets them."
We have tons of land to build on, and they are building....big fvcking houses.

Part of that job hopping is now smart...chase raises. The exact opposite of what we told as youngin's, but now companies don't want people to stay forever either. So get what you can.

No mone in starter homes or people would build them. There is money in bigger houses or mid point houses.

Also, these gay lumberjack generationals like all that mix used neighborhood stuff. Live here walk downstairs and the community is all there and places to buy $10 beers and fresh vegetables and all that. They don't want the 1100 ft rancher with a building out back.

Just make student loans dischargeable 10 years after the debt was incurred. Doesn't allow kids to drive directly from the graduation ceremony to the bankruptcy attorneys office but also makes the lenders be responsible in their lending.

Just make student loans dischargeable 10 years after the debt was incurred. Doesn't allow kids to drive directly from the graduation ceremony to the bankruptcy attorneys office but also makes the lenders be responsible in their lending.
And colleges get off scot free with no repercussions in raising tuition

Because there's unlimited demand because schools have guaranteed tuition payments with ZERO strings attached as to whether these loans ever get paid back. They have no skin in the game. That's what you mean, right?
Kind of like 12 years of public school without the tuition and debt. Is that what you mean?

And colleges get off scot free with no repercussions in raising tuition

The lenders would now have a vested interest in keeping their loans reasonable and likely put pressure on the schools to keep the loan amount required to attend down.

The lenders would now have a vested interest in keeping their loans reasonable and likely put pressure on the schools to keep the loan amount required to attend down.
Throw in the stipulation that 1/2 of that defaulted debt gets paid by the college endowments and you're on to something.

Throw in the stipulation that 1/2 of that defaulted debt gets paid by the college endowments and you're on to something.
Hell tie interest rates into majors. You want to major in 17th century gender queer studies your going to pay a higher interest rate. You want to major in something useful like healthcare your interest rate is lower

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT