ADVERTISEMENT

Boeing 737 Max 8

I read where Ethiopian pilots require only 250 hours of flight time to fly commercially. To fly in US you need 1500 hours.

#dontflyinethiopia

I read where Ethiopian pilots require only 250 hours of flight time to fly commercially. To fly in US you need 1500 hours.

#dontflyinethiopia

I hope you’re correct and it’s a pilot error that won’t duplicate itself but two from the same model in six month is causing some panic out there. This article after the black box recovery is what is concerning....

Data from the jetliner that crashed into the Java Sea last month shows the pilots fought to save the plane almost from the moment it took off, as the Boeing 737’s nose was repeatedly forced down, apparently by an automatic system receiving incorrect sensor readings.

The information from the flight data recorder, contained in a preliminary report prepared by Indonesian crash investigators and released on Wednesday, documents a fatal tug of war between man and machine, with the plane’s nose forced dangerously downward over two dozen times during the 11-minute flight.

The pilots managed to pull the nose back up over and over until finally losing control, leaving the plane, Lion Air Flight 610, to plummet into the ocean at 450 miles per hour, killing all 189 people on board.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/world/asia/indonesia-lion-air-crash-.html

This was a brand new model and two crashes within 6 months is causing many airlines to halt using them. Hopefully they figure it out, The US has offered to help investigate the most recent one.

This article says the pilot of the Ethiopian flight had 8000 hours of flight experience...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ont-know-ethiopian-airlines-crash/3137239002/

Hopefully the black box recovery of this recent crash gives the clues to solve the issue.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-shuddered-before-deadly-plunge-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

Smoke and sounds of mechanical breaking dont point to an issue with the stall warning system

Sounds like two different issues between the two crashes. The black box recovery will give a lot more data. On the Philippines flight the pilot fought sudden dives caused by false readings from a sensor. You’re right...from the description of the noise it doesn’t sound like a sensor issue. If both turn out to be two different mechanical issues Boeing is going to take a hit.

Sounds like two different issues between the two crashes. The black box recovery will give a lot more data. On the Philippines flight the pilot fought sudden dives caused by false readings from a sensor. You’re right...from the description of the noise it doesn’t sound like a sensor issue. If both turn out to be two different mechanical issues Boeing is going to take a hit.
They already are

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=BA&qsearchterm=boeing

Elaine Chao is at south by Southwest in Austin. Does not want to be bothered until she returns back to work.

Over-reaction. I would get on one right now...as long as it isn't been flown by a shithole airline.
The CEO of Boeing agrees with the decision. I believe it is the pilots not being properly trained and or maintenance issues with these shithole airlines. But, I believe they should go with caution and ground them for now.

I’m not ready to make training the primary issue as long as these planes are flying erratic and taking sudden dives. Calling this a training issue obscures what’s really going on...the planes have issues. What would you rather fly on...a perfectly operating plane flown by an Ethiopian pilot with 8,000 hours of successful flight time or a plane with a US pilot where the plane does erratic nose dives after takeoff?

I’m flying Ethiopian.

I’m not ready to make training the primary issue as long as these planes are flying erratic and taking sudden dives. Calling this a training issue obscures what’s really going on...the planes have issues. What would you rather fly on...a perfectly operating plane flown by an Ethiopian pilot with 8,000 hours of successful flight time or a plane with a US pilot where the plane does erratic nose dives after takeoff?

I’m flying Ethiopian.
If the flight system is new then it can absolutely be a training issue. If they aren’t familiar with where this button or that switch is that’s a training issue. Now I’m not saying it was solely related to that but just pointing out that it can be part of the problem

I’m flying Ethiopian.

From what I have read, there is a possibility Lion Air had a faulty angle of attack indicator, and replaced the wrong one. Whoops.

I have also read the exact same procedure is used on this 737 and earlier ones to take over stabilizer issues.

What has that Ethiopian been flying? What has the US pilot been flying? Hours don't mean much unless it is on the same platform. That said, I'd take a former USAF combat pilot over probably every Ethiopian ever to fly. Can Sully be my choice as pilot?

I’m flying Ethiopian.
No way. The US has a FAR superior safety record when it comes to flying that nations like Ethiopia. Southwest Airlines probably has the most experience with the 737 family. I would get on a 737-8 tomorrow over flying any plane flown by a skinny.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT