ADVERTISEMENT

Bringing it back?

Dreh_Nagi_HC_IM

Gold Buffalo
Feb 22, 2017
I read where there was talk of bringing back a smack board. Any update on whether there's plans to do so? I think it would help clean up the main board.

I signed a petition to bring it back. Anybody else on board?

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I read where there was talk of bringing back a smack board. Any update on whether there's plans to do so? I think it would help clean up the main board.

I signed a petition to bring it back. Anybody else on board?

I'd love it. As long as we don't get personal information from the Rivals database, we are free to post it. Josh Stowers told me himself.

Between the recently discovered treasure-trove of Herd Fever's pics I recently discovered and the vault of 30Kitty that we didn't have time to post, that board would blow up within days.

You shouldn't be here at all. I have NEVER understood why a fan of one school would ever visit another school's board. There is nothing on another board I would ever care to see
Perhaps it's due to the poster being a native WVian, who likely has many friends who are fans of the Herd, and enjoys back & forth banter. By reading other message boards, you can often gain insights as to what's going on with other programs. Perhaps that's why some feel the current state of Herd athletes is in pretty good shape, as they have no clue as to what is going with other programs who continue to improve.

Bring back TITM.

Just go to the other boards. They both have smack boards.
By the look of things, appears most have already done so.

latest

Reactions: MARSHALL77
By the look of things, appears most have already done so.

latest

I just looked at HF's smack board and they haven't had a single post since February 9th.

Their version of Pullman Square hasn't had any action since February 18th. Pullman has 11 active threads today alone.

HF's free board has four threads threads (that total 63 replies) with date stamps of 3/1. HN has five threads with 131 replies.

Adding HH's info:

Not a single post on their version of Pullman since 9/2016.

Free board has one active post with three replies.

Their smack board is active but it looks like a lot of the traffic comes from Sisters.

I pay for a subscription here for the Premium board I have a right to ask for a smack board on the board I pay for

It just got to be an admin nightmare, @Marine03.

I spent a lot of time over there and loved the place but after the WVU series stopped happening it served no real purpose, especially after people would simply not stop posting personal info.

The composite of Pullman, HN, and Old Fairfield are by far the most active Marshall related boards. I like all of them, but presenting it as though everyone left for other boards is way off base.

The composite of the old board shows that there has been a substantial decline across all of HerdNation as a whole. You can claim an increase on the paid site, but as I said before, that is a root of some of the issue behind the overall decline. The elimination of the smack board along with the drop in activity on the free board and Pullman easily negates any increase on the paid board. That's not to mention many of the threads on the paid site are the same topic as on the free board.

The other big Herd message board doesn't have a pay site. If you compare the free boards on both sites, you'll see they are very close. in activity. Much of the recent activity on this specific board has centered around discussing the issues with the board over the last year. Just a few days ago, there was a 36 hour period where there was no activity on the free board other than cut-and-pastes of newspaper articles by the board owner (with no responses).

It comes down to what is more important to those who run the board; making a little extra money or helping Marshall's recruiting and programs while at the same time increasing overall interest by fans. By appearance and actions, it appears they have decided to do the latter.

The other big Herd message board doesn't have a pay site.

Are you talking about HF? They absolutely have a pay board.

It comes down to what is more important to those who run the board; making a little extra money or helping Marshall's recruiting and programs while at the same time increasing overall interest by fans. By appearance and actions, it appears they have decided to do the latter.

I've made it a point to get HN buzzing again so that's not a fair statement.

I recognize the impact Rivals can have on recruiting but it's not nearly as much as it was a few years ago. Kids now care about how many Twitter followers (12k), FB likes (14K) and IG followers (5K) sites have. We dwarf HF and HH on those social media platforms, even when you combine the two.

Reactions: Josh Stowers
The composite of Pullman, HN, and Old Fairfield are by far the most active Marshall related boards. I like all of them, but presenting it as though everyone left for other boards is way off base.
I didn't state they had left for other Herd boards. As a reader of this board, it appears many familiar names simply no longer post. Clearly, this particular forum seems to be no more than the same banter, over and over again. A majority of the threads, despite what they start out as, end with Legg sucks, Dantonio sucks, Cato is the greatest of all time.

Additionally, many of the posts are from non-Herd fans, despite the forum title clearly reading, 'Herd Fans Only'. It appears the Pullman board is taking in some of the smack talk, as that forum isn't nearly what it used to be.

Bring back TITM. Non-Herd fans could post there.

Sistersville can be the moderator. He can report to Marine03.

Reactions: 30Kelly
The composite of the old board shows that there has been a substantial decline across all of HerdNation as a whole. You can claim an increase on the paid site, but as I said before, that is a root of some of the issue behind the overall decline. The elimination of the smack board along with the drop in activity on the free board and Pullman easily negates any increase on the paid board. That's not to mention many of the threads on the paid site are the same topic as on the free board.

The other big Herd message board doesn't have a pay site. If you compare the free boards on both sites, you'll see they are very close. in activity. Much of the recent activity on this specific board has centered around discussing the issues with the board over the last year. Just a few days ago, there was a 36 hour period where there was no activity on the free board other than cut-and-pastes of newspaper articles by the board owner (with no responses).

I didn't really read all that but my guess is it doesn't change the fact that HN is the most popular Marshall related sports site in existence. From where I stand the most active is a good thing.

Reactions: Josh Stowers
Are you talking about HF? They absolutely have a pay board.

Yes, the mission of their "pay board" is entirely different than the one here. Their pay board isn't even linked or advertised on the page listing of their forums.

I've made it a point to get HN buzzing again so that's not a fair statement.

It is a fair statement. The discussion was about how the overall activity on all of HN has drastically dropped. My assertion is that much of that has to do with the change in moderation. The fact that you admit that you have to get HN buzzing again is proof that the overall activity has dropped significantly.

Your counting of active posts on both boards today is inaccurate. Why didn't you count over the last two days? Over the last week? Over the last month? Further, two of the five active threads on here today (and most of the activity for a week) are about the moderators. So, you want to stop those discussions, yet you will count them in as active threads compared with HF?

I didn't really read all that but my guess is it doesn't change the fact that HN is the most popular Marshall related sports site in existence. From where I stand the most active is a good thing.

Lets put that in context:

Assume HN used to have 90% of the Herd fan marketplace. Now, assume it has just 40%. It could still be the most popular Marshall site, but it is a clear indication that things aren't being done correctly or else you wouldn't be losing so much of the market.

If the helmsman keeps patting himself on the back while the ship is taking on water, he won't be able to use both hands on the ship's wheel to try and right the ship.

If nothing else, watching rifle try and juggle two handles while pushing his agenda is entertaining.

It was far more entertaining reading the reactions of posters after your hypocrisy was exposed with screenshots from private messages . . . shutting down the smack board due to personal information being discretely posted . . . yet private messaging personal information about Herd fans and urging the use of it to chase posters off of the board.

It's the same hypocrisy of another moderator pinning a warning and suspending an account for posting personal information, then turning around and posting personal information a week later (while also lying in a comically bad attempt to justify it).

If you look at the overall interest (sites and social media) from Marshall fans then you'll see that HerdNation is clearly the most popular site for many reasons that most members have no clue of. I'll say this much and leave it at that. HerdNation is the only site that the university claims a relationship with.

Now, that can often play against us no differently than it plays for us because @Chris McLaughlin, @Dick Ash, @Sean Hammond, and myself confirm information before posting whereas other fan sites and accounts take something off Twitter and run with it 99% of the time.

Honestly, HerdNation has never been more popular and that's nothing against any of the former publishers/owners. Our social media presence has just made such an impact in the last two years that our popularity is at an all-time high.

HerdNation is the only site that the university claims a relationship with.

And there is the rub. The moderators, particularly you, put so much value into that, that it leads to drastically over moderating and tainting your opinion. It is no coincidence that it has also led to a drastic drop in overall activity on the HerdNation boards. Now, has one board (the paid site) allegedly had an increase in traffic? According to you, yes. But that serves no benefit to recruiting or the good of Marshall. It serves to line pockets of those invested in it, which I am all for, but it has hurt Marshall in other areas.

Honestly, HerdNation has never been more popular and that's nothing against any of the former publishers/owners. Our social media presence has just made such an impact in the last two years that our popularity is at an all-time high.

That's bogus. The phrase "HerdNation" is a generic term that dozens (if not hundreds) of other college and professional sports teams use. It is very common for other teams to utilize a team's nickname followed by "nation." The overwhelming followers on all of those social media sites have no clue and no interest in HerdNation as a message board. They are fans of Marshall, so they follow or like "HerdNation" as a generic term of support which is shown by fans of many other schools and teams.

To claim that the number of people following the social media sites (who are oblivious and had no interest in the message boards) means HerdNation boards are as popular as ever is extremely misleading.

The fact is - which has been stated many times - that the overall board activity is drastically lower. At least three of the four previous boards have seen a drop in activity. The only board which allegedly hasn't dropped does not help Marshall in recruiting. And that change corresponds with your involvement and the hypocrisy shown and allowed by some of the moderators on here.

I feel like we're listening to the 2016 election all over again...

I only wanted to know if there were plans to bring back the smack board. Can the owner please reply with a simple up or down vote?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT