ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Huff Exclusive

Nothing to worry about for now... The only opening at the moment is Nebraska and they are a dumpster fire.

That said... Some potential openings in the offseason that I'm certain Huff would be connected to would be -- Auburn, Georgia Tech and/or possibly Louisville.

Keep winning and sort all the rest of it out in January.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Nothing to worry about for now... The only opening at the moment is Nebraska and they are a dumpster fire.

That said... Some potential openings in the offseason that I'm certain Huff would be connected to would be -- Auburn, Georgia Tech and/or possibly Louisville.

Keep winning and sort all the rest of it out in January.

The irony is going to be when he ends up at Notre Dame after next year....

• Haha
Reactions: herdfan06
I hope that Coach Huff doesn't jump at the first opportunity and waits for an opening in the Big 10 or SEC. That's where the money will be going forward.
I don't disagree, and pretty much his entire life/career has been in the mid-atlantic/southeast... I think if he were to leave, it will be an SEC/ACC job... The one to watch is Auburn IMO.

I hope that Coach Huff doesn't jump at the first opportunity and waits for an opening in the Big 10 or SEC. That's where the money will be going forward.
I get that, but if that opportunity was say, Notre Dame. He should jump at that one. Down, overrated or not, that is a top job. Now if another Duke-ish type P5 comes calling he just needs to say thanks, but no thanks.

Others being bantered about are Nebraska, Auburn, and Ole Miss. I might take Nebraska, but the other two are fools gold. Auburn is always in Bama's shadow and Ole Miss is a 3-5 year stint and you're back to being someone else's assistant.

Reactions: ohio herd
I get that, but if that opportunity was say, Notre Dame. He should jump at that one. Down, overrated or not, that is a top job. Now if another Duke-ish type P5 comes calling he just needs to say thanks, but no thanks.

Others being bantered about are Nebraska, Auburn, and Ole Miss. I might take Nebraska, but the other two are fools gold. Auburn is always in Bama's shadow and Ole Miss is a 3-5 year stint and you're back to being someone else's assistant.
Texas A&M may come open too. Given their current recruiting class and recruiting territory, that’s one hell of a job.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Texas A&M may come open too. Given their current recruiting class and recruiting territory, that’s one hell of a job.
I thought about that one too, but I don't know about it. I think I read they would owe Jimbo so much money that it would be too costly to let him go this season. aTm would have to completely implode for Jimbo to get fired. Allegedly it's the same as WVU.

These big contracts have married these universities to their HCs. That's like Scott Frost. This dude just got PAID. 29M to be "unemployed". Now they have to fire all the assistants (do they have any kind of severance?) and then come up with huge money to buy another staff. So now Nebraska is going to spend close to 100M to change their staff over. It's insane.

Also the problem with Jimbo is that everyone in CFB operates on two false assumptions.

1. You're a bad coach if you don't go undefeated.

2. Losing to Appy State (or Marshall see ND reactions) is world ending because they're basically the P5 is the NFL and the G5 is D-II.

Reactions: ohio herd
Assuming Huff leaves at the end of the season, do we promote from within or do we look externally for a candidate - obviously too soon to really take this stuff seriously, but still fun to think about.

Reactions: Unclesteve287
The rest of the season will tell what happens at the end of the year. Undefeated and a NYD bowl game, Coach is gone. A couple losses and a normal also ran bowl game, Coach is here.

If I had my choice would choose the first option. Coach is going to leave at some point to greener pastures, prefer he go out with an amazing season.

Reactions: herdfan429
His next move is the most important. He’s a young guy that could coach for 30 more years. That’s $300MM to $500MM in future earnings at P5 HC levels. If he picks the wrong job where he can’t make it happen, he’ll cut hundreds of millions off that number.

As you said Rock, alot depends on what he does with this team the rest of the year and what jobs are available will tell what happens. Hopefully no top good jobs come available at the end of the year.

I don' think he would leave for just any job. ACC or SEC seems more to his background and liking. I don't think he would take anything out west accept maybe USC/UCLA. JMHO.

Reactions: HerdFB1
Are P5 teams really going to jump on a guy that is barely over .500 for his coaching career?
I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and watch the Paul Finebaum show every afternoon on the SEC network. Today one of his guests was Coach Huff. Great listening to him and his vision for Marshall football. This show is an SEC show so that should tell you something about the great coach we have and why he was featured on an SEC oriented show. Go Herd!

Reactions: Unclesteve287
I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and watch the Paul Finebaum show every afternoon on the SEC network. Today one of his guests was Coach Huff. Great listening to him and his vision for Marshall football. This show is an SEC show so that should tell you something about the great coach we have and why he was featured on an SEC oriented show. Go Herd!
Let's hold off on calling him great until we have a championship or two.

I don' think he would leave for just any job. ACC or SEC seems more to his background and liking. I don't think he would take anything out west accept maybe USC/UCLA. JMHO.
He will take almost any P5 out of town. With his current on field success, it might be a while.

Reactions: Jartard
He will take almost any P5 out of town. With his current on field success, it might be a while.
Yep. I wouldn’t take a chance on any first time HC until their 3rd season. Just too many unknowns to take a chance at the P5 level and the money they spend. If he goes, he goes. We’ll get someone else and move on.

Yep. I wouldn’t take a chance on any first time HC until their 3rd season. Just too many unknowns to take a chance at the P5 level and the money they spend. If he goes, he goes. We’ll get someone else and move on.
Lot's of coaches have one great year. I would want to see if they can actually sustain success.

I like Charles Huff and believe he runs a decent program, but I wish he was more like the Appy State coach who continually talks about how he loves the town and the school. Seems like Huff has been looking to leave since the day he got here.
Yeah, I wonder why the hell did he take the job then? Sure it pads the resume but it's not a good look. He's moved around a bunch in his career.

Are P5 teams really going to jump on a guy that is barely over .500 for his coaching career?

This is the stupidity that will run rampant on this board for years to come.

Notre Dame, this entire board was basically saying, "Huff can go anywhere he wants...he's gone by the end of the season. The ship has finally been righted(?)!!"

1 week later...

"Why would anyone hire that bum? I mean, he just lost to...Bowling Green. He's clearly not a good coach."

I'm with Bleeds. Huff has not accomplished great things here other than beating ND. Granted, that win got me very hyped about him and our prospects. And then he loses to BG and I am back to wondering if he is the real deal. Win the conference this year and he becomes a coach to be considered for other jobs. If he does not win the conference, why would larger schools take a chance on someone who has proved so little. There are some very good teams in the conference, and MU will be challenged week after week.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Yet there you were, with pretty much everyone else, all excited because a coordinator was from Alabama and you believed the winning pedigree would follow.
You didn't care that the criticism of the last guy, was the exact reason you're stating now, was not a good strategy and is the reason we're in what we're in.
Huff has lost 1 game and you're already questioning everything in your life to that point.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Yet there you were, with pretty much everyone else, all excited because a coordinator was from Alabama and you believed the winning pedigree would follow.
You didn't care that the criticism of the last guy, was the exact reason you're stating now, was not a good strategy and is the reason we're in what we're in.
Huff has lost 1 game and you're already questioning everything in your life to that point.
When did we hire a coordinator from Alabama?

Also it's "gotcha" people like you that make these boards so toxic at times because you can't get your facts straight and you are incapable of nuanced conversation or thought. Do you really think everyone is bailing on Huff after just one game? It was just last week? There's not other evidence to this point in his tenure as our HC that would give us reason to pause on him?

Notre Dame got a lot of people perking up. It made us think that maybe things were different, but boy did BG not look a lot like ECU, Appy, MTSU, WKU, and the bowl game vs ULL.

So now yea. We're asking ourselves how the coaches are going to respond to last week. How are the players going to respond. The truth of the matter is to this point in Huff's career as a HC. Through 16 games. The Notre Dame win is an outlier and the BG game is more toward the norm.

I just do not believe he is a hot commodity right now
There are a lot of people looking at him. Doesn't mean anyone is going to hire him. They are waiting to see how he does. There were people looking at him before he took the job, but no one was really sure on him. There were plenty of write ups about him when he took the job. This is and always has been his job interview for bigger jobs.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Not questioning anything. I still like him as coach. That has nothing to do with my opinion about him leaving and when. Two totally different topics. You read more into these posts than is ever written my friend.

Well it is a departure from our last coach who got no calls from other schools in his 11 years here. lol!

As long as it’s not in Huntington or Milton he’s gone. It’s tough living in huntington

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I'm with Bleeds. Huff has not accomplished great things here other than beating ND. Granted, that win got me very hyped about him and our prospects. And then he loses to BG and I am back to wondering if he is the real deal. Win the conference this year and he becomes a coach to be considered for other jobs. If he does not win the conference, why would larger schools take a chance on someone who has proved so little. There are some very good teams in the conference, and MU will be challenged week after week.

Why would they?
When did we hire a coordinator from Alabama?

Also it's "gotcha" people like you that make these boards so toxic at times because you can't get your facts straight and you are incapable of nuanced conversation or thought. Do you really think everyone is bailing on Huff after just one game? It was just last week? There's not other evidence to this point in his tenure as our HC that would give us reason to pause on him?

Notre Dame got a lot of people perking up. It made us think that maybe things were different, but boy did BG not look a lot like ECU, Appy, MTSU, WKU, and the bowl game vs ULL.

So now yea. We're asking ourselves how the coaches are going to respond to last week. How are the players going to respond. The truth of the matter is to this point in Huff's career as a HC. Through 16 games. The Notre Dame win is an outlier and the BG game is more toward the norm.

It never has been a "gotcha" moment if it has been ongoing for the last few coaches MU has had.

Compare the board after ND...let's put it this way...EVEN GODDAMN SAM COMPLIMENTED HUFF.
Now, people are questioning Huff's ability to coach, at all, anywhere.
If someone else had beaten ND, all people would say is, "Well, ND wasn't really THAT good..." It's basically what is already being said now,
"The ND win a big one...BUT..."

I'm saying, be consistent. ND is probably the biggest win minus Xavier, in MU's history despite it being early in the season, just wait to see his body of work before you anoint him the savior of the (somehow) mediocrity of MU's program...then trash him the week after for a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT