ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Spears: Yes or No

Do you approve of the overall performance of AD Spears at this point in time?

• Yes

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Sluggish 72 made the comment that more on here disapprove of the job our AD is doing vs approve of same. The poll is open!

Sluggish 72 made the comment that more on here disapprove of the job our AD is doing vs approve of same. The poll is open!
His name is Sluggo72, not Sluggish 72.

He also didn’t say what you claim he did. He said there are more on the board that are anti Spears than who are pro Spears.

I’m anti Philadelphia Phillies, but they’re doing a hell of a job. So I am anti them but approve of what they’re doing. Similarly, I can approve of the job that somebody is doing but still be against them.

Reactions: RhinoD
His name is Sluggo72, not Sluggish 72.

He also didn’t say what you claim he did. He said there are more on the board that are anti Spears than who are pro Spears.

I’m anti Philadelphia Phillies, but they’re doing a hell of a job. So I am anti them but approve of what they’re doing. Similarly, I can approve of the job that somebody is doing but still be against them.
Not sure how to take all of this. I know I m pro Phillies
OTOH I know CS is a feckless bureaucrat
You’ll will see that soon enough

Reactions: The Real SamC
Not sure how to take all of this. I know I m pro Phillies
OTOH I know CS is a feckless bureaucrat
You’ll will see that soon enough
It would be extremely helpful if you could describe your dislike of Spears in behavioral terms. What does "Feckless bureaucrat" mean?

Well here’s a start
feckless /fĕk′lĭs/

adjective​

1. Careless and irresponsible.
  2. Feeble or ineffective.
  3. Spiritless, weak, worthless
Well that’s a pretty good start

Read this article. Spears has to share the limelight w Waggoner when talking about the new baseball stadium. Spears hates sharing the limelight w people, he quickly realized that a new stadium would put Wags in the spotlight and not him. He fired Wags
He fires the women’s soccer coach. I mean who fires a women’s soccer coach when the programs does not have any NCAA problems or academic problems.
He fired the T&F coach for no reason, the team actually was doing very well
Spears did mumble something about living out of state ( you know across the river in Ohio like many other MU employees)
When he does have to do something like w Football or Basketball he lets Brad do the heavy lifting
The only thing positive was WBB , which basically dropped in his lap, and only because he double to tripled the salary and staff
And now we start over
MU athletics budget is a complete mess.
FB has massive over runs ( I mean who flies to Harrisonburg VA)
Baseball stadium over budget. They tried to hide that w the concession revenue
What else u want to know

Did you walk in on Spears and your wife or did somebody tell you about it?
Oh I forgot about that MU was looking to fire him two weeks in for lying on his resume. They had all the receipts as they say. But Gilbert was on his way out as were others so they decided not to mess w it

Well here’s a start
feckless /fĕk′lĭs/

adjective​

Read this article. Spears has to share the limelight w Waggoner when talking about the new baseball stadium. Spears hates sharing the limelight w people, he quickly realized that a new stadium would put Wags in the spotlight and not him. He fired Wags
He fires the women’s soccer coach. I mean who fires a women’s soccer coach when the programs does not have any NCAA problems or academic problems.
Spears did mumble something about living out of state ( you know across the river in Ohio like many other MU employees)
When he does have to do something like w Football or Basketball he lets Brad do the heavy lifting
The only thing positive was WBB , which basically dropped in his lap, and only because he double to tripled the salary and staff
And now we start over
What else u want to know
I do not know the reasons for any of the above actions. How do you know them? Unless you were a fly on the wall or standing in the room when these things were discussed or decided, then you are getting your information from second or third hand sources. Before ranting, verification of your sources would be in order and would give your comments much more credibility.

Last edited:
I do not know the reasons for any of the above actions. How do you know them? Unless you were a fly on the wall or standing in the room when these things were discussed or decided, then you are getting your information from second or third hand sources. Before ranting, verification of your sources would be in order and would give your comments much more credibility.
my sources are all solid. all from people in the room/s

Well here’s a start
feckless /fĕk′lĭs/

adjective​

And now we start over
What else u want to know
What article are you referencing with Waggoner?

A lot of assumptions and no proof with that.

So your level success for the Olympic sports is not getting in academic or NCAA trouble and not actual success?

There it is the reason for your hate, he fired your buddy at the T&F.

Who cares if he lives in Ohio? You even mention other Marshall employees live there. Dumb comment

I mean you kept going on and on that the football coach and men's basketball coach report directly to the President of Marshall, so what do you expect him to do?

Kemper made $168,000 his last year as the coach and Kim made $200,000 as her base salary. Seems like a good investment of a coach that was a national champion to get her to come here.
Below is Kemper's salary his last full year at Marshall.

You also do realize that the NCAA approved the increase of two additional coaches the same year/season that Kim took over as well. Thus the increase of coaches came from NCAA changes, not specifically from Spears.

And you are penalizing this regime of having to "start over" after Kim won and gave us a good buyout for further investment of the women's basketball program?

How is the sports budget a complete mess? Actual data source on that, not just an open baseless comment.

Again, what is the massive over run from the football team. What is the number and the data reference?
Seems if JMU is flying here for a football game, we are following conference mate's example for travel.

How much is/was the baseball park over budget from a capital investment?

And how can you hide it from concession revenue? Doesn't Marshall not have a general agreement for food and drinks from the same supplier for football and basketball?

How much is Marshall making from just baseball concession, where is the data?

And it is kind of hard to take someone serious that types all that drivel and uses "u" instead of typing it out.

Oh I forgot about that MU was looking to fire him two weeks in for lying on his resume. They had all the receipts as they say. But Gilbert was on his way out as were others so they decided not to mess w it

Spill it, what did he lie about on his resume?

Not a hater or fan of Spears, but quit making slanderous comments, because he fired your track and field buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: herdinmichigan
What article are you referencing with Waggoner?

A lot of assumptions and no proof with that.

So your level success is not for the Olympic sports is not getting in academic or NCAA trouble and not actual success?

There it is the reason for your hate, he fired your buddy at the T&F.

Who cares if he lives in Ohio? You even mention other Marshall employees live there. Dumb comment

I mean you kept going on and on that the football coach and men's basketball coach report directly to the President of Marshall, so what do you expect him to do?

Kemper made $168,000 his last year as the coach and Kim made $200,000 as her base salary. Seems like a good investment of a coach that was a national champion to get her to come here.
Below is Kemper's salary his last full year at Marshall.

You also do realize that the NCAA approved the increase of two additional coaches the same year/season that Kim took over as well. Thus the increase of coaches came from NCAA changes, not specifically from Spears.

And you are penalizing this regime of having to "start over" after Kim won and gave us a good buyout for further investment of the women's basketball program?

How is the sports budget a complete mess? Actual data source on that, not just an open baseless comment.

Again, what is the massive over run from the football team. What is the number and the data reference?
Seems if JMU flies here for a football game, we are following conference mate's example for travel.

How much is/was the baseball over budget from a capital investment?

And how can you hide it from concession revenue? Doesn't Marshall not have a general agreement for food and drinks from the same supplier for football and basketball? How much is Marshall making from just baseball concession, where is the data?

And it is kind of hard to take someone serious that types all that drivel and uses "u" instead of typing it out.

Spill it, what did he lie about on his resume?

Not a hater or fan of Spears, but quit making slandering comments, because he fired your track and field buddy.
I didn’t make the out of state comment spears did.

I didn’t make the out of state comment spears did.

I do not give two craps if he made a comment of living in Ohio and neither should you.

Where is you data or reference on all your statements.

This is silly. It does not take "sources" or "data" or whatever to form an OPINION on CS.

The opinion of most who care about MU is that this career #2 man has done a very bad job. Relative to men's basketball, relative to football, relative to baseball, and relative to women's soccer. And most importantly, relative to the budget, which is a mess. Facts.

He made a solid hire at women's basketball, and men's soccer is on auto pilot. Other than that, nothing.

Fire CS.

Reactions: sluggo72
This is silly. It does not take "sources" or "data" or whatever to form an OPINION on CS.

The opinion of most who care about MU is that this career #2 man has done a very bad job. Relative to men's basketball, relative to football, relative to baseball, and relative to women's soccer. And most importantly, relative to the budget, which is a mess. Facts.

He made a solid hire at women's basketball, and men's soccer is on auto pilot. Other than that, nothing.

Fire CS.

When you keep saying of spending and over budget blah blah blah, yes you are going to have to reference where you are pulling that information.Otherwise, you just come off as a being vindictive and just throwing stuff out there hoping it sticks.

Well I know one thing:
It appears sluggish72 misread the room when he stated that “more people want him fired than support him” was way off the mark. As usual, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and, other than sluggish & Sam, very few others agree. Yes over No by 2-1 margin. And no need to make up a story using 2nd, 3rd, or plain imaginary sources!
Chew on your mistake……

Well here’s a start
feckless /fĕk′lĭs/

adjective​

And now we start over
What else u want to know
Our budget has always been dicey. The baseball point is hilarious. Your buddy totally ****ed up the process initially with a poor bid and cost process. And on a site that most knew wasn't good.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Not close enough to judge if he is doing a great job or a horrible one, but he does face incredible challenges in being our AD. Start with conference consolidation that will reduce the number of P5 games available for us. Then consider the NCAA/P5 settlement that will reduce the money we receive from TV and March Madness. Then you have overall lower attendance for college football, the aging of traditional donors, Title IX, the aging of our FB and BB facilities, the costs of everything increasing, and who knows what else. If my reading of him, and what a major player in college athletics told me, he is primarily a guy to work on funding, revenue, etc. I do see some signs that he is working on those areas but as many here point out, Huntington, and West Virginia, and even the SunBelt and now the world of paying players are not hot beds of locations where wealthy donors are eager to give their money away. Time will tell how all of this college athletics shake out, but it will be different. A lot different. And no going back, so I see no need to discuss what happened yesterday or last year, etc.

Well I know one thing:
It appears sluggish72 misread the room when he stated that “more people want him fired than support him” was way off the mark. As usual, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and, other than sluggish & Sam, very few others agree. Yes over No by 2-1 margin. And no need to make up a story using 2nd, 3rd, or plain imaginary sources!
Chew on your mistake……
No stories made up. Just some information plus some logic.
It’s easy when dealing w a feckless bureaucrat
His ego is written checks his abilities can’t cash

No stories made up. Just some information plus some logic.
It’s easy when dealing w a feckless bureaucrat
His ego is written checks his abilities can’t cash
Yet you offer nothing but speculation. You've been asked multiple times to provide and facts to back up your claims but you CANT.

Yet you offer nothing but speculation. You've been asked multiple times to provide and facts to back up your claims but you CANT.
How does one provide facts of conversations they have had w others?
The Waggoner firing is follow the dots. Newspaper quotes Wags more then Spears, Spears ego can’t take it, needs the limelight on him, so fires him. I mean what AD fires a baseball coach in the middle of Oct? SMH

How does one provide facts of conversations they have had w others?
The Waggoner firing is follow the dots. Newspaper quotes Wags more then Spears, Spears ego can’t take it, needs the limelight on him, so fires him. I mean what AD fires a baseball coach in the middle of Oct? SMH
You claim our budgets are a mess where are you getting numbers. Surely the people you "talk" with offer more than simple explanations for what they are claiming.

You claim our budgets are a mess where are you getting numbers. Surely the people you "talk" with offer more than simple explanations for what they are claiming.
You must have missed the HC going to the Nike portal to order equipment but Nike had them cut off. They hadn’t paid their bill for 2 yrs. Oh well I guess it got straightened out Nike brought them back but only after they shut MU down. Which is almost unheard of.

Many times on this board, people have mentioned that it was time for Waggoner to leave due to off-the-field issues. How come you never asked for specifics about those claims but you are asking/questioning the validity of comments about Spears?

Reactions: Herd1972

Fire CS.
Facts and description of observed behaviors are needed to form an accurate opinion, not angry rants!!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If this is how I sounded when I said Huggs interviewed for MU, and honestly that is what I heard, then whoa, I looked dumb.
Sorry guys...my bad. Guess I was wrong.

I doubt Sluggo can muster the courage to admit he's wrong in a good number of, if not all things he has said:

So Spears fires Waggs because an article, taking about the baseball field, has Waggs quoted more...and somehow this angered Spears enough to fire him?

He fired the other coaches because they...were not winning games, which is what they're paid to do?

He doesn't deal with football or basketball because...the MU president does that? How? I didn't know Brad Smith is going to be doing the hiring for coaches?

Coach Caldwell "fell into his lap"? You mean he went out and did EXACTLY what Hamrick did with Coach Grassie, hiring a proven HC and winner from a lower division?

"Now we start over" you mean the exact scenario everyone is fine with? Where MU wins a conference title and the HC gets hired away and MU becomes a hot ticket for a new HC?

I don't even know where to start with the over budget of the baseball field or concessions as they make no sense, much like your irrational hatred for this person.

You're basically putting a personality with someone, that hasn't been shown to even exist, and stating it as a driving force behind his actions, defending it as a fact.

You haven't provided ANY written proof of these ideas...no articles, no other quotes from credible sources, nothing but "connect the dots."
If Spears gave any damn about you, I'd tread lightly because you're flirting with Libel at this point considering your statements are pretty damning.

Lucky for you, he likely could care less because of how dumb your statements are and how little of importance you serve.
Although it would be funny to see you publicly trying to prove this garbage with you fumbling papers out of a briefcase looking like George Bailey when he's on the bridge.

Sluggish is like a smooth talking door to door salesman…”Trust me Mrs. Dingleberry, this is the best douching kit ever invented!”

Truth is an absolute defense to libel.

All the "proof" one needs is clearly on the field, court, course, etc.
As Pilate said to Jesus:
“What is truth?”
The criticism of yours & sluggish’s comments has nothing to do with a legal term. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and each of us subjectively observes with our own built-in prejudices and bias.
Somewhere between Aaron’s “if MU is playing, I’m thrilled” and Samslug’s “if EVERYTHING is not going perfectly, then fire their asses” with a special “if I don’t like the guy, no matter what - fire his ass!” lies the majority of us on this board, imo.
Meanwhile, the earth rotates around the sun….

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Truth is an absolute defense to libel.

All the "proof" one needs is clearly on the field, court, course, etc.
But there has been zero truth, just mud slinging hoping it sticks.

What did Spears lie about on his resume? And how convenient, he was going to get fired but the person that was going to do it was being let go themselves haha.

What comment did he say about living in Ohio?

How much is the baseball stadium over budget?

How much is football over budget that would cause concern for traveling that our conference mates also do?

We know sluggo is full of crap just from his historical posts, but his comments on women's basketball took a 2 minutes search to disprove just from that.

Just a disgruntled girlfriend that is mad at Spears for firing the track and field coach. No more, no less on the matter.

Update: Yes over No by nearly 3 to 1 now. If this was an election, it would be deemed a landslide.
Once again, sluggish proved (this time, with actual, verifiable results!) wrong.

If this is how I sounded when I said Huggs interviewed for MU, and honestly that is what I heard, then whoa, I looked dumb.
Sorry guys...my bad. Guess I was wrong.

I doubt Sluggo can muster the courage to admit he's wrong in a good number of, if not all things he has said:

So Spears fires Waggs because an article, taking about the baseball field, has Waggs quoted more...and somehow this angered Spears enough to fire him? Wags was still around in Sept, there is a link to the article where they quote him (behind the pay wall), by Oct he is fired? why? I conclude its Ego on CS part. Remember the 5th largest Scoreboard in the NCAA?

He fired the other coaches because they...were not winning games, which is what they're paid to do? Womens Soceer went 7-9 and were building . T&F had one of their best years ever

He doesn't deal with football or basketball because...the MU president does that? How? I didn't know Brad Smith is going to be doing the hiring for coaches? True the FB coach and the MBB coach answer to the President not the AD, and they have since at least BP. CS job is to get Huff his coffee in the AM

Coach Caldwell "fell into his lap"? You mean he went out and did EXACTLY what Hamrick did with Coach Grassie, hiring a proven HC and winner from a lower division? lucky we needed at coach just when she was winning a DII natty and from WV.

"Now we start over" you mean the exact scenario everyone is fine with? Where MU wins a conference title and the HC gets hired away and MU becomes a hot ticket for a new HC? Now we are into the DIII experiment

I don't even know where to start with the over budget of the baseball field or concessions as they make no sense, much like your irrational hatred for this person. at least $100,000 he tried to shake down Sodex for a $100,00 just so they could sell hotdogs at the new stadium, they laughed.

You're basically putting a personality with someone, that hasn't been shown to even exist, and stating it as a driving force behind his actions, defending it as a fact.

You haven't provided ANY written proof of these ideas...no articles, no other quotes from credible sources, nothing but "connect the dots." why did Wags get fired?
If Spears gave any damn about you, I'd tread lightly because you're flirting with Libel at this point considering your statements are pretty damning.

Lucky for you, he likely could care less because of how dumb your statements are and how little of importance you serve.
Although it would be funny to see you publicly trying to prove this garbage with you fumbling papers out of a briefcase looking like George Bailey when he's on the bridge.
see above Lets face it, Spears only needs 1 no vote to be gone.

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Shouldn't any anger be directed towards Gilbert, Smith and the BOG? They are the ones who approved hiring, firing. CS has been here, what, a little over 2 years? He's no KO Marcum. lol!

The AD doesn't matter anymore. You need a department where you have some of those guys like that movie about the Oakland A's and they find players. It is like one big pick up game each season. I wouldn't even sew name tapes on jersey's on the jersey's anymore. Just velcro them on or maybe just use a dry erase marker.

That is what you need. Cheating is now legal so you might as well get good at it. You need coaches good at it and your athletic department might as well be good at it too and it should be centered around it. Free agency run wild.

If I were a football coach I would run the wishbone or option. Find players that could run it and they might stay longer and these rotating players of the other schools could never stop it. Don't have time to stop and they have 85 new guys next year. Meanwhile we would be running the old Barry Switzer or Tom Osbourne offense crushing people. Would be cheaper too becuase wide receivers and flame thrower qb's cost too much. Need some hogs up front that can move the pile. Big tight ends that are like an extra lineman.

Reactions: sluggo72
sluggish’s

You are a better poster than that. Use proper screen names for all posters. This isn't 3rd grade.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and each of us subjectively observes with our own built-in prejudices and bias.
Well, yes. Some people get it. Some don't. Some people sit around at 70 and say "if I had invested my money in Wal-Mart back in 82..." and some people invested their money in Wal-Mart back in 82. Likewise, some fanbases will enjoy the next era, and we will have CS.
Meanwhile, the earth rotates around the sun….
And MU continues to disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT