ADVERTISEMENT

Corny Jackson

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Now that we have closed the book on DD I am curious what some of you think about him as a person, his potential as our new coach. does he seem to have a grasp on the x/o and can he recruit us some jimmies and joes? I have always had a good impression of him so I am going to get on the wagon now and see where he takes Herd basketball the next couple of years

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
As of right now there is no wagon to get on, if there is some kind of wagon it definitely doesn’t have any wheels, Marshall’s selection committee need their heads checked..

A lot to prove being he has ZERO proof he can even do the job, and if he can he sure as heck hasn’t done anything to help the team up till now…..

Should have combed the country for a new Head Coach with some kind of tangible record of winning and hired them, and let him select his staff…

Why do he have to be the school coach’s start at.

Sorry not sorry….

I dont know him at all... But the number one question that will determine his success will be this one - Can he recruit?

In college basketball, X's and O's is almost an afterthought. The players are going to do what they want and every year the game becomes more and more ISO/matchup heavy and transition dependent... The key to winning games is building a team that is talented enough to win those matchups and win the transition points battle (limit turnovers/force turnovers). We had it with Elmore, West, Kinsey, Penava... We haven't had it since and we don't have it now.

Hopefully he has a list of guys he's already in contact with, because we need anywhere from 7-10 new bodies assuming he can keep OAK and Martin.

Here is our current roster on Herdzone -- Not much to look at and at least 2-3 that should be "encouraged to seek other opportunities"

2. Wyatt Fricks
3. Kyle Braun
4. Jacob Conner
13. Creighton Thienemen
14. Ryan Nutter
25. OAK
30. Kaycen Pruitt
41. Martin

I dont know him at all... But the number one question that will determine his success will be this one - Can he recruit?

In college basketball, X's and O's is almost an afterthought. The players are going to do what they want and every year the game becomes more and more ISO/matchup heavy and transition dependent... The key to winning games is building a team that is talented enough to win those matchups and win the transition points battle (limit turnovers/force turnovers). We had it with Elmore, West, Kinsey, Penava... We haven't had it since and we don't have it now.

Hopefully he has a list of guys he's already in contact with, because we need anywhere from 7-10 new bodies assuming he can keep OAK and Martin.

Here is our current roster on Herdzone -- Not much to look at and at least 2-3 that should be "encouraged to seek other opportunities"

2. Wyatt Fricks
3. Kyle Braun
4. Jacob Conner
13. Creighton Thienemen
14. Ryan Nutter
25. OAK
30. Kaycen Pruitt
41. Martin
Jmo, but he has two guys to build around, Oak and Martin. That's slim pickens for any coach.

Jmo, but he has two guys to build around, Oak and Martin. That's slim pickens for any coach.
Totally agree... I don't hate Fricks off the bench as a limited role player (at least he's 6'10) but those three are the only three that should see any minutes next year... Which means we need to find at least 4 guards, 2 wings, and a depth big -- at minimum.

I wish him luck that is a tall order.

2. Wyatt Fricks
3. Kyle Braun
4. Jacob Conner
13. Creighton Thienemen
14. Ryan Nutter
25. OAK
30. Kaycen Pruitt
41. Martin
Give me Martin, OAK, Conner, and Nutter. The rest of them need to find other schools.

2. Wyatt Fricks
3. Kyle Braun
4. Jacob Conner
13. Creighton Thienemen
14. Ryan Nutter
25. OAK
30. Kaycen Pruitt
41. Martin
That is . . . something.

What in the world do you see in Conner and Nutter that would warrant keeping them around and on scholarship?

Both are D2 level, at their very best.
I understand you feeling that way.

IMO, Conner played really well as a freshman. I'm not sure what happened this past year but am confident he could help.

Nutter is much more debatable. I like his motor and I think he plays solid D. I think he can a serviceable player that sticks around which helps keep stability in the roster. Same could be said for all them I know, but I do view him as having some potential.

Not sure why we continue to demean our players. Coaches and administrators are fair game. Players may simply need a change, as much as fans. Jacob certainly is not a point guard and I believe having to assume those responsibilities for a significant time may have had a negative impact on his game. We'll see this next year. Nutter played well at times but also played like a true freshman at other times. Wyatt has shown good skills defensively, but needs to improve his offensive production. He has the ability to shoot from three but has not shot the 3 well in games. I'm hopeful everyone will improve and that Corny can get us some players via the portal. The 2 signees for next year, look promising. Calling players out and suggesting they do not belong at this level is an opinion, that does nothing to help, by stating it on an open forum. Criticize game performance, citing specific deficiencies shown, is more meaningful and helpful. These folks are playing for us and deserve our respect and encouragement, not derision.

If you watch any college basketball it’s pretty obvious our best players are, at best, 4th or 5th options on an at large bid quality team. If you want to be a legit top 75 type team you are not going to be there unless you overrecruit everyone on the current roster.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Here is an interview Corney did last fall if you are not familiar with his story.

It is lengthy, but good interview though.

It appears that CJ has a two year window to secure the job permanently. I would think he would have to clean up roster to get players since the vast majority of the team are not D1 players. As Sonny use to say "you can't make chicken salad without the chicken". For example one player mentioned in this tread played high school basketball within a two hour drive of most of the MAC members and never received an offer from the schools (he had NAIA offers).

I would have preferred a national search for the position, but it is what is. CJ seems to be a class act from people I know who have interacted with him. I wish him success.

This is a one year deal if it goes Kenny Payne historically bad. If we win another 13 games next year, Spears will pull the plug and get his own guy I'm betting. He's got a very short window, but in today's CBB, you can improve quickly with the portal. If he's smart and wants to be here long term, I'd schedule a very soft out of conference schedule next year to rack up wins in November and December.

If the administration thought CJ was the long term plan, he would've gotten at least a 4yr deal. He's got his chance, but that leash is tight as hell.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
This is a one year deal if it goes Kenny Payne historically bad. If we win another 13 games next year, Spears will pull the plug and get his own guy I'm betting. He's got a very short window, but in today's CBB, you can improve quickly with the portal. If he's smart and wants to be here long term, I'd schedule a very soft out of conference schedule next year to rack up wins in November and December.

If the administration thought CJ was the long term plan, he would've gotten at least a 4yr deal. He's got his chance, but that leash is tight as hell.
I don't see any way they would fire him after one year, nor should they... With what he is inheriting?... John Wooden wouldn't make it to .500 next year.

You can't tell the guy - Congrats, the job is yours, you have less than one calendar year to take an awful roster with 8 current players and turn them into a winner.

He will get Dan's last two years... If we improve during that time, then you evaluate the amount of improvement. If we don't, two years from now Spears will be looking for "his guy."

I don't see any way they would fire him after one year, nor should they... With what he is inheriting?... John Wooden wouldn't make it to .500 next year.

You can't tell the guy - Congrats, the job is yours, you have less than one calendar year to take an awful roster with 8 current players and turn them into a winner.

He will get Dan's last two years... If we improve during that time, then you evaluate the amount of improvement. If we don't, two years from now Spears will be looking for "his guy."
Agree. Year one will be tough, a lot of adjustments. Year two will be the big one to determine what the future holds.

Reactions: RhinoD

I don't mind him getting Dan's last two years and agree Corny should get that amount of time to prove himself but he should not get Danny's absurdly soft OOC slate in November and December. Please no more Bluefield State's on the regular season slate and why not grab for the brass ring more often, UK, OSU, VPI, UVA as money games. I know we played UK last year but Dan moaned about it all season. In reality a MU coach is going to be judged on conference play anyway.

I don't mind him getting Dan's last two years and agree Corny should get that amount of time to prove himself but he should not get Danny's absurdly soft OOC slate in November and December. Please no more Bluefield State's on the regular season slate and why not grab for the brass ring more often, UK, OSU, VPI, UVA as money games. I know we played UK last year but Dan moaned about it all season. In reality a MU coach is going to be judged on conference play anyway.
I agree we should drop the DII game... And limit ourselves to 2 MAC opponents.

So the coach is really an interim, with a one year deal, or maybe he has two years. Or maybe it is a straight hire and he will be reviewed like others. Or something else.

No one knows, because those in power lack the respect for you to conduct the affairs of this public university in the open, like every other such school does.

Fire CS.

He's from Fayette County like myself. Likely means he's an outstanding guy with strong character attributes.
OK agree but he also is wholly without any head coaching experience. I wish Coach Jackson all the best and hope he is successful. Any details as to bc his contact ever been released?

OK agree but he also is wholly without any head coaching experience. I wish Coach Jackson all the best and hope he is successful. Any details as to bc his contact ever been released?
I'm no expert in wholiness, so I'll have to defer to the resident pastor, wvkeeper.

However, I am famous around the country in regards to my expertise in printing production, and will open the thread up to any questions.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT