ADVERTISEMENT

Culture Shock

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Marshall soccer continued their trend of signing foreigners today by getting a commitment from Haruhi Taneda.

What do you think about Marshall doing this? Can you imagine foreign kids seeing things about the U.S. their entire life: California sun and beaches, New York City towers, celebs, wealth, etc., then landing in Huntington?

Instead of California beaches, they get brown water in the Ohio. Instead of the NYC skyline, they get The Frederick. Instead of Samuel L. Jackson they get Alligator Jackson. Instead of wealth they get Hillbilly Hot Dogs and “luxury apartments” like the one in my icon. Instead of Rodeo Drive they get Hal Greer Blvd. That has to be a brutal wake-up call for these kids.

Should Marshall be bringing a bunch of foreign kids to Little Detroit and putting their life and well-being at risk?

There is always the possibility that Marshall and the Huntington area is an improvement over where he comes from. Yes, the Ohio might be brown, but at least it isn’t choked full of dead humans and animals floating toward the sea. Yet.

Who gives a shit? It's soccer.

So much for all of your "rah-rah, this is a Marshall board and WVU fans aren't welcome" bullshit.
The irony of defending something while simultaneously ridiculing it is very perplexing. It's analogous to shielding a friend from criticism while also being the first to mock them behind their back.

Reactions: 19MU88
Marshall soccer continued their trend of signing foreigners today by getting a commitment from Haruhi Taneda.

What do you think about Marshall doing this? Can you imagine foreign kids seeing things about the U.S. their entire life: California sun and beaches, New York City towers, celebs, wealth, etc., then landing in Huntington?

Instead of California beaches, they get brown water in the Ohio. Instead of the NYC skyline, they get The Frederick. Instead of Samuel L. Jackson they get Alligator Jackson. Instead of wealth they get Hillbilly Hot Dogs and “luxury apartments” like the one in my icon. Instead of Rodeo Drive they get Hal Greer Blvd. That has to be a brutal wake-up call for these kids.

Should Marshall be bringing a bunch of foreign kids to Little Detroit and putting their life and well-being at risk?

I know you may have forgotten due to your head injury, but why in the world did you ever try to come back to such a place to coach(even if you were laughed at and denied).

• Haha
Reactions: rvntx and 19MU88

Have you been to New York City, Los Angeles, or San Francisco lately?????

Reactions: rvntx
So much for all of your "rah-rah, this is a Marshall board and WVU fans aren't welcome" bullshit.
What does that have to do with any of this? This is a Marshall topic on a Marshall board, moron. Are we supposed to be like Perkins and just agree with everything Marshall and close our eyes to reality?

The irony of defending something while simultaneously ridiculing it is very perplexing.
Hardly. It's called being honest and realistic. You should try it instead of continuing to pretend that wvu isn't a shithole.

I know you may have forgotten due to your head injury, but why in the world did you ever try to come back to such a place to coach(even if you were laughed at and denied).
The same reason why I came originally: King among peasants.

Have you been to New York City, Los Angeles, or San Francisco lately?????
I was in Los Angeles two nights ago. I was in NYC in January. I was in SF about a year ago. They are all substantially superior to Little Detroit.

I was in Los Angeles two nights ago. I was in NYC in January. I was in SF about a year ago. They are all substantially superior to Little Detroit.

What’s different is that while a place like New York City might look like a young Bo Derek in comparison from a distance, once you cross the river into Manhattan, you realize she has every sexually transmitted disease imaginable.

What’s different is that while a place like New York City might look like a young Bo Derek in comparison from a distance, once you cross the river into Manhattan, you realize she has every sexually transmitted disease imaginable.
You’re really trying to compare NYC to
Huntington and are negative towards NYC in that comparison?

I strongly dislike NYC, yet I still know that it is far, far superior to anything WV has to offer.

NC was ruined the moment the oath breaker went there, and WV improved when he left.

You’re really trying to compare NYC to
Huntington and are negative towards NYC in that comparison?

I strongly dislike NYC, yet I still know that it is far, far superior to anything WV has to offer.

Anything WEST VIRGINIA AS A WHOLE has to offer???? You’re crazy. Driving in Manhattan alone is worse than driving in most Third World Countries. And that’s saying something.

West Virginia is no Third World Country.

Reactions: 30CAT
. Driving in Manhattan alone is worse than driving in most Third World Countries.
And I'm the crazy one?

West Virginia is no Third World Country.
West Virginia average household income: $69k
Manhattan average household income: $151k

WV % of adults with a Bachelor's or higher: 20%
Manhattan % of adults with a Bachelors's or higher: 61%

WV % of people below poverty line: 18%
Manhattan % of people below poverty line: 14%

Yeah, it sure is Manhattan that is the third world country.

And I'm the crazy one?

You also don’t have to deal with huge crowds and subways that smell like ass in WV. Not everyone likes having 10 million neighbors. Some like to have a nice house with acreage Look at @WV-FAN.

And I'm the crazy one?

It cost twice as much to live in New York compared to West Virginia. Also, in West Virginia, no hustle, bustle, high crimes, high taxes, illegal aliens, sanctuary for illegals, not a target for terrorists and there's plenty of peacefulness in West Virginia.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
You also don’t have to deal with huge crowds and subways that smell like ass in WV. Not everyone likes having 10 million neighbors. Some like to have a nice house with acreage Look at @WV-FAN.
It cost twice as much to live in New York compared to West Virginia. Also, in West Virginia, no hustle, bustle, high crimes, high taxes, illegal aliens, sanctuary for illegals, not a target for terrorists and there's plenty of peacefulness in West Virginia.
None of that changes the absurd claim that he made about Manhattan being like a third-world country while defending WV.

I’m sitting in total peace, drinking an iced tea I just got from the cooler, and enjoying the garden view. I imagine there are a lot of big city dwellers who would gladly trade places with me.

Life is pretty much what you make it regardless of where you are.

I’m sitting in total peace, drinking an iced tea I just got from the cooler, and enjoying the garden view. I imagine there are a lot of big city dwellers who would gladly trade places with me.

Life is pretty much what you make it regardless of where you are.

Well said.

None of that changes the absurd claim that he made about Manhattan being like a third-world country while defending WV.

I said DRIVING in Manhattan is worse than driving in most Third World Countries. And there are some pretty dangerous, crappy roads in Third World Countries.

And yes, Manhattan is a complete and total sh!thole compared to West Virginia as a whole. Give me West Virginia any day of the week.

Most of us in Upstate New York wish we could succeed from that massive Garbage Dump. All they do is cause our taxes, insurance rates, and cost of living to skyrocket.

You want them???? Please, please, PLEASE take them!!!!!

You hit that nail SQUARELY on the head!!!! 🙂

Reactions: 30CAT
And yes, Manhattan is a complete and total sh!thole compared to West Virginia as a whole. Give me West Virginia any day of the week.
Yet education, income, luxury living, etc. are far higher in Manhattan . . . of course you will take WV, because you fail in all of those things.

Most of us in Upstate New York wish we could succeed from that massive Garbage Dump. All they do is cause our taxes, insurance rates, and cost of living to skyrocket.
Where upstate? I was born-and-raised upstate. Outside of a couple of Buffalo suburbs, Ithaca, Corning, parts of Rochester, Saratoga, and immediately upstate (Scarsdale, Fishkill, etc.), upstate is full of morons. Any upstater who thinks they can survive without NYC is completely clueless.

NYC causes your cost-of-living to skyrocket? You can't be serious.

You hit that nail SQUARELY on the head!!!! 🙂
Oh, he did? If that's the case, then tell him to explain why Manhattan and Huntington have almost the exact same violent crime and property crime rates.

Yet education, income, luxury living, etc. are far higher in Manhattan . . . of course you will take WV, because you fail in all of those things.

This behavior is often rooted in a need for control or a lack of self-confidence, and it can be extremely damaging to those on the receiving end. A belittling character may use sarcasm, insults, or condescending language to make others feel small or inferior.

So which is it? Do you have a need for control or do you lack self-confidence? My guess is a little of both.

Last edited:
i'm not sure i could be paid enough to live in an inner city or any suburb. closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and have 5 neighbors total within a mile. I have roughly a 12 or 13 minute drive to work and the nearest town, which covers approximately 10 miles. there's zero traffic issues unless i get behind a school bus, or the state road is doing road work, which is super rare.

while we could both likely move to the city and close to double our income, we live extremely comfortably and love the area where we are, and are likely in the top 5% of all earners in the area. it's just not worth the extra income to live somewhere with neighbors living damn near on top of me, even with the added conveniences of all the things we miss out on that the city has. examples: the wife has to drive over an hour to go shopping; the nearest theatre is a 40 minute drive; we have just three or four decent restaurants to eat at, no chains, which doesn't necessarily hurt my feelings. the only drawback for me is that i'm around 3.5 hours away from the chesapeake pulling a boat because laying on the bay is my favorite hobby.

we've talked about buying a place on an island in the carribean, but why? i don't really care to visit the same place twice until i've seen most of the rest of the world. we were in ireland the week before last and i absolutely loved it with exception of a one day bout of food poisoning. would i go back? absolutely, but not until i've seen the rest of what i want to in europe. and, i damn sure won't be eating any shellfish in dublin if/when we do.

i have little desire to visit any of the major US cities talked about ITT. i've been to DC multiple times (mostly for the wharf municipal fish market), been to NYC once, and to Dallas/Ft Worth once. Dallas is my favorite of the three, although NYC was pretty damn cool. the others are intriguing, but none of them make the top 5 list of places in the world i want to visit (likely not even top 10). so, i can't really comment on any of the cities, just know i don't want to live in any of them.

i'm not sure i could be paid enough to live in an inner city or any suburb. closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and have 5 neighbors total within a mile. I have roughly a 12 or 13 minute drive to work and the nearest town, which covers approximately 10 miles. there's zero traffic issues unless i get behind a school bus, or the state road is doing road work, which is super rare.

while we could both likely move to the city and close to double our income, we live extremely comfortably and love the area where we are, and are likely in the top 5% of all earners in the area. it's just not worth the extra income to live somewhere with neighbors living damn near on top of me, even with the added conveniences of all the things we miss out on that the city has. examples: the wife has to drive over an hour to go shopping; the nearest theatre is a 40 minute drive; we have just three or four decent restaurants to eat at, no chains, which doesn't necessarily hurt my feelings. the only drawback for me is that i'm around 3.5 hours away from the chesapeake pulling a boat because laying on the bay is my favorite hobby.

we've talked about buying a place on an island in the carribean, but why? i don't really care to visit the same place twice until i've seen most of the rest of the world. we were in ireland the week before last and i absolutely loved it with exception of a one day bout of food poisoning. would i go back? absolutely, but not until i've seen the rest of what i want to in europe. and, i damn sure won't be eating any shellfish in dublin if/when we do.

i have little desire to visit any of the major US cities talked about ITT. i've been to DC multiple times (mostly for the wharf municipal fish market), been to NYC once, and to Dallas/Ft Worth once. Dallas is my favorite of the three, although NYC was pretty damn cool. the others are intriguing, but none of them make the top 5 list of places in the world i want to visit (likely not even top 10). so, i can't really comment on any of the cities, just know i don't want to live in any of them.
A suburb? I think you would like Floyds Knobs IN. You could get a job at Huber's/Starlight Distillery as a taste tester.

This behavior is often rooted in a need for control or a lack of self-confidence, and it can be extremely damaging to those on the receiving end. A belittling character may use sarcasm, insults, or condescending language to make others feel small or inferior.
Would it be belittling if I called you a plagiarizer? After all, it's not the first time you've earned that title.

the wife has to drive over an hour to go shopping
This is also my biggest drawback with living in the country. I live about 30 minutes from the first shopping area of note and I find myself there most days. I hate driving an hour round trip just to pick up a few needed items.

I do like the more easy going attitude of small town living. I remember when I was building my house and our mayor at the time came to visit. He was concerned as to why I had turned my house at a 45 degree angle to the lot. He didn’t start quoting codes and making threats, he was just curious. I explained how I thought the look was more aesthetically pleasing than lining up with every other house. The mayor just shrugged and left.

In a similar situation, I had a colleague and his wife start a house in a gated ccommunity 25 miles away in a more urban area. They completed the foundation only to find it was several feet too close to the street as was stated in the division building code. The contractor was at fault and had to absorb the cost of the redo, but it set the finishing date back months.

Would it be belittling if I called you a plagiarizer? After all, it's not the first time you've earned that title.

You're as bad as rifle. It's merely a definition, thus the reason I asked the questions below it. I'm not trying to take credit for anything. Always looking for a way to bash. Typical liberal, bleaters. Giving a definition, isn't plagiarizing. It's a message board, Dukie.

Now, if you're serious about calling out plagiarizers (taking credit for other people's work) you could start with Pedo-Joe.

Reactions: 19MU88
It's merely a definition,
This implies you got it from a dictionary or some similar common source. You sure you didn't take it from a blog?

I'm not trying to take credit for anything.
Then source it when you copypasta.
It's a message board, Dukie.
Of college educated people* who know better than to plagerize.

* Except for EG, who doesn't plagerize....and probably you.

* Except for EG, who doesn't plagerize....
i hope this is one of those "i was being sarcastic" posts you often post after you've posted something asinine, as 99.9% of his posts that have what appears to be any cognitive thought put into can be googled and found elsewhere.

So which is it? Do you have a need for control or do you lack self-confidence? My guess is a little of both.
Moron, you're the one who started claiming that California was a shithole. So answer your own question.

i hope this is one of those "i was being sarcastic" posts you often post after you've posted something asinine, as 99.9% of his posts that have what appears to be any cognitive thought put into can be googled and found elsewhere.
I don't think one needs to cite phrases such as, "You're a liar", "You phlegmwad", etc.

You could have similar within an hour's drive from major metro areas. That would also allow the other things you miss out on, most of all, being within close proximity to educated people. If you could double your salary, then you're doing a huge disservice to your family by not moving to one of these three properties.

This is 30 minutes from San Diego, sits on 4 acres for $1.3, has a detached guest house hundreds of yards away and a detached office to get away from your family. Three sides of you have no neighbors for miles. There are only Only five neighbors within .3 miles, none of them within yelling distance:

This is 30 minutes from San Diego and sits on 5 acres for $1.2, but you do have five neighbors within .5 miles:

Same as above but sits on 10 acres:

You're missing out on a lot of life.

Kind of like you butchering the spelling of "asinine" and then having to go back and edit it after calling out Raoul for his spelling error, right?

Kind of like you butchering the spelling of "asinine" and then having to go back and edit it after calling out Raoul for his spelling error, right?
yeah, i spelled assinine wrong at first. but, wtf are you talking about me calling RD out for a spelling error? miss yore cracked cranium followup?

yeah, i spelled assinine wrong at first. but, wtf are you talking about me calling RD out for a spelling error? miss yore cracked cranium followup?
At first? You just spelled it wrong again, moron. When you edit that same error again, you should probably delete your comment about me considering you just made the same fvcking error after having corrected it minutes earlier.

but, wtf are you talking about me calling RD out for a spelling error? miss yore cracked cranium followup?
Read below:

Of college educated people* who know better than to plagerize.

* Except for EG, who doesn't plagerize....and probably you.
Raoul spelled "plagiarize" incorrectly twice.

Then, you followed with:

i hope this is one of those "i was being sarcastic" posts you often post after you've posted something asinine,
I thought you were mocking him for his misspelling after he called out somebody else, but I guess you missed it, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT