ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA and EvilSPN Again?

Who cares what you hate?? We have had Thursday and Friday night games in the past few years and it's not going to change

Playing once ever couple of years on a weeknight is OK.

Doing so, as the MAC and AAC do, multiple times every year,just kills your live gate. It just kills it. Plus it goofs up the routine in terms of practice and conditioning.

The only upside would be that the talking heads on Gameday would actually mention our games.

When you work and also must drive 9 hours to make a game it makes it rather difficult.

One game maybe, but just one.

Here's the problem, ESPN realizes Marshall is a national brand name, and that we are the Notre Dame of G5 football. They will suck the life out of our schedule for weeknight games, whilst the rest of CUSA is an also ran.

Meanwhile the conference needing revenue will succumb and thus, those of us that drive 9 hours to see the most recognized G5 team in the USA are royally ...

Geez fever no need to be so harsh. He is probably not alone is disliking weeknight games. It is what it is. For the record who cares that you don't care!

ND has won 4 bowl games since we moved up (Hawaii, Sun, Pinstripe, Music City). Marshall has won 10.
ND has had 1 player finish in the top 10 in Heisman voting (Brady Quinn x2) in that same time span. Marshall has 3.

ND wishes they were Marshall...

ND has won 4 bowl games since we moved up (Hawaii, Sun, Pinstripe, Music City). Marshall has won 10.
ND has had 1 player finish in the top 10 in Heisman voting (Brady Quinn x2) in that same time span. Marshall has 3.

ND wishes they were Marshall...

And people around here claim that there are too many WVU trolls. We troll ourselves with this insanity.

OK, guys, jimmine whimminie.

As to this "Notre Dame" whatever. Well, being the "Notre Dame of somehing" or the "Cadillac of somehing" or the "NY Yankees of something" or the "Einstein of somehing" does not mean the thing is Notre Dame or Cadillac or the Yankees or Einstein. It means that in that niche it plays a similar role.

Is Marshall "the Notre Dame of the G5" ? Well it certainly is on a very short list. But maybe that is not the way to express it.

But, and I think this is the point, out of CUSA, a good, let alone great, MU team moves the ratings needle more than we do? The clear answer is nobody. Out of all of the G5, we are on a very short list with maybe UConn, Boise State, UNLV, UNR, Wyoming, and the service academies.

IMHO, this is for a couple of reasons.

- MU is just more popular in its natural market than most G5s are in theirs. We just are. There are a whole lot more Marshall fans in WV than there are, say Fresno State fans around central California or Tulsa fans in Oklahoma or any MACer in any part of MACland.

- 11/14/70 and the movie thereon. The world will always have a soft spot for us, everything else being equal.

- The ongoing 80 year depression. MU, and more broadly people from the region have a footprint across multiple areas, and many retain loyality to "back home". DC, Carolinas, Georgia, Florida. Whereas most people at most G5 schools go off to college, become a whatever, and go back home to do that.

So, and this is the point, our conference mates will happily cash ESPN's checks and let us do the heavy lifting of playing all those random weekday night games. Which just kill your live gate. They just do.

OK, guys, jimmine whimminie.

But, and I think this is the point, out of CUSA, a good, let alone great, MU team moves the ratings needle more than we do? The clear answer is nobody. Out of all of the G5, we are on a very short list with maybe UConn, Boise State, UNLV, UNR, Wyoming, and the service academies.

You lost me at UConn, UNLV, UNR, and Wyoming.

We are a small, poor, overachieving school in a small-time, poor, underwhelming conference. Acting like we're better than MAC and AAC schools is ridiculous. We are lumped in with those conferences and schools because reality dictates that's where we are. If playing weeknight games gets us back on national tv, and not some sh*tty internet feed, I'm all for it.

We are a small, poor, overachieving school in a small-time, poor, underwhelming conference. Acting like we're better than MAC and AAC schools is ridiculous. We are lumped in with those conferences and schools because reality dictates that's where we are. If playing weeknight games gets us back on national tv, and not some sh*tty internet feed, I'm all for it.

We are better than the MAC and most AAC schools. Especially our history and winning %.

I am so tired of this "Notre Dame" of the G5 nonsense. No other school in the G5 looks at Marshall as some scourge of existence that gets mid major recruits based off of name alone. Boise State this school is not.

LOL! Yup I'm certain that's why WKY chose Marshall as the only school to have its flag stomped mid field when we played them. ( I do hope the team remembers that)

Dood get over it, we are the Notre Dame of G5s , and as for Boise, we will soon enough find out!

Now back to the thread.

ESPN, that evil empire started by Dan Showmaker himself , is going to screw us royally if CUSA signs on. I'd speculate they pull and ask for more Marshall games than any other conference member to purchase part of the television rights. No other team in CUSA is going to pull a market rating like we will. Honestly it may help with exposure but it does KILL the gate and likewise for those of us still working , makes it much harder to attend.

I am so tired of this "Notre Dame" of the G5 nonsense. No other school in the G5 looks at Marshall as some scourge of existence that gets mid major recruits based off of name alone. Boise State this school is not.

One would think that the Notre Dame of the G5 could demand it's own TV contract or at least a better conference.

It's one thing to be proud of Marshall but it's entirely different to be delusional. Do you think Boise thinks of itself in those terms? :confused:

I hate ESPN but like Wal Mart I do go there from time to time. If we can get on ESPN we had better get on it. I say if we had still been on it Cato would have had a chance for some serious Heisman hype, Without it he got a nice story air on Game Day. Face it, at this point in time ESPN is the big man on campus.

Man, this thread is either heavy on toungue in cheek or delusion. Not sure which.

So, Western Kentucky getting payback for some stupid stuff, equals the other G5 schools looking at Marshall as though it was one of the top schools among them. Ok then. I love Marshall and The Herd, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking the program is some major deal. Remind me of how many BCS bowls The Herd won, or New Years Day bowls, or P5 schools they have beaten. Boise has all of that. Hell, Houston has more checked off of that list than Marshall.

As for the current topic, even through all of my deep seeded hatred of ESPN, I understand and accept that having games air on even ESPN2 or the ESPN app, is far better than the crap coverage now. Thursday night or Friday night games are fine with me. I love seeing football played under the lights.

Man, this thread is either heavy on toungue in cheek or delusion. Not sure which.

Well, I hope that we continue our recent on the field, and bowl, success. Maybe, then, people will start to refer to the Herd as the "Bama of the G5". Forget that Notre Dame crap. Those folks have their own problems!

Maybe, then, people will start to refer to the Herd as the "Bama of the G5". Forget that Notre Dame crap.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I would go Bama but Bama doesn't have a movie made about them, both Marshall and Bama have a movie. Ever time both schools play at their level they get the opposing teams best shot EVERY time. Both schools have a component of Kelly green and Irish ( let me stop here for mtner Celt, Marshall was scotch Irish ). But to me he biggest comparison is the fact that we get every schools best shot every time we play. Even some schools in state are afraid to play us due to the fact they know they will lose now in Huntington, why play on the road when you know your going to lose? I agree, yet we play tough road games all the time , as does Notre Dame. Again the similarities are astounding.

Now back to the thread, Im glad we are getting the exposure from ESPN , finally we might even get mentioned on game day but in reality they will want to use us for November post World Series Tuesday games. I hate that.

I would go Bama but Bama doesn't have a movie made about them, both Marshall and Bama have a movie. Ever time both schools play at their level they get the opposing teams best shot EVERY time. Both schools have a component of Kelly green and Irish ( let me stop here for mtner Celt, Marshall was scotch Irish ). But to me he biggest comparison is the fact that we get every schools best shot every time we play. Even some schools in state are afraid to play us due to the fact they know they will lose now in Huntington, why play on the road when you know your going to lose? I agree, yet we play tough road games all the time , as does Notre Dame. Again the similarities are astounding.

Wow.

Reactions: WV_Celt
Forrest Forrest Gump isn't about Bama, it includes Bama. that movie fails to qualifiy to make Bama a bioequivalent to the Marshall Notre Dame G5 P5 comparison.

Marshall "could" go independent in Football and survive even thrive, but we need a conference for all other sports so it's logical we stay conference affiated.

Back to the thread, as by now eerbilly Celt and inbred from myhole now see, the comparisons are astounding.

Will ESPN ask CUSA to move more Marshall games than any other conference member in CUSA? One Thursday night game, I'm okay with, but if they ask for MTSU to be moved to Tuesday it simply isn't worth it to Marshall.

LOL! Yup I'm certain that's why WKY chose Marshall as the only school to have its flag stomped mid field when we played them. ( I do hope the team remembers that)

Dood get over it, we are the Notre Dame of G5s , and as for Boise, we will soon enough find out!

Now back to the thread.

ESPN, that evil empire started by Dan Showmaker himself , is going to screw us royally if CUSA signs on. I'd speculate they pull and ask for more Marshall games than any other conference member to purchase part of the television rights. No other team in CUSA is going to pull a market rating like we will. Honestly it may help with exposure but it does KILL the gate and likewise for those of us still working , makes it much harder to attend.

GreenhouseEffect------"GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT"...you look foolish. Dan S. was/is head of ESPN"U" in Charlotte. Never did Dan start ESPN. He is good---but not that talented. Forgive me Dan....I have HERD & Read lots of crazy stuff...this TOPS IT!

The MU Coaches come to Charlotte May 17 for their annual stop.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) In Charlotte

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
sportsbusinessdaily (behind a paywall) is rumoring a split deal between CBSSN and ESPN. No details of how many weeknight games, how much $$, or who get what. I assume Sinclair's ASN gets the leftovers.

I hope we do go back to ESPN and the games will be seen by more then those who have the American Sports network. It will be better for recruiting and hopefully the deal will be more lucrative. i don't see a problem with weeknight games.

GreenhouseEffect------"GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT"...you look foolish. Dan S. was/is head of ESPN"U" in Charlotte. Never did Dan start ESPN. He is good---but not that talented. Forgive me Dan....I have HERD & Read lots of crazy stuff...this TOPS IT!
o_O
The MU Coaches come to Charlotte May 17 for their annual stop.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) In Charlotte

Did you really just tell someone to get their facts straight? And, Mentioned to another they look foolish?

We have some really odd fans, on both sides. Some think Marshall is Notre dame for various, strange reasons and others who always want to downgrade any success we have. Really weird crew on here nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT