ADVERTISEMENT

Defense (or lack thereof)

AmeriKenny

Gold Buffalo
Feb 20, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Hi everyone. Hope everyone has been doing well. It's been a while since I've posted here and I'm probably a bad fan for not keeping up well with The Herd. I used to attend many Herd basketball football games when I still lived in the Huntington area.

What does everyone think about our ability to defend? Granted I haven't looked very closely at stats or even the scores from the season, I plan on closely following The Herd in The Big Dance since this hasn't happened since I have been a fan. Everyone knows defense is vital. From all the articles I've read, this is yet another very offensive-minded team. I'm worried that this will result in an early exit from the tourney.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
It's all about rebounds. If MU can keep Wichita from out bounding them by more then 5-10, they might have a shot.
Every year there is a 4-13,5-12 upset. Hasn't happen so far this year. Might be MU chance.

Reactions: AmeriKenny
We are currently 153rd/351 in defensive efficiency. Right there with ND, NC St, Creighton, Xavier, & Arizona St.

However, we’re 319th/351 in points given up per game.

People focus so much on amount of points we give up and don’t consider the amount of possessions we defend because of our pace of play.

We’ll see what we got tomorrow.

We are currently 153rd/351 in defensive efficiency. Right there with ND, NC St, Creighton, Xavier, & Arizona St.

However, we’re 319th/351 in points given up per game.

People focus so much on amount of points we give up and don’t consider the amount of possessions we defend because of our pace of play.

We’ll see what we got tomorrow.
Correct. When you get as many possessions as we do in our games, there will be more points scored. Efficiency is the only way to rate the defense

The game against Wichita State is all about rebounding... Neither team is elite defensively... If Marshall wants to have a chance they have to limit WSU to one shot per possession.

The game against Wichita State is all about rebounding... Neither team is elite defensively... If Marshall wants to have a chance they have to limit WSU to one shot per possession.
Bingo. You cannot give the other team second chance shots. One shot possessions. This will decide the ball game right there.

Pretty pumped the Eagles (local team here in Philly) won the Super Bowl and now the HERD is dancing. It's funny to see that every player on the court was probably not even born the last time Marshall made it to the tournament.

Probably not. Lmao.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT